Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The Criterion Collection

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    It's a masterpiece... Soul-bruising experience.
    That'll be on my list.
    Re: Shoah

It's also on YouTube in four parts, if anyone wants to get a feel for it before purchasing the Criterion.
    I see that Things to Come is also on YouTube, as is Marketa Lazarova. Three films I'd like to watch, but definitely through Criterion as opposed to YouTube. It's nice to get an idea of what you're in for, as opposed to completely blind buys.
    Last edited by Findus; 03-21-2013 at 01:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Last year in marienbad is one to get for sure. Looks gorgeous on blu ray.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I already have Last Year in Marienbad, a beautiful film. I need to get those Melville films.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I quickly bought Le Cercle Rouge, Army of Shadows and Leon Morin(Priest).

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Naked Lunch blu ray hit this week. Ive had the DVD for some time but the blu ray is a massive improvement. One of my favorite movies too, definitely a must get

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    July

]
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-15-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm definitely going to get The Devil's Backbone and The Life of Oharu as I saw the film last month. It's devastating yet powerful. I widely recommend it for anyone that is interested in the works of Mizoguchi.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Thats good. Last month o started my slow saunter into the world of mizoguchi. They are feeding my interests. Its why i showed up in the first place. The Lord of Flies is beautifully timed as i was just going to pick up the dvd. Cant say the same for wild strawberries last month, which i did get on dvd shortly before the announced blu ray.

Im interested in Del Toro too, and can i really pass on spine no. 666?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Definitely not interested in Lord of the Flies. I hated it in High School, can't imagine buying it now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    AUGUST

Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-15-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I need that Fassbinder boxset as well as those 2 films by Satyajit Ray. I really love The Music Room and I'm eager to see more of his work.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The art on these releases are incredible. The Game is still one of my favorites.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Any news on the next B&N Criterion 50% off sale? Havent had one is quite a while and seemed like we had them every few months for a quick minute.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It's likely to come in July. The ones I need at that point are the ones from Jane Campion and Jim Jarmusch as I'm planning to do some Auteurs essays on them. If I still have some money after that, I'll get Badlands and maybe an Eclipse series.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Im assuming the Eclipse series will never see BD releases...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Any news on the next B&N Criterion 50% off sale? Havent had one is quite a while and seemed like we had them every few months for a quick minute.
    Usually I get an email about it...I will keep a lookout, and post here when one happens.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The next one is in July. They usually do it then and in November.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Still impatiently awaiting Eraserhead and Madadayo.I have a copy of Madadayo and the quality is awful. Ive seen the criterion print and its a testament to their abilities. Its time to put it out there for those of us whocant afford a 400 dollar box set.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Still impatiently awaiting Eraserhead and Madadayo.I have a copy of Madadayo and the quality is awful. Ive seen the criterion print and its a testament to their abilities. Its time to put it out there for those of us whocant afford a 400 dollar box set.
    I'm with you on that although the box set is sort of incomplete since it's missing some Kurosawa films like Dreams, Rhapsody in August, Ran, and a few others. With the exception of the ones already on Criterion and the ones in the Eclipse series, get the ones that aren't available individually on sale. That way, we can save some money.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I will kill someone is Life Aquatic isnt released on blu and if Fantastic Mr. Fox doesnt get the Criterion treatment.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom both need to be in Criterion right now. That's why I haven't bought their current DVD editions.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Life Aquatic is apparently OOP are they losing the rights to anderson's movies?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Life Aquatic is apparently OOP are they losing the rights to anderson's movies?
    No. Rushmore and Tenenbaums came out on Blu pretty recently, but through another company, not Disney directly. The easy money would be on Life Aquatic following suit sometime later this year.

Best Buy and Amazon are having sales of up to 50% off.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 06-02-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: My bad, B&N not included.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Picked up Naked Lunch, Badlands, and Repo Man during the Amazon sale today. Wanted to get On The Waterfront too but decided not to spend TOO much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Picked up 3:10 to Yuma and Repo Man on Amazon. Thinking I will pick up a On the Waterfront and Double Life of Veronique at B&N in a month or so.
    Last edited by Santos L Halper; 06-03-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Badlands arrived today. I hope to get some more next month in time for the B&N sale. Think I might get Monterey Pop since I'm wanting to get more music Blu's.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    September

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I love Autumn Sonata. I need that film. I also want those Rossellini films. It features Guy Maddin's My Dad is 100 Years Old w/ Isabella Rossellini.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Criterion posted this image on their Twitter

The website Blu-ray.com reported yesterday that this was might be a confirmation of a potential release from them. They have done this sort of thing before with regard to other films (some Kubrick stuff) that aren't on the CC at all. I took with a grain of salt. BUT, they just posted this same image on their Facebook today, likely well-aware of the buzz the other website started. So this may be a sign.