"Hoax"

bonus track
    "The Lakes"

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Bon Iver is on it, and Aaron Dessner from The National co wrote like, the whole thing so this has GOAT taylor record written all over it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Bon Iver is on it, and Aaron Dessner from The National co wrote like, the whole thing so this has GOAT taylor record written all over it.
    but like...i actually wanna hear her do atmospheric black metal. let's face it, though, carly rae jepsen would be more likely to do that

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Next Chicks record will probably sound like it. Bleh!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    but like...i actually wanna hear her do atmospheric black metal. let's face it, though, carly rae jepsen would be more likely to do that
    Well Carly at least has fans in the Swans camp.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Damn this is pretty fucking good? Sounds mature, doesn’t sound forced, and her voice totally works with The Nationals sound.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I’m looking forward to learning the main singles off by heart from unintended car radio listening sessions.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    This is her best work by miles. Holy fuck this is so good. And exile? Jesus

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Enjoying this so far. It's quiet, reflective and doesn't contain any obnoxious plastic pop singles like her other records usually try to squeeze in.

Is the kind of music she wants to be doing probably? This feels like when a director is allowed to do their passion project after doing a major blockbuster for the studio ... I.E. her 2019 album with it's insane marketing roll out.

EDIT: Mirrorball and This is Me Trying are standouts so far.

EDIT EDIT: Richard is right, her voice does really work with that National sound. Uh oh. Am I going to buy one of the different versions of the vinyl now?
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 07-24-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    EDIT: Mirrorball and This is Me Trying are standouts so far.
    Ironically Mirrorball is the only track that didn't do anything for me on the record

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    EDIT EDIT: Richard is right, her voice does really work with that National sound. Uh oh. Am I going to buy one of the different versions of the vinyl now?
    I got the gold "real" album cover version, but the turquoise "in the weeds" version is so pretty.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Ironically Mirrorball is the only track that didn't do anything for me on the record
    It's melody is more obvious, but I liked the production a lot. Though I kind of laughed when she did the Justin Vernon vocal melody hiccup on "Epiphany."

I got the gold "real" album cover version, but the turquoise "in the weeds" version is so pretty.
    I've spent too much on records lately, but I'd grab the "running like water" or "clandestine meetings" version if I jumped on any.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Woke up, put it on again and it all still sticks. I'm very stoked for Taylor for seemingly finally getting to make the album she's been wanting to make for a while.

I'll take a whole album of Mirrorball too. Never expected to hear Taylor do a 90s shoegaze dreampop track but here we are.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I wasn't interested in Taylor until I heard "Style" which I think is maybe one of the best pop songs I've ever heard. The rest of 1989 was pretty strong as well, barring "Shake it Off" and "Bad Blood" which are both songs that I hate with a passion. I loved "Delicate" from Reputation, as well as the title track from Lover but I still wasn't 100% on board because I felt like her albums weren't consistent enough for me.

This album though? Is wonderful from start to finish. I've listened to it twice now and I haven't found one single song that I don't like. I'm really, really impressed. Lots of her clever wordplay without any of the cheesiness that she sometimes falls into, charming storytelling and a sound that is very well suited to her voice. It sounds sincere, thoughtful and timeless.

The world might be going to hell, but the ladies are coming in strong with the music releases in 2020. Between this, and the records from Hayley Williams, Pheobe Bridgers and Fiona Apple I being blessed in an otherwise shitty season.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    the music sounds interesting, but I can't stand her style of singing... her voice bothers me. There's some good moments on this, which I didn't expect to say. I actually really like the song "epiphany."

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I wonder if the stores knew it was coming? I mean HDTracks just sent me an email saying "here's the new album and also 20% off!"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I wonder if the stores knew it was coming? I mean HDTracks just sent me an email saying "here's the new album and also 20% off!"
    I'm not sure but I wonder that too, because I'm on a bunch of pop boards/subreddits and there was some frustration with how Spotify had it up first and the other streaming services took a little longer to get it up. So i'm not sure if it was a supposed to be a surprise release or if there was just confusion about how it was supposed to drop/

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    I'm not sure but I wonder that too, because I'm on a bunch of pop boards/subreddits and there was some frustration with how Spotify had it up first and the other streaming services took a little longer to get it up. So i'm not sure if it was a supposed to be a surprise release or if there was just confusion about how it was supposed to drop/
    AmazonMusic has a TuneCore turnaround of 1-3 business days
    Spotify is 5 business days
    iTunes/Apple Music is 5 full days
    Google Play is 1-2 weeks

She could have theoretically turned the album in as late as the Monday of the week it was released.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

evermore out at midnight

1. "Willow"
    2. "Champagne Problems"
    3. "Gold Rush"
    4. "'Tis the Damn Season"
    5. "Tolerate It"
    6. "No Body, No Crime" (featuring Haim)
    7. "Happiness"
    8. "Dorothea"
    9. "Coney Island" (featuring the National)
    10. "Ivy"
    11. "Cowboy Like Me"
    12. "Long Story Short"
    13. "Marjorie"
    14. "Closure"
    15. "Evermore" (featuring Bon Iver)

Deluxe
    16. "Right Where You Left Me"
    17. "It's Time to Go"

Shits gonna slap guys

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not inaccurate.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Not inaccurate.

Translation: "Taylor Swift shouldn't write music in the style that I prefer."

I mean she's been writing the folklore style stuff literally since the first record. She's not taking any money or work away from anyone just by writing music.

EDIT: The more I think about this inaccurate gatekeepy bitter ass tweet the more this could apply to any other bitter inaccurate gatekeepy ass music related comment.

Example inaccurate gatekeepy bitter ass comment:

"T R**nor and A R**s cosplaying film composers while the real film composers are destitute and unable to work/survive."
    Last edited by tony.parente; 12-10-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Folklore is far away the best thing TSwift has ever done, and I am for one am super fucking excited to be getting a second half to this album cycle.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Example inaccurate gatekeepy bitter ass comment:

"T R**nor and A R**s cosplaying film composers while the real film composers are destitute and unable to work/survive."
    When a famous artist adapts your genre, shouldn't that raise awareness and outside interest for your style instead of making you unemployed? I think it's nothing to fear, especially not for folk/indie artists.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post
    When a famous artist adapts your genre, shouldn't that raise awareness and outside interest for your style instead of making you unemployed? I think it's nothing to fear, especially not for folk/indie artists.
    High tide raises all ships. Unless you're a bitter, angry ship who punches holes in its own sails out of spite.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    People seem to forget that Taylor was doing country music when she started out, before she switched to mainstream pop. This is a lot more like a return to form, honestly.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Folklore is far away the best thing TSwift has ever done, and I am for one am super fucking excited to be getting a second half to this album cycle.
    This. If you had told me six months ago that one of my favorite albums of the year would be a Taylor Swift record, I would have laughed my ass off. And yet, here we are. Now there's a possibility that she could wind up releasing TWO of my favorite albums of the year. We'll find out in a matter of hours.

2020, you're one crazy goddamn son of a bitch.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm about halfway through my first listen. Yup... this is great.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Damn this one might be even better than Folklore. Fuck it gurl, go get you a trilogy.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Not inaccurate.

Zola needs to work harder to make an album that doesn't put me to sleep.

Anyway, I like this and think it's great she named her lead single after my dog.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)