Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: TAKE THE SHOT!! - The Photography Thread

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

TAKE THE SHOT!! - The Photography Thread

I'm not sure we have one of these, I went back a few pages... Anyway, tech-talk, shop-talk, methods and techniques.
    What platform do you shoot on?
    SLR? DSLR? Mini DSLR? Polaroid?
    Etc, and feel free to show any shots you're proud of!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Oh, and my Nikon has been sitting outside on a chair pointing straight up with the shutter open for about 25min now (55mm). About to go see if the results are any good!

EDIT: Looks cool! I'll post it when I have the proper cables tomorrow!

EDIT EDIT:
    Last edited by Fixer808; 12-27-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I blew the dust off my D90 after ignoring it for close to 6 months now, after not feeling the urge to even look at it.
    Mostly just garbage from my trip to the states in August, but there were a few nice photos in Utah and Arizona:

I feel like it's time I get motivated again, I've got a macro lens that I've never used and know next to nothing about decent post-processing.
    I'm really excited about getting back into it again and learning new things.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Looking for good resources and such for a newbie. I have doe experience and friends that i can call on but i figure any help can't hurt. I see this thread is dog shit old so feel free to ignore.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Oh man, I'm getting a new camera soon and I'm looking forward to taking photos again. After college (majored in photo- arts photo) I kind of had a "falling out" with photography, because I was using film but I'm getting damn tired of working in the darkroom. I might go back to film again but only after I get a scanner and a printer!! Until then, digital it is. I'm getting my hand back in the other arts, drawing and painting and even some short film ideas, so I'm feeling a draw back to photography.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I had a DSLR, a Nikon D3100. It was an entry level machine, and while I liked it, I found it too cumbersome, and security gave me a hard time at gigs saying I needed a press pass to use it. I recently bought a Canon G16 high end compact. I have owned G series cameras before and enjoyed using them. With the G16 I have all the manual controls available on an SLR but in a compact body, and...I can get it into gigs with no problems.

Anyway, I took a walk today and fired off a few shots and this is my favourite. It was shot in monochrome mode and is straight from the camera with no photo editing of any nature...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Here's a shot with my new camera of the fancy ass scotch tasting my friend put together a couple weeks ago.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    If you're using Yahoo! Weather in Philadelphia, depending on the weather, you might get one of my photos as a background.

Here's a couple of nuclear jet engines in a parking lot in Iowa.

(I'm on Flickr, so too should you be)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ^ Love the lightning shots on your Flickr, and the two urban decay type photos following them.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    As a child (80s) I was allowed to use something called "Ljubitel 2", see:
    http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Lubitel_2
    You had to put the film inside in dark room by remembering where to push etc, actually nice experience. :-) I am not sure if color films even existed (edit: FOR THIS camera, of course later used mostly Kodaks all the time, ISO 100 or 200).

Years passed by, I had just some extremely cheap "point and stick", and somewhere around 1995 I bought my first camera - SLR Canon, just simple one, with kit lens, but all was OK, I do not shoot much, maybe two films in a year is enough. :-)

Then digitals started to appear, but they sucked big time or were far beyond what I could afford, so nothing for me. Until... Fujifilm S6500fd arrived (I think it was S6000fd in USA) - excellent camera, even now, my family still uses it.

And finally, some 3 or 4 years ago, I decided DSLRs are good enough and carefully chose Sony A580, perfect chip, stabilization, features, tilting display, and bonus - I could not possibly go to Canon or Nikon, because everyone else had them. :-) Pentax was also an option. (There was also a gift, small Olympus XZ-1, which is also still very good, no need to buy new cameras all the time, the advances are negligible till some major discovery appears.)

With (D)SLR, there comes a new hobby - hours spent reading about lens and other things. :-) Nowadays I have almost all the time on my Sony just small 35mm (50mm equivalent) 1,4 lens, fixed lens should be always better than zoom, as for picture quality, and I like them, 50mm is a "standard" for our eye.

It is also helps very much to learn something, in my case the best books are by Roman Pihan, if you can read czech. :-)

I like to shoot nature mostly, it does not move much so there is no panic about that. ;-) I would never take my camera to a concert, I want to enjoy it and make the people with phones just go home and wake up... another topic.

But I still do not know much about photography and so, I do not want to spend too much time with that... though when I release some photos, they have to be in some human numbers (not "here is unfiltered unprocessed 5000 photos from the party, enjoy, pigs!"), carefully tagged including GPS... many hours. :-) I use Zoner Photo Studio, I always liked it and it has everything you could need, or more precisely, I could need. I do not use RAW... yes I know I know, but that is more time spent and my JPEGs look good enough for me, because I have good lens and camera. :-p (e.g. shooting JPG I can use HDR mode which is sometimes handy - it takes three images and makes HDR for me so no clipping or lost shadows)

Sony DSLR A580 is discontinued long time ago, and I think it was maybe the last Sony DSLR? Sony is not afraid to try new things, so they have that translucent mirrors now or whatever... and I really really wanted optical viewfinder.

An example, proof that I know nothing: https://goo.gl/1k2z2u. Sorry if that was too long. :-)

Edit: I should add - my father was developing film and even color (!) photos here at home, all that chemicals and red green blue lights... you got to have a hobby in that era. :-) So that must have been some influence for me. And I still like to think before taking picture, making crops later is kinda cheap for me.

Edit 2: Recently I had to stop using Picasa web albums. It automatically "enhanced" uploaded photos (hey, if I wanted oversaturated shit, I would do that myself), and I would also like to slowly phase out of using anything Google related, and Picasa future is big unknown too. (You can turn this off only if you have Google+ account and I will never have, or using years old Picasa software but I will never install Google sw on my system...) So Zonerama it is for me now (yes it is related to Zoner Photo Studio:-).

PS: Do not forget to use flash in front of windows, especially in dark rooms! :-) Automatic all the way.

Last edit I promise: Battery life. Going to the 4 day trip linked above, I knew I do not have to take charger with be, one less thing to worry about. And do not forget to buy polarization filter, or Sky/UV at least. And bigger lens does not mean better pictures.
    Last edited by Substance242; 08-30-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    This is my newly opened Flickr account, all photos taken with a Canon G16 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/137634454@N08/