234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    "any commentary on this matter will be done in the appropriate venue"

What, a Klan meeting?
    LOL LOL

At Wilson's early retirement party.

Coverage of the protest in Chicago. Very uneventful, police presence but it's a bunch of white people and the police are just standing there not letting the protesters go in certain directions so that the protesters don't block certain traffic. Some of the police officers are on bicycles, heh. Oh, here's a little sign saying "KILLER PIGS MUST PAY" -- keep it classy, Chicago.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-24-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Man, this is just really sad to see this place fall apart like this.

Multiple buildings burning down (I lost count now). A news crew is trapped in one. Fire fighters are pulling out of another one because of gun fire. Several police positions being overwhelmed and requesting National Guard. A group of 50+ are going from store to store and looting them. Lots of gun fire.

and it's definitely not going to start getting better anytime soon.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    damn, one of the ustream feeds I linked to just got his phone stolen while the feed was running.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The one I was watching got kinda weird. You heard some shots, he was then running for quite a while, and then his feed cut out.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Ohhhh awesome!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Buildings are on fire but why does one have to be a Little Caesar's? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Fractured orbital, my eye.
    That came from the media, I don't recall that ever coming from anyone official. Its the typical pulling money from mikes grave that they like to do so much.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Found it!!
    I'm betting this is incomplete, but there it is

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/r...ision-27147223 ( I can confirm that the Oakland protest completely shut down the freeway)
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 11-24-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    What the FUCK is the logic behind burning down the public storage? Yes, let's destroy the belongings of all the neighbors... might as well firebomb their houses as well...

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

Our local news showed this little gem on live TV.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/polic...ngs-1416874955

This might not show up without a subscription, so I'll quote it:

Police Rarely Criminally Charged for On-Duty Shootings
    Research Shows 41 Officers Were Charged With Murder or Manslaughter for On-Duty Shootings Over 7 Years

By ZUSHA ELINSON And JOE PALAZZOLO
    Nov. 24, 2014 7:22 p.m. ET

Police are rarely charged criminally for on-duty shootings, but law-enforcement officials and critics differ on whether this should be the case.

New research by a Bowling Green State University criminologist shows that 41 officers in the U.S. were charged with either murder or manslaughter in connection with on-duty shootings over a seven-year period ending in 2011. Over that same period, the Federal Bureau of Investigation reported 2,718 justified homicides by law enforcement, an incomplete count, according to experts.

“It’s very rare that an officer gets charged with a homicide offense resulting from their on-duty conduct even though people are killed on a fairly regular basis,” said Philip Stinson, an assistant professor of criminal justice at Bowling Green who received a federal grant to study arrests of police officers. The study covers more than 6,700 cases of police officers arrested for any crime across all states.

Late Monday, St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch announced that a grand jury declined to indict police officer Darren Wilson in the Aug. 9 shooting of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson.

Police say there is a reason so few officers are charged.

“The reason is because it’s usually justified,” said William Johnson, executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations. “Basically, that the officer acted in self-defense or the defense of another person.”

But critics say there are harms if officers aren’t charged when there is sufficient evidence.

“It’s one factor that enters into the perception of African Americans that the police are not on their side,” said Samuel Walker, a professor emeritus of criminal justice at University of Nebraska. “Shootings are really the tip of that iceberg, and all of that is where the anger came from in Ferguson.”

When police officers are charged, they are convicted at a lower rate than people in the general populace, according to a study by the Cato Institute.

The think tank’s researchers tracked allegations of misconduct involving nearly 11,000 police officers in the U.S. from April 2009 through December 2010. They found that 3,238 of those cases resulted in criminal charges, and 1,063—or 33% of those charged criminally—resulted in convictions. In felony cases against the general public in 2009 in the country’s 75 largest counties, 66% were convicted, according to the Justice Department’s research arm, the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

“Juries and trial court judges are seemingly reluctant to convict in criminal court an officer whose crimes rose out of an on-duty incident that occurred as part of their job,” said Dr. Stinson, whose research also shows lower conviction rates for police officers.

Particularly in police shootings, juries tend to side with officers who argue self-defense, said Maki Haberfeld, professor and chairwoman of the Department of Law, Police Science and Criminal Justice Administration at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York.

“Use of force doesn’t look pretty when people look at it, especially deadly use of force,” said Dr. Haberfeld. “But when you sit down as a jury and you are presented step by step with what happened, then any reasonable person understands that officer probably demonstrated a lot of restraint before pulling the trigger on the gun.”

There is no authoritative tally of police shootings or findings of excessive force, criminal justice experts said. Federal statistics on justifiable homicides by police, or sanctioned killings, are incomplete. States aren’t required to report such information to the FBI, and some, including New York, report none at all. The FBI data show an average of 393 justifiable homicides a year between 2005 and 2010.

In the aftermath of the police beating of Rodney King in 1991 and the subsequent Los Angeles riots a year later, Congress directed the attorney general to collect data on excessive force by police and publish annual statistics, as part of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. But, again, a lack of participation by state and local agencies has hobbled efforts.

The Bureau of Justice Statistics found that large state and local law-enforcement agencies received more than 26,000 complaints about police use of force in 2002, the most recent year studied.

The sample represented about 5% of all police departments. About a third of the complaints of excessive force were thrown out due to insufficient evidence. Another 25% were deemed unfounded, and 23% resulted in exonerations, meaning an incident occurred but the officer’s action was pronounced lawful. Eight percent of the complaints led to disciplinary action.

A Justice Department survey of roughly 60,000 people given in 2008 found that less than 2% of those who reported contact with police in the previous year said they had force used or threatened against them. A majority of those said they felt it was excessive.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    even better, they broke a Fox News camera

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ferguson-...a-live-on-air/

I'm kinda ok with the attacks on big media

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    even better, they broke a Fox News camera

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ferguson-...a-live-on-air/

I'm kinda ok with the attacks on big media
    Right on, brother. [high five]

Meanwhile, my husband is bitching that this is all happening because of the Man oppressing the People. I think he's turning into John Sinclair.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Is the cop stupid as fucking shit, or is that just the worst transcription of a testimony of all time?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Is the cop stupid as fucking shit, or is that just the worst transcription of a testimony of all time?
    That's what all court-type transcripts look like. They're also usually really fucking boring. This one was actually really interesting as far as transcripts go.

The one who looks the dumbest is the idiot asking the questions.

You want loads of fun in a transcript, go read Paula Deen's deposition transcript oooo lordy that's mah favorite!
    Last edited by allegro; 11-24-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I pretty much died when I read Mike was wearing shin high bright yellow pot leaf socks.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Right on, brother. [high five]

Meanwhile, my husband is bitching that this is all happening because of the Man oppressing the People. I think he's turning into John Sinclair.
    your husband sounds hilariously awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    That's what all court-type transcripts look like. They're also usually really fucking boring. This one was actually really interesting as far as transcripts go.

The one who looks the dumbest is the idiot asking the questions.

You want loads of fun in a transcript, go read Paula Deen's deposition transcript oooo lordy that's mah favorite!
    Any key spots that stood out to you? There was a section about why the guy responsible didn't take a report right away... it made me scratch my head. The answer made no fucking sense.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    No matter your thoughts on ferguson, you gotta admit that this is the most awesome, yet fucked up, picture

There were quite a few with that banner, but this looks to be the best.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    No matter your thoughts on ferguson, you gotta admit that this is the most awesome, yet fucked up, picture

There were quite a few with that banner, but this looks to be the best.
    I made that my cover photo on fb

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post

Give it a few weeks. I'll get my toldyaso.
    you were saying? (as far as chaos being limited to ferguson)

not that i'm happy about it.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    It would make great custom holiday cards... just saying

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    you were saying? (as far as chaos being limited to ferguson)

not that i'm happy about it.
    i was wondering when someone was going to resurrect that bet

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    i was wondering when someone was going to resurrect that bet

i just found out...i've been asleep.
    this blows.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    um....

Woman saying ‘we’re ready for Ferguson’ accidentally shoots self in head, dies
    http://wgntv.com/2014/11/24/woman-sa...-in-head-dies/

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I laughed at that this morning. Darwin'd.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Any key spots that stood out to you?
    Well, let's see ...

1. He doesn't carry a taser because it's uncomfortable and too big? The force gives them a CHOICE?
    2. The fucking gun didn't WORK, wtf, yikes
    3. I thought he had a partner with him, didn't realize he was working alone without a partner
    4. If the area was "anti-police" why the fuck was he in a squad car alone? This probably explains why he was pissing his pants scared
    5. I didn't understand the "Hulk Grip" thing at all, I'd need to see this demonstrated
    6. The questioning was very thorough, this was not sandbagged in favor of no indictment per this transcript, that's for sure
    7. For instance, especially starting with around Page 254, did he know they were Cigarillos or did he assume they were Cigarillos?
    8. See Page 261, Line 9. Good question
    9. See Page 269, regarding the gun and who had "complete control" of the gun
    10. Page 273, true, somebody in shock from trauma like that probably doesn't remember things correctly at the time. He didn't even know he shot Brown in the car, didn't know he had blood on him
    11. See his answer on Page 281 <--- that's the key element to the Supreme Court case, right there

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    really interesting stuff.
    hearing your view on that is the reason I first came to this thread tonight
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 11-25-2014 at 12:43 AM.