Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: PIG - and Other Raymond Watts Projects

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Fucking Lamentous Momentous. Missed that one as well. Anyone want to recommend the essential b sides? Feel like I'm probably missing others.

PIG's mid 90s output probably has the best "industrial rock" sound of any band. The mix between live drum sounds and drum machines, the amount of guitars, crooning and aggressive vocals, just the right amount of synths/bleeps/bloops, hard picked bass, samples used sparingly. The sounds design choices were perfect. And of course, the orchestral elements. Cinematic.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    that is the best pig era for sure.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    A Poke In The Eye...With a Sharp Stick
    A Stroll In The Pork
    Praise The Lard
    The Swining/Red Raw & Sore (two releases compiled)
    KMFDM vs Pig
    SCHAFT: Switchblade
    Sinsation
    Painiac Single
    Wrecked (2 versions with different tracks, Japan and US, both compiled on the 2017 release)
    Prime Evil
    No One Gets Out Of Her Alive
    Genuine American Monster
    Schwein: Schweinstein
    Thesickcity volume one
    Pigmata

If you've got the above, you've got 95% of his main output up to 2005 or so under the Pig name. I include Schaft and Schwein on there as his contributions really, really, REALLY have that Pig flavour,

I also recommend checking out his covers from
    A Gothic Industrial Tribute To The Smashing Pumpkins (1979, which is basically my favorite thing in the world)
    Wish You Were Queer: A Tribute To Ministry (Just Like You)
    Don't Blow Your Cover: A Tribute to KMFDM (Disobedience)
    Piggy: A Tribute to Nine Inch Nails (Head Like A Hole)

The man is a legend. I've got a great big Pig logo magnet on my fridge and a bunch of stickers here and there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you. Yeah I now have most of that (missing Schaft and Schwein). Prime Evil, Painiac and the Japan version of Wrecked were the last things I was missing. I have the NIN tribute as well. I think I listened to it maybe once. My burned cd version of red raw and sore was missing a few tracks as well.

Finally hearing the Japan version of Wrecked was wild. I was totally used to the US version with "no one" as track two. So odd hearing the different flow.

What about the disrupt, degrade single. Isn't there something unique on that?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    What about the disrupt, degrade single. Isn't there something unique on that?

1. "Disrupt Degrade & Devastate (PIG Remix)
    2. "Flesh Fest (One True Parker Remix)
    3. "The Only Good One's a Dead One (Live '99)
    4. "Everything (Live '99)

Some remixes and live stuff, but no B-sides per se.

And I almost forgot, there's also 3 albums by Sow, Anna Wildsmith (RIP), for whom Raymond Watts did a lot of the music: Je M'Aime, Sick and Dog.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    For rebirth single/EP stuff that doesn't get much chatter, check out the track pig-grinder (2013), Long in the Tooth EP (2015), and Compound Eye Sessions EP (2015).

Samples with purchase options (support this guy!) at:

https://metropolisrecords.bandcamp.c.../pig-grinder-2

https://www.beatport.com/release/lon...e-race/1532213

https://armalyte.bandcamp.com/album/...d-eye-sessions

Pig-grinder is actually a different mix of a Tweaker track, with Raymond adding succulent and gristly vocals. I'm craving some tangy, juicy, melt-in-your-mouth pork ribs now, just by thinking about it.

For Compound Eye, tracks 1 and 3 are the main Raymond vocal ones. Drugzilla from here made it onto The Gospel as a different version.

LITT is mostly remixes, which I don't listen to much in general. You can get to away with just listening to the title track (#1). I think I didn't like a lot of what's on there, but I haven't listened to much of it since release.

Getting these three little tease releases after a decade of no new PIG music was quite an experience. Not all of it is good, but there's really good stuff in there, and it was all still appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    And I almost forgot, there's also 3 albums by Sow, Anna Wildsmith (RIP), for whom Raymond Watts did a lot of the music: Je M'Aime, Sick and Dog.
    Can't forget about SOW! And Dog is incredible.
    Last edited by blassster; 08-11-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Lyrics from an upcoming and untitled track from the next EP, just spoken by Raymond in the dark.

Also, a track from Final Fantasy VII Advent Children sampled Cry Baby. Like every few years I remember, even though I only saw the movie when it was new, and but now I actually located the track.

Last edited by blassster; 08-13-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Incoming!

Baptise, Bless & Bleed EP

1 Baptise Bless & Bleed
    2 Speak Of Sin
    3 Tarantula
    4 Shooting Up Mercy
    5 Baptise Bless & Bleed (Extended)
    6 Speak Of Sin (Extended)
    7 Tarantula (Extended)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Another new one from The Merciless Light (Sept 23) just came out. Solid work. Keep on keepin' on Raymond!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If anyone is on the fence about the new album (The Merciless Light) don't hesitate to check it out. This is easily the best album Raymond has put out since "reforming" Pig. It feels like a bridge between Wrecked and Genuine American Monster. I wonder if that's because Raymond wrote a big chunk of this record on his own or maybe cause Steve White took on more? In any case, make sure to give this one a listen if you have ever been a fan.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/raymondwatts/sta...14771441557504

"Another fucking PIG anniversary … The Swining was released on this date in 1993 by Alfa Records in Japan.
    Look out for a remastered re-release together with Red Raw & Sore next year.
    #pig @theboyhyde #theswining @underworldlive"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Speaking of which, the reissue of The Swining/Red Raw & Sore with remastering by Jurgen Engler of Die Krupps fame is now available: https://cleopatrarecords.bandcamp.co...re-re-mastered

I haven't done extensive comparisons or any technical analysis, but as you'd expect, its slightly louder and generally sounds great - though even the 1993 original was pretty great (in contrast to more recent albums, which I find sound incredibly muddy...making me wonder if there's a 1990s Numan-like issue of people with major hearing loss signing off on mixes, but I digress).

Unfortunately, QC was not perfect and I have been hung up on a fairly noticeable pop at about 20-21 seconds into Rope. CDs are currently being shipped, so I'm assuming that's a lost cause. However, in hopes that the digital release might be salvaged, I dropped a note to Cleopatra. Much to my surprise, they responded same day and said they would look into a resolution. Fingers crossed...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    Speaking of which, the reissue of The Swining/Red Raw & Sore with remastering by Jurgen Engler of Die Krupps fame is now available: https://cleopatrarecords.bandcamp.co...re-re-mastered

I haven't done extensive comparisons or any technical analysis, but as you'd expect, its slightly louder and generally sounds great - though even the 1993 original was pretty great (in contrast to more recent albums, which I find sound incredibly muddy...making me wonder if there's a 1990s Numan-like issue of people with major hearing loss signing off on mixes, but I digress).

Unfortunately, QC was not perfect and I have been hung up on a fairly noticeable pop at about 20-21 seconds into Rope. CDs are currently being shipped, so I'm assuming that's a lost cause. However, in hopes that the digital release might be salvaged, I dropped a note to Cleopatra. Much to my surprise, they responded same day and said they would look into a resolution. Fingers crossed...
    Somehow missed this, and I'm fucking pissed. The vinyl is sold out. Still, good to know, ty for the info. Hope they fix that blip! Bought the CD anyway, still nice to have and to support Raymond.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    damn. missed that one.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Alexis Mincolla (3Teeth) hinted (on the sham) that he's contributing to the new PIG album.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So I'm comparing the tracks by opening them in Audacity/etc, taking some work to line up the tracks using the first sounds at the beginning of each one, and the timing is quite fucked up in the new version. The new versions run a little faster.

The timing for Wrecked is slightly different, but (for the 2 tracks I looked at just now) only suffers a tiny bit. Nothing like this new one.
    Last edited by blassster; 08-21-2023 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I hate 3teeth. Not interested in them working with watts at all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Somehow missed this, and I'm fucking pissed. The vinyl is sold out. Still, good to know, ty for the info. Hope they fix that blip! Bought the CD anyway, still nice to have and to support Raymond.
    Whoops, I realize I never updated with the response I got from Cleo about that apparent issue. Here's there response:

Our team has coordinated with the artist and it turns out this "glitch" has been present since the first pressing. Below is a direct message from the artist.

"it's on all the masters going all the way back through time! I think it's actually a weird distorted percussion thing that slipped through the mix in 1992 or whenever it was mixed! So it's always been there."

In learning this information, there will be no update to the audio. Nonetheless, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

...I think I almost would have preferred a "gee, that is a glitch but we don't have the [time/funds/inclination] to fix it" response to one that suggests the new master reveals previously-unheard detail in the recording like it's some sort of selling point. Either way, it will always jump out to me as sounding EXACTLY like the sort of digital glitch that has driven me crazy in other releases over the years. At least in contrast to many of those cases, I have two different prior releases without the new "revelation" to distract me

Separately, Cleo doesn't always make their entire inventory available on Bandcamp. If you're still in the market for the vinyl, there are nearly 50 left on their web store: https://cleorecs.com/store/shop/pig-...-double-vinyl/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't hate them, but the music (particularly after the first album) really doesn't do much for me. Largely devoid of hooks aside from their covers, and even then they can't stick the landing - an industrial metal cover of Ballroom Blitz should have been a slam dunk...

However Raymond always brings enough hooks for all to any party, so willing to remain hopeful that the collaboration won't be a net negative for the Pig catalog overall.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    did I miss some collaboration with Underworld? Why did he tag them in that tweet?

Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    https://twitter.com/raymondwatts/sta...14771441557504

"Another fucking PIG anniversary … The Swining was released on this date in 1993 by Alfa Records in Japan.
    Look out for a remastered re-release together with Red Raw & Sore next year.
    #pig @theboyhyde #theswining @underworldlive"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Karl Hyde played guitar on the album in addition to Steve White.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Remastered/expanded Sin Sex & Salvation on CD/vinyl/digital just announced by Armalye on Bandcamp.

Officially releases in January, but if you act quickly you might be able to get the digital now - they don't appear to have set the date correctly!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Instant purchase, but looks like they fixed date! Ah well.