Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Movies (Spoilers)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    TROS was my least favorite of the new trilogy.

As for the prequels, at least they were memorable, not in a good way, but still memorable. TROS was just so meh.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    its totally trash. I cant believe this was the end of something ive spent 40 years of my life being a fan of.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I had really low expectations for TROS - I knew what I was going to get going in. Likewise for TLJ. And I found each of them entertaining in their own bewilderingly daft ways. But I'm sure I'd have had different experiences if I had expected more.
    I was pretty disappointed with the TFA though, precisely because I was expecting so much. But since then I've treated new Star Wars like the big stupid Disneyland roller-coaster that it is, turned off my brain and enjoyed the ride.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    We're back here, huh lol? TFA, I was expecting more than a rehashed story, but it was a bit refreshing, TLJ was gorgeous and actually took some risks, TROS wasn't long enough, but that still wouldn't have saved the terrible writing and once again... Rehashed ideas. We got robbed of ever seeing what Ben Solo could have been... Instead we got Rey Star Wars. Fuck, that movie really pissed me off.

Attack of the Clones is garbage, Anakin and Padme were miscast, the only light from that film was McGregor and Lee (RIP).

Forgot to say, TROS was worse.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 04-26-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    TROS was my least favorite of the new trilogy.

As for the prequels, at least they were memorable, not in a good way, but still memorable. TROS was just so meh.
    It's definitely true that for a the prequels are bad they are, for some reason, filled with tons of iconic and memorable lines... It's just iconic and memorable for unintentional reasons. It's burned in our memories, it lives on in memes.

If the discussion of is: what was worse? Easily rise of the skywalker

Attack of the clones is a bad movie on accident it makes a lot of mistakes and the worst one by far is not being more aware of how rapey Anakin comes off. Is he rapey like that on purpose? Who knows?! I can't figure out whether it would be worse if it was deliverate or not. Foundationally, Clones is bad, it comes from something before it that was poorly conceived, horribly, structured, but at least sometimes exciting in execution. The decision to start off with Anakin as a child was probably misguided, but the decision to leap so far ahead in his life might also be misguided... Surely by accident: Anakin is becomes Darth Vader between Phantom and Clones, we never really see this journey.

Bonus round: Solo is worse than clones because on top of being bad, it's boring and forgettable. Clones is neither boring nor forgettable.

But Rise is worse. Rise has a lot of similar mistakes in characterization and in just straight up not giving a fuck about maintaining it's own idea or conveying important plot logic. Fine. Those are mistakes. The worst thing are the intentional choices. *Intentionally* going out of their way to no-homo Finn and Poe. *Intentionally* yielding to fans who brutally harassed the actress who played rose. *Intentionally* going through all of the script in the previous movie and undoing it by the detail. Even if you didn't like it, you have to recognize that Rian Johnson made valid artistic choices and that for Abrams to so thoroughly undo them is very bizarre from an artistic standpoint, to so carefully and publically smear the bolder choices of a collaborator and colleage. That is awful, but is made more awful by the theme that Abrams erased: Abrams made a movie that doubled down on the importance of nepotism and race lineage. The validity of tradition. I think that's horrible. Rise is a star wars movies for gamergaters in MAGA hats. It's so much worse than any other star wars movie.
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 04-26-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I remember I saw TROS and then Knives Out immediately after. It really struck me how much better a director Rian Johnson is than Abrams. Different kinds of movies, but Johnson is an infinitely better filmmaker.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Rise has a lot of similar mistakes in characterization and in just straight up not giving a fuck about maintaining it's own idea or conveying important plot logic. Fine. Those are mistakes. The worst thing are the intentional choices. *Intentionally* going out of their way to no-homo Finn and Poe. *Intentionally* yielding to fans who brutally harassed the actress who played rose. *Intentionally* going through all of the script in the previous movie and undoing it by the detail. Even if you didn't like it, you have to recognize that Rian Johnson made valid artistic choices and that for Abrams to so thoroughly undo them is very bizarre from an artistic standpoint, to so carefully and publically smear the bolder choices of a collaborator and colleage. That is awful, but is made more awful by the theme that Abrams erased: Abrams made a movie that doubled down on the importance of nepotism and race lineage. The validity of tradition. I think that's horrible. Rise is a star wars movies for gamergaters in MAGA hats. It's so much worse than any other star wars movie.
    thank you for articulating this (especially the point i bolded) so perfectly.

but Babu is great. Babu can stay. i love Babu. i'm not even kidding. every time i think about Babu, i giggle.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Babu is the best thing about the whole new trilogy. But I still enjoyed TROS for what it was, a nice commercial movie during christmas time with neat effects and nothing to worry about.

Attack of the Clones might very well be the worst movie I have ever seen at the cinema. It's hilarious how bad and campy it is, but I have to agree that these prequels live on in memes and build the foundation to way more genuine Star Wars lore than the new movies ever did. And of course the prequels had McGregor who is an instant classic.

Still not feeling Rogue One though and like Solo as a western in space. Guess Solo would have been a nice little flick if it wasn't Star Wars and handled a bit more like a true Western or got the crazy Guardians of the Galaxy treatment. I enjoy it though! And Rogue of course was extemely well made, but didn't serve any purpose for me as well.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I remember I saw TROS and then Knives Out immediately after. It really struck me how much better a director Rian Johnson is than Abrams. Different kinds of movies, but Johnson is an infinitely better filmmaker.
    This. The dude can really write. Abrams could never write a movie like Knives Out, or even Brick for that matter which I find to be the better film. Those movies ooze with style.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I have a soft spot for Rogue One because it's the first big movie that my brother worked on (he's an editor). But it's not without it's flaws. Still, I think it holds up best of the new crop.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think Rouge One is the third best SW movie overall, right behind ESB and ANH.

I enjoyed Solo. It wasn't amazing, but it was a fun flick.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    rogue one is the only world war ii movie i've ever enjoyed watching haha

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Watched TRoS yesterday as it came to Disney+ and...oh boy. Despite near-basement levels of expectations it managed to be worse than I expected. The amount "oh hey, I can do this crazy thing now!" between Rey and Kylo was just bonkers.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    What was that thing Fin had to tell Rey? "I love you?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    What was that thing Fin had to tell Rey? "I love you?"
    He is force sensitive. Not sure if that was confirmed or not.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It was.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    My favorite thing to do is gathering information from the internet, so I can know what actually happened in the movie. It is the real testament of good writing. They either hit you in the face with something, or they are so ambigious, that you need twitter to get a proper answer. Not to mention it is a good feeding source for quality articles like YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT!!!! X Y REVEALED WHAT FINN WHISPERED!!!!!!!!!!! WE ARE ABSOLUTELY FLOORED! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!!

Solo wasn't that bad, but it wasn't Star Wars. In fact, its worst moments were when it tried to inject Star Wars into it.

R1 would have been an awesome mini-series, but the terrible writing and lack of time sadly keeps it from being truly amazing. Still, many people are over the moon for it, because at least it's different (unlike the travesty which are the sequels desperately trying to play on our nostalgia) and Star Wars (unlike Solo). The ending is also like a breath of fresh air. Actual people are being murdered. Our protagonists sacrificed their lives for the greater good. Compare that to no one's ever really gone and... yeah.

Maybe it's too much to wish for that I want Kennedy gone, but at the very least make the next SW movies completely disconnected from the OT. Sure, we are bound to get some references, small cameos, I don't mind that.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    ...at the very least make the next SW movies completely disconnected from the OT. Sure, we are bound to get some references, small cameos, I don't mind that.
    on this point we are 100% agreed.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The Star Wars universe is pretty massive, or can be if they went away from the OT which I thought they would have tried to do at this point already. Hoping Taika Waititi can finally give us this.

Imo, Rian Johnson attempted this with broom boy that anyone can be a Jedi and not have to be connected to past bloodlines and family names and follow that tired formula; Instead he gets crucified for it. Hilarious that "Thank you Rian Johnson" was trending numerous times on Twitter these past few months because people were realizing how much better TLJ (Not meaning it was miles better, but it at least took risks) was than the conclusion we got with ROS.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The exciting part of Star Wars right now is the Mandalorian, which stands on it's own and can be discussed without causing any headaches.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my best friend FINALLY watched this movie today and let me tell you how relieved i am that a) we can finally talk about it and b) she had the EXACT same reactions as me and my wife did

she's in the small minority who actually like D-0 because it's modeled after a bird and she does scientific illustration and absolutely adores birds

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Imo, Rian Johnson attempted this with broom boy that anyone can be a Jedi and not have to be connected to past bloodlines and family names and follow that tired formula; Instead he gets crucified for it.
    This was not the problem with that f'ing movie. One of the few things I liked about it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I might watch the movie again since it's on D+ just to see if I still feel the same way about it. I couldn't even talk about it with my wife/son because of how much it angered me. I saw a tweet thread the other day about movies you hope get a sequel and someone said The Last Jedi and I definitely agree with that.

please note that this is not a writing prompt for more TLJ arguments so please stop typing right now.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    This was not the problem with that f'ing movie. One of the few things I liked about it.
    Didn't mean to seem like that was the main gripe with the film, but other flaws aside, it didn't anger me like the ROS did. What was so bad about that scene to you? What did you like?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Didn't mean to seem like that was the main gripe with the film, but other flaws aside, it didn't anger me like the ROS did. What was so bad about that scene to you? What did you like?
    No, I liked that scene & the implied sentiment behind it too. My point was that aspect of the film is one of the few bright spots & good ideas he had, and it is decidedly NOT one of things he got crucified for imo. But he deservedly got crucified for plenty of other shitty things about that movie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I thought all three movies of the sequel trilogy were very enjoyable. TLJ and TROS were both extremely disappointing at first, but both are very enjoyable on subsequent viewings. I am in the camp that TLJ really just took the wind out of the sails. Sure, if JJ had made the second movie it would have likely been very safe, but I feel it would have moved the story forward in a way that fit a three movie frame. TLJ is an enjoyable movie, but really just felt like it did nothing to move the story forward in a way that it could be finished in a third movie. It did have better character development in some cases and it has my favorite scenes from the trilogy... it just didn't work for some reason. I think it would have been fine if they didn't force the story into three movies. ROS is pretty fun and crammed a lot of good ideas into it, but it really needed to be two movies.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    No, I liked that scene & the implied sentiment behind it too. My point was that aspect of the film is one of the few bright spots & good ideas he had, and it is decidedly NOT one of things he got crucified for imo. But he deservedly got crucified for plenty of other shitty things about that movie.
    Shit, I read the last part of your post wrong when I sent that.

More polarizing crap from these movies then because I've heard the opposite with that end scene. In a nutshell, TLJ pissed me off less than ROS did; the movies got worse as they went along imo.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It’s interesting to me how opinions on these movies are not dormant, but rather continually evolving for me.

The Force Awakens was reasonably enjoyable at the time of release, didn’t create outrage or disgrace the franchise after all the build up, but the more time you put into dissecting it, it became clearer and clearer how cowardly and unoriginal it really was. I had it at a 7, but in hindsight it’s probably more of a 4 now.

The Last Jedi I was completely baffled by, and went through many stages of grief. Confusion, denial, rage, and eventually acceptance. After multiple rewatches there was more to appreciate once you got past some of the hang ups. Hamill’s performance, the cinematography, the score. It probably increased a little more for me after that, going from a 1.5 to a 2.5.

The Rise of Skywalker had a quest for salvation and early in the movie it became clear that was impossible despite my hopes and I became pretty disconnected shortly thereafter as a result where by the end I could barely care. But now, on multiple rewatches I’ve come to enjoy a few more of the nuggets. Sure it was breakneck fan service, mostly shallow in nature, but they rest a lot better for me. I probably went from a 4.5 to now a 6.5 or even 7. As much as I miss the exposition, and definitely agree it would have been so much better served as two films, once you are able to fill in the gaps yourself it helps a lot to just enjoy the ride and not question the logic behind some of the borderline insulting decision making. Watching a lot of the special features on the blu ray added some good additional context for me. It’s probably my favorite Star Wars film now outside of the original 6, and debatably gives TPM a run for its money.

The trilogy itself is still a mostly ridiculously hodge podge effort, but I’m at peace with it now. I can enjoy elements of it, and have some closure. I know there will be better Star Wars to come.

If we can get an animated series focusing on Luke’s time post Rotj as the next clone wars, with Hamill doing the voice acting, that would be amazing. Surprised nobody here is talking about the end of Clone Wars, because that was just perfection.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    One of the most annyoing things about the new trilogy for me is time. It all feels very rushed, things that are established and seem interesting get put on the back burner to have more fancy and mindless action pieces thrown in as well as on the nose fan service that turns out to be quite the opposite. To really dive into these new characters would take way more time than those 3 movies with little to none developement of character. I agree that a trilogy is just way too short for all things introduced here and ROS feels ultimately more rushed than any other SW installemet.

The prequel trilogy are still a disaster cinema-wise imho, but with Clone Wars and alot of lore to expand everything, it seems they have more meaning and depth in the end. This new trilogy just never goes anywhere, and while for me it captures SW aesthetically better than the prequels, it just has nothing to say. Instead they just keep gettig back to old characters that are killed off or are being offered some form of lackluster redemption which lessems the effect Rey and Kylo have as the backbone of these new movies.

I'm curious how well these three new movies will stand the test of time, how much will be added in the future and how well we will digest them. The prequels don't feel as bad now as they did back then and at least Revenge of the Sith had somewhere to go, something to build up. I like bits and pieces of the new trilogy alot and it all looks amazing to me, but the payoff really leaves a lot to be desired. It's maddening to me how everything in this franchise has to be so over the top connected with pretty much every character being related to one character from the original trilogy. Ultimately these new movies make me crave more SW in the end, explanations, new places, new characters outside of the Skywalker saga.
    Last edited by dlb; 05-08-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    My favorite thing to do is gathering information from the internet, so I can know what actually happened in the movie. It is the real testament of good writing. They either hit you in the face with something, or they are so ambigious, that you need twitter to get a proper answer. Not to mention it is a good feeding source for quality articles like YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT!!!! X Y REVEALED WHAT FINN WHISPERED!!!!!!!!!!! WE ARE ABSOLUTELY FLOORED! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!!

Solo wasn't that bad, but it wasn't Star Wars. In fact, its worst moments were when it tried to inject Star Wars into it.

R1 would have been an awesome mini-series, but the terrible writing and lack of time sadly keeps it from being truly amazing. Still, many people are over the moon for it, because at least it's different (unlike the travesty which are the sequels desperately trying to play on our nostalgia) and Star Wars (unlike Solo). The ending is also like a breath of fresh air. Actual people are being murdered. Our protagonists sacrificed their lives for the greater good. Compare that to no one's ever really gone and... yeah.

Maybe it's too much to wish for that I want Kennedy gone, but at the very least make the next SW movies completely disconnected from the OT. Sure, we are bound to get some references, small cameos, I don't mind that.
    Terrible writing in R1? Can you be specific? I thought the writing was rather good, especially for a SW movie. What sci-fi movie would you say has good writing, for comparison?

On another note, I still say TLJ was an excellent, well made film and hand's down the best of the sequel trilogy.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-13-2020 at 07:16 AM.