Page 79 of 80 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 2386

Thread: Trump 2018 - Trump Foundation ordered to dissolve, Flynn Sentencing Delayed

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    GFM has already said that the general conditions of this fundraiser do not violate their policies, and neither does the other one that's raised 10s of thousands in response to purchase ladders for immigrants to scale it. GFM doesn't do so great in the accountability area. But whatever... it's silly anyway.
    The difference between the two funds, as I understand it, are as follows:

-The ladder fund has clearly stated that their real intention is to donate 100% of the funds to a specific nonprofit in Texas, no strings attached. Pretty straightforward.

-The wall fund is being advertised as a "political donation", and from what I'm reading so far, even if all sorts of Congressional approval goes through (which is probably will), you can't specifically say "this money is for the wall". So they could accept the money, and then DHS could go put it all towards spying on Americans.

Whatever, I'm over it too. I'm more concerned about the fact that one of the last seemingly sane people who could contradict and rein in Trump is quitting.

Also, thank you to Donald's Fed appointment for tanking my stocks. Hey, if he can blame Obama for market slides and take praise for rising returns that he had nothing to do with, I can blame him for this.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Also, thank you to Donald's Fed appointment for tanking my stocks.
    Dude, friend, if I could make one suggestion:

During the GW Bush administration, I put all of my 401K and IRA money into a Fidelity cash core account. I made SHIT as far as returns, but I was the only one of my friends who didn't LOSE any money and actually made a little money during the 2007 crash.

We are in for a fucking depression. All signs point to it. Go move your investments to SAFE. Please. Please. Just do it.

The Fed appointment is doing this to avoid major inflation. This is all pretty fucked up. The tax decrease plus the tariffs plus the wage stagnation fucked this all up. We are on a precipice.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-20-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post

During the GW Bush administration, I put all of my 401K and IRA money into a Fidelity cash core account. I made SHIT as far as returns, but I was the only one of my friends who didn't LOSE any money and actually made a little money during the 2007 crash.

We are in for a fucking depression. All signs point to it. Go move your investments to SAFE. Please. Please.
    I'm hesitant to do that because I'm still a long-term investor (30 years to the low end of retirement). I have a very strong emergency fund in cash (high yield savings account) and a job that is as close to recession-proof as you can get. Honestly, my plan is to keep buying in next year - I'm looking at this as a sale.

edit: if you want to take this further, I made a money thread a little while back: https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...grown-up-stuff
    Last edited by theimage13; 12-20-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm hesitant to do that because I'm still a long-term investor (30 years to the low end of retirement). I have a very strong emergency fund in cash (high yield savings account) and a job that is as close to recession-proof as you can get. Honestly, my plan is to keep buying in next year - I'm looking at this as a sale.
    I am totally on board with long-term investing, as I worship Warren Buffet.

Warren Buffet's plan is to invest in Blue Chip funds and let them ride. And if anybody knows what he's doing, it's Warren Fucking Buffet.

And switching at this very moment wouldn’t be good, but when the market stabilizes again (which it will), calm before the big big storm ...
    Last edited by allegro; 12-20-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Yeaaaah. See, I went YEARS without investing because my timeframe started right during the '08 financial crisis. So for years, I was terrified that was going to happen again soon. Then Trump came around and with all the controversies and scandals, I thought "this shit is going to tank". It took me until last spring to finally admit that the markets were doing great and start playing catch-up, and then my last big lump-sum investment came on...wait for it....

September 28th.

So yeah, I've already lost at least 10% of my life savings in less than two months. But here's the thing: if I cash out now because I'm scared of losing money, you know what'll happen? I'll hold onto it until I see the markets get so far higher than they're at now that I'll buy at significantly higher prices, meaning I'll really have lost even more money. So not only am I too goddamn stubborn to basically make the same mistake twice, but I'm looking at all my friends who got started with their careers just a couple years before me and bought great fucking houses and loaded up their retirement accounts during the recession because they were in the right place / time to make it work for them, not against them. I want my shot at buying low, damnit.

Sorry, drifting.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    So, in other words, you don't have diversified mutual funds through a brokerage like Fidelity or whatever? Yeah, I guess right now, just ride it out. Ride it out, and maybe BUY, actually, if you can afford it!

It's a great time to BUY!!!

I don't know that this is totally drifting, because this is current to this administration fucking this up. The Fed isn't totally responsible, a LOT of this is due to this tax bill and the tariffs. Trump caused some of this shit, and he's BLAMING the Fed, but he's a fucking moron. But wage stagnation for a long time, this was coming ...

The good news, I guess, is that a tanked economy means Trump's not likely to win in 2020.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-20-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    So, in other words, you don't have diversified mutual funds through a brokerage like Fidelity or whatever? Yeah, I guess right now, just ride it out. Ride it out, and maybe BUY, actually, if you can afford it!

It's a great time to BUY!!!

I don't know that this is totally drifting, because this is current to this administration fucking this up. The Fed isn't totally responsible, a LOT of this is due to this tax bill and the tariffs. Trump caused some of this shit, and he's BLAMING the Fed, but he's a fucking moron. But wage stagnation for a long time, this was coming ...

The good news, I guess, is that a tanked economy means Trump's not likely to win in 2020.
    Everything except my 401k is through Vanguard. I'm somewhat diversified - the bulk of my funds are in various ETFs...it's just that since pretty much EVERY sector is down, all of them have tanked. I'm spread between the S&P 500, a total market fund, and some various industry-specific ETFs. Down. Every single one of them, down.

Here's what I see happening...the market starts to rise in the months before the election, and somehow everyone will think that means the entire downturn during his tenure was all because of Hilary Clinton and that re-electing him will ensure the rebound continues.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Trump just gets more and more awful.

Trump administration approves seismic blasting for oil in Atlantic despite fears for marine life

“President Trump is essentially giving these companies permission to harass, harm and possibly even kill marine life, including the critically endangered North Atlantic right whale — all in the pursuit of dirty and dangerous offshore oil,” said Diane Hoskins, a campaign director at the Oceana environmental group.

“This is the first step towards offshore drilling in the Atlantic.”

Tens of thousands of whales and dolphins, and thousands of manatees, seals and sea turtles, could be harmed by the seismic exploration project across 200,000 miles square miles of ocean between Delaware and Cape Canaveral in Florida, according to estimates from the US Bureau of Ocean Energy Management.

The continuous air gun blasts are so loud that they can deafen marine creatures and and increase the risk of calves being separated from their mothers, according to environmental groups.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    He’s like a real life dr evil. Absurd and rotten.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    RBG just had a pulmonary lobectomy surgery

malignant cancer removed from the lung... no evidence of remaining cancer
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-21-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    "I thought you were supposed to win before you run for president"

-Man who has literally never won the popular vote to any elected office, speaking about a multi-term politician. What a fucking tool.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Just saw that "BEAUTIFUL" graphic design for the spiky wall... Memes will be made from this long after we are all dead

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

We are in for a fucking depression. All signs point to it. Go move your investments to SAFE. Please. Please. Just do it.

The Fed appointment is doing this to avoid major inflation. This is all pretty fucked up. The tax decrease plus the tariffs plus the wage stagnation fucked this all up. We are on a precipice.
    Okay, NOW I'm actually thinking about pulling ~half of my investments back into cash for the next month or so.

Trump asking advisers if he can fire Powell

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Robert Reich: The end of Trump is near:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/12/end...-drawing-near/

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I got to thinking....

Remember that Merrick Garland fellow? Remember how the Keebler Elf stood up and said "we absolutely will not vote on him" and just crossed his arms and left it at that and he really did shut the whole thing down?

That's what Democrats should do with the wall. Period. No compromising of any kind whatsoever. Just look Mitch straight in the eyes and say "this is for Merrick" and vote 100% against ANY funding for the wall, ever. Don't come to the negotiating table. Don't discuss it. Just ask if the bill will include wall funding, and stop talking and walk away if the answer is yes.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Oh shit...and now, throwing a temper tantrum over the letter Mattis submitted, Trump has tossed him out effective January 1.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/23/u...mp-mattis.html

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Oh shit...and now, throwing a temper tantrum over the letter Mattis submitted, Trump has tossed him out effective January 1.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/23/u...mp-mattis.html
    I'm sure he's picked a replacement... probably one of the people writing opinion pieces for Fox like "Trump Was Right to Pull Out of Syria," followed by advice to replace soldiers with private military contractors

EDIT: So the replacement will be his deputy SoD Patrick Shanahan... I'm looking this guy up and... am I missing it? Has he ever served in the military?
    Oh god it's so confusing... does the Space Force idea have something to do with this?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-23-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm sure he's picked a replacement... probably one of the people writing opinion pieces for Fox like "Trump Was Right to Pull Out of Syria," followed by advice to replace soldiers with private military contractors

EDIT: So the replacement will be his deputy SoD Patrick Shanahan... I'm looking this guy up and... am I missing it? Has he ever served in the military?
    Oh god it's so confusing... does the Space Force idea have something to do with this?
    It appears to be a temporary replacement until they find a real replacement after the Holidays.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I got to thinking....

Remember that Merrick Garland fellow? Remember how the Keebler Elf stood up and said "we absolutely will not vote on him" and just crossed his arms and left it at that and he really did shut the whole thing down?

That's what Democrats should do with the wall. Period. No compromising of any kind whatsoever. Just look Mitch straight in the eyes and say "this is for Merrick" and vote 100% against ANY funding for the wall, ever. Don't come to the negotiating table. Don't discuss it. Just ask if the bill will include wall funding, and stop talking and walk away if the answer is yes.
    This is interesting:

See also:

H.R.1625 - Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018, which became law in March of 2018.

See the bottom of Page 673:

16 SEC. 230. (a) Of the amount made available in this
    17 Act under ‘‘U.S. Customs and Border Protection—Pro
    18 curement, Construction, and Improvements’’,
    19 $1,571,000,000 shall be available only as follows:
    20 (1) $251,000,000 for approximately 14 miles of
    21 secondary fencing, all of which provides for cross
    22 barrier visual situational awareness, along the south
    23 west border in the San Diego Sector;

Page 674

1 (2) $445,000,000 for 25 miles of primary pe
    2 destrian levee fencing along the southwest border in
    3 the Rio Grande Valley Sector;
    4 (3) $196,000,000 for primary pedestrian fenc
    5 ing along the southwest border in the Rio Grande
    6 Valley Sector;
    7 (4) $445,000,000 for replacement of existing
    8 primary pedestrian fencing along the southwest bor
    9 der;
    10 (5) $38,000,000 for border barrier planning
    11 and design; and
    12 (6) $196,000,000 for acquisition and deploy
    13 ment of border security technology.
    14 (b) The amounts designated in subsection (a)(2)
    15 through (a)(4) shall only be available for operationally ef
    16 fective designs deployed as of the date of the Consolidated
    17 Appropriations Act, 2017, (Public Law 115–31)
    , such as
    18 currently deployed steel bollard designs, that prioritize
    19 agent safety.
    20 (c) None of the funds provided in this or any other
    21 Act shall be obligated for construction of a border barrier
    22 in the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge.
    23 SEC. 231. (a) Not later than 180 days after the date
    24 of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall submit
    25 to the Committees on Appropriations of the Senate and

Page 675

1 the House of Representatives a risk-based plan for im
    2 proving security along the borders of the United States,
    3 including the use of personnel, fencing, other forms of tac
    4 tical infrastructure, and technology, to include—
    5 (1) A statement of goals, objectives, activities,
    6 and milestones for the plan.
    7 (2) A detailed implementation schedule for the
    8 plan with estimates for the planned obligation of
    9 funds for fiscal years 2019 through 2027 that are
    10 linked to the milestone-based delivery of specific—
    11 (A) capabilities and services;
    12 (B) mission benefits and outcomes;
    13 (C) program management capabilities; and
    14 (D) lifecycle cost estimates.
    15 (3) A description of the manner in which spe
    16 cific projects under the plan will enhance border se
    17 curity goals and objectives and address the highest
    18 priority border security needs.
    19 (4) An identification of the planned locations,
    20 quantities, and types of resources, such as fencing,
    21 other physical barriers, or other tactical infrastruc
    22 ture and technology, under the plan.
    23 (5) A description of the methodology and anal
    24 yses used to select specific resources for deployment

Page 676

1 to particular locations under the plan that in
    2 cludes—
    3 (A) analyses of alternatives, including com
    4 parative costs and benefits;
    5 (B) an assessment of effects on commu
    6 nities and property owners near areas of infra
    7 structure deployment; and
    8 (C) a description of other factors critical to
    9 the decision-making process.
    10 (6) An identification of staffing requirements
    11 under the plan, including full-time equivalents, con
    12 tractors, and detailed personnel, by activity.
    13 (7) A description of performance metrics for
    14 the plan for assessing and reporting on the contribu
    15 tions of border security capabilities realized from
    16 current and future investments.
    17 (8) A description of the status of the actions of
    18 the Department of Homeland Security to address
    19 open recommendations by the Office of Inspector
    20 General and the Government Accountability Office
    21 relating to border security, including plans, sched
    22 ules, and associated milestones for fully addressing
    23 such recommendations.
    etc. etc. etc.

What has Trump provided so far in compliance with this law?

And, he shut down the Government, asking for ANOTHER $1.5 billion.

Here was the Border Patrol Budget for 2017: https://docs.house.gov/meetings/AP/A...1-20160301.pdf
    Last edited by allegro; 12-23-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    I'm of the mind that trump MAY know damn well he isn't building a wall like the one he claims he's gonna build. He's the fucking nightmare version of PT Barnum in a lot of ways, and I'm never clear on whether or not what he's promising...err... ,threatening ,to do is just , what do they call it? "Smoked Meats" for his base. (I know it's red meat; smoked meats is funnier.)

THAT BEING SAID
    Regarding the eminent domain aspect, if this DOES start to go down, I hate to say it, but I hope to GOD there are some hardcore anti government landowners on the border, who REALLY stand for some of the shit President Reality Show PRETENDS to stand for.

And I hope there's a fucking standoff, and it fractures his base. I don't want anyone to get HURT, mind you, but a standoff would be lovely.

A boy can dream.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    When does Mexico start to pay for it? Asking for a friend.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^ Actually, we get about 15% of our steel from Mexico, so a steel slatted fence will PROFIT Mexico.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    ^ Actually, we get about 15% of our steel from Mexico, so a steel slatted fence will PROFIT Mexico.
    Really? I thought there was some weird thing where steel (and other materials) used for defense had to be domestic. I could absolutely be wrong about this, of course.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Is the wall/fence being handled by the department of defense? That seems crazy

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Is the wall/fence being handled by the department of defense? That seems crazy
    The budget has it under the heading of Homeland Security (border protection).

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Has anyone been reading the insane shit he's been Tweeting?

"I'm all alone (poor me) in the White House"

WHAT THE FUCK?!

And then there's the tweet where we'll be paying for The Wall w/ "shutdown money."
    I... I just can't anymore.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Guys really what the fuck

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    SHUTDOWN MONEY!

This was his brilliant scheme all along! Nobody saw it coming! What a Wiley E Coyote!

He... actually thinks... that a government shutdown saves money. He actually thinks... Oh my god... This is what happens when the appointed phone-holder is off on Christmas break. Nobody is there to tell him that government employees still get paid eventually

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I think he's trying to say that the $5 billion he will get for his wall in the budget will happen b/c he caused this shutdown, and in the end he will get his way. He's a maniacal, craven liar and hopefully wrong (i don't trust Schumer and Pelosi to not sell us out in the end b/c they both are monumental pussies, part. Chuckie the Shoom), but I THINK that's what his attempt at communication meant.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 12-25-2018 at 01:50 AM.