Page 4 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    The majority of Americans voted for a president who didn't win the election.
    The majority of Americans voted for Democrats in the US Senate, but it's controlled by Republicans. (In total, there were 14 million more votes for Democrats than Republicans in the Senate this year)
    What a poll says the majority wants doesn't mean that much given the way our system works. (By the way, that "majority" was 85% of Democrats but barely half of Republicans - meaning it's still not something that's all that important to them.)

Where I live, tuition to state colleges was recently made free to students of parents who earned a combined income of $125k or less.
    I live in a blue state, with a Democratic governor and Democrat-controlled House.
    And yet, the overwhelming number of comments on all news articles about this program were 'WAKE UP SHEEPLE WHAT DO YOU THINK 'FREE' MEANS ITS NOT REALLY FREE YOUR ALL PAYING FOR IT I DONT WANT MY MONEY TO GO TO THOSE FREELOADERS"

As for what the next Democratic candidate can do - no amount of facts and evidence in the world will convince most Republican voters that Trump and the Republican-held Senate have done nothing to improve health care. Partisan politics is just THAT deep. Trump will stand up, lie to their faces in response, and they'll believe him and every "news" outlet that plays the soundbite on repeat for the next week.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    The majority of Americans voted for a president who didn't win the election.
    Because of about 80,000 votes that went the wrong way in three states.

The majority of Americans voted for Democrats in the US Senate, but it's controlled by Republicans. (In total, there were 14 million more votes for Democrats than Republicans in the Senate this year)
    Democrats had to defend over 20 Senate seats while Republicans defended 9 and Republicans are walking away with only a net gain of 1-2 seats.

What a poll says the majority wants doesn't mean that much given the way our system works. (By the way, that "majority" was 85% of Democrats but barely half of Republicans - meaning it's still not something that's all that important to them.)
    Those polls break down by states so it's not just a simple majority poll with a sampling from one big Dem state i.e. California, they're averaged by each state and that's what a majority of Americans want. It also tells me that there are more potential Dems out there than there are Republicans.

Where I live, tuition to state colleges was recently made free to students of parents who earned a combined income of $125k or less.
    I live in a blue state, with a Democratic governor and Democrat-controlled House.
    And yet, the overwhelming number of comments on all news articles about this program were 'WAKE UP SHEEPLE WHAT DO YOU THINK 'FREE' MEANS ITS NOT REALLY FREE YOUR ALL PAYING FOR IT I DONT WANT MY MONEY TO GO TO THOSE FREELOADERS"
    Bots and commenters from potentially anywhere don't represent how people vote. Online comments on local news articles are not a good way to gauge public support for something.

As for what the next Democratic candidate can do - no amount of facts and evidence in the world will convince most Republican voters that Trump and the Republican-held Senate have done nothing to improve health care. Partisan politics is just THAT deep. Trump will stand up, lie to their faces in response, and they'll believe him and every "news" outlet that plays the soundbite on repeat for the next week.
    Republican turnout was high for the 2018 midterms, but Democrat turnout was higher. The effective plan for most of these races was to pivot from whatever madness Trump said and change the topic to healthcare, and that energized enough first time and lapsed voters to get back out there and vote. Don't worry about changing Republicans minds, energize liberals and progressives to get out there and vote.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Trump has a 40 percent approval rating...he is way more popular than any of the European leaders, like Angela Merkel, Emmanuelle Macron or Theresa May.
    all have approval ratings in the low 20's

every news organisation is against him every news organisation is for the lame ass European leaders who have no support...

I know its sad but its just a reality, he is more popular than any European leader at the moment why is this?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Trump has a 40 percent approval rating...he is way more popular than any of the European leaders, like Angela Merkel, Emmanuelle Macron or Theresa May.
    all have approval ratings in the low 20's

every news organisation is against him every news organisation is for the lame ass European leaders who have no support...

I know its sad but its just a reality, he is more popular than any European leader at the moment why is this?
    According to recent surveys for Germany this is not true. ZDF Politbarometer says 56% think Merkel does her job "rather good". Der Spiegel says 36% are at least "rather satisfied" with Merkel. Where do you get your stats from?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'd love to see a Biden/O'Rourke ticket--an old lion with fresh voice. On his own, he's a little too green.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    he's a little too green.
    Well... we did just elect a reality television star, so it wouldn't be due to him being an implausible or unelectable option

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Well... we did just elect a reality television star, so it wouldn't be due to him being an implausible or unelectable option
    Beto (or virtually anyone) would of course be preferable to Trump.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm on the "everyone should run" train, except for Hillary and Bernie. Past that, fair game for anyone else. Let's bring some ideas and start fixing this shit.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    I'm on the "everyone should run" train, except for Hillary and Bernie. Past that, fair game for anyone else. Let's bring some ideas and start fixing this shit.
    I voted for Hillary in both the primary and general election in 2016, but please, no, don't run.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Every progressive idea that is now gaining steam was basically Bernie's idea first. He started alot of this fervor, and is the most tried and true one we can count on to not give in b/c of typical Dem corruption or for some insane, weak attempt at bi-partisanship. He will fight the hardest to keep the big ideas as progressive and NON-CENTRIST as possible. He's got my vote, b/c it seems to me he is def. running. Just need the right woman, preferably woman of color, to join his ticket if he wins.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    You know what I mean when I say "his idea first". Ugh.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Do you think someone could beat Trump largely by just campaigning on the federal legalization of recreational marijuana? It's winning ballot after ballot at the state level. It seems to be gaining traction. Do you think it would be to a Democratic candidate's advantage to make it a very clear part of his or her message that this would be a priority? (I'm not saying THE priority...let's keep talking about things like universal health care and erasing the massive debt that Trump just inflicted on us.)

Note: this is a question from someone who has literally never imbibed in the Devil's Lettuce in any of its forms - so no skin in the game here. Just a honest strategy question.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Devil’s Lettuce, lol.

Personally, I think so, yeah.

It’s tied to prison reform, too. Which is important to both parties, oddly enough.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    If dems push for National decriminalization, so will Trump in an election cycle... he’s hinted as much

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    If dems push for National decriminalization, so will Trump in an election cycle... he’s hinted as much
    In that case Dems should push for amnesty on all prior convictions for cannabis possession.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    In that case Dems should push for amnesty on all prior convictions for cannabis possession.
    And then his crazy fan base will immediately scream "soft on crime!!" and get all scared that we're letting a bunch of scary colored people out of prison to make our streets unsafe for the childrens to be out on.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    There’s already a Trump-backed Kushner / Booker / Grassley / Durbin bipartisan bill in the Senate that has an estimated 80 Senate votes behind it for prison reform, including modifying the unfair crack cocaine sentences of the 90s and the three strikes laws, but McConnell is refusing to bring it to the Senate floor for a vote.

See First Step Act.

Newt Gingrich wrote an OpEd about it in the WaPo the other day: ”This bill could help begin to fix the federal prison system. It must pass”.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-02-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Honest question: has Mitch McConnell ever done anything that could be reasonably argued as "good", or has he always been the massive piece of breathing excrement he is now?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    See also: ”Something rare and wondrous is happening in Congress, Nov. 28, 2018.

Also: Mitch McConnell faces tough choice on criminal justice proposal

Sen. Rand Paul, a Republican from Kentucky, told CNN that there's a generational divide within the party on the issue.

"I think there are people who were teenagers in 1937 watching 'Reefer Madness' and they're still concerned that Reefer Madness is going to take over and everybody is going to become zombies, hacking and killing everyone if they smoke pot," said Paul, a supporter of the bill. "And then there are a couple of generations after 1937 of people who don't see it with the same degree of evil."

"We had one of the senators in the lunch saying, 'You know how you get no recidivism? Don't ever let him out of jail. Zero recidivism!'" added Paul, referring to a closed-door meeting GOP senators held this week.

Paul did note that there were exceptions to his theory, including 85-year-old Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley, a sponsor of the bill.

In response, Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas, one of the fiercest opponents of the bill, said he didn't think any mandatory minimums should be reduced since "we're in the middle of a drug epidemic."

Of the generational gap, Cotton, who at 41 is the youngest current member of the US Senate, said that "older senators like Rand Paul" — the Kentucky senator is 55 — "take for granted all the gains that we've made because of the tough on crime policies of the 1980s and are willing to abandon those in misguided efforts to have compassionate understanding for depraved felons."
    Last edited by allegro; 12-02-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I firmly believe that if Congress passed a cannabis legalization bill right now, that Trump would sign it.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I see a white house run in Beto's future, no doubt. @RhettButler MAY be right, though. Beto may be too green to win THIS time. @theimage13 , I honestly seem to remember Mitch doing SOMETHING good, but I can't remember what it was
    Seriously.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I firmly believe that if Congress passed a cannabis legalization bill right now, that Trump would sign it.
    And soon TrumPot stores would be on every street corner.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I see a white house run in Beto's future, no doubt. @RhettButler MAY be right, though. Beto may be too green to win THIS time. @theimage13 , I honestly seem to remember Mitch doing SOMETHING good, but I can't remember what it was
    Seriously.
    Obama aides say Beto O'Rourke reminds them of the ex-president. Obama agrees.

I'm on the fence about the too-green thing. They both had roughly the same number of years in office, although Obama's were in higher positions. But I think that could actually be an advantage. We just accidentally elected a guy with ZERO years in office. People liked him BECAUSE of that. I think both sides are growing increasingly disenfranchised with career politicians. They don't want a complete imbecile (on second thought....), but they want someone who isn't seen as your typical deal-breaking, lobby-owned DC suit. Trump *could* use the inexperience card against him, but you'd have to be an idiot not to see the blatant hypocrisy in that. Thankfully (for him), since that describes most of his supporters, that wouldn't be a problem.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Beto was a member of the El Paso City Council (8th district) from 2005 - 2011. (6 years.)

Beto has been a member of the U.S. House of Representatives (U.S. Congress) 2012 through today. (6 years.)

Obama was an Illinois State Senator (Illinois State Congress) from 1997–2004. (7 years.)

Obama was the Junior U.S. Senator from Illinois (U.S. Congress) from 2005 - 2008 (3 years).

So Beto actually has more years of experience in the U.S. Congress than Obama.

The biggest difference between them: Beto isn’t a lawyer.

After having the current idiot in office who seems to know NOTHING about the Constitution, I’m leaning toward a J.D. being a requirement of running for President.

But, I still like Beto.

I also like Senator Sherrod Brown from Ohio. (Also not a lawyer.)

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...tic-horse-race
    Last edited by allegro; 12-04-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    I also like Senator Sherrod Brown from Ohio.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...tic-horse-race
    Quote Originally Posted by the story
    The Texan isn’t not the only potential candidate with new momentum after the midterms, either.
    Goddamnit, this is why you pay copy editors.

But on topic, I'd certainly look more into Brown. Maybe Casey from PA, as well. People who can win in swing states are a good sign. They also made a point about how Biden, who, as nervous as he makes me (age), would probably be able to get a lot of the older, blue collar white male votes that often go red.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    terrified that he will win again. imagine him going senile like reagan. you think it's bad now. there's an interview with springsteen out where he says he thinks trump will get a second term. scary. btw, i live in politically correctville (seattle). i'm pretty liberal but that is out of control here. i think that sort of thing is part of the problem. its pushing some to the dark side. surprisingly i work with a bunch gun toting trump fans. i'm a ghost in the machine....

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Beto reminds me of Obama, too, and his momentum DEFINITELY reminds me of obama. Also, how about this? Am I right in saying that beto had more visibility in his Congress run than Obama did, even though he lost to the Zodiac? Because I didn't know who Obama was until people were talking about a presidential run. Hell, conspiracy theorists talked about him like being inserted into the race by, uh, the illuminati or whatever.
    Granted, I'm from Texas and not Illinois, but still.

So it's POSSIBLE that Beto, in a presidential run, could have MORE momentum than Obama did, if I'm correct in my assessment.

The question is, can Beto WIN this time? I'll eat my hat if he doesn't run this time or next though.

Can ANYONE win?

Also, @chuckrh , I think you might be right about people being pushed to the dark side

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I still think the fact that Beto was only three points off of winning TEXAS is a pretty good sign. If you can get that close to a win in that state, there's no telling what you can do in the so called "purple" states.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Am I right in saying that beto had more visibility in his Congress run than Obama did
    Obama delivered the Keynote Speech at the DNC in 2004, which is where he got THE most attention and which is where the predictions that he should run for President started.

SEE THIS

Obama was interrupted with applause thirty-three times. The reviews were unanimous: it was a barnburner. People immediately compared his oratorical skills to those of John Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, and Martin Luther King Jr. He was mobbed by crowds, not just that evening, but also every day thereafter. The throngs at his senate campaign events regularly shot up from hundreds to thousands. His political future would be forever changed. As Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois put it, “Without that Boston speech, there is a question whether Barack would be...[president] today. His public image changed because of that speech.”
    Last edited by allegro; 12-05-2018 at 03:54 PM.