Page 44 of 122 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    When one of your parents dies, I'm going to come to the funeral and tell jokes about fucking your mom.
    And why shouldn't you? It's just locker room talk that EVERY MAN HAS SAID AT SOME POINT after all. Totally appropriate - necessary, even, in these dark times.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Amazing. One of my 6th grade special ed students lost their grandmother from the virus. A co-worker lost their father. Another, their mother. And yet another their father in law.

But some people think it's ok that the president is making inappropriate comments at this time.
    "Well, it's ok to laugh"
    I agree. But I don't need the president to provide that entertainment. Plenty of outlets to get laughs. The president is not one.
    His "leadership" , however, is laughable.
    It's the rancid corporate mentality. Before I left my job last summer I was in a meeting where a senior manager said that a major problem (still ongoing) that caused hundreds of deaths was "a speed bump". I found that whole mentality to be poisonous & it was a small factor in me deciding it was time to leave, with health being the major one. In many segments of the capitalist society the corporation has surpassed people as the main priority. It was surreal to watch lower level management worship upper management like they were rock stars or something. These were the same uppers who have seemingly done their best to put the company in the ground. I did not see the logic of having the people who caused the problem be put in charge of fixing it. All in service of the stock price. It's just wrong in my view & is a major factor in the dysfunction with the response to the current world crisis. Just my opinion but that is coming a former ghost in the machine.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    If your church leader doesn’t voluntarily shut down in-person services, I feel pretty comfy suggesting that he/she/they are impaired, monstrous, amoral, or some combination of the three.
    I feel there's another option: cornered / desperate.

For some people, their faith is literally the ONLY thing they know how to turn to for coping. Think about it - whenever some little kid gets murdered or accidentally shot in the head by their clueless gun nut parent or something like that - there are always those who think "God has his reason". They have NO idea how to process bad news without turning to their faith. They would be utterly lost, possibly to the point of being manic or suicidal, without it. This is, to me, one of the biggest dangers of basing your entire life around faith. It's one thing to believe in something; it's another entirely to sculpt your whole world around it.

I mean, replace "church" with "money". What would YOU do if someone came along and said "we're taking all of your money, effective immediately" - but wait, there is still this place around the corner where you could get more of it. That's the level of need that some people have for their faith - and not just their faith, but their ability to connect to it as closely as they've ever learned - i.e., in a church.

All that said, I do firmly believe that all churches need to be shuttered until the virus' spread has slowed. For those who would struggle without them, I can only hope that they are able to adjust their practices and continue to find comfort in their faith while safely at home.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Coronavirus - COVID-19

What is happening in this thread?
    - Reznor singing about fucking or assault isn’t the same as an elected official bragging about assaulting women.
    -this is drift. We have a thread for sex assault
    https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...ry-in-the-News

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Considering how many churches are doing virtual services now, it seems like its more about ego and thumbing their nose at the government than about worshiping their god.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    When one of your parents dies, I'm going to come to the funeral and tell jokes about fucking your mom.
    Death is part of life and it will go on. It's very possible my mom is dying of cancer and your more than welcome to come lighten the mood.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Try laughing while you're on a ventilator because your lungs are destroyed. Let me know how that goes.
    I've had clolapsed lung, brain surgery, a shunt, you name it man. When it's my time, it's my time.

All you guys are fucked in the head sporting all your hate. It is ok to smile and feel good and enjoy life.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    And why shouldn't you? It's just locker room talk that EVERY MAN HAS SAID AT SOME POINT after all. Totally appropriate - necessary, even, in these dark times.
    She would cool with, humor can help you process hard to handle situations. I've got pleantly of joke about my mom.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_NIN65 View Post
    She would cool with, humor can help you process hard to handle situations. I've got pleantly of joke about my mom.
    It sounds like you are dealing with a lot. We have threads for personal topics in the speak your mind forum.

Please try to stick to the topic of COVID-19 while posting in this thread.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don't believe that's a valid argument. That's not how faith works.
    Not to you it's not. To others, it is. I've gone on island vacations with people who would literally leave the island, go ashore, and find the nearest church on Sunday because they HAD to be at a house of worship. Even when they're living the good life and had everything you could possibly ask for, they HAD to get to a church. Couldn't take a single Sunday off and just enjoy a beautiful lake, time with family, and spend a few minutes of private worship somewhere on the island. I can't imagine how much that need to attend mass would be intensified in times of crisis if that's how they operate in times of plenty.

And church leaders are people too - they're just as likely (if not more so) to be completely tied to the church as their parishioners. There's no magical difference between the two. They can be just as desperately in need of their building to remain open as those who come to hear them speak.

Again, I'm not defending them and I'm not for a second suggesting that churches SHOULD remain open, because they shouldn't. But just because we're able to see the physical location of worship as optional, that doesn't mean everyone else sees it the same way.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Is tooting a symptom of the rona?
    What is this, a Junji Ito body horror story come to life? Next thing we know, sharks will be walking on land on mechanical legs tearing shit up.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    in another sign of the apocalypse, grocery stores in Seattle have banned reusable shopping bags & in some cases have started to use plastic shopping bags. oh the humanity!!!!!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    If your church leader doesn’t voluntarily shut down in-person services, I feel pretty comfy suggesting that he/she/they are impaired, monstrous, amoral, or some combination of the three.
    Every fairly “religious” person I know is attending virtual “church” right now, and saying they love it. My Catholic relatives are watching Mass on TV on Sunday mornings (which the Pope has recommended for months), which have been on TV for nearly 50 years (Mass for Shut-Ins). The Pope will be conducting Palm Sunday and Easter Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica without an audience, but each will be televised.

So, yeah, the only ones left still demanding their flock appear in person surely have greed as their motive.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    in another sign of the apocalypse, grocery stores in Seattle have banned reusable shopping bags & in some cases have started to use plastic shopping bags. oh the humanity!!!!!
    I don’t get this though, as long as you use your own reusable bag and no one else touches it I don’t see the problem ?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I don’t get this though, as long as you use your own reusable bag and no one else touches it I don’t see the problem ?
    The baggers would then have to touch your cloth bag. And the virus can live on cloth for 24-48 hours.

Stores aren’t even processing returns right now. At all.

Goodwill and Salvation Army locations totally closed down and are not accepting donations.

Starbucks isn’t allowing you to use your re-usable cup.

Everything is single-use.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The grocery stores in my area have stopped bagging groceries for people. They've also erected plastic barriers between the cashiers and the customers. Everybody understands it right now.

They're still allowing the reusable bags where I am, but you have to bag it yourself.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Man, KC banned reusable bags like 2 weeks ago. I've seen so many people here happily voluntarily bagging their own groceries too. Sometimes that midwest hospitality works out really well.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    very interesting discussion about baggers. there haven't been any of those type of jobs around here in years. makes me wonder too after this...what jobs will be eliminated? the sad thing is there are companies right now plotting about this.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The baggers would then have to touch your cloth bag. And the virus can live on cloth for 24-48 hours.

Stores aren’t even processing returns right now. At all.

Goodwill and Salvation Army locations totally closed down and are not accepting donations.

Starbucks isn’t allowing you to use your re-usable cup.

Everything is single-use.
    clearly a difference between countries then. Although staff ask if you want them to help with bagging, people generally do it themselves. I have never had anyone bag my groceries for me. Actually now I come to think of it, no one is offering to do bagging right now, makes sense

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Are you all wearing masks when you go to the store now? I knew my husband was going to the store today so I made him one to wear.

Here’s the tutorial I used:

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/ho...bric-face-mask

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Are you all wearing masks when you go to the store now? I knew my husband was going to the store today so I made him one to wear.

Here’s the tutorial I used:

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/ho...bric-face-mask
    Your husband is Bucky Barnes aka the Winter Soldier? ��

New empty section at my local store: dry cat food. I did not see that one coming.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    very interesting discussion about baggers. there haven't been any of those type of jobs around here in years. makes me wonder too after this...what jobs will be eliminated? the sad thing is there are companies right now plotting about this.
    We not only have baggers in our area, the baggers ask if you want help taking the stuff TO YOUR CAR. And lots of customers take them up on that. This was sparked by competition that did that. It’s not just about competitive prices around here, it’s also about service. The customers tip, too.

Our baggers are still around in the supermarkets, that hasn’t changed. They are also the ones outside collecting the carts. Lots of them eventually move up to cashier positions.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It’s become totally “normal” in the last few weeks in the Chicago area. You look more unusual if you’re NOT wearing a mask.

It kinda reminds me of helmets with skiing and snowboarding. At first, it was like most balked at it. Then I hit my head, and had a slight concussion so I got one and found they’re actually WARMER as well as safer. Then Natasha Richardson died. Then all Vail resort employees were REQUIRED to wear helmets. Now, you look around and people kinda look HORRIFIED at people who aren’t wearing helmets, like OH MY GOD!!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    as the numbers are marching up, I'm really starting to feel the need to get some masks. I've got the gloves under control, but I can't find masks anywhere.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    as the numbers are marching up, I'm really starting to feel the need to get some masks. I've got the gloves under control, but I can't find masks anywhere.
    I looked for masked on amazon and it was saying late April to May for shipping. I hand sewed two masks in about 2 and a half hours.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @sweeterthan , I can sew and have a nice sewing machine, but I cannot find any form of elastic to save my life! There’s now a friggin’ elastic shortage! Ugh.

@Jinsai - if you have a bandana or a kerchief, you can fold it lengthwise so that it will fit comfortably over your nose and mouth (fold it, then again to double it) and then locate two hair bands. Fasten each hair band around the bandana about 1/3 way on each side. Put the bandana around your nose and mouth, and tuck each end in back through the hair bands.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    @sweeterthan , I can sew and have a nice sewing machine, but I cannot find any form of elastic to save my life! There’s now a friggin’ elastic shortage! Ugh.
    I’m using hosiery for the elastic part. I was surprised that I even have any because I never wear hose but I had some knee high ones in the back of my sock drawer that work great.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That’s not fair; I know how this works. Hey, retailers: Start demanding your distributor carry paper bags with handles.
    Our Jewel supermarkets (Safeway) paper bags all have handles. Even our cheap Whole Foods paper bags have handles.

If we didn’t have baggers, those people would be out of work. Besides collecting carts or taking groceries to cars, it’s their only job. I think they might be able to take time off, but there is no other job for them. This is it. It’s a union job, too, with upward mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I’m using hosiery for the elastic part. I was surprised that I even have any because I never wear hose but I had some knee high ones in the back of my sock drawer that work great.
    OH MY GOD, THAT’S A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!! You can SEW them???

@Jinsai see this: https://abc7chicago.com/how-to-make-...ks-n95/6071155
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 02:05 PM.