Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN spotting 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    They're all print on demand, which I'm not a fan of. I stopped doing Teespring because I was not happy with how the shirts held up to repeated washing. I have shirts from the 90s that look better than a couple of the ETS shirts I did as print on demand. The last few I did were with Cotton Bureau and were proper ink/silkscreen, but it was a fight to get them not to fuck that up, after they fucked up the first batch.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This has probably been posted already, but I just came across it:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    This has probably been posted already, but I just came across it:

I'm trying to find some Weeknd/Kanye/NIN stage comparisons but I'm only getting clickbait. Has anyone found any side-by-sides?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I'm trying to find some Weeknd/Kanye/NIN stage comparisons but I'm only getting clickbait. Has anyone found any side-by-sides?
    I haven't found side-by-sides, but there's pictures for The Weeknd and NIN on leroybennett.com

This is from The Weeknd's The Madness Tour (2015):

Relevant topics to search on Google:

Stufish Entertainment Architects
    Leroy Bennett (Designer)
    Todd Kaplan (Photographer)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I haven't found side-by-sides, but there's pictures for The Weeknd and NIN on leroybennett.com

This is from The Weeknd's The Madness Tour (2015):
    Oh dang, that really does look like a NIN set. In fact, it looks like several different NIN sets sort of smashed together.

It makes you wonder how that happens; does the designer just reuse previous concepts without discussing it with artists? Or does the artist get to flip through a portfolio of work and pick something that somebody else has already done?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Oh dang, that really does look like a NIN set. In fact, it looks like several different NIN sets sort of smashed together.

It makes you wonder how that happens; does the designer just reuse previous concepts without discussing it with artists? Or does the artist get to flip through a portfolio of work and pick something that somebody else has already done?
    I'm sure it became, "Oh, you did 'x' event? I'd love for our set to be that + 'y'". It seems like it probably started out much more innocently, with someone on the crew making a suggestion based on a show they saw or worked.

The Lady Gaga tour in question was the Born This Way Ball, but I haven't looked through enough pictures to see what the fuss is about.

Here's U2:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is old, but at the end of this 1999 VMAs pre show interview with Aaliyah, she says she’s a huge fan of NIN. I’d heard about this, but never saw her actually saying it

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I'm only 10 minutes into this 2016 BBC documentary and they've already played two clips of NIN songs. (Warning edit: There's some real life death and gore in this if you'd rather avoid seeing it)
    Last edited by Wolfkiller; 07-10-2020 at 02:36 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    I'm only 10 minutes into this 2016 BBC documentary and they've already played two clips of NIN songs. (Warning edit: There's some real life death and gore in this if you'd rather avoid seeing it)
    Adam Curtis tends to use NIN a lot. Also lots of Aphex, Burial, Clint Mansell. His documentaries are essential viewing for understanding the world we live in today. Hypernormalisation is extraordinary. I also recommend 'The Century of the Self' and 'All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace'. All have lots of NIN, used brilliantly.

It's worth checking out this interview with him on Adam Buxton's podcast (weirdly one of the guys who introduced NIN at Glastonbury a few posts above). Curtis speaks of Right Where It Belongs being one of his favourite ever songs towards the end of the episode. http://adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts/ep44-adam-curtis.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Watchmen Q&A moved here

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Josh Freese remembering LITS. Is this video from AVOTT?

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Is this video from AVOTT?
    Yep.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

it's a new mash-up... it won't be to everyone's liking.... I dig it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Mike Shinoda mentions NIN fandom (he’s another contender for inducting NIN into RRHOF in my opinion

Another podcast for Watchmen promotion.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/be...screen-1302903
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Like any kind of artist, the guy probably has a portfolio or a demo reel that includes photos and video of all their best productions, which would undoubtedly include NIN. Any graphic designer would know that when pitching concepts to a client, they often like to take their two favorites and bash them together with a shovel (whether they go together or not), making a Frankenstein's monster comprised of mishmashed parts of both. Either that, or the visual artist who designed the stage setups has a somewhat limited bag of tricks to draw from (though I believe the former to be the case).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Out of interest, regarding the Emmy awards, in the category ‘music supervision’ the Watchmen episode with the nostalgia flashbacks is put forward, (that contains The Way it Used to Be), but also the Black Mirror episode with On a Roll (although both under the name of the person supervising the musical choice!)
    https://www.emmys.com/sites/default/...on-2020-v1.pdf

Also The Way it Used to Be has been put forward in the category ‘outstanding music & lyrics’, just under the category ‘music’
    https://www.emmys.com/sites/default/...ic-2020-v1.pdf

Sorry, should add that the score for the first episode is nominated generally under Limited Series - for some reason they seem to nominate individual episodes rather than an overall thing, which I suppose makes sense inthe context of TV with lots of episodes

Dispatches From Elsewhere was also put forward
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-14-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Wasn't really sure where to post this, but get a load of the latest NIN FB Page....also, check out the qualifying questions to get in, I'm still waiting for my results.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Rob Sheridan found out about the right-wingers cocksuck group and he has words.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Rob Sheridan found out about the right-wingers cocksuck group and he has words.

LOL @ the RATM/TM fans who just realized the band was political

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    billy boy slaps them for Coachella headline in 3... 2...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Love-in for Finck and "31 Ghosts IV" happening on Josh Freese's instagram throwback to 2008 (JMJ chimes in on the comments, too).

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Someone must have posted this before, but...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsi8eysgjAG/

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Someone in the comments of the new fucked up animation by MeatCanyon likened the audio track to Tetsuo: The Bullet Man. Must say I agree. It’s damn awesome:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Summer Sonic 2020 Archive Vol. 2:

Day-1: Boom Boom Satellites(2009)、B’z(2009)、Coldplay(2008)、The Flaming Lips(2009)、Oasis(2005)、Sigur Ros(2012)、Sonic Youth(2009) ※出演順ではありません
    Day-2: Green Day(2012)、Nine Inch Nails(2009)、The Prodigy(2008)、Rihanna(2012)、X Japan(2011) ※出演順ではありません

2009 NIN set will be broadcast, probably full set, or it could be a concise 50-minute edit of highlights.
    Footage available for 24 hours.

*Think this probably deserves its own thread.
    I highly recommend people to watch the Boom Boom Satellites set from 2009. They're a Japanese band, but they wrote the lyrics in English.
    If you're into NIN, there's a good chance you'd love BBS as well. Their lead singer, Michiyuki Kawashima, passed away in 2016, but their body of work is worth checking out.
    Of course Flaming Lips 2009 & Sigur Ros' 2012 sets will be highlights from Day 1 as well.
    Day 2 is quite underwhelming apart from NIN to me. If you're into Japanese rock, X would be worth your time.
    I miss Flint but their live set is to be experienced imo, its essence was never really captured on film.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 07-20-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Summer Sonic 2020 Archive Vol. 2:

Day-1: Boom Boom Satellites(2009)、B’z(2009)、Coldplay(2008)、The Flaming Lips(2009)、Oasis(2005)、Sigur Ros(2012)、Sonic Youth(2009) ※出演順ではありません
    Day-2: Green Day(2012)、Nine Inch Nails(2009)、The Prodigy(2008)、Rihanna(2012)、X Japan(2011) ※出演順ではありません

2009 NIN set will be broadcast, probably full set, or it could be a concise 50-minute edit of highlights.
    Footage available for 24 hours.

*Think this probably deserves its own thread.
    I highly recommend people to watch the Boom Boom Satellites set from 2009. They're a Japanese band, but they wrote the lyrics in English.
    If you're into NIN, there's a good chance you'd love BBS as well. Their lead singer, Michiyuki Kawashima, passed away in 2016, but their body of work is worth checking out.
    Of course Flaming Lips 2009 & Sigur Ros' 2012 sets will be highlights from Day 1 as well.
    Day 2 is quite underwhelming apart from NIN to me. If you're into Japanese rock, X would be worth your time.
    I miss Flint but their live set is to be experienced imo, its essence was never really captured on film.
    Are these full performances?!?!?! Cuz fuck me, I wanna see The Prodigy! Only saw clips from it.
    You didn't like World's On Fire? I love the Brixton '97 footage. Wish they released the whole show. Even World's On Fire is an edited down concert film. Chopped a few tracks. But, yea, it's nothing like really being in a crowd during The Prodigy blowing the roof off. I miss that feeling.
    Last edited by neorev; 07-20-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Are these full performances?!?!?! Cuz fuck me, I wanna see The Prodigy! Only saw clips from it.
    It's likely that these are just highlights, what was originally broadcast. For NIN, that was 4 songs over 16 minutes. For The Prodigy, it was 3 songs over 14 minutes. In fact, you can see the song copyright-matching information in the YouTube video description already. It doesn't have NIN, but it does have the Prodigy songs: Breathe, Firestarter, SMBU; the same 3 songs as originally broadcast.

It will be nice to get them in better quality though.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    For NIN, that was 4 songs over 16 minutes.
    But do we have even this footage in better-than-youtube quality? It's not in the archive

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    But do we have even this footage in better-than-youtube quality? It's not in the archive
    I have it in letterboxed MPEG-2 format, but it's very middling quality. I expect that this will be better, coming directly from the broadcast masters.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    It's likely that these are just highlights, what was originally broadcast. For NIN, that was 4 songs over 16 minutes. For The Prodigy, it was 3 songs over 14 minutes. In fact, you can see the song copyright-matching information in the YouTube video description already. It doesn't have NIN, but it does have the Prodigy songs: Breathe, Firestarter, SMBU; the same 3 songs as originally broadcast.

It will be nice to get them in better quality though.
    I could've sworn they also broadcasted the track World's On Fire

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    You didn't like World's On Fire? I love the Brixton '97 footage. Wish they released the whole show. Even World's On Fire is an edited down concert film. Chopped a few tracks. But, yea, it's nothing like really being in a crowd during The Prodigy blowing the roof off. I miss that feeling.
    i saw prodigy live in 97 while on a significant amount of speed, and have yet to see a single video or audio clip that can even come close to replicating the experience of being smack dab in the middle of the pit/dance party/crowd surfing mayhem of that set. sometimes i miss being a teenager, not often, but sometimes.