Thread: NIN spotting 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Have just read Rob Sheridan's AMA Reddit thing. One question that went unanswered referred to the possibility that The Idea Of You was actually an outtake from the With Teeth sessions - the link obviously being Grohl's drums. Anyone have anything else concrete on this, or is this just idle speculation?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Anyone have anything else concrete on this, or is this just idle speculation?
    I think that was just speculation. When Not The Actual Events came out, there were a few people who were absolutely convinced that it was comprised of leftovers from previous albums, mainly because of some of the production and the presence of Grohl and Dave Navarro. Personally, I always thought that was incredibly silly. Trent is friends with those guys, so I never understood why it was so inconceivable that they could contribute new material to the EP.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I think that was just speculation. When Not The Actual Events came out, there were a few people who were absolutely convinced that it was comprised of leftovers from previous albums, mainly because of some of the production and the presence of Grohl and Dave Navarro. Personally, I always thought that was incredibly silly. Trent is friends with those guys, so I never understood why it was so inconceivable that they could contribute new material to the EP.
    What had me going was the sound of TR's voice, which suddenly sounded a decade younger in some spots.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    What had me going was the sound of TR's voice, which suddenly sounded a decade younger in some spots.
    Eh, but how much different is that from how he sounds today? Certainly in a live setting there's a noticeable difference, but on the albums, it's pretty hard to tell. It's certainly not like the difference between Fragile-era Trent and With Teeth-era Trent.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Eh, but how much different is that from how he sounds today? Certainly in a live setting there's a noticeable difference, but on the albums, it's pretty hard to tell. It's certainly not like the difference between Fragile-era Trent and With Teeth-era Trent.
    The song that sticks out in my memory, is The Idea of You. It's not just the part where he is yelling, it's everything around that. His voice just sounds younger (maybe lighter is a way to describe it), and both the style of singing (and vocal recording production) is reminiscent of the WT to YZ era.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Have just read Rob Sheridan's AMA Reddit thing. One question that went unanswered referred to the possibility that The Idea Of You was actually an outtake from the With Teeth sessions - the link obviously being Grohl's drums. Anyone have anything else concrete on this, or is this just idle speculation?
    He had a Patreon AMA a few days before that and I asked him the same thing (about "The End", "Good Day" and "Cover It Up" having any similarities with "Idea of You") . Here's his response: "I should probably not comment any further on that one, it's really not my place to talk about unreleased NIN stuff."

Last edited by paul_guyet; 02-16-2020 at 01:23 PM.