Thread: Parasite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    you guys are nuts. Movie was incredible and is my favorite of the year. LOVED Uncut Gems, but this is better. It has more to say, the directing/writing/editing is incredible, i loved the twists & turns, i loved the signature weirdness at times from the director & left me thinking about it for days after.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    you guys are nuts. Movie was incredible and is my favorite of the year. LOVED Uncut Gems, but this is better. It has more to say, the directing/writing/editing is incredible, i loved the twists & turns, i loved the signature weirdness at times from the director & left me thinking about it for days after.
    Yeah. This was exactly what I worried about, and I think even mentioned in some thread here. This movie is so fucking good, that it was bound to attract good publicity, and when everyone and their mother says that this is a must watch, 10/10 movie, then some people will immediately look at it through the lens of trying to disprove the hype. Which is understandable.

@Conan The Barbarian anyway, this movie is REALLY worth it, and while I am surprised it actually got a best picture Oscar nomination, it is not at all undeserved. Just don't expect anything explosive, as it is very much a character oriented dramedy, with the plot being quite simple. It's beautifully shot, the pace is great, the acting is top notch and it doesn't want to tell you what to think about the moral of the story. You can interpret this movie and chatracters many ways, and that's the most fun of it all.

This movie disgustingly finds balance in its own ingredients. It's appealing to a wider audience, but at the same time, there are small details throughout the whole movie you can enjoy if you pay closer attention. It's funny and it's sad. It's a lighthearted family comedy, and it's a constant lump in your throat, because the movie gives off a certain tension, and you keep expecting... something.

Whether you will like this movie or not, the hype is most definitely real, and if you were familiar with the director, you knew this was going to be a hit once the end credits rolled in. Trust me, the biggest obstacle this movie has is that it's Asian. If Marriage Story, which has some high highs, but low lows as well got the fan craze it did despite it's many flaws, then I can confidently say that if Parasite was an American movie, it would slaughter the Oscars. Cho Yeo-jeong would be a guaranteed winner for best actress, just to begin with. Then again, we can't blame anyone for cultural differences, so I can totally understand everyone who are turned off from this.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Whether you will like this movie or not, the hype is most definitely real, and if you were familiar with the director, you knew this was going to be a hit once the end credits rolled in. Trust me, the biggest obstacle this movie has is that it's Asian. If Marriage Story, which has some high highs, but low lows as well got the fan craze it did despite it's many flaws, then I can confidently say that if Parasite was an American movie, it would slaughter the Oscars. Cho Yeo-jeong would be a guaranteed winner for best actress, just to begin with. Then again, we can't blame anyone for cultural differences, so I can totally understand everyone who are turned off from this.
    At least I wasn't trying to disprove the hype, and I didn't think that the movie being Japanese was an obstacle. That was never a factor for me, I thought that the dialogue and general feel of the movie was universal but like I said, the over the top violence scene was too much for me, it didn't fit with the rest of the tone of the movie, and ruined the resolution of this film. Sure, it was trying to transmit the anger of the lower class towards the upper class but this is something that wouldn't happen in real life, at least not like this. A different climax scene and I would had been raving about this movie.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    At least I wasn't trying to disprove the hype, and I didn't think that the movie being Japanese was an obstacle.
    Korean.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Korean.
    My bad, sorry. I got confused with the similarly hyped Japanese movie from last year, Shoplifters. Too much of a slow burn for me, I liked it ok but didn't understand the hype behind it.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I was so happy!
    @Haysey My pleasure!
    At least I wasn't trying to disprove the hype, and I didn't think that the movie being Japanese was an obstacle. That was never a factor for me, I thought that the dialogue and general feel of the movie was universal but like I said, the over the top violence scene was too much for me, it didn't fit with the rest of the tone of the movie, and ruined the resolution of this film. Sure, it was trying to transmit the anger of the lower class towards the upper class but this is something that wouldn't happen in real life, at least not like this. A different climax scene and I would had been raving about this movie.
    Understandable, but the climax of that movie had its purpose imo. The movie became so intense, that it was due for such a release. It was predictable, but I prefer this compared to some crazy twist.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    ...but this is something that wouldn't happen in real life.
    To me, this is never a valid complaint when it comes to films, because films are not real life. They're the distorted funhouse mirror version of life. I can't remember the exact quote, but the comedian Richard Ayoade once said that the second you put a lens on a camera and point it at something with intention and purpose, you've left reality behind. It's already exaggerated, so adhering completely to reality is a moot point. It's not real life. It's a film.

I can't really see that climax being unrealistic though. There's nothing particularly fantastical about it in my opinion.

At least I wasn't trying to disprove the hype, and I didn't think that the movie being Japanese was an obstacle.
    It's Korean, by the way.