Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The Thread of Creepy

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I just bought that book for my son. I showed him how it 'works' and his comment was "I don't know how to read this", lol

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    ^ This sort of reminds me House of Leaves, but with lights on!
    Damn the premise of that book sounds so cool.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    You cannot read House of Leaves on an e-reader; it's not possible, so please don't.

Well, I guess it is but the whole premise of the book is that it's a physical object in your hands. You absolutely need to experience it that way or you miss a huge part of what it's trying to do.

Also:
    In 2017, Danielewski entered talks to adapt the novel into a TV series.[10][11] with Danielewski stating that if a deal was not made by February 2020, the project would be abandoned.[12] However, the screenplays have since been published online.[13] The screenplays present a sequel to the book, extending the story to the present day: the first three published episodes set up a conflict between Mélisande Avignon, a filmmaker who witnessed and filmed Johnny's discovery of The Navidson Record, and Skiadyne, a "data disposal" company which successfully suppressed public knowledge of both The Navidson Record and Avignon's film. Both sides, joined by private security personnel, fight for control of the films after unknown parties steal the films from Skiadyne and return them to Avignon.
    what the hell?! I need to find those screenplays. I always thought there was a really good horror film based on The Navidson Record part of the book, I wish this could have gone on. Mike Flanagan would knock it out of the park and I could totally see Hamish Linklater as Navidson.

Oh right, sorry. well it's still creepy so still on topic! whew.

edit: almost forgot why I was reading the wiki in the first place!
    House of Leaves was accompanied by a companion piece (or vice versa), a full-length album called Haunted recorded by Danielewski's sister, Anne Danielewski, known professionally as Poe. The two works cross-pollinated heavily over the course of their creations, each inspiring the other in various ways. Poe's statement on the connection between the two works is that they are parallax views of the same story. House of Leaves references Poe and her songs several times, not only limited to her album Haunted, but Hello as well. One example occurs when the character Karen Green is interviewing various academics on their interpretations of the short film "Exploration #4"; she consults a "Poet," but there is a space between the "Poe" and the "t," suggesting that Poe at one point commented on the book. It may also be a reference to Edgar Allan Poe.

The album Haunted also draws heavily from the novel, featuring tracks called "House of Leaves", "Exploration B" and "5&˝ Minute Hallway", and many less obvious references. The video for "Hey Pretty" also features Mark Danielewski reading from House of Leaves (pp. 88–89), and in House of Leaves, the band Liberty Bell's lyrics were also songs on Poe's album.
    Last edited by allegate; 02-02-2022 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    ^ This sort of reminds me House of Leaves, but with lights on!
    Never heard of this book but I'm guessing this book I have called "S" is a direct homage to it, because it's done in the exact same format. It's a trip. Took me forever to read but it was worth it.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Never heard of this book but I'm guessing this book I have called "S" is a direct homage to it, because it's done in the exact same format. It's a trip. Took me forever to read but it was worth it.

Ah, S. Much like how Nightmare Before Christmas has Tim Burton's name on it though all he actually did was direct Batman Returns, this is not a J.J. joint.
    January 30, 2017 – Finished Reading
    November 30, 2016 – page 10 2.19% "Trying this one again."
    March 22, 2014 – Started Reading
    It took me almost three years to read because I realized that you have to read it three times (!!!) to get the meaning behind the notes. I did not read it three times. I gave up on the writing in the margins because the main story itself, about the Ship of Theseus, was way more compelling than whatever the two other characters were doing.

I did enjoy what the book was trying to do with the puzzles, but some of the puzzles relied on in-world explanations and in-world books that you don't have access to and that just pissed me off.

HoL did it first and if you liked S. please try it out. The actual story is way more compelling in the end.
    Last edited by allegate; 02-02-2022 at 11:26 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    you know what's creepy? i totally forgot this thread existed and i could swear i already posted about Selene Delgado, but if you are not familiar with her, here's a video:

Scary that i remember watching these spots during my childhood!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Damn the premise of that book sounds so cool.
    It certainly is a very impressive work, though not always easy to get through. Depending on your mood, you may find it completely engrossing or obnoxious. It's not a book to read lightly, or with a lot of distractions around you. For example, when I read it I was between jobs and had relatively ample free time to sit and read. Nowadays, due to work and family I mostly read on my way to and from work and just before I fall asleep at night. I don't think House of Leaves would be a good fit for that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post

i know this is the creepy thread, but these videos and the original are great! very awesome use of liminal space!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    You cannot read House of Leaves on an e-reader; it's not possible, so please don't.

Well, I guess it is but the whole premise of the book is that it's a physical object in your hands. You absolutely need to experience it that way or you miss a huge part of what it's trying to do.

Also:what the hell?! I need to find those screenplays. I always thought there was a really good horror film based on The Navidson Record part of the book, I wish this could have gone on. Mike Flanagan would knock it out of the park and I could totally see Hamish Linklater as Navidson.

Oh right, sorry. well it's still creepy so still on topic! whew.

edit: almost forgot why I was reading the wiki in the first place!
    Thanks so much for going to the trouble of letting us know all of that, allegate! Great tips, and I’m definitely going to track this down (once I finish my read-through of Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles/Mayfair Witches novels).
    Last edited by muad'nin; 02-04-2022 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Parentheses

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    It certainly is a very impressive work, though not always easy to get through. Depending on your mood, you may find it completely engrossing or obnoxious. It's not a book to read lightly, or with a lot of distractions around you. For example, when I read it I was between jobs and had relatively ample free time to sit and read. Nowadays, due to work and family I mostly read on my way to and from work and just before I fall asleep at night. I don't think House of Leaves would be a good fit for that.
    This is exactly how I like to read, so I may just be the perfect audience for this one!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post

Kane Pixel’s currently unfolding Backrooms narrative (check out his YouTube channel) is creepy as fuck. He’s also only 16, so it’s even more impressive.
    Holy shit. I just watched all the vids, and yeah, this looks VERY promising.

I also found a backwards string of characters in the second or third video: dNch/by=8000.

I searched for it and it took me to a website about an LHC test.

Has anyone tried calling the phone numbers in the Missing Persons video?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @allegate I think House of Leaves is, hands down, the most frightening thing I've ever read.

And I don't even think "read" is the right word: you EXPERIENCE that thing.
    You sort of live in it, and I hope this doesn't sound too crazy, but I feel like it still lives in ME, in a small way, in that, the feeling I get when thinking of it is so intense.

The only other thing I've found to be as immersive, in such a powerful and intimate way, is Infinite Jest.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    A few posts ago i posted about Selene Delgado, now i found another video with a similar character:

Seems all this missing persons cases have lots of urban legends and creepy stuff attached to them, but i sill find Selene's case creepier...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    God why does every person who narrates a video on youtube sound like it's the first time they've ever attempted to talk or read anything in their life?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So I watched this other YouTube analog horror series called The Mandela Catalogue, and it was pretty badass, too.

This is supposed to be a link to a playlist that shows the vids in order, but I'm not sure if these links work that way.

Anyway, the channel name (and creator's name) for this is Alex Kister, if you get lost.

There's also a "season 2" that's all one video.

I'd try to explain what it's about, but it's somewhat open to interpretation, and I also think it's better to go in blind.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Another of Kane Pixels’ Backrooms videos was released a short time ago -

Last edited by muad'nin; 02-13-2022 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    ^ Came here to post that as well. It looks like there are two other new ones as well? Check out the first comment in the above video.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    ^ Came here to post that as well. It looks like there are two other new ones as well? Check out the first comment in the above video.
    Thank you! I would have missed that without your heads-up.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    More like terrifying than creepy.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    God why does every person who narrates a video on youtube sound like it's the first time they've ever attempted to talk or read anything in their life?
    You talking about Deburke321?

Idk. I watch everything he puts out. He's not THAT bad. Plus, he gets millions of views and has like 550k subscribers.

Lazy Masquerade covered this story last week, if you need a sexier voice.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    ANYWAY,

Mandela Catalogue Season 3 coming soon!
    Dude posted a teaser.

I know that Backrooms thing is amazing, and I love the liminal space stuff, but I think Mandela Catalogue is creepier.

Last edited by elevenism; 03-20-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You talking about Deburke321?

Idk. I watch everything he puts out. He's not THAT bad. Plus, he gets millions of views and has like 550k subscribers.

Lazy Masquerade covered this story last week, if you need a sexier voice.
    I loved the comment someone posted on this video:

”The guy’s voice made me a believer.” lmao

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    ANYWAY,

Mandela Catalogue Season 3 coming soon!
    Dude posted a teaser.

I know that Backrooms thing is amazing, and I love the liminal space stuff, but I think Mandela Catalogue is creepier.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Erneuert and @botley @henryeatscereal - matador de los froot loops , it's a teaser for the third part of a stunning YouTube Horror thing called The Mandela Catalogue.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...82ZhveOi6C9PI9

Click on the above link to watch season 1 (which is like 40 min total).
    There's also a season 2.I think there are ten vids aside from the 333 teaser, making a total of eleven.
    OH. And turn on CC to get added parts of the story!

It's REALLY badass. I'm loving these new storytelling mediums.
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-22-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Saw the first episodes, David Lynch would be proud, lol

I'm also waiting for the Selene Delgado cameo.
    @elevenism you made me LOL with the "Matador de los Froot Loops" thing!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Ohhhh boy…

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Oh nice, a thread about Elon Musk.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This was great, thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)