Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen (2019)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    So, the runout groove for Watchmen has "NULL 10" etched into it. This leaves us with five official Null numbers:

1. The Social Network
    2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    4. Before the Flood
    6. The Vietnam War
    10. Watchmen Vol. 1

That leaves Gone Girl, Juno, Patriots' Day, Halloween, mid90s, and Bird Box without official Null numbers.

Based purely on release order, either Gone Girl or Juno would slot into Null 03, but that would leave the release that doesn't without a Null number entirely. Gone Girl got a physical release and no Null number anywhere, so maybe that's the odd one out and Juno goes there. Patriots' Day is pretty obviously Null 05, which we could've confirmed if the vinyl ever came out (RIP). Meanwhile, Null 07-09 correspond cleanly with Halloween, mid90s, and Bird Box. I previously assigned 07 and 08 to mid90s and Bird Box in my head, leaving out Halloween, but I guess TR/AR consider it an official release, even though neither version of the vinyl has the Null number (maybe because the John Carpenter theme is the B-side so it's not a Null-official release?).

I do wish we could get someone (Kraw?) to go on record about the Null numbers so that we have definitive information and not just speculation, but 1. I think Trent probably likes that the numbers aren't always explicitly listed, and 2. this only matters to an extremely narrow sect of people anyway.

Excited to see Vol. 2 and 3 throw all this out the window and use either random numbers or none at all.
    Last edited by gorast; 11-06-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Connected NWAMG and NS for funsies.

https://soundcloud.com/purplerectang...enders/s-SAGtT

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Has anyone posted this review yet? https://www.revolvermag.com/music/re...ach-still-mess

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    So they've even got Revolver in on it! The reviewer, "Harris Greenwald" (I wonder if that's an anagram for something else...) only has this one single review credited to him and it reads like an actual legit review that even refers to real life events that clearly never happened (like Bowie dressing as Silk Spectre and Iron Maiden releasing an album called "Screaming Skull"). I love the dedication to this fictional world they're creating.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I'm just really glad to have a new TR/AR score that feels fresh and exciting. I love all their score work, but the last few bleed together for me. After TSN and TGWTDT, my expectation was that each score would feel like a completely different thing, but once they started taking on more work, the music all started to feel a little same-y to me.
    Say what? Bird Box, Vietnam War and Before The Flood sound like three completely distinct scores for three completely different projects..

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Say what? Bird Box, Vietnam War and Before The Flood sound like three completely distinct scores for three completely different projects..
    Totally agree with Before The Flood. It's Bird Box, Vietnam War, and Patriots Day that blend together for me. I'm not saying they're objectively similar, just that they don't have standout personalities like some of the others. Like, I've listened to them all probably close to 100 times, but if you asked me to describe what makes them different, I wouldn't be able to come up with anything beyond, "um, Bird Box is creepier?"

Again, I love them all, and some of them are less bold because that's what the film needed them to be, but I already feel more excited by this score than I have since Before The Flood (or The Defiant Ones if we count Atticus' scores).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I'm just really glad to have a new TR/AR score that feels fresh and exciting. I love all their score work, but the last few bleed together for me. After TSN and TGWTDT, my expectation was that each score would feel like a completely different thing, but once they started taking on more work, the music all started to feel a little same-y to me.

And with Trent's comment that Watchmen called for music that's more in your face than the average film, I'm guessing future scores will still be more like the last few than Watchmen or TSN. I don't mind that, but I definitely hope they take on at least one project every couple years which stretches their abilities and really stands out with a strong personality.
    I kinda have to agree here. I absolutely LOVE TSN and TGWTDT. Gone Girl, Juno, Before the Flood, and The Vietnam War were also great, but Patriot's Day, Mid90s, and Bird Box (and parts of Vietnam War) began to "feel a little same-y" to me, as well. That's not to say I don't like them (because I do), just that I don't actively listen to them as much as I do with TSN, TGWTDT, Gone Girl, or Before the Flood. Part of this (like you mentioned) is due to the fact that there's just so much score work coming out of them (again, not a bad thing). But Watchmen really breaks the mold and, in my opinion, it's up there with their absolute best score work. TOP-SHELF TR & AR! And yes, I'm really intrigued to see what they do for Pixar on Soul.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 11-06-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I bought the vinyl. Love it! Little disappointed it didn't come with a digital download. Anyone know where I can buy flac digital downloads?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This is so great.

Has anyone figured out what band they're using the headshots from? I know Sigur Ros is the live band in the booklet, but I haven't been able to figure out who the headshots are of.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    This is so great.

Has anyone figured out what band they're using the headshots from? I know Sigur Ros is the live band in the booklet, but I haven't been able to figure out who the headshots are of.
    The one guy looks eerily similar to Alan Moore.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    just got an email from target with a shipping notice and tracking number with the eta of saturday! yippie!!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    nin.com linked to the Revolver article. I wonder if it's canon, in the sense that it was written to fit into the overarching universe and sanctioned by HBO, or if Revolver just wrote "fanfiction" of a sort.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    just got an email from target with a shipping notice and tracking number with the eta of saturday! yippie!!
    My account says Vol 1 is both backordered and has shipped. No tracking number listed nor a ship confirmation email. Weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    PS: Anyone else think 'WTF!' sounds like 'Objects in the mirror'
    I got big The Greater Good vibes from this track, probably the beat and haunting synth combo.

Really enjoying the soundtrack but it suffers from that common score thing where I love a track and just wish it was fleshed out into a longer than 2 minute piece of music.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    So, the runout groove for Watchmen has "NULL 10" etched into it. This leaves us with five official Null numbers:

1. The Social Network
    2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    4. Before the Flood
    6. The Vietnam War
    10. Watchmen Vol. 1

That leaves Gone Girl, Juno, Patriots' Day, Halloween, mid90s, and Bird Box without official Null numbers.

Based purely on release order, either Gone Girl or Juno would slot into Null 03, but that would leave the release that doesn't without a Null number entirely. Gone Girl got a physical release and no Null number anywhere, so maybe that's the odd one out and Juno goes there. Patriots' Day is pretty obviously Null 05, which we could've confirmed if the vinyl ever came out (RIP). Meanwhile, Null 07-09 correspond cleanly with Halloween, mid90s, and Bird Box. I previously assigned 07 and 08 to mid90s and Bird Box in my head, leaving out Halloween, but I guess TR/AR consider it an official release, even though neither version of the vinyl has the Null number (maybe because the John Carpenter theme is the B-side so it's not a Null-official release?).

I do wish we could get someone (Kraw?) to go on record about the Null numbers so that we have definitive information and not just speculation, but 1. I think Trent probably likes that the numbers aren't always explicitly listed, and 2. this only matters to an extremely narrow sect of people anyway.

Excited to see Vol. 2 and 3 throw all this out the window and use either random numbers or none at all.
    or 3 and 5.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    i also noticed that i only got charged once it shipped! so target functions just like amazon in that you only pay when they actually fulfill the order, which is awesome!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    There's a Fragile era image which was posted on NIN.COM which I cannot for the life of me find, I'm starting to second guess if it was even NIN. From what I remember TR packed a bunch of gear into a van and drove it into the desert and rolled the van.
    That was early With Teeth era. When he was moving all of his stuff from New Orleans to California.

Regarding the album, I could have done without the interlude tracks or anything with vocals. Those are ALWAYS gonna be skipped for me. I can easily remove them from a digital playlist, but I'm always gonna have to manually skip them on the vinyl.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    This is so great.

The one guy looks eerily similar to Alan Moore.
    almost entirely certain that top-left is @kraw (which would be awesome, since he clearly did a fantastic fucking job on this)

bottom-left almost looks like surachai (who is connected to trent through mutual friends/collaborators, including josh eustis & alessandro), but he'd be showing way more of his face than he ever​ does in photos.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There's a Fragile era image which was posted on NIN.COM which I cannot for the life of me find, I'm starting to second guess if it was even NIN. From what I remember TR packed a bunch of gear into a van and drove it into the desert and rolled the van. Maybe he thought it was time for a new sound.
    https://www.nin.wiki/images/8/8c/9-09-04.jpg

There was also a hilarious Scooby Doo mashup of this image by Meathead but that appears to have disappeared from here sadly.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've made an edit of Muller Time annexing the shitty white supremacist monologue from the end. Simply fades out, and ends just before the monologue starts. If anyone wants a copy, PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    OK i've been ill the last few days so missed this drop...but fuck me THIS IS SO DAMN FUCKING GOOD! I'm tempted to have it as my listening experience for my MRI scan tomorrow...but it might freak out the staff

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    bottom-left almost looks like surachai (who is connected to trent through mutual friends/collaborators, including josh eustis & alessandro), but he'd be showing way more of his face than he ever​ does in photos.
    I had the same thought. Looks a lot like him.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Villain View Post

I will say I am worried I won't get them as there is still nothing on amazon.ca
    It's there now. It will also be in Canadian record stores, I've been asking.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i also noticed that i only got charged once it shipped! so target functions just like amazon in that you only pay when they actually fulfill the order, which is awesome!
    Its funny you mentioned this because I was charged yesterday. As I said above, my account says it's both shipped and backordered. And this morning I got an email saying it was backordered until Nov 21. WTF?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I got an email from Target this morning that I won't be receiving Volume 1 until Nov 21 now

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I got an email from Target this morning that I won't be receiving Volume 1 until Nov 21 now
    Did they take your money?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Did they take your money?
    Nope, I still just have a pending charge for the full $51.03 from Oct 29 on my PayPal.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I really like, I'LL WAIT. The Kick, CP, and phased HH remind me of my looping days back in the mid 2000s. I think FL Studio opened with these sounds as the standard percussion.

TGWTDT and Gone Girl turned me into a big fan of TR/AR piano and xylophone together with eerie synth in the background, so WATCH OVER THIS BOY is one of my favs.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Nope, I still just have a pending charge for the full $51.03 from Oct 29 on my PayPal.
    I called customer service. Same deal as you, they say it's not a charge but a hold and that it is in fact backordered with an estimated nov 21 date. Apparently the app saying my order shipped is incorrect.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm getting strong Still vibes from WATCH OVER THIS BOY.