Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Just Lana W. but not Lilly? I thought they always worked together

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Just Lana W. but not Lilly? I thought they always worked together
    my thoughts, as well. also wondering why no laurence fisburne?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The Matrix Reloaded was still pretty good. Revolutions was the one that was mediocre. I don't know how they'll continue the story, given that the only characters confirmed to be returning died in the original trilogy, but I have faith that they have a good idea of how to tackle that.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my thoughts, as well. also wondering why no laurence fisburne?
    Apparently the rumor is that they're looking for an actor to play a younger version of Morpheus, which may explain the absence of Lawrence Fishbourne's name in the announcement. Or maybe they're still negotiating salary with him? Maybe the plot of the movie will involve time travel, or traveling to a previous version of The Matrix where younger versions of some of the characters exist? Who knows, but I'm really hoping they come up with a story that blows me away as much as the first movie did back in '99.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    The Matrix Reloaded was still pretty good. Revolutions was the one that was mediocre.
    Other way around IMO. Reloaded spends most of its screentime on action sequences that are narratively near-worthless (Neo vs a million Smiths ends in a stalemate, there's basically no reason for Seraph to fight Neo, Trinity's powerstation bombing gets repeated frame-for-frame, retrieving the Keymaker is a small plotbeat that seems to take half the movie). It has the major problem that Neo suddenly has trouble winning any fights when he spent all of the first movie becoming a god. They allude to stuff that's presumably in Enter The Matrix and other non-movie sources. And while they spend vast chunks of the film on stuff that doesn't matter, important narrative beats either happen off-screen, or are rushed through so quickly that it's tricky to figure out what it is or why it's happening (the crew of that other ship all dying apparently because of a broken gangplank, the Architect's notorious monologue). Reloaded feels like a bloated film made by creators who were smug with their own success.

Revolutions on the other hand has the biggest emotional beats of the series, one of the greatest epic battle sequences ever filmed, great doom-laden atmosphere, and manages to deliver what I thought was a satisfying conclusion to the mess that was Reloaded. It also doesn't have the depowered Neo problem, given that he only has one fight in the matrix, and it's versus another godlike figure.

Revolutions is almost on par with the original for me. Both sequels, however, could have benefited from more non-CGI martial arts. There's not a lot of it, and it's a big part of why the original is such a classic.