Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead (SPOILERS)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    The best part of the finale is going to be the inevitable sneak peek at season 3. That's saying a lot, because I'm REALLY looking forward to this finale after that. I knew they would spice things up in an unexpected way instead of just set it up in a way that the comic book fans would predict it. The creators really know what they're doing in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkIcouldburn View Post
    Really loved this episode, but damn I cannot wait for the finale and next season. Spoiler: Rumor has it, Michonne finally shows up in the finale. Likely to save the survivors of this herd. I doubt we'll see the Prison next week, but damn that would make one hell of a final shot for the season.
    The second thing you mentioned is the one scene I'm REALLY hoping is in the finale. Not that anything else would be a disappointment, because I'm sure there'll be enough excitement to go around next week, but it seems like the perfect way to lead in to the next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh my fucking god what a great episode. i love this show so fucking much it pisses me off!!!!!

i love that a show about zombies can bring me to tears. next week is gonna be EPIC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICRAGE View Post

So even though Rick, Shane, Daryl, and Glenn were walking through the woods all day/night looking for the prisoner and didn't stumble upon a single zombie, we are supposed to accept that all of a sudden there's a horde of zombies just standing around waiting until the end of the episode to appear to give it a cliffhanger "oh shit" ending?
    They went into the woods, which is most likely off to one direction. There's no reason why the zombies couldn't have come from any other direction.
    Last edited by Mech; 03-12-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

I find that whenever any character opens their mouth everything they say is forced or cliched or maybe it's just bad writing. I don't mind when shows focus on developing their characters rather than having an action set-piece every week but when it's as bland and cliched as it has been on The Walking Dead I start to get rather irritated. They recently have been spicing it up with some zombie kills each week but it hasn't been anything exciting, except for the cracked head of that one zombie from the recent episode.

So even though Rick, Shane, Daryl, and Glenn were walking through the woods all day/night looking for the prisoner and didn't stumble upon a single zombie, we are supposed to accept that all of a sudden there's a horde of zombies just standing around waiting until the end of the episode to appear to give it a cliffhanger "oh shit" ending? This show is getting as bad as the recent Romero movies where a random zombie will just appear out of nowhere when the plot calls for it, even though it makes little sense in everything that has come before. I thought last weeks random silent walker that would rather surprise Dale than eat all them delicious cow guts was pretty awful writing but then we get this? Come on.

When the first season premiered I went ahead and got all the comics but haven't dived into them yet. Seeing how awful the show has gotten (some would say as early as the middle of the first season, and I wouldn't disagree) I'm wondering if I should even bother with the comics. Are they as bad as the show or are they worth the read? The reason I continue the watch the show even though each week I am bored by the horrible character development, unrealistic situations the characters get themselves into for the sake of drama/tension, etc. is that I believe the show has serious potential, which is proved in the first few episodes of the first season, and I'm waiting for it to get back to that level of quality. I am hoping the comics can hold me over until then and that is why I am asking for the opinions of people who have read them.

*As a side note, Hula, I quoted you several times but this isn't an attack on you and your opinions. You said some interesting things that helped me somewhat voice my concerns/issues with the show. I enjoy reading posts where people are excited about what happens and what might happen next and it makes me hopeful, but for now I am unable to look past all the shows flaws.

if it werent for the comics, there would be no show. So yes the comics are miles ahead of the show.

But this show is still good, I cant believe its so hard for people to be entertained these days. I guess it is not for everyone.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I almost gave up on this show but last week's and this week's episodes were really good. I don't know anything about the comics, so I can't make that comparison. But yes I'm back in it and eagerly awaiting the finale. Shit was tense!

Edit: My cat was looking at me like he was thinking 'what a retard'. Good sign when I'm enjoying something.
    Last edited by profane; 03-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My thoughts exactly. New favorite character.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Great character introduction. Onward to season three!

Also, all these people harping on Rick's ass need to STFU.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    THIS. My throat still hurts from going "OH SHIT! IT'S MICHONNE!" while my girlfriend was in the bathroom. :P
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 03-19-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Casting for Spoiler: Michonne was announced on tonight's Talking Dead.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1775091/

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Best episode of this series hands down. Im still high from the ep.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    The final shot over the hill was even cooler than I imagined. SO HYPED!

I'm kinda bummed we didn't get a preview for next season, but oh well. Still gonna be an incredible season. Now I need to finish the comics before I'm further in the show than I am in the books!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So after all the talk I've heard this season from some of you about wondering when they'll find the prison. Looks like they I'll find it next season. I always. Thought it will be filled with zombies but since they wanted to find a fortress, will this be it?

Excellent finale and really excited about the new character who I know nothing about but seems entirely badass!!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    So after all the talk I've heard this season from some of you about wondering when they'll find the prison. Looks like they I'll find it next season. I always. Thought it will be filled with zombies but since they wanted to find a fortress, will this be it?

Excellent finale and really excited about the new character who I know nothing about but seems entirely badass!!
    You have no idea. Have you considered reading the comics? I mean, I'll admit that there will be spoilers for the show, but any readers of the books can tell you that things have happened almost completely differently from the comic storyline, with the exception of a few major points. Even then, some of those are kinda mixed up to keep things at a different pace. I was on my toes the whole season.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

+

=

SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY omg

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Casting for Michonne was announced on tonight's Talking Dead.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1775091/
    Dude, you can stop it with the spoilers tag. BE HAPPY AND CELEBRATE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo
    SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY omg
    Am I the only one who pronounced her name wrong up until hearing it said on Talking Dead? Haha.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Hey smart guy - The CDC was never in the comics, so how would we assume that the zombie virus being airborne is what Jenner told Rick? Jenner doesn't even exist in the comic.
    :P

*ahem*

Something I did just learn however is that a pump-action shotgun CAN fire up to 9 rounds without reloading. I had to check 'cause I thought Herschel was WAAAAAY over what they could realistically hold but it turns out it was actually close enough, I guess. My bad!

Great episode finale, though...VERY excited about badass Andrea, Michonne, the prison, and the helicopter that was almost SURELY on its way to the Governor's compound somewhere very near the farm and the prison. The third season is going to be a REAL treat!

I wish Darabont was still around, though. I don't think the performances and some finer points of the stories would have been quite so ham-fisted as they've occasionally been since he left if those same episodes had still been under his guidance. But it's hilarious that now that he's gone they're advertising a four-peat of The Shawshank Redemption during the show, lol.

And the whole not-siphoning-all-remaining-gas-from-the-cars-on-the-highway thing and not-going-all-Dawn-of-the-Dead-remake-on-the-horde-of-walkers-and-mowing-them-down-with-the-R.V.-and-pick-up thing but using endless-accurate-headshots-at-a-distance-from-moving-vehicles-on-rough-terrain-instead stuff was all just completely ludicrous, but hey...it's just a T.V. show and still kicks ass anyway, I suppose.

:-\

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Meh. While I've enjoyed the latter half of this season MUCH more than the first half, it's still barely holding my interest. These characters could all die and I wouldn't care much at all. Too bad.

When does Breaking Bad start up again?

That said, SO GLAD THAT SHANE IS FUCKING DEAD!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I just started reading the comics on a CBR I downloaded, and I realized....I'm baaarely halfway through. I'm at issue #46. I'm so stoked to get back into reading, though. The digital version will have to do until the physical copies ship. No way in hell am I paying $14 in store when I can pay $8 something plus free shipping on Amazon.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Why must everyone be so bummed if things that happen on TV shows arnt very realistic? Especially zombie shows? Have people forgotten about dramatic effect? Have people lost their imaginations?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If Rick already knew that everyone was infected, why didn't he shoot Shane in the head like he did the guy in the bar? Was he leaving it up for Carl to see? Or what?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Because he wasn't 100% certain if you became a zombie from a bite alone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That makes sense. I think I may have to check out the comics.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbron View Post
    Meh. While I've enjoyed the latter half of this season MUCH more than the first half, it's still barely holding my interest. These characters could all die and I wouldn't care much at all. Too bad.
    I really don't know why, but I keep coming back to this show. Most of the characters in it are fucking idiotic, and it's totally predictable. I liked Rick's line from a couple episodes ago at Dale's eulogy, "And Dale would look at you... with that .. "DALE" look." Yeah, like, with that "FACE" he had, and those "EYEBALLS." Were the writers on vacation that week? Jesus Christ.

Then there's the finale, which spent plenty of time piling stupid on top of stupid. I don't mind slasher flick style zombie action where the characters constantly make boneheaded decisions, but the stage for this show was set with elements of plausibility and drama, which they have now shit all over.

When does Breaking Bad start up again?
    THIS.

That said, SO GLAD THAT SHANE IS FUCKING DEAD!
    Shane made a great bad guy. I would much rather they have killed off Rick's entire insanely annoying, vastly irrational family. Speaking of which, can I take a moment to say how much I seriously hate Lori. Bitch you had a special talk with Rick about how Shane was a murderer and you were scared of him, and now you're surprised and furious when he has to kill him in self defense!? PLEASE BE EATEN YESTERDAY. At least as a Zombie we wouldn't have to endure your stupid dissapproving looks in every fucking scene. Oh yeah, and you're a piss poor mother too. Every time you're in charge of the wonder cunt kid, he runs off into the woods to free zombies who eat cool people like Dale. I slap your face with my dick, Lori!

And yes, I'll be tuning in for season 3. shit.

/pointless rant

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Bitch you had a special talk with Rick about how Shane was a murderer and you were scared of him, and now you're surprised and furious when he has to kill him in self defense!? PLEASE BE EATEN YESTERDAY.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. That insufferable woman was all but outright telling Rick he had to kill Shane, what with her whole talk about how dangerous he was and that Rick should do everything he could to protect the family. Maybe those were not the exact words, but it was a full on *wink wink nudge nudge* talk, I clearly remember that. Fuck off Lori, really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    *As a side note, Hula, I quoted you several times but this isn't an attack on you and your opinions. You said some interesting things that helped me somewhat voice my concerns/issues with the show. I enjoy reading posts where people are excited about what happens and what might happen next and it makes me hopeful, but for now I am unable to look past all the shows flaws.
    No worries! You laid out a lot of very valid points that are kind of hard to ignore unless you're willing to suspend disbelief and even then there's only so much suspension a person can do before it gets to be too much.

One thing that annoyed me about the finale was how easily they threw away the lives of two inconsequential characters. Their deaths felt extremely cheap and needless; the writers basically killed off two of the only two characters it could afford to lose in the name of drama and in the end both deaths held little weight, particularly with how sudden they were and how quickly the scene moved on from them—think of how the camera moved from the dude in the van (nope, don't remember his name because he wasn't an important character) being torn to pieces, to Rick hopping down from the roof and killing zombies without any difficulty. True, they had that little moment with Beth and Otis's wife (don't remember her name either), but even that felt more like cheaply-created tension over whether or not a character we sort of cared about would get killed. Meh.

That was my only gripe with the episode, really. I've been able to put aside any narrative issues in general because while the show does fall into a lot of the same tropes as a zombie movie, for the most part they've done a decent job of avoiding the pitfalls long enough to make it work as a long-running series. While the finale didn't so much end on a cliffhanger, it did make me curious enough about Michonne to want to look her up—and to read the comics in the long period we'll have to wait for the third season to air.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    I would much rather they have killed off Rick's entire insanely annoying, vastly irrational family. Speaking of which, can I take a moment to say how much I seriously hate Lori. Bitch you had a special talk with Rick about how Shane was a murderer and you were scared of him, and now you're surprised and furious when he has to kill him in self defense!? PLEASE BE EATEN YESTERDAY. At least as a Zombie we wouldn't have to endure your stupid dissapproving looks in every fucking scene. Oh yeah, and you're a piss poor mother too. Every time you're in charge of the wonder cunt kid, he runs off into the woods to free zombies who eat cool people like Dale. I slap your face with my dick, Lori!
    This, so much this. Lori is one of the worst characters of all time. Don't know how she is in the comics, but I find it hard just to see her stupid face every episode. I did really enjoy the finale, except for the retardelly accurate headshots while driving in fucking circles in a god damn field, the last few minutes of the episode were fantastic. Haven't read the comics but I've heard enough that the final shot being of the prison got me pretty damn excited. Way more pumped for season 3 than I was for this season after the end of the first.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    What DID T-Dog do during the second season? A look into his private journals has been uncovered by io9.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    SEASON FINALE WAS AMAZING.

That said, I'm worried about how fast everything is happening. What are they going to do after the next season? They'll be one step ahead of the comics and that scares the shit out of me.

I don't want Kirkman's writing to be influenced by the TV series (Unless he adds Daryl to the comics).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burn. View Post
    SEASON FINALE WAS AMAZING.

That said, I'm worried about how fast everything is happening. What are they going to do after the next season? They'll be one step ahead of the comics and that scares the shit out of me.

I don't want Kirkman's writing to be influenced by the TV series (Unless he adds Daryl to the comics).
    Err... What? The comics are way past where the show is right now. At the pace the show is going, it won't catch up to the comics until season 5 or 6. Spoiler: We still have the prison, woodbury, the small part where they return to the farm, the long part traveling to Washington, and then the start of the community which still hasn't ended yet in the comics but would last at least 2 seasons on TV until they're where the comics are right now.
    Last edited by Zipfinator; 03-20-2012 at 11:12 PM.