Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexual Abuse/Assault in the News

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    https://twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/1012425461845016576

"Many thanks to those of you who saw right through this despicable false claim that only does damage to the #metoo movement. And shame on those of you who perpetuate this destructive clickbait. As for my delayed but un-required response, I had my phone off. You should try it."
    This is disappointing. If he actually cared about the #metoo movement, he would have instead thanked the people who are actually willing to at least potentially believe these allegations over their idol.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    EDIT: beat me to it^^^ and no, he has every right to defend himself.

https://twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/1012425461845016576?s=21

That’s all folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ btw, I have not been here in a LONG time, is embedding tweets frowned upon or something you've not realized we can do now yet?

Ex:

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    If these assholes could stop pretending like they give one single fuck about MeToo, that would be excellent.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by musidora View Post
    ^ btw, I have not been here in a LONG time, is embedding tweets frowned upon or something you've not realized we can do now yet?

Ex:
    Holy shit man, chill. Sorry I don’t know how to do that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    EDIT: beat me to it^^^ and no, he has every right to defend himself.

https://twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/1012425461845016576?s=21

That’s all folks.
    Assuming that was in response to my post: I completely agree that he has every right to defend himself. But that and agreeing that people should hear the accusers out are not mutually exclusive. E.g., "Thanks to those willing to hear out accusers of sexual assault, but I will say I didn't do it, I am cooperating with journalists who are getting to the bottom of this and they will serve you truth", etc. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Has anyone commented on this shit yet?

https://twitter.com/kmosley2799/stat...676836352?s=12

Apparently another account was created to make similar accusations against Trent Reznor, just before the MJK-accusing account was created?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Holy shit man, chill. Sorry I don’t know how to do that.
    That was not an attack on you, like I said, I've not been here for years and was simply asking about embedding etiquette.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    If he’s being sincere* he could say it in less of a cunty way. Comparing to the statement I recall Jeordie making.

*saying sincere rather than right because sometimes abusers don’t believe they are abusing.
    Man, Jeordie really did give a better reply than MJK did, huh. Ugh.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    This is disappointing. If he actually cared about the #metoo movement, he would have instead thanked the people who are actually willing to at least potentially believe these allegations over their idol.

I get where you are coming from...BUT...he IS also having to defend himself of what is potentially a false claim of RAPE. That is pretty serious. I don't know if there is an easy way for him to "thank" anyone that automatically believed that he was a rapist. Just playing devil's advocate.

But I do appreciate that he at least mentioned the fact that if any claims of rape/assualt/etc... ARE proven false, that those false allegations are taking advantage of the #MeToo movement, and it is basically weaponizing the movement against potentially innocent people.

Even more importantly, the REAL victims are those that have true stories that NEED the strength and the encouragement to come forward to squash these disgusting douche bags committing these crimes of assault and rape. Because "weaponizing" the movement or taking advantage of it to accuse innocent people or any perpetual false claims (as a prank or what not) will only kill credibility of actual survivors going forward. THIS is the real fucking shame.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is so obviously a random troll taking it out on the two guys who have publicly expressed hate for Trump the most. The obvious suspect would be some random Trump supporting idiot. But with the recent comments it could be anyone from swift fans to kanye himself (yes, nothing is beneath this guy) lol.

Also, the Maynard accuser (clearly the same troll who did the Trent tweet) describes the incidents like an amateur sex novel writer lol. It's so fucking obvious.

We should move on now and not give the idiot any more attention.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Has anyone commented on this shit yet?

https://twitter.com/kmosley2799/stat...676836352?s=12

Apparently another account was created to make similar accusations against Trent Reznor, just before the MJK-accusing account was created?
    Yes check the previous page. A journalist asked the twitter accounts for more info (from the NY Daily News) and it doesn’t look like anyone responded to him because he tweeted MJKs tweet saying the story was uncorroborated

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    If he’s being sincere* he could say it in less of a cunty way. Comparing to the statement I recall Jeordie making.

*saying sincere rather than right because sometimes abusers don’t believe they are abusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Man, Jeordie really did give a better reply than MJK did, huh. Ugh.
    I do feel the Jeordie response had a tone of regret in it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The level of entitlement that's on display in this thread is distressing. It's baffling to me how some of you guys seem to firmly believe you're entitled to openly judge/speculate on whether TR was/is capable of doing those things.

Also, some pages ago someone called MJK a creep, equated his acting on stage with being a coward and concluded from that, how it's totally possible that he might be a rapist. WTF?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Yes check the previous page. A journalist asked the twitter accounts for more info (from the NY Daily News) and it doesn’t look like anyone responded to him because he tweeted MJKs tweet saying the story was uncorroborated

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Also, the Maynard accuser (clearly the same troll who did the Trent tweet) describes the incidents like an amateur sex novel writer lol. It's so fucking obvious.
    This is a very bad and harmful argument. Being raped doesn't have pre-qualifications for storytelling skills, and there are many true recountings of rape that are just as potentially poorly accounted. This is why going through a journalist when reporting anonymously can be so important, but your take is flat out problematic and dangerous.

That said, if this (very believable) accusation is false (which all of us have hoped it was from the beginning, fucking obviously, obviously), MJK should lawyer up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I have been quiet about this whole fiasco; but now that MJK has officially acknowledged and made a post, I will say this:

MJK has always been a sarcastic and "abrasive" person, even when being emotional or discussing a serious issue. But with respect to his post, he had every right to highlight the #metoo movement in his defense since it was made a point in the accusation by the accuser. If anyone thinks MJK, of all celebrity personalities, is going to sugarcoat his response to something that probably had him at an 11 on a scale of 10 in frustration and anger, you're kidding yourself. I'm actually surprised at the calmness of the post though not by his tongue-in-cheek finish.

The reality if there are victims of sexual assault or abuse, regardless validation, this whole social media charade is 100% not the way to go about it. And I am certainly not claiming MJK, TR or any celebrity shouldn't be called out when they have done harm. A victim is still a victim, but if you want to make accusations, there are resources. The accusers way of going about this just makes it harder for legitimate accusations on social media to be taken seriously.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    I get where you are coming from...BUT...he IS also having to defend himself of what is potentially a false claim of RAPE. That is pretty serious. I don't know if there is an easy way for him to "thank" anyone that automatically believed that he was a rapist. Just playing devil's advocate.
    I didn't say it would be easy for him to thank them, sure. But one of the main points of the Me Too movement is that it can be anyone, even beloved figures like Kevin Spacey, perpetrating these heinous acts -- and that, as unbelievable as some of these (true) stories may be, we should err on the side believing survivors, or at the very least hearing them out. I'm not saying we should immediately decry MJK as a definite rapist, no questions asked, but he's literally thanking people who didn't believe the stories at all. And that is NOT the spirit of Me Too.

Yes, there will be occasional false claims, but as I wrote in a previous post: those of us who are truly on board with ending sexual harassment and violence for good would be willing to bite the bullet of any false accusations that happen to come our way for the sake of advancing the cause. Though it wouldn't be pretty, I know that I, as a man, certainly would.

For a figure like him, this will be investigated by journalists, and we'll have a better sense of the situation hopefully soon. But for now, we can't just be dismissive, especially when dozens of women seem to be chiming in with similar experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    But I do appreciate that he at least mentioned the fact that if any claims of rape/assualt/etc... ARE proven false, that those false allegations are taking advantage of the #MeToo movement, and it is basically weaponizing the movement against potentially innocent people.

Even more importantly, the REAL victims are those that have true stories that NEED the strength and the encouragement to come forward to squash these disgusting douche bags committing these crimes of assault and rape. Because "weaponizing" the movement or taking advantage of it to accuse innocent people or any perpetual false claims (as a prank or what not) will only kill credibility of actual survivors going forward. THIS is the real fucking shame.
    That is indeed a shame; no one is arguing with you there. But I wouldn't say it's "THE" shame; the main shame I would point to is that sexual assault is even a thing that happens in the first place.

And honestly, his pointing this out in his tweet only reads as self-serving to me, but that's kind of beside the point.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    That is indeed a shame; no one is arguing with you there. But I wouldn't say it's "THE" shame; the main shame I would point to is that sexual assault is even a thing that happens in the first place.
    Very much agreed with your correction here. It is a sad and disheartening thing that we even have too discuss this topic.

And side note, I very much appreciate your response, mainly for it being a mature reply. We call all discuss this in a grown-up fashion. (not sarcasm)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I thought the MJK one was very believably written. I did actually believe it until someone came out with evidence of two twitter accts, I felt that the TR one having been created an hour EARLIER than the MJK one linked them to one person and discredited the original accusations. In fact the poor nature of the troll accounts provenance makes me think it was by someone on 4chan who actively wanted to discredit MeToo, it’s like they wanted it to be found

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I thought the MJK one was very believably written. I did actually believe it until someone came out with evidence of two twitter accts, I felt that the TR one having been created an hour EARLIER than the MJK one linked them to one person and discredited the original accusations. In fact the poor nature of the troll accounts provenance makes me think it was by someone on 4chan who actively wanted to discredit MeToo, it’s like they wanted it to be found
    Literally me. The accounts, combined with the fact that they were apparently talking about it on 4chan, sealed the deal for me. Don’t know if they wanted to be found though...they might’ve just been clumsy.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    The level of entitlement that's on display in this thread is distressing. It's baffling to me how some of you guys seem to firmly believe you're entitled to openly judge/speculate on whether TR was/is capable of doing those things.

Also, some pages ago someone called MJK a creep, equated his acting on stage with being a coward and concluded from that, how it's totally possible that he might be a rapist. WTF?
    Yeah, hi. That was me. I have been a fan of maynard for a long time. i've heard more than one creepy story about him in the 20+ years. There's some on the internet and a few grapevine type stories. They may not be true but there's definitely quite a few and I know i'm not the only one who's heard them.

I do think hiding in the back from your fans is rather cowardly and doesn't make me want to shell out for his shows. He's long been overrated imo. Plenty of rapists stand at the front of the stage so no, I don't think that alone makes him a rapist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The tone of MJK's tweet does not surprise me at all. Given that several people have pointed out that similar stories about MJK to the one presented from the IWas17 account have surfaced says to me that this was a regular pattern of behavior for him while on tour. And given the stereotypical rock star-groupie culture thing, a lot of his sexual encounters while on tour were probably consensual. But there was (and is, if he's still behaving this way while on tour) always going to be a chance that there would be some that wouldn't be consensual, and that's the problem. This is why educating people about consent, and then respecting it, is so important. If IWas17 is telling the truth, then MJK needs to reexamine his behavior, and, most importantly, be held accountable.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    If these assholes could stop pretending like they give one single fuck about MeToo, that would be excellent.
    I apologize profusely if this sounds insensitive, but what basis do you have for saying that MJK doesn't give a shit about the movement? My understanding is that he is an extremely private person, which also encompasses things like charitable donations, speaking engagements at private events, etc. Maybe he is supporting the movement in ways that he just doesn't want to broadcast? Of course, maybe he's not. (And I'm aware that LOTS of people out there pretend to care but don't - it just sounded like you were talking about one particular person this time).

Now, as for the tweet itself. (Disclaimer: this is where I write about this under the possibility that it was a troll - just for the sake of seeing both sides). I get that people don't like the tone of the tweet, and as an armchair quarterback, I can totally see why. But if I were someone who had spent decades dealing with attention that I didn't really want and suddenly found myself accused of something horrible that I didn't do, would I really be all sunshine and roses and "oh of course I will drop everything in my schedule in order to help the authorities with finding some angry internet troll"? No, probably not. I'd probably write it just the way he did.

What makes me hesitant though is that unless it's ever conclusively proven that it was a troll, I can see more victims saying "see, THIS is why I never came forward", and that I do find discouraging. I do wish that he'd consider the consequences that his tweet, no matter if it's potentially justified, could have in regard to helping or hurting future survivors.

Once again, to be clear: unless there is clear and concise evidence that this did not happen, I'm willing to believe the original tweet story. Would I convict someone in court based on a tweet alone? No. But I'm willing to listen to it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    This is a very bad and harmful argument. Being raped doesn't have pre-qualifications for storytelling skills, and there are many true recountings of rape that are just as potentially poorly accounted. This is why going through a journalist when reporting anonymously can be so important, but your take is flat out problematic and dangerous.

That said, if this (very believable) accusation is false (which all of us have hoped it was from the beginning, fucking obviously, obviously), MJK should lawyer up.
    It's people like you who are part of the problem. Stoking the flames when there's clearly no fire. The guy is CLEARLY a troll. He created two accounts on the same day and then tweeted some BS about Trent which he quickly deleted. He's happy he's getting the attention on the Maynard accusation and he's only getting it because people like you take it and run with it. Thanks to the internet and people who are willing to believe anything, the truth has now become subjective. THAT is more problematic and dangerous than anything.
    Last edited by streetman; 06-28-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post

Would it be fair to say that if the accusation is true, the accuser should lawyer up?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    @theimage13

Because as someone else stated earlier, if he was in support of it, he would have used it to highlight how important it is to believe victims and allow them to tell their stories. Not to bolster himself. But that seems par for the course for him.
    Last edited by Sarah K; 06-28-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OKNOTOK View Post
    Literally me. The accounts, combined with the fact that they were apparently talking about it on 4chan, sealed the deal for me. Don’t know if they wanted to be found though...they might’ve just been clumsy.
    Is there any evidence to this 4chan thing?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I call bullshit @ "My phone was off."

He waited until now to comment because that's when he felt safe doing so because of the "evidence" pointing towards it being false having surfaced. There's no possible way he could have argued with a story like that because every rock star on earth has done that exact thing a thousand times. I doubt MJK had any more knowledge than we did about the veracity of the story.
    Last edited by Harry Seaward; 06-28-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Fixed ambiguous wording

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Would it be fair to say that if the accusation is true, the accuser should lawyer up?
    Hmm, why "fair"? Curious about that choice of word. (edit: just to be clear I mean that question sincerely/non-sarcastically) I think most sexual assault survivors don't have much to gain by pressing charges. Even in civil court, the legal system hardly benefits survivors. You can totally try to make an argument that them taking it to court is the "right" thing to do, but more often than not it just means reliving a bunch of trauma and character assassination for nothing. I understand why survivors don't pursue legal shit.

Meanwhile, for someone falsely accused, the legal system often is the most effective recourse and resource they have, imo.
    Last edited by playwithfire; 06-28-2018 at 06:34 PM.