Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
A bit of a tangent - One thing that crossed my mind watching that, as someone FROM the Wichita, KS area: while you’ll definitely find “pockets of cool people” everywhere, you’re also gonna run into just as many closed-minded assholes. Whether one group outnumbers the other is impossible to say, sure, but it’s absolutely there. I knew plenty of people who stopped talking to me when they found out I was dating a girl with mixed heritage (these people were no longer my friends, btw). I walked around downtown Hutchinson (about 30 minutes from Wichita) all the time when I was younger and there were literally swastikas spray-painted on old sheds and the backs of buildings, all kinds of places if you go to some of the worse-off neighborhoods. Even I, as a shaved-headed white dude, felt uncomfortable being around that shit. Representative of the entire community? No way, because there are more people there that I have fond memories and ongoing friendly relationships with. But the shit is there, whether you want to admit it or not.
Fucking hell! Glad you aren't friends with those people anymore. It's kinda of the same in certain parts of the UK (well the south east), and unfortunately some people i'm related too (i'm 99% sure if i started dating anyone who wasn't female, white and spoke English as a first language all but my sisters would disown me...hell my mother has told me as much!)