Page 16 of 122 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    They have a model that connects to your toilets water supply and it’s like a spray hose.
    that's the one I'm looking at! well, the $40 version at least. I'm not rich enough for the $65 one seeing as I have two toilets and a 14 year old to consider.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    however you feel about the toilet paper thing.... It's sold out in all my local markets and NOW it is gone on Amazon dot com. Really. TP is sold out on Amazon. People are stealing rolls from stores and restaurants.

you can't wipe your ass

Last edited by Jinsai; 03-12-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    however you feel about the toilet paper thing.... It's sold out in all my local markets and NOW it is gone on Amazon dot com. Really. TP is sold out on Amazon. People are stealing rolls from stores and restaurants.

you can't wipe your ass

That buying toilet paper in excess crap (pun intended) started off down here in Australia and made us look really stupid. I’m kinda glad it isn’t exclusive to us anymore, but sorry anyway, in case the rest of the world copied or something.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's all gone from big supermarkets up here, too.

"Big predator coming, over the horizon! Oooh, but look — George is doing something PROACTIVE. Quick, do what George is doing! Everybody do exactly what George does!"

...fucking lemmings, Jesus wept.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    The thing is that, once something like toilet paper mania gets going, it really starts to take on a life of its own, and it eventually forces perfectly rational people to adopt the same irrational mindset as all the idiots around them. You find yourself with no other choice. It's almost like some "tragedy of the commons" shit.

Let's say every single person in your neighborhood is racing to stockpile mountains of toilet paper, but you're making a conscious choice to remain calm and purchase a normal amount because that seems like the healthy, non-hysterical thing to do. What happens is that you start thinking to yourself "Wait a minute, what if I need to restock in a few weeks because I bought a normal amount and by that time there's no toilet paper left because all these fucking idiots have bought all of it out?" So even though it goes completely against your better judgement, you now find yourself racing down the aisles of Walmart with a cart stacked up high with 18 jumbo packs of toilet paper that you clawed away from some poor old grandmother.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    So how is that being handled for you? Are you still getting paid? Can you use sick leave?
    I am under contract and in a union so I assume that I'm getting paid. I feel bad for parents whose children require childcare. If both parents work 9-5 jobs and the schools (and after schools connected with the school) are closed, then what? Where I live the decision was made this afternoon. So the kids left for the day and are told to not come back for two weeks. And in two weeks who is to say this crisis will be over?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    RE: lack of toliet paper. Just use three seashells, duh.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Can confirm TP is out of stock this way too.

I think hoarding is going too far but I did stock up on the OTC meds (not a ridiculous amount though) I take just to be safe.
    Last edited by Swykk; 03-12-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I am under contract and in a union so I assume that I'm getting paid. I feel bad for parents whose children require childcare. If both parents work 9-5 jobs and the schools (and after schools connected with the school) are closed, then what? Where I live the decision was made this afternoon. So the kids left for the day and are told to not come back for two weeks. And in two weeks who is to say this crisis will be over?
    Okay, interesting. I'm just asking because I'm facing a pretty similar situation at my college, although I don't know for sure what's gonna happen. We're on spring break right now, and they cancelled classes for next week while they figure things out. We have a strong union, and the college will obviously need to function again at some point in the future, so I doubt they're going to just give us all the ax on Monday. People need to survive, so I'm assuming we'll get paid time off, but I guess we'll find out.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The toilet paper rush is so random.
    Toilet paper panic happens with every panic or disaster.

Incoming snow storms, hurricanes, anything ... toilet paper runs out.

Re parents with kids out of school:

I grew up (since I was 4 and my brother was 2) with a single Mother. What happened is parents will have to stay home. Often, without pay. That's what will happen, now.

Time off, I think at some point people will be filing for unemployment. The government will have to provide extended unemployment benefits.

This will have to include service workers, tip workers, part time workers, etc.

I got a bunch of bulk Kleenex from Amazon.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-12-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Toilet paper panic happens with every panic or disaster.

Incoming snow storms, hurricanes, anything ... toilet paper runs out.
    Interesting...definitely not a thing where I live, and we get those good old fashioned lake effect snow poundings. There will be higher than usual traffic on the odd stereotypes like bread and milk (still not sure why), and a higher demand for stuff like pasta, but shelves still look relatively stocked and you don't see carts full of toilet paper. Wonder if it's a regional thing?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Governor Pritzker just shut down all public gatherings in excess of 1,000 people for the next 30 days.

This includes all performances of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

We had two CSO tix left this season; we received an email from them, telling us we can apply a credit to next season, or receive a refund.

We just received notice from the Auditorium Theater regarding the American Ballet Theater performances scheduled for next week, canceled and they will provide further information as to what they will do about tickets.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Interesting...definitely not a thing where I live, and we get those good old fashioned lake effect snow poundings. There will be higher than usual traffic on the odd stereotypes like bread and milk (still not sure why), and a higher demand for stuff like pasta, but shelves still look relatively stocked and you don't see carts full of toilet paper. Wonder if it's a regional thing?
    Dunno but in Detroit and Chicago it’s nuts, it’s definitely a Midwest thing. Although, I remember people in the D.C. Snowmageddon buying t.p. in massive amounts, too.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/healt...now/index.html

It’s hive behavior. It starts off with some people figuring they might not be able to buy some items (due to not being able to go out, snowed in, no electricity in the stores, whatever) so they pick the “most valuable” items: bread, milk, t.p. In this case, also alcohol, bleach, sanitizer wipes, any cleaning products containing bleach, paper towels.

People SEE this, figure “shit, they must know something I don’t know.” And it starts a hive mentality.

The aisle at my supermarket containing cleaning products is totally empty. It’s nuts. I’ve never seen anything like it.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-12-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    When we finally make it through this thing, I wonder if there will be a major slump in the sales of all these hoarded items, cause everyone will be like "Welp, no need to buy toilet paper or hand sanitize for the next six years."

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^^ HAAAHAHAHA!!!

Good point!!

The Federal Government is fucking this up SO BAD, the STATES are the ones taking control and handling this shit.

Trump’s moronic speech last night - fire his speechwriter! - said that “all travel from Europe including cargo (except from the U.K.) was banned for 30 days.”

American citizens overseas PANICKED and bought EXPENSIVE tickets through the U.K.

Stocks plummeted because of the cargo ban.

Except whoops, the Trump Administration didn’t mean cargo. And it meant to exempt American citizens.

The fucking incompetence will hopefully EVENTUALLY be evident to Trump’s cult when the Tipping Point happens.

And it will.

But, I suspect they’ll just get sick and still have their heads up his ass.

This is Biblical. This is Civil War category as far as the devastation potential to this country.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-12-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Meanwhile, OMG, I love Rep. Katie Porter SO much.

Please watch this:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B9p14yF...=1dc14je6omluu

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Governor Pritzker just shut down all public gatherings in excess of 1,000 people for the next 30 days.

This includes all performances of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

We had two CSO tix left this season; we received an email from them, telling us we can apply a credit to next season, or receive a refund.

We just received notice from the Auditorium Theater regarding the American Ballet Theater performances scheduled for next week, canceled and they will provide further information as to what they will do about tickets.
    You classy bastard you.

Thankfully my mom was just really tired.
    And, I have her on the bandwagon for washing hands and using the hand wipes for door handles, etc. She's 66, so I'm concerned.
    We're prepared to hunker down for a good two weeks. I think tomorrow we'll do a last ditch run for frozen food. Thankfully she did her usual costco run for TP before things got crazy.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 03-12-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    PM Justin Trudeau's wife Sophie has tested positive for COVID-19.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...d-19-1.4850159

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    PM Justin Trudeau's wife Sophie has tested positive for COVID-19.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...d-19-1.4850159
    And comment sections Nationwide have been wishing death on her and her entire family all day long. Lovin' 2020

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Federal Government is fucking this up SO BAD, the STATES are the ones taking control and handling this shit.
    Perhaps this is one positive aspect of our governmental structure. When the federal government craps out, the States can still get shit done, at least to a certain extent. There is a modicum of resiliency in this structure.

I can not remember anytime in the last half century when a President has been so acutely unable to lead a country through a crisis. I remember speeches by Reagan, Clinton, Bush(s), and Obama which provided comfort in times of crisis. Trump has the opposite effect.

This has turned into a surrealistic nightmare. And it's starting to scare me.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Meanwhile, OMG, I love Rep. Katie Porter SO much.

Please watch this:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B9p14yF...=1dc14je6omluu
    Imagine if all electeds took their job as seriously as Ms Porter does...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Here is a sizable round up of many pop culture postponements, cancellations and other measures (Late night shows without audiences etc.)

https://ew.com/news/coronavirus-canc...ayed-canceled/

I am sure there will be more to come.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    This has turned into a surrealistic nightmare. And it's starting to scare me.
    The state and local governments making the hard decisions and that gave me a certain level of comfort during a couple of anxiety ridden days. I guess it was the level of urgency we hadn’t seen before. They’re taking this seriously even if some at the top aren’t.

Don’t forget about your (our) mental health and that of our friends and family, especially healthcare professionals. I don’t think any of us understand how different things will be over the next weeks/months...unplugging now and then will do us all some good. And I say that as a certified information junkie.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Haven't read this thread for a few days, but New York officially fucking lost it today. Shit is wild. I've never experienced anything close to this in my entire life.

We're still working, but trading days, so go in a day, work from home a day, etc. All events switched to webinar only or cancelled. All public colleges in NY (~90 unique institutions) are moving to online instruction only (kill me). I was thankfully already issued a laptop and granted VPN access when I started this new job, but most people didn't have them, and we're... out. I run the emergency laptop loan for students and they took a bunch of them to issue to staff. Our union is huge and putting a ton of pressure on the university, so won't be surprised if we're all remote next week.

I'm supposed to travel April 7 - 14. Wondering if I should just cancel now.

Broadway went dark for the next month... Colbert just started with no audience.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    My local grocery store still has plenty of water and toilet paper, which is ironic because the hospital down the street (literally a 2 minute drive from where i live, it's where my daughter was born) had the first local case of Corona on the 11th of this month. Canton as a town seems more or less unconcerned. I've been driving more or less all day and no one seemed to be paying any mind at all.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Poor Iran this really has not been their year and its only March.

BBC Persian says the cases may be so so much higher than what they are saying.

However closer to home Spain is the next one to watch out for, getting as bad as Italy, speed is standing out, doubled yesterday.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    RE: lack of toliet paper. Just use three seashells, duh.
    I... can’t believe it has a diagram.

http://www.i-mockery.com/shorts/thre...ls/default.php

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    The thing is that, once something like toilet paper mania gets going, it really starts to take on a life of its own, and it eventually forces perfectly rational people to adopt the same irrational mindset as all the idiots around them. You find yourself with no other choice. It's almost like some "tragedy of the commons" shit.

Let's say every single person in your neighborhood is racing to stockpile mountains of toilet paper, but you're making a conscious choice to remain calm and purchase a normal amount because that seems like the healthy, non-hysterical thing to do. What happens is that you start thinking to yourself "Wait a minute, what if I need to restock in a few weeks because I bought a normal amount and by that time there's no toilet paper left because all these fucking idiots have bought all of it out?" So even though it goes completely against your better judgement, you now find yourself racing down the aisles of Walmart with a cart stacked up high with 18 jumbo packs of toilet paper that you clawed away from some poor old grandmother.
    Yeah, that happened to me today. The store ended up getting some back in stock and we have only a few rolls left at home. I felt awkward buying it.