Page 11 of 122 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    On some level I understand this. I think part of what made Wuhan the perfect storm was due to the Chinese New Year, so you had massive gatherings of people. And, this virus is more contagious than normal flu, so that's highly problematic when you gather lots of people together. People can have COVID-19 and not present symptoms, and if they go to a massive event, they can transmit to more people than they would in their every day life. We still don't fully understand the mechanism of transmission yet.

Virus transmission

The measure scientists use to determine how easily a virus spreads is known as the "basic reproduction number," or R0 (pronounced R-nought). This is an estimate of the average number of people who catch the virus from a single infected person, Live science previously reported. The flu has an R0 value of about 1.3, according to The New York Times.
    Researchers are still working to determine the R0 for COVID-19. Preliminary studies have estimated an R0 value for the new coronavirus to be between 2 and 3, according to the JAMA review study published Feb. 28. This means each infected person has spread the virus to an average of 2 to 3 people.
    It's important to note that R0 is not necessarily a constant number. Estimates can vary by location, depending on such factors as how often people come into contact with each other and the efforts taken to reduce viral spread, Live Science previously reported.

From: https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...-with-flu.html
    seriously, Contagion actually does a very good job presenting this information. little scary to watch right now, yeah, but it's got the goods when it comes to this.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

So, then my husband asked the doc about testing for c-19. Doc said they couldn’t test if they wanted to; even though they’re one of the biggest hospital groups in Chicago, they had no tests, no access to tests. Looks like that’s STILL the case.
    And here's where we get pissed and tell Don Jr to shut the fuck up.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    "better wash my hands."

"all this extra washing has my hands dry as fuck. better use some hand cream."

"gotta pee then wash my hands."

"fuck i washed off all the hand cream, better put more on."

"gotta piss again but i'm gonna wait it out because i don't want to wash this hand cream off."

"ok fuck done waiting..."

^^ my morning

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    They postponed the Pokemon Go Safari Zone in St Louis because of this fucking thing. So that sucks.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 03-09-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Coronavirus - COVID-19

I’m reading that they are shutting down schools locally tomorrow because one school employee at one school. This makes no sense imo. Let the panic begin.

ETA: they’re saying this employee worked at 3 schools.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/ful...BPBDVSSQKV23E/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Glad I have a backlog of video games that I've yet to play in the event of being stuck at home.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    It's crazy, I work for a local High School and we already got our information from the health department on possible school closures. My coworker and I were talking and saying that we think shit is gonna hit the fan with spring break going on this week and next week.
    Yes, it's going to be crazy. My husband is a teacher in a middle school, and I work at an arts center where we follow the school district's calendar and closing policy. Depending on how long the school/we're closed for - we're worried we may have to give people refunds on their art classes.

There are lot of organizations/businesses out there that also follow the school districts.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I’m reading that they are shutting down schools locally tomorrow because one school employee at one school. This makes no sense imo. Let the panic begin.

ETA: they’re saying this employee worked at 3 schools.
    Honestly this seems pretty standard so far: "closed tomorrow to sanitize and reevaluate." Basically they have to do some dot connecting to see if others were at risk and, if so, extend closure accordingly.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Coronavirus - COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Honestly this seems pretty standard so far: "closed tomorrow to sanitize and reevaluate." Basically they have to do some dot connecting to see if others were at risk and, if so, extend closure accordingly.
    It’s the largest county in the state. More than just the affected schools are closing - all of them except the city schools are closed tomorrow.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    It’s the largest county in the state. More than just the affected schools are closing - all of them except the city schools are closed tomorrow.
    I get what you’re saying. It may seem like overkill but I think administrators are getting a bit twitchy seeing what is occurring overseas. We’re three-ish weeks behind major outbreak centers like Italy and Iran. We’ve so far got a shit testing program and a government with as much transparency as a concrete wall. State and local governments are on their own...if a school wants an in-service day to plan for future shit...I say have at it.

A school here is doing that next week. Local gossip says a girl claimed to have covid and posted it on social media...not realizing it was a different coronavirus strain. There was...uproar. So the school is scheduling a day next week to go over protocol. Honestly I think they’ll have a real case before then. We’ll see.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Pence can go fuck himself (with Mother's permission, of course) with his smug, fake-earnest expressions and general disposition. Fuckin' fraud.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Omg, if she has difficulty breathing or a tightness in her chest, take her back and make them do a Covid-19 test!!

Meanwhile, rest, LOTS (!) of liquids, and stay home (of course). I hope she’s okay.
    She went back to a Dr's office today (had an appt booked for a different reason) and they tested her for covid-19 and it was negative. She does have an ear infection though, hospital didn't catch that yesterday. Anyway, glad she doesn't have that crap.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    That is unreal. Holy fuck.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ OMG

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    She went back to a Dr's office today (had an appt booked for a different reason) and they tested her for covid-19 and it was negative. She does have an ear infection though, hospital didn't catch that yesterday. Anyway, glad she doesn't have that crap.
    Oh thank God, I was worried about her today. Glad you posted an update. Hope she feels better, soon.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    this is a political cartoon about Pence being in charge of the campaign. it references his past in a way that is humorous but also could be a trigger, so if you don't like references to conversion therapy don't click it.

https://cloudinary.cagle.com/image/u...ons/235599.png

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    St. Patrick's day parade in Boston is cancelled due to the virus. The parade is a really big deal around here. This thing is really starting to spiral out of control.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    St. Patrick's day parade in Boston is cancelled due to the virus. The parade is a really big deal around here. This thing is really starting to spiral out of control.
    It’d really spiral out-of-control if all those people actually got sick with the virus. Canceling a bunch of social events and work and school to keep people as far away from each other as possible is the way to kill the virus off, to stop it from spreading.

They canceled all the St. Pat’s parades IN IRELAND.

That data up there ^^ is crazy; each infected person passes it on to 3-4 people, average. And it’s EXPONENTIAL.

So that one person becomes like 19,000 people really quickly.

This virus is EXCEPTIONALLY CONTAGIOUS. And it has a 14% mortality rate in people above 80. They think that as many as 9,484 have already been infected in the U.S. Multiply each one by 3, and then THOSE by 3.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-10-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    annnnd, it begins:

say goodbye to concerts this year, friends.

Whole country of Italy locked down:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6652952/i..._xz4x6m0q8rLFI

If this did this sooner with all of China, we wouldn't be in this situation. I feel like locking a country down at this point is too little too late.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 03-10-2020 at 12:56 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    What would be “too late” would be doing this after 500,000 people were dead.

The Spanish Flu (1918) killed 675,000 Americans.

Recent research determined that the Spanish Flu was particularly deadly because our immune system was no match for it.

https://www.history.com/topics/world...8-flu-pandemic

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide—about one-third of the planet’s population—and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims, including some 675,000 Americans. The 1918 flu was first observed in Europe, the United States and parts of Asia before swiftly spreading around the world. At the time, there were no effective drugs or vaccines to treat this killer flu strain. Citizens were ordered to wear masks, schools, theaters and businesses were shuttered and bodies piled up in makeshift morgues before the virus ended its deadly global march.

What is known, however, is that few locations were immune to the 1918 flu—in America, victims ranged from residents of major cities to those of remote Alaskan communities. Even President Woodrow Wilson reportedly contracted the flu in early 1919 while negotiating the Treaty of Versailles, which ended World War I.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-10-2020 at 01:16 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Very disturbing thread from Italy, please read for insider perspective:

This is the English translation of a post of another ICU physician in Bergamo, Dr. Daniele Macchini. Read until the end

“After much thought about whether and what to write about what is happening to us, I felt that silence was not responsible. I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder. I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly "emptied", elective activities were interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible. All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity. I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.

The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace. The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia. Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is “temporarily" put in crisis, the epidemiological disaster is taking place. And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing. Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized. Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before. The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask "what can I do for you now?"

Doctors who move beds and transfer patients, who administer therapies instead of nurses. Nurses with tears in their eyes because we can't save everyone, and the vital parameters of several patients at the same time reveal an already marked destiny. There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols. Some of our colleagues who are infected also have infected relatives and some of their relatives are already struggling between life and death. So be patient, you can't go to the theatre, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate.

We just try to make ourselves useful. You should do the same: we influence the life and death of a few dozen people. You with yours, many more. Please share this message. We must spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy." I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?
    Last edited by allegro; 03-10-2020 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Can the whole wide world go in quarantine for a month now? Thanks.

Globally, they need to give us a few days to stock up on a months worth of supplies and just tell everyone to just stay home until this blows over.
    Seriously. Let everyone stop going to work and school for a month. With the exception of say hospitals. Hospitals stay open in the event of emergencies.
    But I think they need to just give the world a month off.

After a month, if someone shows signs of illness, they stay home but people that have no illness can slowly start going back to their regular routine.
    I know it'll never happen... but it's nice to dream lol. I mean, I wouldn't mind a month off work to just sit at home, lol. I'd totally volunteer to do it, I won't mind! (I broke my wrist, elbow and rib last summer and was off work for 3 months). Sat in the house for a good 45 days straight, and that was when I was in pain. Now, being in good health, yeah... i'd be down to just sit here. wouldn't be all that bad as long as I had enough food and the internet stayed running.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    All of Italy is in lock down now. Pearl Jam just postponed the first leg of their tour indefinitely & it looks like Coachella is going to be postponed until October. This is escalating rapidly & daily. Remember to wash your hands like you just touched Trump or Pence!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    My brother just left for Costa Rica last night. He didn't seem worried. Central Americans are a hardy bunch.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Can the whole wide world go in quarantine for a month now? Thanks.

Globally, they need to give us a few days to stock up on a months worth of supplies and just tell everyone to just stay home until this blows over.
    Seriously. Let everyone stop going to work and school for a month. With the exception of say hospitals. Hospitals stay open in the event of emergencies.
    But I think they need to just give the world a month off.

After a month, if someone shows signs of illness, they stay home but people that have no illness can slowly start going back to their regular routine.
    I know it'll never happen... but it's nice to dream lol. I mean, I wouldn't mind a month off work to just sit at home, lol. I'd totally volunteer to do it, I won't mind! (I broke my wrist, elbow and rib last summer and was off work for 3 months). Sat in the house for a good 45 days straight, and that was when I was in pain. Now, being in good health, yeah... i'd be down to just sit here. wouldn't be all that bad as long as I had enough food and the internet stayed running.
    This dr agrees with my statement that everyone in metropolitan areas should just self isolate now for 14 days to prevent the spread.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...09-p548ao.html

"Given this uncertainty, to protect everyone, especially the elderly and vulnerable, we should do what Italy is finally doing and China has done before - isolate everyone, in major population centres, at home for two weeks where that is possible, to try to contain spread.

Two weeks now will be difficult and expensive, but at least most people will be well. Taking this action later will be much harder. People half-expect strong government action similar to other affected countries. We should close schools, universities and many businesses to reduce new cases, enable preparations, ramp up arrangements for protective and supportive equipment, increase capacity in hospitals, free and create ICU beds for life support. We can isolate returning travelers, work from home. Most of all we must properly guide and protect our health workers.

Already we advocate avoiding unnecessary travel and close personal contact, efficient hand-washing and responsible cleaning of surfaces and body fluids, and for health workers and carers, using masks, gowns, gloves and eye protection of high quality. These are our current defences.
    Committing to isolation to slow the disease spread at this critical stage, and reducing close contact when possible, may help us to manage the weeks and months before we have a vaccine, or forms of treatment, to lessen the impact of COVID-19 disease. If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    My brother just left for Costa Rica last night. He didn't seem worried. Central Americans are a hardy bunch.
    I have a co-worker who is leaving to go on a cruise off the coast of Mexico next week. He's not afraid. Says "If I get it, I'll shake it off in 2 days and go on with life" lol.
    If I had a cruise lined up, I'd be cancelling that nonsense. Take the financial hit. Hope he's ready to be stuck at sea for a month lol.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 03-10-2020 at 03:18 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Not sure there are many English football fans on this board but the ramifications this could have on UK clubs would be disastrous!

The football leagues here are holding out as long as they can regarding playing games behind closed doors. They won't go down the Italy route of just shutting it all down, there's too much money for TV rights and scheduling and all that bollocks for them to do that, so chances are the rest of the season for our 4 main leagues would happen with no fans in the stadiums.
    This would kill a bunch of clubs. Earlier this season a 3rd tier club already went bust due to poor management of funds (it's a massive rabbit hold of a story but to sum it up clubs are having to spend well over the odds for standard players, there's too much money at the top but not enough trickling down) and a number of clubs are already on a knife edge, if they lost the revenue from fans attending games for a month or 2 a number would go under and likely wouldn't recover.
    To be honest this was going to happen eventually, but it could all happen at once thanks to the virus, but if we need to contain the virus there's nothing we can do.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    My parents had a cruise lined up for Sunday, and it got canceled an hour before their flight took off. I was pretty happy that they didn't get on the plane, and that they'll be OK. They're older so it makes a big difference.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

oh yeah, because that's the problem right now.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Start of our tour was canceled, and now the city for the new start date has just announced a three week ban on "large gatherings".

This year is going to be......stressful.