Thread: Lil Nas X samples 34 Ghosts IV - Old Town Road

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    The Closer beat is literally a looping sample of Iggy Pop's Nightclubbing.
    Yes. And it's an almost featureless 4/4 drum beat, it's practically a preset. Reznor composed, performed, and arranged 34 Ghosts (or the first two, then left the room for 20 minutes for Atticus to do the last part).
    Also, the 'Nightclubbing' sample in 'Closer' is the least interesting thing about 'Closer' whereas the sample from 34 is THE ONLY REASON anyone is paying 'Old Town Road' any attention.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    the sample from 34 is THE ONLY REASON anyone is paying 'Old Town Road' any attention.
    A song does not reach #1 because fans of what most folks consider to be a 90s band are upset about it. It had a ton of momentum before this aspect of the song got discussed.

I would like to show all the love to @Max who is handling this conversation with such patience and grace. Much of my research is rooted in overt and implicit bias. Mostly in policing practices, but as a whole, too. Thank you for your contributions to this discussion. You have an ability to stay calm and measured while engaging in difficult discussions with people, and that is admirable.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    A song does not reach #1 because fans of what most folks consider to be a 90s band are upset about it. It had a ton of momentum before this aspect of the song got discussed.
    Sorry, I didn’t mean people find the song interesting because it samples NIN, I meant the only thing interesting about the song, sonically, is the 34 sample.