Page 125 of 135 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,750 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Well, I'll be the stick in the mud. I think it's okay. What follows is only my opinion.

I'll lead with the good. As many have said, the production is quite good. Sounds crisp and deliberate and professional. The instrumental vibe seems appropriate—it's not grasping at faded glory or the very awkward attempt at goth rocking chair folk that some people felt afraid of. Honestly, I think it's what adult contemporary rock sounds like thirtysome years after we came up with the term and slapped it on Kenny Loggins and the ilk. That's not an insult; musically, the album isn't pushing any boundaries, it's largely inoffensive, and doesn't really feel like a musical costume. When I said in my review of Heaven Upside Down that the last three tracks sounded like late-period Bon Jovi, this is the sound I imagined they were going for even if they didn't quite stick the landing. By and large, it doesn't feel foolish or forced.

It's also cohesive and fairly consistent—possibly simply because the album is the right length. A major gripe of mine for almost every Manson record (exempted: Portrait, Animals, Eat Me, and maybe Emperor) is bloat. Some of those albums are so packed with crap that it's hard to hit any mark of consistency or cohesion. In the case of Chaos, everything holds together nicely. There are no noticeable troughs, so far as I'm concerned (which may be helped along by the fact I also don't really see any peaks). And nothing seems out of place on the record. Heaven was a mishmash of songs that barely seemed like they should have the same performer; "Deep Six" was a real oddball on Emperor; the sudden pivot to two straightforward crap pop synth rock songs near the end of Grotesque has always felt awkward to me. None of that here. While maybe one can excuse High End for being all over the place in that the songs were all written in sequence and no attention was paid to cohesion, every song on this album feels of a piece to me in the same way as Eat Me or (depending on "Deep Six") Pale Emperor.

Lyrically, the album is coherent, mostly. The often cringeworthy wordplay has been toned down quite considerably and there are comparatively few instances of that deliberately-awkward-to-be-artsy thing he's grown to love doing. Aggressive obliqueness. It feels either more soberly written—and I mean that in both senses—or like he allowed someone in to edit. And that's a good thing. There are even a few nice turns of phrase, though I don't see a lot of them. But honestly, I'll chalk up not making me wince as a win.

So, very cool. Kudos. If Shooter was the helm here, he kept it together nicely.

As for the bad, well, it's mostly a lot of meh. I'm threeish listens in over a couple of days and there's plenty of time to grow, but usually I know if something's going to tug at my ear or not by this point. It's bland. Sturdy. And I think I'd be happy for the guy if this was how he chose to ride out the end of his career. But at present, I imagine I'll listen to this thing a few more times and then forget about it. Which is better than when I spent some time with the last record, then put it on the shelf and occasionally scowled about it until a few weeks ago, when I spun it again for our discussion.

The spoken word intro to "Red, Black, & Blue" is the worst moment of the record. So, I'm glad it's out of the way fast? It feels like a Jim Morrisson impersonation. It's not as bad as the spoken word on Born Villain, but it's so prominently placed it feels aggressively unnecessary. If I liked the rest of the track, I'd probably take the time in Audacity to split it right off like the MacBeth intro to "Overneath." Otherwise, it's alright lyrically, but it's got a serious case of what I think I called Second Verse Syndrome when I was talking about his older records. It's like he really plans out a first verse that makes sense, then a chorus (and maybe refrain) that sometimes hits and sometimes doesn't, but which he clearly finds significant, and then the second verse is short and oblique and kind of throwaway. "Coma White"—an excellent track—even has this going on. "Black & Blue" has a really decent, really coherent first verse, then a middling chorus and bridge, and then kinda trails off. And I have this complaint about most of the songs on the record. The song is decent.

"We Are Chaos" sounds better to me in the context of the album and away from its video. It might have been this song I was discussing when I brought up Second Verse Syndrome initially because, ugh, does it have that going on. But it's fine. I'm not mad at it. I like that it still feels a little unexpected.

The bridge of "Don't Chase the Dead" reminds me a lot of "Mechanical Animals." The cadence of "Don't chase the dead or they'll end up chasing you" feels enough like a call back to the cadence of "They'll never be good to you or bad to you" that I can't decide if I like it or not. The song as a whole feels Animals-like, though, and not in an unpleasant way. But it suffers a bit for getting me thinking of that better record because this isn't up to that level. But again, it's okay. Very radio-friendly.

Even if no one had said "Paint You With My Love" sounds like "Love Hurts," I would have caught it by the end of the first bar. Jesus. Lyrically, this is a lower point—this is what I thought the downside of working with Shooter Jennings could look like, although nowhere near as horrifying as I thought it could be. It feels disingenuous, but in such a way that I might, mood-dependent, be inclined to view it as camp. Which suits it fine. The second verse feels like it belongs to a different song, again. And again, it's alright.

"Halfway" has a third verse! The whole thing makes sense! It's a little dull, but it's probably my favorite track on the album—at least for now—and I would be honestly happy if this were what the end of his career sounded like. It doesn't thrill me, but it doesn't outright bore me, and I don't hate it. Plus it feels effortful and earnest—things very much not always guaranteed in Manson's discography. Kudos.

"Infinite Darkness" feels like the same kind of free-form thing as maybe a "Demon Seed," and those sort of ventures can be really impressionistic or fun. This doesn't strike me as either. The proper verses are lackluster and, for me, none of the various refrains hit. Musically, the song is a bit of a slog. All in all, I feel like I'm listening to a radically improved and edited "Doppelherz." At least when he's repeating shit here, it mostly makes sense.

I had high hopes for "Perfume" what with the early reviews. Musically, it's a fun glam stomp. It's pretty generic, but I'll take generic glam stomp over a lot of things. The vocal take and vocal layering annoys me, though. The high-end harmonies on the chorus annoy me to the point I'd like to take out my right earbud; and the lower register slow slur he's doing most of the other singing with feels like it's not quite hitting the mark I'd want something like this to. There's a drunk fat Elvis groove he could have hit here, and I bring it up because I think that's kinda what he was aiming at, but he's not quite landing it.

And it's very possible it might just be because of what's swirling in my head lately, but the first verse doesn't sit well with me. Manson bitching about "victim is chic" and "you're as famous as your pain" reminds me of his whining during the end of 2017 regarding #metoo. And "more fascist than Vogue" brings to mind the ordeal from last year between Evan Rachel Wood and Italian Vogue, that started with a topless shoot she did for them in 2007, resulted in a shitty editorial by one of their writers in 2012, then was called to public attention last summer by Wood, when she found the article. The writer eventually offered a public apology for making Wood feel, in her words, "worthless." And thinking of that made me remember that, post-breakup, Wood also did some heavily publicized nude photos with Chris Evans in an ad campaign for Gucci perfume. So, ugh. Could just be because of shit in the ether, but I'm not really dying to hear Manson singing about chic victimhood and famous pain and then deliver a second verse about buckshot perfume leaving brains in your hair knowing...everything and remembering the video for "Running to the Edge of the World."

Moving on.

"Keep My Head Together" has a...Cure-like vibe to the music? Something very early 1990s goth, before goth got eaten by industrial? Might be the most musically evocative point of the album for me. Like a lot of the other tracks, it's seriously lyrically repetitive, though. But it's not bad. Not innovative and not spectacular, but it definitely qualifies as a highlight. The production on this one particularly sparkles. And it's grown on me more than any other song so far. Side note: Manson's prototypically Manson delivery of "future" in the first verse makes me really wish that Jennings sticks with him for another record and convinces him to lay off the vocal processing for a change.

Can anyone help me with the title of "Solve Coagula"? Am I missing something obvious? I guess the solution for a coagula would be a blood thinner? I don't know. Anyways, fun instrumental break in the middle of this one; I like the noodling and wish it went on longer. And the refrains hit on this one—"I'm just broken and I don't want to be fixed" and "No one else I want to be like so I stay the same like nobody else"—both seem heartfelt and earnest. Though again, like 70% of this song is just a repeated few lines.

"Broken Needle" would be so much better with no vocal processing. I hope there's an acoustic version of this one. It's decent. And it's a pretty solid redux of the patented Latter Era Manson Romance Song, though it starts so much stronger. That first verse is fantastic. Maybe my favorite on the record? And I even kinda like the chorus, when I can think of it more as a cautionary song than a celebration of his tendency to wreck people. Like he's warning the record to stay away from his broken needle. But the song starts losing me when it gets to the fairy tale metaphor in the second verse and, by the end, he's back to using his own damage as a threat. "I'll never ever play you again." For a song that starts out as such a lamentation, the turn at the end feels tonally shitty to me. Maybe it'll hit me differently on subsequent listens.

So, overall, pretty decent effort. And I'm glad everyone else really seems to be digging it. I don't at the moment, but I do think it's got some stuff going for it and it's a hell of an improvement from the last outing. And like I said, maybe it'll grow on me. If I had to stack it at this moment, I'd say that it lands higher than High End, but lower than Grotesque, which makes it...eighth for me? If something grew on me, it could edge out Grotesque​ based solely on its production, coherence, and consistency.
    The whole thing of Perfume related to Evan, felt the same listening and didn't sit well on me to.

Solve Coagula it's from "Solve et coagula", latin for "dissolve to coagulate", alchemy thing that means you have to break something to reform it to something new.
    (also, didn't know if you already knew that and your question about the song was related to some other stuff so I apologise for that if it's the case.)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    7.5 / 10

This album is a logical addition to a catalog that has been filled with similarly-styled tracks. The majority of it feels like it could have been Holy Wood b-sides.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I agree with @Sesquipedalism on the spoken word intro. There are little moments of it that have potential, but overall I think it's cheesy. I wish they had gone back to the whiteboard for that one and reworked it a little and shortened it. I also agree that it's nice to have an album that is on the shorter side as a whole.

Manson's voice sounds really emotive in the last third of "Paint You With My Love" and my biggest frustration with that track is that I wish they hadn't processed his vocals so heavily. I know he's getting older and can't sing like he used to, but I don't care. If you are able to capture a moment of vulnerability in a performance then you may as well let the human element of a broken voice creep in, makes it seem more interesting and sincere to me. That's just a personal preference though, the song is solid otherwise.

Half-Way & One Step Forward is VERY pretty. I really, really love this song. It sounds even better now that i'm not listening to a shitty leaked version lol. I can't say enough good things about this song.

Infinite Darkness has some great lyrical moments. The "just because you're famous don't mean you're worth anything" (or whatever the line is) kind of caught me off guard in a good way. Like others have mentioned, he seems to be more self-aware on this album. I appreciate that, more of that please. The whispered parts at the end sound so nice. Shooter has done this man a real solid with his production work.

I'm way less impressed with "Perfume" than a lot of people seem to be. It's fine, I don't hate it but I'm sort of "meh" about it. But it sounds like something off The Pale Emperor,
    so I get why people would dig it.

"Keep My Head Together" is another one I could take or leave. For me this song, "Perfume" and "We Are Chaos" are the weakest on the album overall.

More great lyrics on "Solve Coagula", although a bit repetitive. I think sometimes when he knows he's got a witty/punchy line he just runs it into the ground rather than building up strong lyrics around it. That short little noodly guitar break like 2/3 of the way through is pretty too.

The first chunk of "Broken Needle" reminds me a lot of some of the slower songs on "Holy Wood". I think that's mostly due to his vocals here.

This isn't god-tier by any means, but it's solid. Very pleased overall. I hope he keeps Shooter and Lindsay around because they seem to be keeping his self-destructive impulses to a minimum and when he's got a clear head he can still make decent work.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Half-Way & One Step Forward is VERY pretty. I really, really love this song. It sounds even better now that i'm not listening to a shitty leaked version lol. I can't say enough good things about this song.
    Yeah, it's hands down my favorite on the album and I honestly don't think I've craved hearing a Manson song like this one since Coma White. I wouldn't go as far as to call the album a masterpiece, but I do think it's his best since Holy Wood. Manson put out a great album in 2020 and that is the most shocking thing he's done in a while.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Can anyone help me with the title of "Solve Coagula"? Am I missing something obvious? I guess the solution for a coagula would be a blood thinner? I don't know. Anyways, fun instrumental break in the middle of this one; I like the noodling and wish it went on longer. And the refrains hit on this one—"I'm just broken and I don't want to be fixed" and "No one else I want to be like so I stay the same like nobody else"—both seem heartfelt and earnest. Though again, like 70% of this song is just a repeated few lines.

He's got Solve Coagula tattooed on his hands and he's used it before in the above shirt.

"The best-known modern image of Baphomet was drawn in 1856 by the French occultist Eliphas Levi, in his book Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual.He envisaged a winged hermaphrodite with a torch between his horns and a pentagram on his forehead.
    Its arms bore the Latin words SOLVE (separate) and COAGULA (join together) - the powers of "binding and loosing" usurped from God.
    Levi's drawing was the inspiration for the Satanic Temple's new monument.
    "It contains all these binary opposites - above and below, part animal, part human. Male and female," says Greaves.
    "It embodies opposites and celebrates contrasts."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I’m hearing tones of Floyd’s The Thin Ice on Paint You with My Love.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    As someone who hasn't paid much attention to Manson's lyrics since nearly 20 years ago, I feel confident in saying there's not a bad song on the album. Some are worse than others (Red, Black, and Blue may be my least favorite) but I'm not skipping any of them.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    A new Manson album.....and everyone likes it????? What is going on here?

Wait a month and then everyone will start saying how its overrated overproduced shit and sounds like Born Villain 2.0

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    A new Manson album.....and everyone likes it????? What is going on here?
    Exactly the same thing happened with The Pale Emperor. The bar is so low that people ready to lose their minds over anything slightly better than mediocre. (Disclaimer: I haven't heard the album yet)
    Last edited by fillow; 09-11-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Broken Needle has a locked inner groove.
    Very Cool.
    Last edited by brotha52; 09-11-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I'm really enjoying the new album! Feels effortless.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I'm really enjoying the new album! Feels effortless.
    It's really good actually, which is not what I went in expecting at all. I'd like to think that means I'm somewhat open-minded, because I really expected to hate the shit out of it.
    This is easily the best album MM's made since Mechanical Animals.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Exactly the same thing happened with The Pale Emperor.
    I don't know about that, because a few people in this very thread have seemed uncertain if the album lives up to TPE or not.

I for one still enjoy that album. It's got its share of weak lyrical moments, but musically it's pretty damned on point. Half the reason HUD is considered a staggering disappointment hereabouts is because it came after that.

(The other half is because it's fucking terrible)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    well, personally, I thought The Pale Emperor was garbage, but I just didn't really feel like offering that opinion because why stir the pot... people liked it and I just decided it wasn't my thing.

We Are Chaos is infinitely more interesting in my opinion... and it's a lot more fun. It's actually an enjoyable nostalgia rush throwback record. I like it. I didn't see what people liked about Pale Emperor.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    well, personally, I thought The Pale Emperor was garbage, but I just didn't really feel like offering that opinion because why stir the pot... people liked it and I just decided it wasn't my thing.

We Are Chaos is infinitely more interesting in my opinion... and it's a lot more fun. It's actually an enjoyable nostalgia rush throwback record. I like it. I didn't see what people liked about Pale Emperor.
    I hated The Pale Emperor when I first heard it and its not until the past few months that some of it has started to become a little more palatable. Tyler Bates as a producer was always a mistake, in my opinion.

I'm really enjoying We Are Chaos.....no embarrassing/cringey moments whatsoever (Heaven Upside Down). The intro spoken word intro piece is cool.....I'm used to Al Jourgensen sounding like a dipshit, so this Manson piece is poetic in comparison.

Great day to be a Manson fan.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I feel like that laugh track sample in the spoken word intro is there for a reason. Whole thing seems pretty tongue-in-cheek, self-deprecating. "Lookit me, I'm the big scary Antichrist!"

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    Great day to be a Manson fan.
    It better be, cuz nobody saw this coming. There's no way that I imagined Manson would put out a song like Paint You With My Love or Half-Way One Step Forward ... but this is just generally damn good. First "good surprise" of 2020

And the closer, Broken Needle, is actually kind of brilliant. I never thought I'd say this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-11-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well, I'll be the stick in the mud. I think it's okay. What follows is only my opinion.

So, overall, pretty decent effort. And I'm glad everyone else really seems to be digging it. I don't at the moment, but I do think it's got some stuff going for it and it's a hell of an improvement from the last outing. And like I said, maybe it'll grow on me. If I had to stack it at this moment, I'd say that it lands higher than High End, but lower than Grotesque, which makes it...eighth for me? If something grew on me, it could edge out Grotesque​ based solely on its production, coherence, and consistency.
    Don't worry, myself and @october_midnight are also sticks in the mud when it comes to this.
    Least I assume old 'tober still hates this, lol.

I must have listened to this record about 20x by now, and I still don't get why this is being so highly praised. It's like everyone is in on a practical joke and I'm not.
    It's definitely a step up from "Heaven Upside Down", but I keep seeing it being described as "the best record in 20 years" and "The best since holy wood" and I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering if I heard the same record.

It better be, cuz nobody saw this coming. There's no way that I imagined Manson would put out a song like Paint You With My Love or Half-Way One Step Forward ... but this is just generally damn good. First "good surprise" of 2020
    I do really like those 2 songs though. Those are the 2 songs I keep going back to and can't getting enough of.
    I usually start the record at "paint" now. I can't stand the opening track. Title track is, well... just a bit overplayed for me and I don't like "Don't chase the dead" at all, weak second single IMO.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 09-11-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Don't worry, myself and @october_midnight are also sticks in the mud when it comes to this.
    Least I assume old 'tober still hates this, lol.

I must have listened to this record about 20x by now, and I still don't get why this is being so highly praised. It's like everyone is in on a practical joke and I'm not.
    It's definitely a step up from "Heaven Upside Down", but I keep seeing it being described as "the best record in 20 years" and "The best since holy wood" and I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering if I heard the same record.
    IMO, it's WAY better than Holy Wood, even with that cringe lyric breakdown w/ "I fucking love you, love fucking you" thing that is just, well, sorta unfortunate

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    IMO, it's WAY better than Holy Wood, even with that cringe lyric breakdown w/ "I fucking love you, love fucking you" thing that is just, well, sorta unfortunate
    That part definitely is "user friendly" levels of cringe, lol.
    Those lyrics ruin an otherwise half-decent track.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I know the Elton John vocal melody but where is the guitar at the start of Solve Coagula from? It repeats at the end too and he sings to it. I know I recognize it from a classic rock song but it’s escaping me.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I hate admitting how good this is... it's like shaking an opponent's hand. It's incredible in what it's trying to pull off, and it's audacious and insane, and it actually succeeds. Even if I hated this kind of music, I'd have to acknowledge that this is well informed, performed, and incredibly produced. It's just so much more clever than anyone could expect, given, y'know... it's new wave one moment, typical manson another, then it's aping Bowie, then it's groove metal industrial, then it's Sisters of Mercy, weird pop ballad, and then it's actually trying to ape The Beatles, and it pulls it off.

This is crazy. Not even that Hazekiah guy saw this coming.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Not even that Hazekiah guy saw this coming.
    He's probably already written a 10k word thesis on the album, comparing it to the Transformers film saga.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm also really loving this. Feels weird. There's two or three cringe moments but I genuinely enjoy songs like Don't Chase the Dead, Paint You With My Love and Infinite Darkness. The more I listen, the more I hear Mechanical Animals and Eat Me Drink Me. This is Manson really laying the Bowie worship on thick (which is not a complaint). Maybe Shooter can knock some sense into Manson and he can get clean and work on his lyrical content on the next one.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Paint You With My Love is the best song MM has ever put out, and Half-Way One Step Forward comes close, and Broken Needle is the best ballad he's made. Fuck it, this is the best Marilyn Manson album in my opinion. It's on par with Antichrist Superstar, but it's so different the comparison doesn't even work.

This is the most surprising thing I've heard in forever.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    That part definitely is "user friendly" levels of cringe, lol.
    Those lyrics ruin an otherwise half-decent track.
    Having never actually read the lyrics before (I just remembered whatever I paid attention to), I'd say "User Friendly" is FAR less cringe-y. I just learned that there is a "she said," right before "I'm not in love, but I'm gonna fuck you 'til somebody better comes along." That changes the whole vibe for me.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 09-11-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm really liking this album. It's solid from top to bottom. It's probably his best album since Eat Me, Drink Me in my personal opinion. It is very good and close to the Pale Emperor in composition but I actually like every song on this one. There's a few on TPE I'm not super crazy over (Devil Beneath My Feet, Birds of Hell Awaiting) so this edges out for me. The production, overall composition and the general thematical atmosphere on this album is great. The songs meld together in seamless transitions down the track list. I bought the Target version of the CD today and haven't checked out the acoustic versions of We Are Chaos and Broken Needle yet but I'll weigh in on them shortly.

My faves,

Red, Black and Blue
    We Are Chaos
    Don't Chase The Dead
    Solve Coagula
    Broken Needle
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 09-11-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    A thing I've decided: "Paint You With My Love" is the low point of the a-side. Hard pass.
    Well, it's a free country.

I think it's going in a completely different direction than I've seen him take, and I'd prefer a billion tracks that try ideas like this out over "scream scream scream :: whisper whisper :: tiny whisper :: scream scream scream" formulas. Maybe I'm over-praising it just as a counter reaction to how lame I thought it was going to be, but I really don't think so. This isn't even the sort of music I listen to at all anymore, and I can't deny it: it's good.

Even lyrically it's GREAT a lot of the time... "I am a needle, digging your groove, scratch you up and then I put you away. I'll never ever play you again (I'll never put you away)" is just great. I didn't think I'd be saying that a Marilyn Manson lyric would actually hit me in the gut in 2020. I honestly don't dislike a track on it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So far I've only heard the album once, but my first impression is I like it a lot. I honestly didn't know what to expect from this record, especially after hearing We Are Chaos which I wasn't a huge fan of. But luckily, that's the weakest point of the album. It feels like the direction he was going in on Pale Emperor mixed with some of the venom and viciousness he had on albums like Holy Wood. He's intense and brutal in a different way here. He's not relying on super loud, aggressive guitars or screaming at the top of his lungs some lyrics he thinks are shocking or provocative. And I love that. Don't get me wrong I love the insane brutality of his older records, but he tried to recapture that on HUD and Born Villain and it didn't really work. Plus, he sounds fucking fantastic here. His singing on the past few records has been hit or miss for me. Most of the time he sounded like a cat getting neutered. And while he can't reach the heights of what his voice was at the start of the career, he does well with what he can do. Like he's more in control of where his voice is now. There are some points of the record where he sounded so fucking viscous, something he hasn't sounded like in years. And I guess I'll be in the minority here and say I actually like the spoken word intro of Red Black and Blue. It really grabbed my attention. Something about his tone, his delivery made me stop and go...what the fuck is happening? (In a good way). And Paint You With my Love sounds more genuine than other similar songs he's done in the past. There are some questionable lyrics and he still loves driving certain lyrics into the ground with repetition, but it doesn't ruin the album.

These are just my first impressions, but I really dig the album. As others have said, he sounds more genuine here than he has in the past. He's more self aware here. It really does feel like he's let go of trying to be shocking, provocative, and scary. Again, he's found a sound that works for him for where he is at this point in his career. It honestly feels like the proper follow up we should've gotten to Pale Emperor. No, it doesn't match Antichrist or Mechanical Animals, but it's not trying to. It's just Manson making kick ass music and maybe actually having a good time while he's doing it. I can't wait to listen to it throughout the weekend and really sink my teeth into this record. Maybe my feelings will change, but I really like it after one listen.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The acoustic version of Broken Needle is one of the best thing I've ever heard from Manson, including the triptych.
    At this point he really should do an acoustic companion album. He doesn't even have to record new vocal tracks, just say the word to Shooter Jennings or whoever did this acoustic mix.