Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like what I'm hearing about this, so far. Especially it being classic Tarantino including the description of the dialogue. I really cannot wait to see this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw the 70mm "Roadshow" version of this last night (11pm showing on a Sunday) and it was nearly packed. It comes with a delightful program printed on high-quality paper. A lovely memento. The overture and intermission were greatly appreciated as well.

I think The Hateful Eight might've been the most fun I've had at the movies in 2015. There's such a great, uniquely Tarantino-esque high that comes from seeing his movies for the 1st time in a theater: the verbal parrying, odd line readings, and punchlines are perfectly hyper-real & the bloody payoffs are thrilling, hilarious, and shocking all at the same time – especially with an audience. In other words, I haven't quite felt all those things since seeing Django Unchained on Christmas a few years ago.

And Walt Goggins' performance in this makes me want to start watching Justified. But the whole cast is great. It's amazing how well a movie with 8 leads somehow works.
    Last edited by Deadpool; 01-04-2016 at 12:33 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just came back from the 70mm screening and man, it's right now the best film of 2015 for me. Definitely one of the finest westerns I had ever seen and it has to be seen in that format. I'll divulge more into later tonight when I finish my review.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    going to see the 70mm tomorrow and i cant wait. i caught the force awakens today and tomorrow, Tarantino. great one two punch.

these regal reclining seat theaters are pretty pimp too, can't wait.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Here is my full review: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2015/1...ful-eight.html

Right now, it's the best film of 2015 for me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just saw it. Hated it. Pointless Tarantino mastrubation... I say this as someone who loves pretty much everything he made. Also, Spoiler: having the only female character there to serve as nothing but every guy's punching bag, from start to finish was kinda disturbing.
    Last edited by Nyx; 12-29-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I saw the roadshow version and by the end of it I think I was just tired of sitting for 3 hours, not looking forward to the hour and a half drive back home, and a bit overwhelmed by everything I had just seen.

But, as is the case every time I see a Tarantino film the first time, the next day I couldn't stop thinking about the movie! I'm also somewhat obsessed with listening to the score. By far, it's probably the slowest of Tarantino's films and I think it may end up more underrated than Jackie Brown, but the character development was pretty amazing. I wasn't sure who I was rooting for by the end of it.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I thought it was amazing. Absolutely the best new movie I've seen this year. I didn't actually intend to see it, I went into town to buy a bunch of eurorack modules, but the store was closed because it was new years.... Maybe I should have thought about that and called instead.

Anyway, I said screw it and went to see the movie by myself, and I had a blast. During the scene where Spoiler: Samuel L Jackson tells the confederate colonel the story about how he tormented and murdered his son, I completely lost it and couldn't stop laughing hysterically. I was the only one in the theater who thought it was hilarious though, and I heard a woman across the aisle whisper "this is sick and fucked up... What the hell is that guy laughing about?" Which made me break out laughing anew.

Ah, good times. Sometimes going to the movies by yourself is really entertaining. I can't wait to see this again. Absolutely brilliant. I think this might be my favorite movie that Tarantino has made.

A question though... maybe my math is fuzzy, but I thought there were nine people in there? OB, Chris, Marquis Warren, John Ruth, Daisy, Oswaldo (Tim Roth was so awesome in this), Joe, the General, and Bob. Why was it called the Hateful Eight?

Actually, Spoiler: if you count the guy hiding under the floorboards, Jody, it's ten
    Maybe I'm missing something here...
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-01-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I thought it was amazing. Absolutely the best new movie I've seen this year. I didn't actually intend to see it, I went into town to buy a bunch of eurorack modules, but the store was closed because it was new years.... Maybe I should have thought about that and called instead.

Anyway, I said screw it and went to see the movie by myself, and I had a blast. During the scene where Spoiler: Samuel L Jackson tells the confederate colonel the story about how he tormented and murdered his son, I completely lost it and couldn't stop laughing hysterically. I was the only one in the theater who thought it was hilarious though, and I heard a woman across the aisle whisper "this is sick and fucked up... What the hell is that guy laughing about?" Which made me break out laughing anew.

Ah, good times. Sometimes going to the movies by yourself is really entertaining. I can't wait to see this again. Absolutely brilliant. I think this might be my favorite movie that Tarantino has made.

A question though... maybe my math is fuzzy, but I thought there were nine people in there? OB, Chris, Marquis Warren, John Ruth, Daisy, Oswaldo (Tim Roth was so awesome in this), Joe, the General, and Bob. Why was it called the Hateful Eight?

Actually, Spoiler: if you count the guy hiding under the floorboards, Jody, it's ten
    Maybe I'm missing something here...
    At the 70mm screening presentation that I went to, the whole theater were laughing at that scene with Samuel L. Jackson.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I think I figured out why it's EIGHT though... after thinking about it for a bit, and after doing so I feel a little bit dense.

The only characters in the film that have no scenes of exposition or backstory of any real import are Spoiler: OB and Daisy's brother. They don't count.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    here's a poster that was released.

my wife and i asked each other the same question after leaving though.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 01-01-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    At the 70mm screening presentation that I went to, the whole theater were laughing at that scene with Samuel L. Jackson.
    same here. and to NYx...WRONG WRONG WRONG

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    the road show is out still in a bunch of places. try to catch it if you can, it really makes the movie much stronger. a lot of the theaters showing it are the new fancy recliners ones too which spaces everyone out. overall, i really enjoyed seeing the 70mm.

edit: just bought myself a pair for thursday which is the last day i see it playing in 70mm in my area. i couldn't resist.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 01-04-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I saw this with my wife last night. She loved it. I wanted to love it but something just felt off. I think it's just that I hate having every character I like getting killed in most of Tarantino's films. Don't get me wrong, as a huge fan of Tarantino, I really enjoyed it and I think I'll just have to watch it again since it just might be a grower for me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This movie was fantastic! I thought it was just as good as Django Unchained and Inglorious Basterds, although a bit different too because of the way it plays out. I don't think there's been a Quentin Tarantino movie where it exclusively takes place in a single isolated location. It actually reminded me a lot of Reservoir Dogs in that respect. All of the characters were awesome, the movie is nearly three hours long but it flows so well you'd never know it, and holy shit, Samuel L. Jackson shines in this movie. Everyone else is fantastic but his character takes the cake. Hopefully he gets some Oscar attention.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    just saw it a second time and the imagery really set in for me this time. really incredibly shot. i feel like i enjoyed the 70mm on a new level knowing what to expect from the story.

2 things -

1. the shot at the end where warren is on the bed and mannix is in the chair and both of their faces are in focus is an amazing shot. you can see the out of focus background between them and the blur between the faces really stylizes it.

2. what happened to the cat? lol

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Saw this today. Went home and took a nap, had dreams about blood. Can't be a coincidence.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Is this a catch all Tarantino thread? I don't want to start a new thread about QT, but I'm interested in hearing what rank people would put his movies in from best to worst.
    Well, his original "8" anyway... since Hateful 8 is technically being deemed his 8th film, and Kill Bill being considered 1 film, what would everyone's list look like?

I'll take a stab to get the ball rolling...

1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. The Hateful Eight
    4. Django Unchained
    5. Kill Bill
    6. Jackie Brown
    7. TIE -Deathproof*
    7. TIE - Inglorious Basterds*

* To me, these 2 movies are on the same level. I can't really rank one higher than the other. I just can't stand both of them. I'm probably going to get a lot of backlash for putting Basterds on the same level (the bottom) as Deathproof, but that movie is just so incredibly over-rated and it is in no way his best work.

Here's what actually inspired me to bring this topic up. These guys duked it out to rank the films, and I cannot disagree more with how they ended up ranking them.

ALSO:

During the scene where Spoiler: Samuel L Jackson tells the confederate colonel the story about how he tormented and murdered his son, I completely lost it and couldn't stop laughing hysterically. I was the only one in the theater who thought it was hilarious though, and I heard a woman across the aisle whisper "this is sick and fucked up... What the hell is that guy laughing about?" Which made me break out laughing anew.
    I honestly don't see what the big deal with that scene was. That woman is apparently not alone in her disgust... I thought that scene was pretty damn tame, it's nothing out of the ordinary when watching a QT film anyway. I didn't find any offense to it what-so-ever, so maybe that shows that I've been pretty desensitized? But that scene was nothing to take offense to...

The reason I bring the part up about that woman not being alone, is a friend of mine wrote the other day on Facebook that he was so glad that screener season is here so he can catch up on all the newest and hottest movies in theaters right now, and then someone responded with... and... I'm going to go back and find the exact quote because this is hilarious in itself...

"worst movie since django! nobody wants to see 55 year old samuel in a Spoiler: sex scene! especially if its with a dude! that was more offensive than caligula"
    After that... he followed up his comment with another one:

it was better than django but that one scene was so offensive it ruined the whole movie that was a piece of shit regardless
    lol... is this person on serious drugs??? Like I said... maybe I've just become desensitized to what I find offensive, but that scene was NOTHING to get riled up about. NOTHING.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 01-08-2016 at 03:48 AM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I actually think Death Proof is one of the most underrated movies ever. I thought it was great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I actually think Death Proof is one of the most underrated movies ever. I thought it was great.
    I also really enjoyed it. Never understood the real hate it got. Greatest car chase ever.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I loved Death Proof.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    I also really enjoyed it. Never understood the real hate it got. Greatest car chase ever.
    And IB at the bottom of the list? Below Django? lol. k.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thought I'd join in with the Death Proof love as well. Probably my favorite Tarantino movie, even though I wouldn't consider it his best.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet, but will soon. My list looks like this at the moment...

Inglorious Basterds
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    Death Proof
    Reservoir Dogs
    Kill Bill
    Django Unchained

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The insanely adorable yet fierce Zoë Bell makes everything better!
    She pretty much steals Death Proof in more ways than one (though I love seeing Kurt Russell hilariously emasculated in the 2nd half of that movie, almost playing the opposite of John Ruth). I was so glad to see her in "Hateful Eight" with a speaking role.

If you guys haven't yet watched this director's roundtable (feat. Tarantino, Ridley Scott, etc), the whole thing is great, but to skip to the 1 hour mark if you want a heart-melting anecdote about Ms. Bell (which totally explains QT's loyalty to her).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    And IB at the bottom of the list? Below Django? lol. k.
    Not in my book, no. I liked IB much better than Django. I think you confused another person's post and mine.
    Last edited by artdeco; 01-08-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    Not in my book, no. I liked IB much better than Django. I think you confused another person's post and mine.
    Was just agreeing with ya...but quoted you instead because...reasons. Confusing now that I look at it lol. My bad.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:12 PM.