Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
... or any album, or any song.

Even a professional critic who's listened to thousands of albums needs time to allow music to breathe. Knee-jerk reactions are often so forced. The 'miss' videos where the listeners don't react at all is how almost everyone really consumes music. They don't stop and start in the middle of a track and act like they're offended and provide running commentary. All of that is a construct for the camera. Most will silently listen, maybe bop their head a little if they're into it, and if they don't like it, just silently turn it off and move on to something else.

When I first listened to Not The Actual Events, I said out loud "What the fuck did I just listen to?". That's a pretty intense reaction, but that was it. It's an intense EP. I had no idea if I even liked what I'd just heard. I think it took three years for me to get into Burning Bright. If I'd made a reaction video at that time, I'd probably have said that the EP sucked, that the music was too repetitively simple, that the vocals were all buried with few hooks, that it was mixed horribly, that the songs were incongruous with each other, and that the only bit I enjoyed was the chorus of track 2.
Yeah especially Branches/Bones, at first I was like "This sounds tinny and forced." it wasn't until I heard a live recording of it I changed my mind to "holy shit this song is brutal!"