Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Anime

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    I honestly don’t know why we are doing this to Cowboy Bebop.
    That Netflix live-action One Piece series is still very much alive, also.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That Netflix live-action One Piece series is still very much alive, also.
    ...what? Next they'll be talking about live action Eva...oh god please no.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I actually really dig it... Especially Cho's look. I also wanna see what direction they go with, but I have faith that they will stay somewhat faithful to the original. I dunno... I'm keeping the glass half full on this one.
    See that's where i'm worried, there is a very thin line between getting this spot on in feel and style whilst being different enough for it to stand on it's own from the anime. If it strays too far away it's another Death Note, too close and it just becomes "well why would i watch this over the anime?" and Netflix...aren't exactly stellar in their hit ratio. It could be amazing, it could hit that sweet spot and become it's own thing whilst being true to Bebop, it's just such a small target and i can't tell from the pictures alone.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Oh... Ok.

Not just for Jet Black's change, i don't want this to happen, i don't see the point on ruining one of the best Animes ever...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    It will most likely stink, but I don't see it ruining anything. CB has a reputation of its own that it will easily be forgettable. The anime is a classic, but if this is even half good, it won't ruffle my feathers all that much.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'll pass, I'll just watch Firefly again, which is the closest thing to a live action Cowboy Bebop I need.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I'm in it for the new Yoko Kanno soundtrack, but my expectations are set on low.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Worth mentioning that on Monday the info for the Collectors and Standard editions for Eva came out, far more affordable and not limited (can pretty much find them in most places anime blu-rays are found)...but who knows how long they have the license for so now's a good time to add the blu-rays to your collection!

Tempted to just pick up a standard edition that i'll actually watch and keep the Ultimate edition in my Eva display.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Cowboy Bebop intro.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'll be honest, that intro had the feel of an internet fan project circa 2012, and killed any interest i had in watching it. It might be great, but the strength of that it has not convinced me i need to sign up to Netflix just to see it. So i'll just rewatch my blu-ray and pass on this...hell it's not like i even had the time to even watch it with this fall seasons anime line up! There's so much content fighting for my attention right now!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I've just spent last 10 days watching all of Evangelion in order (original series + Death + EoE + all 4 Rebuilds). My head can't stop spinning.

Original series is still the best and I've made up my mind recently (on previous rewatch about 6 years ago) that original ending is also the best one. 19-year old me would've thought that action-packed EoE is the better one, but now Shinji's mental trip from the last episodes is just hitting harder from the emotional standpoint. Especially since I'm also an escapist loner struggling to learn how to establish personal connections.

I'm also in the camp that believes two endings are concurrent and not substitutes. There are several fan made edits on the web that combine End of Evangelion with Ep 25/26 which make total sense.

Now, the rebuilds... WTF, Anno? Can't even begin unpacking all the stuff I've just seen. 1.11 and 2.22 were perfect, but the last two hit you like a rug pulled from under your feet. I knew the story was completely different, but didn't expect it to be that different. Don't wanna spoil things in case some readers here trying to avoid spoilers like I did for so many years. I'll need to rewatch this stuff a few months later. One outright negative thought I have is that several battle scenes in Rebuilds are looking like these CGI-fest battles from Transformers movies where million things moving at once and you can't see WTF is actually happening.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Re: Cowboy Bebop

I was super skeptical of the live action thingy when it was just announced, but now I'm sorta warming up. The atmosphere in the trailer is pretty familiar. Hopefully it's not misleading.
    I also like that apparently a lot of people involved with the original are completely on board with this version. I mean there's a score from Yoko Kanno, and the voice actors from the original series are returning for the Japanese dub of the new series. What's not to like?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

This thing feels heavier than my Ingmar Bergman box set. It could probably actually knock someone unconscious if it fell off a shelf and hit them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know EXACTLY what you're talking about animation wise
    I think very few have come to that scale but every movie is it's own so ones that feel similar in intensity of themes and visuals for me are:
    Perfect Blue
    Paprika
    Ghost in the Shell
    and maybe Angel's Egg?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Looks like BELLE will be the next anime to get a 4K release in the US (through a GKIDS Collector's Edition). Weathering With You was $70, Promare was $55, NGE was $180; the UK Anime Limited version is currently showing as £89.99 with pre-orders starting tonight. No word yet on the release date for US version.

Also, I felt it was worth noting that the latest round of Ghibli steelbooks (Princess Kaguya and Only Yesterday) have new encodes. The Kaguya steelbook retains the (old) 80 minute documentary, so it's actually 2 BD + 1 DVD.

And finally, Funimation is stepping up One Piece Voyage releases and is set to finish Dressrosa with Voyage 9 in July (Ep. #746).
    Last edited by Jon; 04-28-2022 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Collector's Edition

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    New Trigun anime was just officially announced and I literally dropped my phone and screamed a little. YES. Give it to me, right in my veins.

I was just hoping for a sequel to the movie, but I will happily accept this. Fingers crossed that they have all the right people coming back for it. Especially Bosch and Tsuneo Imahori.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...Q0uo5ms_IngX6Q

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    New trailer dropped! Not gonna lie, even with all the changes, I kinda dig it.

I'm not 100% sure either, but I get the feeling that this may even focus a little more on Vash's life between the events of the crash and when we first meet him in the anime. He looks younger, bounty looks smaller, and we don't see any characters at all from the original anime, aside from Knives and Rem. So that may be cool to see, building up to the Vash that we know now.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Don't sleep on Cyberpunk Edgerunners. It's really really good.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    going for it....

Starting the entire Dragon Ball saga, from DB, to Kai, to Super, to GT. Have the physical media of all series, including the movies. I also bought the manga (not Super yet) to read along with the shows.

I saw Super Broly and Super Hero in the theaters with my gf. She's a big DB fan- she's seen it all. I've seen bits and pieces through the years, so this will be fun! Almost done with season 1 of DB and I love it- kid Goku's innocence is hilarious at times. Some good laugh out loud moments. Has a good adventure feel to it rather than constant fighting in DBZ.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    A whole week went by and I had no idea a new Trigun trailer dropped.

-Millie has been replaced by an older dude named Roberto De Niro?
    -Meryl seems way younger. Possibly De Niro's partner/apprentice? Might just be investigators/reporters now, too?
    -Wolfwood looks exactly the way I'd expect him to look if someone designed his character archetype in 2022, in a good way.
    -Music sounds good. Skimmed an interview that seems to imply that Tsuneo Imahori may not be involved, but didn't say for sure.

I still have all kinds of other questions too, but I'm still on board. You know what it feels like? It feels like the cutscenes from the Gungrave PS2 game, which I really liked. If you've never played/seen it, it's another one of Yasuhiro Nightow's projects that has an anime and a handful of games. A little darker, but a whole lot of the same aesthetics, tone, music, and people as Trigun. Worth checking it out if this is your thing!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Only 2 more days until Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales of the Macabre!

Is this the Junji Ito series that was supposed to be on Quibi? I know Uzumaki is still coming to Adult Swim this year.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I should really check out Trigun Stampede. I watched the OG Trigun way back when on the afterschool block on Cartoon Network way back in the day, and probably out of order (same with Outlaw Star, DBZ, and Gundam Wing). It's a retelling, correct?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    going for it....

Starting the entire Dragon Ball saga, from DB, to Kai, to Super, to GT. Have the physical media of all series, including the movies. I also bought the manga (not Super yet) to read along with the shows.

I saw Super Broly and Super Hero in the theaters with my gf. She's a big DB fan- she's seen it all. I've seen bits and pieces through the years, so this will be fun! Almost done with season 1 of DB and I love it- kid Goku's innocence is hilarious at times. Some good laugh out loud moments. Has a good adventure feel to it rather than constant fighting in DBZ.
    I'm in the middle of rewatching all of these, which I do from time to time. I have never seen Kai and I don't intend to skip out on any of the series (DBZ). The little filler episodes in DBZ seem inconsequential, but they help break up all of the fighting and flesh out personalities.

I've tried to hold off on Super as long as possible, but since it's coming back, it's about time. Also, I know you said you have all of the physical copies, but Wal-Mart has the Super sets 2 a piece for $36, so the entire thing ends up being just over $200 as opposed to around $400.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I've tried to hold off on Super as long as possible, but since it's coming back, it's about time.
    And that time is now! I own the series on Blu-ray, but have also been attempting to get all 10 parts on DVD with the slipcases. What a nightmare! All of the "entire series" packs (bundled together in shrinkwrap) are obvious fakes: chintzy packaging, printing on discs is matte with absolutely no gloss, and the worst, everything is on DVD-5s (go figure)! I actually prefer the 5-disc plastic cases that the knock-off Dragon Ball seasons come in, but not enough to move my legit ones into them.

I only have a few items from Crunchyroll, but it doesn't seem to be much different from FUNImation. They appear to not want to shake up the packaging too much; hopefully they'll handle licenses better than FUNI.

Oh, and the OG Urusei Yatsura anime is finally being released by Discotek. The first part is episodes 1-54; there will be 4 parts. Between this, Project A-ko (4 is coming out in June), and Galaxy Express 999 several years back, I think that's my main ones from early childhood heh.

EDIT 43: We have a Mega Replay in our area, but the stickers they put on them are impossible to remove from slipcases and digipacks. I've tried regular Goo Gone and the Goo Gone specially formulated for rims/tires.
    Last edited by Jon; 04-09-2023 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Release date for UY Pt. 1 says it's the end of June, but they've been shipping them for about 2 weeks now.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The "latest" (2013?) Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray Season sets (United States) are going out of print, to be replaced by Crunchyroll-branded updates. All of the extras, etc., seem to place this as a direct replacement for those sets and have nothing to do with the "30th Anniversary Edition" releases (16:9 vs 4:3). I have all of the Crunchyroll DB releaes so far, and they are bit-for-bit identical to the FUNimation discs, minus branding that may (or may not be) on the outside packaging.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Drago...cid=51k7_jas5i

This entire franchise is cursed.

EDIT: For the record, because I could have missed something...

1). Dragon Ball Super double seasons sets (5 total) = Crunchyroll (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
    2). Dragon Ball GT (repackage) = Crunchyroll (Wal-Mart Exclusive?)
    3). Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' (Collector's Edition. minus digital edition) = Crunchyroll (Wal-Mart Exclusive? This isn't released until the 23rd but was not marked as "not for sale" at the POS terminal).
    4). Dragon Ball: Complete Movie Collection (not sure if this is Crunchyroll branded to be honest, but it is 2 slimpacks instead of 4 slimpacks; still 4 discs like the ONE PIECE Voyages).
    5). Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (both US versions)
    Last edited by Jon; 05-16-2023 at 01:28 AM.