Portrait of an American Family
    The Golden Age of Grotesque
    Heaven Upside Down
    The Pale Emperor
    The High End of Low

Born Villain

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I love EMDM. I love the riffs, I love the atmosphere, I love the sense of sonic identity that it has, I love the sense of space and night time vibe to the mixing and overall feel, I love the weird and distant vocals he got by using an old microphone, I love the strong aesthetic and overall feel of trying to achieve a concept, but instead of the higher narrative of the past it's a personal and intimate one. It's theatrical and it's dorky and it's unapologetically embracing the gothy overtones of all of his past work but I love it for that -- it feels like a real sincere attempt at and effort towards something. The paintings tying into it, the artwork around it, the color schemes, the Lewis Carrol/Nabakov/literary bent to it -- it clicks for me and pretty much always has.

It's not at all what you would have expected from a Marilyn Manson album at the time and that to me is perfect -- Manson at his peak was always going against what you'd expect, and the moment he started getting predictable was when things started to go downhill. And the title track is fantastic -- evocative, haunting, the hidden verse that's all cut up and rearranged to be unintelligible, there's just a palpable sense of something there that, even if it might be over the top, is totally coming from a place that means it, and that's what Heaven Upside Down lacks in spades -- a sense of coming from a place of sincerity. There are moments of it that are less than great lyrically, but the musical strength and identity is enough to compensate those weak spots for me. The instrumental version with the extended solos and the Evidence outro makes it fantastic.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 10-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    That's literally the only song, post GAOG, that I've had any interest in at all. Golden was the last album I actually liked. It's not tryptich quality, but, in my mind, it was the last semblance of coherency he had. Even then his schtick had run it's course, but at least he kind of acknowledged it in the opening song, and it was the last time he actually actively tried writing interesting lyrics instead of just loosely linking a bunch of shocking buzzwords together. Nowadays, I mostly just stick to the tryptich. To me, those three albums are tied at the number one spot, because I like them all for different reasons. Was never a Portrait fan either.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    MM on MM's WTF Podcast today

SPOILER: one of them isn't sober

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    is that a goddamn Order of Nine Angles tattoo on his fucking hand?
    sorry, i don't keep up.

damn. i really wanted to like this Say10 tune as i am starting to get into the old albums, but jesus, that fucking chorus makes me cringe. in fact, i'd really like the song if the chorus/title was something not so goofy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I love EMDM. I love the riffs, I love the atmosphere, I love the sense of sonic identity that it has, I love the sense of space and night time vibe to the mixing and overall feel, I love the weird and distant vocals he got by using an old microphone, I love the strong aesthetic and overall feel of trying to achieve a concept, but instead of the higher narrative of the past it's a personal and intimate one. It's theatrical and it's dorky and it's apologetically embracing the gothy overtones of all of his past work but I love it for that -- it feels like a real sincere attempt at and effort towards something. The paintings tying into it, the artwork around it, the color schemes, the Lewis Carrol/Nabakov/literary bent to it -- it clicks for me and pretty much always has.

It's not at all what you would have expected from a Marilyn Manson album at the time and that to me is perfect -- Manson at his peak was always going against what you'd expect, and the moment he started getting predictable was when things started to go downhill. And the title track is fantastic -- evocative, haunting, the hidden verse that's all cut up and rearranged to be unintelligible, there's just a palpable sense of something there that, even if it might be over the top, is totally coming from a place that means it, and that's what Heaven Upside Down lacks in spades -- a sense of coming from a place of sincerity. There are moments of it that are less than great lyrically, but the musical strength and identity is enough to compensate those weak spots for me. The instrumental version with the extended solos and the Evidence outro makes it fantastic.
    This. You get me!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Wow, so I've been a fan of Maron's podcast for years now, and when he was announced as a guest I was extremely excited -- it's the first time that I can ever remember Maron prefacing an interview by saying that his guest was drunk and that as it went along he was only drunker. The beginning of it is less than terrible, but he's very, very obviously on his way to fucked up already. I can already tell that by the end of this it's going to be pull-my-hair-out frustrating to listen to.

Edit: Wow Marc is making the most of it and really getting a lot of fun discussion out of the guy. You can tell Manson feels comfortable with him and Marc indulges enough in the more childish moments to get some better responses out of him in the stronger ones. It feels like the best anyone's going to get out of him for a while. He actually brings up the Holy Wood book/movie and said he plans on still releasing the book (not that he hasn't said that a million times before or anything, but still).
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 10-12-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    My Marilyn Manson album ranking as of now. The first 5 still seem to have remained the same for quite some time though.

1. Mechanical Animals
    2. Antichrist Superstar
    3. Portrait of an American Family
    4. Holy Wood
    5. The Golden Age of Grotesque
    6. Heaven Upside Down
    7. The Pale Emperor
    8. The High End of Low
    9. Eat Me, Drink Me
    10. Born Villain

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Pogo is still bitter. In other news, water is wet.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    That reads to me like a text from a man trying to understand why someone who was once a good friend went batshit and turned on him.

Good on ya MM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Wonder when the rescheduled dates will be anounced?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Probably right after his trip to rehab gets announced.

(I actually really like the new record)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Today!
    Jan. 10 - Phoenix, AZ @ Van Buren
    Jan. 12 - Las Vegas, NV @ House Of Blues
    Jan. 13 - Las Vegas, NV @ House Of Blues
    Jan. 16 - Oakland, CA @ Fox Theatre
    Jan. 19 - Salt Lake City, UT @ The Complex
    Jan. 20 - Denver, CO @ Fillmore
    Jan. 23 - San Antonio, TX @ Aztec Theatre
    Jan. 24 - Houston, TX @ House Of Blues
    Jan. 26 - Springfield, MO @ Shrine Mosque
    Jan. 27 - Tulsa, OK @ Brady Theatre
    Jan. 28 - Kansas City, MO @ Arvest Bank Theatre At The Midland
    Jan. 30 - Des Moines, IA @ 7 Flags Event Center
    Jan. 31 - Minneapolis, MN @ The Myth
    Feb. 02 - Madison, WI @ The Orpheum
    Feb. 03 - Milwaukee, WI @ Eagles Ballroom
    Feb. 06 - Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theatre
    Feb. 07 - Grand Rapids, MI @ 20 Monroe
    Feb. 09 - Buffalo, NY @ Rapids Theatre
    Feb. 11 - Toronto, ON @ Rebel
    Feb. 12 - Boston, MA @ House Of Blues
    Feb. 13 - Baltimore, MD @ Rams Head Live
    Feb. 15 - Huntington, NY @ Paramount Theatre
    Feb. 16 - Sayreville, NJ @ Starland Ballroom

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ooh, grand rapids!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    Well, looks like I'm skipping him again. There's no way I'm spending New Year's Eve watching MM perform while he's drunker than I am. None of my friends would be down for it even it weren't NYE, so I'd have to go solo to boot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Am I only the one on here who really digs the new album? I can actually say, I really like 7/10 songs which for me is a sign of a great album! My favorite song is Tattooed in Reverse, but Heaven Upside Down is highly under-rated and really growing on me!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Well, looks like I'm skipping him again. There's no way I'm spending New Year's Eve watching MM perform while he's drunker than I am. None of my friends would be down for it even it weren't NYE, so I'd have to go solo to boot.
    *ahem* Jan 31, not Dec lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Umm, that looks like February Eve lol

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Uh dude, that's January 31st.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    *ahem* Jan 31, not Dec lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetvet1975 View Post
    Umm, that looks like February Eve lol
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Uh dude, that's January 31st.
    Shit... I'm an idiot. But still, probably won't go.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    That reads to me like a text from a man trying to understand why someone who was once a good friend went batshit and turned on him.

Good on ya MM.
    Honestly if there's one positive of this current era for him it's that he seems genuinely interested in being on better terms with people and behaving like an adult towards those he worked with before. It's a big step up from how he was around The High End of Low.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    Today!
    Jan. 10 - Phoenix, AZ @ Van Buren
    Jan. 12 - Las Vegas, NV @ House Of Blues
    Jan. 13 - Las Vegas, NV @ House Of Blues
    Jan. 16 - Oakland, CA @ Fox Theatre
    Jan. 19 - Salt Lake City, UT @ The Complex
    Jan. 20 - Denver, CO @ Fillmore
    Jan. 23 - San Antonio, TX @ Aztec Theatre
    Jan. 24 - Houston, TX @ House Of Blues
    Jan. 26 - Springfield, MO @ Shrine Mosque
    Jan. 27 - Tulsa, OK @ Brady Theatre
    Jan. 28 - Kansas City, MO @ Arvest Bank Theatre At The Midland
    Jan. 30 - Des Moines, IA @ 7 Flags Event Center
    Feb. 02 - Madison, WI @ The Orpheum
    Feb. 03 - Milwaukee, WI @ Eagles Ballroom
    Feb. 06 - Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theatre
    Feb. 07 - Grand Rapids, MI @ 20 Monroe
    Feb. 09 - Buffalo, NY @ Rapids Theatre
    Feb. 11 - Toronto, ON @ Rebel
    Feb. 12 - Boston, MA @ House Of Blues
    Feb. 13 - Baltimore, MD @ Rams Head Live
    Feb. 15 - Huntington, NY @ Paramount Theatre
    Feb. 16 - Sayreville, NJ @ Starland Ballroom
    Is he going to be well enough to play the November/December gigs he is still scheduled for? His post about the rescheduled dates claims he is, but the link a few posts above this about him talking about his injury says he broke his leg in 2 places, and is being held together with a metal plate and screws, like Dave Grohl's was. Says recovery time is 12-16 weeks... that's 3-4 months. He'll barely be well enough to play the rescheduled US dates let alone those dates in November...

Is he gonna sit on Dave Grohl's throne too?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Is he going to be well enough to play the November/December gigs he is still scheduled for? His post about the rescheduled dates claims he is, but the link a few posts above this about him talking about his injury says he broke his leg in 2 places, and is being held together with a metal plate and screws, like Dave Grohl's was. Says recovery time is 12-16 weeks... that's 3-4 months. He'll barely be well enough to play the rescheduled US dates let alone those dates in November...

If he does sit, maybe he will sing better?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Honestly if there's one positive of this current era for him it's that he seems genuinely interested in being on better terms with people and behaving like an adult towards those he worked with before. It's a big step up from how he was around The High End of Low.
    It's sad to say, but now that he's lost his parents, I think he might be kind of lonely. He probably realizes that life is too short to hold grudges and he is trying to rekindle his friendships. Whether or not they are going to take the bait is a different question.

I just feel bad for Manson reading pogo's response. Like, If you want to talk about someone who hate shim, he really, really despises him beyond words.
    It's kind of sad thinking they can't get passed the past and move on. But, I've had friendships destroyed and I tried to be the better person and reach out to them, and they just ignored me. So, I guess if anything, it says a lot about pogo as a person and not Manson.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    If he does sit, maybe he will sing better?
    Maybe he'll just lay on the ground. He seems to have that down to a science already.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post

I think a few of those will end up postponed or delayed too as it seems they are taking a wait and see perspective on it. I don't think he is as banged up as he lets on, but I am not a doctor, so who knows? We should probably consult Pogo about his feelings on the subject matter.

Speaking of which, does anyone else find it sorta funny that all Pogo wanted to do was watch the Giants game when Manson called, and then suddenly, in said game, almost all of the Giants receivers get injured when Pogo refuses to respond until the game is over. Manson must have some crazy voodoo..lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    On JE$U$ CRI$I$:

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    On JE$U$ CRI$I$:

Aaaahahah I’ve been making this joke since I first heard that song.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

so Fantano hates the new record