Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    How is it understood Trent is on the waiting list? The writeup says Moulder is busy with Trent and NIN.
    No, he says:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedPaintings
    Then... the news we can't move Fwd on more songs as Alan has high profile 90s band's albums to now mix and produce. I'm told I'd have to be on waiting list. Like a certain guy first name Trent band name Nails. Which is fair enough. ...
    https://www.facebook.com/TheRedPaint...55195657106437

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laur.a View Post
    i took it to mean he was the high profile 90s band not the waiting list

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    i took it to mean he was the high profile 90s band not the waiting list
    Yeah, that would be possible.
    But maybe the smashing pumpkins are the "high profile 90s band" ...?!?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laur.a View Post
    Yeah, that would be possible.
    But maybe the smashing pumpkins are the "high profile 90s band" ...?!?
    Reading it again it does suggest there are several 90s bands not just one, fuck the smashing pumpkins if they're holding up the 3rd ep!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Reading it again it does suggest there are several 90s bands not just one, fuck the smashing pumpkins if they're holding up the 3rd ep!
    The phrasing very much seemed to suggest NIN is what he's working on now

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The phrasing very much seemed to suggest NIN is what he's working on now
    Yeah, that's what I got out of it too. I'd actually be happy to hear that Alan Moulder is producing the new Pumpkins songs, but I'd prefer to get that 3rd NIN EP ASAP. Anyway, I agree that it sounds like they (Trent and Alan) are working on it right now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Are the new old pumpkins even recording music or just touring?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Are the new old pumpkins even recording music or just touring?
    Both. There are 8 new songs that will come in the form of an EP (or possibly two) at some point shortly before or during the tour.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I'd actually be happy to hear that Alan Moulder is producing the new Pumpkins songs, but I'd prefer to get that 3rd NIN EP ASAP.
    I'd be happy to hear that Alan is working on a surprise Curve album.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    I'd be happy to hear that Alan is working on a surprise Curve album.
    Id be happy to hear that he's working on a five disc nin album in addition to the EP

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Id be happy to hear that he's working on a five disc nin album in addition to the EP
    Honestly, I'd be happy to hear he is putting final touches on his mix for that f'ing The Fragile Deluxe Edition.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Honestly, I'd be happy to hear he is putting final touches on his mix for that f'ing The Fragile Deluxe Edition.
    If you're talking about the 5.1 mix, hasn't that been done since...I don't know...2006?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    If you're talking about the 5.1 mix, hasn't that been done since...I don't know...2006?
    They have been talking about it since around that time if I remember correctly. I think it was in one of those posts Trent made on the old With Teeth era nin.com. I assume that after that amount of time there might be some tweaking to be completed. Also, I think Trent hinted not too long ago that there was some additional audio unearthed that needed to be mixed. In any case, I am half joking since I don't think that is ever coming out. As much as I love the last 2 releases I would happily wait a while if it meant we could get some unreleased The Fragile stuff first.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I never understood the 5.1 mix; the return to him would be low. The amount of time and effort required to convert all tracks on TF to 5.1 would not be worth the monetary and personal satisfaction return. Also who would benefit from it? 100-1000 die hard fans?

For TR it seems a bit unsatisfying to spend all that time, money and effort just to end up with an album already released, hated, and loved.

That amount of time, brainpower, and money would be better spent doing something new like OSTs and other new stuff.

PS I heard a rumor that EP3 is coming out soon.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Now that we're headed towards the arrival of the final EP of this series, the trilogy certainly had some highs and some mediocre for me.

For Not the Actual Events, it's telling that my favorite song off the album and one of my favorite songs Trent has released in quite sometime was a David Lynch request in "She's Gone Away." That and the EP's opener and closers are pretty great, but "The Idea of You" feels like something that would've fit more at home on the garage rock/industrial aesthetic of the Slip. It's probably that Mudvayne sounding guitar riff that throws me off and how clean the production on it is.

Add Violence I think I revisit less and less now. "Not Anymore" is another awesome track and "The Background World" is cool (even if the ending is a bit silly and nowhere near as interesting of "noise" as it could've been) but holy hell, I don't think I've skipped a Nine Inch Nails track on an album as fast as I do since "Me, I'm Not" with "This Isn't the Place." I just can't get into that song at all.

All in all, I've excited to check out what's in store for this next one and while I'd love more songs like with the production and mood of "She's Gone Away" / "Not Anymore" ... I think we'll see a mixture of the two EPs for this next one. I hardly post as much as I used to, but I see a lot of people still sour on Hesitation Marks a lot. Honestly, that record doesn't bug me as much as some other people as the electronic production on that reminds me a lot of Nine Inch Nails and Gorillaz at times. I like my Nine Inch Nails to be a little more noisy, chaotic and uncomfortable, but that albums mood is fine for me ... and hell, I even like "Everything" way more than "Satellite."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    I never understood the 5.1 mix; the return to him would be low. The amount of time and effort required to convert all tracks on TF to 5.1 would not be worth the monetary and personal satisfaction return. Also who would benefit from it? 100-1000 die hard fans?

For TR it seems a bit unsatisfying to spend all that time, money and effort just to end up with an album already released, hated, and loved.

That amount of time, brainpower, and money would be better spent doing something new like OSTs and other new stuff.

I see what you're saying, but the mix is already done. At least I think that's what he said about 10 years ago. And for someone as into sound as him, I DO think it's worth it, even if it's not going to be a huge financial success.

I'm hoping 2019 is the true end of The Fragile era, with Deviations 2, and the 5.1, and just fucking everything getting its final release.
    I'd love to stop complaining...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    So... they finally figured out all that ARG stuff with NTAE and AV did they? Well, bring on EP3!!!

j/k... we all know what soon means in NIN world.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I see what you're saying, but the mix is already done. At least I think that's what he said about 10 years ago. And for someone as into sound as him, I DO think it's worth it, even if it's not going to be a huge financial success.

I'm hoping 2019 is the true end of The Fragile era, with Deviations 2, and the 5.1, and just fucking everything getting its final release.
    I'd love to stop complaining...
    I'm still of the belief that Deviations 2 will be a different album

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I'm still of the belief that Deviations 2 even exists in a real world and not laying beside Tension Bluray and Tapeworm album

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I'm still of the belief that Deviations 2 even exists in a real world and not laying beside Tension Bluray and Tapeworm album
    I should rephrase my comment. I'm of the belief that the tentative plans for Deviations 2, should it ever actually happen, are for a different album than The Fragile

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Now that we're headed towards the arrival of the final EP of this series, the trilogy certainly had some highs and some mediocre for me.

For Not the Actual Events, it's telling that my favorite song off the album and one of my favorite songs Trent has released in quite sometime was a David Lynch request in "She's Gone Away." That and the EP's opener and closers are pretty great, but "The Idea of You" feels like something that would've fit more at home on the garage rock/industrial aesthetic of the Slip. It's probably that Mudvayne sounding guitar riff that throws me off and how clean the production on it is.

Add Violence I think I revisit less and less now. "Not Anymore" is another awesome track and "The Background World" is cool (even if the ending is a bit silly and nowhere near as interesting of "noise" as it could've been) but holy hell, I don't think I've skipped a Nine Inch Nails track on an album as fast as I do since "Me, I'm Not" with "This Isn't the Place." I just can't get into that song at all.

All in all, I've excited to check out what's in store for this next one and while I'd love more songs like with the production and mood of "She's Gone Away" / "Not Anymore" ... I think we'll see a mixture of the two EPs for this next one. I hardly post as much as I used to, but I see a lot of people still sour on Hesitation Marks a lot. Honestly, that record doesn't bug me as much as some other people as the electronic production on that reminds me a lot of Nine Inch Nails and Gorillaz at times. I like my Nine Inch Nails to be a little more noisy, chaotic and uncomfortable, but that albums mood is fine for me ... and hell, I even like "Everything" way more than "Satellite."
    I don't get it. The Idea of You and This Isn't the Place are my favorite tracks on their respective EPs. It is very interesting to me that everyone seems to have different favorites on these EPs.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I should rephrase my comment. I'm of the belief that the tentative plans for Deviations 2, should it ever actually happen, are for a different album than The Fragile
    Interesting...if that's the case, if a "deviation" is an instrumental version of an album with unreleased stuff, then why not "Deviations 1: The Fragile"? From a completely semantic point of view, one should have the sequenced title first, then the subtitle.
    Personally, I'm expecting "The Fragile: Deviations 2" before...I don't know..."With Teeth: Deviations 2" or "With Teeth: Deviations 1".
    Otherwise, what's the point of the "1" then to indicate the first in a sequence?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Interesting...if that's the case, if a "deviation" is an instrumental version of an album with unreleased stuff, then why not "Deviations 1: The Fragile"? From a completely semantic point of view, one should have the sequenced title first, then the subtitle.
    Personally, I'm expecting "The Fragile: Deviations 2" before...I don't know..."With Teeth: Deviations 2" or "With Teeth: Deviations 1".
    Otherwise, what's the point of the "1" then to indicate the first in a sequence?
    I agree with Kyle on this one, I took the sequencing to mean a different album would have a Deviation at a later point. TR did put out an Instrumental for some of his LP's on Apple Music. This leads me to believe he was testing and working on something and TF happened to be the one he liked the most to put out as a halo, halo 30.

On another note, and I have asked this before, If TR did a Deviations for Ghost would that mean it would have lyrics?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I don't get it. The Idea of You and This Isn't the Place are my favorite tracks on their respective EPs. It is very interesting to me that everyone seems to have different favorites on these EPs.
    Agreed!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    I agree with Kyle on this one, I took the sequencing to mean a different album would have a Deviation at a later point. TR did put out an Instrumental for some of his LP's on Apple Music. This leads me to believe he was testing and working on something and TF happened to be the one he liked the most to put out as a halo, halo 30.

On another note, and I have asked this before, If TR did a Deviations for Ghost would that mean it would have lyrics?
    I also think it will be for a different album if there is ever a Deviations 2. But I really think it will be a case of "1. Outside". Pessimistic I know but I doubt if all of the other albums have the same amount of unused material as TF.

On the other hand, if it was The Fragile: Deviations 2, surely it would be all of the extra stuff but with vocals this time. Please let it be that..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    I also think it will be for a different album if there is ever a Deviations 2. But I really think it will be a case of "1. Outside". Pessimistic I know but I doubt if all of the other albums have the same amount of unused material as TF.

On the other hand, if it was The Fragile: Deviations 2, surely it would be all of the extra stuff but with vocals this time. Please let it be that..
    And The Fragile: Deviations 3 is a video release of EVERYTHING.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    And The Fragile: Deviations 3 is a video release of EVERYTHING.
    Would Deviations 4 be the 5.1 mix then? And if so, should it be called Deviations 5.1?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    They do realize he's worked on every Nine Inch Nails album since The Downward Spiral, right?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    5 NIN songs in 2016 along with Before the Flood soundtrack AND unreleased Fragile tracks
    5 NIN songs in 2017 along with Patriots Day & Vietnam soundtracks (and the Vietnam soundtrack is amazing)
    5? NIN songs in 2018 along with a tour and who knows what else?

So he missed getting the 3rd EP out by a few months...considering the quality of the output over the last few years, I'm pretty satisfied so far!!

don't forget the Halloween cover!!