Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Year Zero Feels Super Relevant Again

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    I'm definitely wearing mine on January 20th.
    I'll be wearing a different shirt I bought the day of the election to make myself feel better.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...ld-trump-shirt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Capital G could easily be swapped out for Capital D OR Capital T.
    Or now, perhaps, Capital P?

(Ugh, I'm making junior high puns. What has this man done to me?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Year Zero has always been relevant!

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I could have sworn that Trent said it wasn't about Bush.
    Though everyone seems to think it is, I thought it was pretty obvious that that the Bush administration, while a major contributor, is not the sole source of Year Zero. For starters, it's set in 2022 (by then, Bush will have been out of office for 13 years) which becomes Zero to signify that America has been "born again", indicating that religion is one of the biggest contributors ("God Given" anyone?). Just because the Democrats took back the White House after Bush, doesn't mean that America became a happy utopia in which totalitarian dictatorships couldn't possibly rise up to undo any sort of progress made in the Obama administration (and did anyone really think we could keep the Republicans out of the White House forever?).

If you take a look at Russia or the Middle East, or even the European Union, it's pretty obvious that that the world is a ticking time bomb that may blow if something along the lines of Year Zero were to happen in America. And even in America itself (in addition to Congress), there is still crap like North Carolina's bathroom bill and Indiana's "religious freedom" bill, the latter being signed by a governor who will be our Vice President in just slightly over a week (and maybe POTUS himself, depending on what happens to Trump). Oh, I have not forgotten about the NSA or the militarization of police forces.

There's still plenty of time for the religious right to take full control of our country, either by force or (even worse, now that Trump and Pence have been elected) people willingly voting potential dictators into office.

What I'm trying to say is that we did not stop gravitating towards Year Zero with Obama being elected or have only just started again now that Trump has been elected.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    Year Zero has always been relevant!

Though everyone seems to think it is, I thought it was pretty obvious that that the Bush administration, while a major contributor, is not the sole source of Year Zero. For starters, it's set in 2022 (by then, Bush will have been out of office for 13 years) which becomes Zero to signify that America has been "born again", indicating that religion is one of the biggest contributors ("God Given" anyone?). Just because the Democrats took back the White House after Bush, doesn't mean that America became a happy utopia in which totalitarian dictatorships couldn't possibly rise up to undo any sort of progress made in the Obama administration (and did anyone really think we could keep the Republicans out of the White House forever?).

If you take a look at Russia or the Middle East, or even the European Union, it's pretty obvious that that the world is a ticking time bomb that may blow if something along the lines of Year Zero were to happen in America. And even in America itself (in addition to Congress), there is still crap like North Carolina's bathroom bill and Indiana's "religious freedom" bill, the latter being signed by a governor who will be our Vice President in just slightly over a week (and maybe POTUS himself, depending on what happens to Trump). Oh, I have not forgotten about the NSA or the militarization of police forces.

There's still plenty of time for the religious right to take full control of our country, either by force or (even worse, now that Trump and Pence have been elected) people willingly voting potential dictators into office.

What I'm trying to say is that we did not stop gravitating towards Year Zero with Obama being elected or have only just started again now that Trump has been elected.
    In 2008, I really thought we learned some lessons, and maybe we would begin to pull that long arc back toward justice. As the Republicans got worse, and the many, many injustices of our world began to stagnate, I began to realize my optimism was a pipe dream. For a brief moment, in October, I thought maybe we'd avert the trajectory toward fascism, but that quickly died. As the confirmation hearings blast through at a quick pace, and I hear the things these men are willing to say out loud to Congress, all optimism I had has been squashed. All that is left is resistance.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Ordered mine that day as well and I got the shipment notification email this past Friday.
    Did you order anything else with it?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Did you order anything else with it?
    Nope that order was just the shirt

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Ah. I ordered the shirt + EP so I guess I'm going to be sans shirt for a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Year Zero is a very well thought out and executed concept album that resonates with all of us who have lived long enough to understand the corruption that we live in. It will never lose relevance.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Get a grip you fucking idiots!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Ah. I ordered the shirt + EP so I guess I'm going to be sans shirt for a few months.
    Yeah, I think when you ordered the new stuff, it said somewhere that if you order multiple things that they shit out together when the last thing is ready. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong. All I know if I ordered the shirt separately, at least a full week after the new store went up, and I have the shirt now. So if you don't, you'll probably have to wait for the EP to be ready.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    it said somewhere that if you order multiple things that they shit out together when the last thing is ready.
    Auto-correct FTW!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Sold out. Of fucking course it is. Maybe for the better; assuming shipping wasn't free it would've been over $30 for a t-shirt.
    The shirt seems to be completely back in stock, noticed on the store you can select any size again and add it to your cart. Wish I knew they'd re-print more before I settled on a medium instead of my usual large, but it fits ok.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Capital G for GREAT!

let's give this album another round!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I was going to listen today, but I have a tendency to associate albums with certain times, places, etc if things feel intense enough.

And today is so utterly soul-crushing for me that I genuinely think I'll hate this album going forward if I listen to it know and end up linking it to the way I feel at present.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I was going to listen today, but I have a tendency to associate albums with certain times, places, etc if things feel intense enough.

And today is so utterly soul-crushing for me that I genuinely think I'll hate this album going forward if I listen to it know and end up linking it to the way I feel at present.
    I made a full-on playlist for today (knew I would be editing photos for a long stretch today, and have 2 assignments to go shoot) that includes Year Zero, Broken, NTAE, Rage Against the Machine, Saul Williams, System of A Down, and honestly it's made today much better. Renegades of Funk is playing right now.