Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Max: Fury Road

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mad Max: Fury Road

I'm so fucking ready for this. The trailers were absolutely awesome, now the movie's getting crazy good reviews, some of the reviewers calling it one of the best action movie ever made. Thursday can't get soon enough.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Watched all three movies over the course of this week with my lady, who hadn't seen them since she was a kid and loved them all over again. We're both psyched. It's so good to hear that it's a worthy follow-up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I haven't seen any of the previous movies, but I love Tom Hardy and this looks awesome. Any idea if I'll have had to have seen the other three films to understand this one, or is this is a reboot?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    I haven't seen any of the previous movies, but I love Tom Hardy and this looks awesome. Any idea if I'll have had to have seen the other three films to understand this one, or is this is a reboot?
    From what I understand ... you dont need to know the previous movies.

I would assume there might be nods here and there but it seems like the Interceptor is the only thing from those other movies.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    So.

STOKED.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    it does look fairly dope

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I wasn't sure what to think from the trailers, but the reviews got me really excited.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Currently at 99% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    It takes a lot to get me to go to a theater these days.

...and I'm driving the fuck out to the suburbs for this one. Can't believe it's here already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This just opened here in Australia today and all I can say is believe the hype!

In fact I’ll go so far to say it’s the best action/blockbuster film I’ve ever seen. The music, characters, costumes and little details of this world are so well done. And the action sequences are easily the most unique and well shot of any film in recent memory.

Just wow!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    another article about the ridiculousness of MRAs.

my excitement level for this movie just got bumped up even higher, so it is currently ridiculous.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm definitely going to see this but in a few weeks as I'm now currently doing my Cannes Marathon as the festival just started yesterday.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    the action scenes are out of this world. I don't think, second part of the movie is as good as the first one, but my god! go see this just for the action sequences because I guarantee you, you haven't seen anything better than this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Interesting video of Bill Nye and Neil Degrasse Tyson being interviewed about Mad Max.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Richard Roeper LOVES it.

Dean Richards of Chicago's WGN has been saying it is so totally awesome he can't describe how awesome it is, yet, until sometime next week when he's finally allowed to review it on TV.

I don't go to the theater (and sit among kicking children and texting assholes) often, but I will make an exception for this.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-14-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Seeing this Saturday afternoon at the first time our work schedules would allow it....man I wanna see this shit yesterday.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Short review: Great fucking movie. The cinematography, the acting, the characters, the action, the sets, the dusty-desert-storm-aesthetic...fantastic. I'll have to see this again for sure.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    best movie in years, the second half gets a bit stale but the movie as a whole is an ultimative ride. Charlize Theron is killing it, Riley Keough looks sassy as fuck and Hardy is a great anti-hero although I wish he would have been more prominent in the movie.

The soundtrack is really eerie and does the movie well. And like everybody I can not praise the action sequences more! the first road-rage and the sandstorm are among the most stunning things I have seen in cinema these days. I really hope they do some more, albeit a bit shorter 10-20 minutes maybe.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Hardy is a great anti-hero although I wish he would have been more prominent in the movie.
    Well this kind of worries me. :/

I get the feeling Max is more like a satellite in this movie.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 05-15-2015 at 03:18 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    This is a movie that showed me what is so great about action movies. I never really liked movies like Fast and Furious and this kind of mind numbing action pieces.
    This is mind numbing action piece done right. I'm honestly saying that action scenes in this movie are outdoing Matrix in some parts. And not necesarily just the big chase sequences, even just the little one on one fights are so fucking good. It is thrilling, beautifully shot and you know what is going on, this is so amazingly directed. It is insane. But once you understand what kind of a world you are in, you will not want to come back.
    There are some pacing problems in second part of the movie, but it's nothing in comparison how fucking thrilling this movie is. Yeah, I could use a bit more Max too, but I would say this movie don't really have one main protagonist, some reviewers said the main character is Furiosa and it might be, but I thought it was more of a combine effort.

Just go fucking see it, I guarantee you will enjoy it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Well this kind of worries me. :/

I get the feeling Max is more like a satellite in this movie.
    No, don't worry too much. You might feel the same as me, but he has some good screen time still and is basically the one who drives the story but has very sparse dialogue indeed. I would have wished to see him more in solo scenes. He is set up as very mysterious, overseeing all the things happening in the movie. Yet Theron is the character that is in the focus the most and very compelling.

I have to agree that the fight choreography is top notch as well. Nothing groundbreaking but it truly is the direction of Miller to make it so enjoyable. You can always see what is going on and who is against whom. So my only complaint would still be that it goes on for a bit too long as stated above.

What I really like about this movie is that it feels real although taking place in an unreal world. Unlike with the Avengers who are gods set in an everyday world, the action in Mad Max is over the top but believable because of the whole settings. It's gritty and fun and probably alot of practical effects went into this. Money well spent.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Yesterday I went for my lunch break and a big truck had this on the back from filming -

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This movie has a flaming guitar.

Gonna see it soon. I have to. It has a flaming guitar.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I can't get this movie out of my mind. The more I think about it, the better it gets. Second screening here I come.

Also this is one the best trailers ever made. Some of the sound effects have very NIN feel to it

Last edited by telee.kom; 05-15-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Saw this a few days ago at a screening. I was so touched by the quality of this film I was a teary eyed baby in the lobby.

I'm a youngin so I had never heard of Mad Max at all.

The lengths this film goes to make the audience feel completely invested is so inspiring. I also found myself being able to relate to the story in a way I usually reserve as impossible b/c action films are so dude centric. This movie isn't feminist b/c it has "bad ass" female characters, it is because the film truly acknowledges who might have the best story with the highest stakes/ danger within this universe and it explores that aspect as well as it can for the most part imo while being honest about how terrifying it can be to be a woman.

I am speechless on the action, effects/ music front tbh. Everyone see this movie.

/ I know some people find hype off putting but I saw it before most reviews rolled out and had no idea what this movie was, and I was happy to see that most critics just agreed with my conclusion, which is that this movie is fucking incredible.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I loved nearly every minute of the film, it was big, cheesy, heartfelt, surprisingly down to earth for a film that looks like a heavy metal album cover dealing with some pretty brutal themes. Best action film I've seen since Dredd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This movie was awesome. I don't comment on ETS as often as I used to, but that needed to be said.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I gladly contributed my ten bucks to a strong Friday opening. Hoping it crushes at the box office, as it has already dominated critics' columns and won over fans like myself. Well done to all involved, you made a compelling visual feast of a movie pulsating with brains and heart.
    Last edited by botley; 05-16-2015 at 08:50 PM.