Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Criterion Collection

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I post on another forum site that's pretty Criterion-centric, so I get about 100% of my scoops from them lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I post on another forum site that's pretty Criterion-centric, so I get about 100% of my scoops from them lol.
    Where is This?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    There's a post from 2007 on there talking about the possibility of La Notte being released. You guys are either well ​informed or Miss. Cleo.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's a mixed bag.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Wrapped up the B&N sale by picking up Down By Law and Eyes Without a Face.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    On Saturday, I got Life is Sweet, If..., Gray's Anatomy, and the Qatsi Trilogy. The last of which I used an extra 30% coupon to get. I really hope to get Nashville during the sale.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    The sale ends today however B&N will be doing a BOGO sale next week, according to above mentioned forum.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    not strictly criterion (sorry) but heres my wes anderson collection:

very much looking forward to the release of fantastic mr fox on criterion!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Love it.

Seems like this would complete your inventory.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Barnes & Noble just added a Buy 1, Get One Free Criterion Sale till the 16th. Nice!!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Paolo Sorrentino's The Great Beauty will be available on itunes in February through Criterion, so I'm guessing a physical release isn't far off. My birthday is in March so I'm hoping for a killer lineup. Nymphomaniac pt. one releases on my birthday so here's hoping for a great week of films.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    March releases:

George Washington
    A Brief History of Time
    The Hidden Fortress
    The Freshman
    Persona
    The Great Beauty

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I already have George Washington so unless I get a Blu-Ray player, I don't need it. The rest though I do want. Especially Persona though I still plan to keep my other copy.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Persona! Have i ever mentioned the wierd coincidence about how I watched that movie fore the first time and then started playing Persona 4 on the same day? The wierd part was the similarities.

Also, thevoid99 has one of the blurbs on Persona's page! I thought that was cool.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Barnes & Noble has most of their Blu rays including Criterion's at 40% off. Some of the DVDs are on sale too.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Guess away.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    There's been a lot of guesses out there that I've read at Criterion and at a Criterion forum. Red River, Red Sun, Scanners, The Brood, an upgrade on Picnic on Hanging Rock, a box set on Jacques Tati M. Hulot's films, some films by Jacques Demy like The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and I hope Breaking the Waves comes out. BTW, when is Y Tu Mama Tambien going to come out?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I'm hoping Criterion will pick up and release Christiane F. On blu ray.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I'm hoping Criterion will pick up and release Christiane F. On blu ray.
    Oh, that would be awesome. Criterion needs more Bowie in their collection.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    There's been a lot of guesses out there that I've read at Criterion and at a Criterion forum. Red River, Red Sun, Scanners, The Brood, an upgrade on Picnic on Hanging Rock, a box set on Jacques Tati M. Hulot's films, some films by Jacques Demy like The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and I hope Breaking the Waves comes out. BTW, when is Y Tu Mama Tambien going to come out?
    Scanners and The Brood are on iTunes through Criterion, so hopefully soon. Red River was talked about during a Criterion question and answer late last year along with other films. Alfonso Cuaron was at their hq a few months back, people are thinking he was doing a commentary. Nicolas Refn stopped by also, he made a top 10 for them, but I don't think you stop by just to make a list. As for 'Picnic' I've noticed their website gives some not so subtle hints of what upgrades they're working on.That film was mentioned back in 2012 and I've been convinced they've been doing the update. Also updates of My Own Private Idaho and Cries and Whispers. Also I believe the other animated film was figured out. I don't remember the title, but it's a British film from the 70's. The rights to it recently lapsed.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post
    As for 'Picnic' I've noticed their website gives some not so subtle hints of what upgrades they're working on.That film was mentioned back in 2012 and I've been convinced they've been doing the update.
    Please please please please please please please please let this be true. Picnic at Hanging Rock is one of my favorite movies of all time. I already own the first release they did and I would happily throw more of my money at them for an update.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One title that's a possibility that I'm hearing is A Hard Day's Night. The old Miramax DVD is out of print, and I think the rights have shifted.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    One title that's a possibility that I'm hearing is A Hard Day's Night. The old Miramax DVD is out of print, and I think the rights have shifted.
    That would be amazing though I hope all of the Beatles film would be released through Criterion w/ all of the special features in those DVD/Blu Ray releases all approved by Sir Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia Harrison.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    A Hard Day's Night needs an upgraded release because the blu-ray transfer was atrocious.

Can anyone tell me why there isn't more Kubrick in Criterion's collection? A film like Barry Lyndon would be right up their alley.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    A Hard Day's Night needs an upgraded release because the blu-ray transfer was atrocious.

Can anyone tell me why there isn't more Kubrick in Criterion's collection? A film like Barry Lyndon would be right up their alley.
    I think it has to do with who has the rights as many of Kubrick's films prior to Spartacus are owned by Warner Brothers unless a special deal is made since Badlands did finally come out on Criterion with Warner Brothers allowing it to happen.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    They had quite a bit more Kubrick in the laserdisc days. Lolita, Dr. Strangelove and 2001 (Arthur C. Clarke recommended this in a few prefaces of books relevant to it) all had spines. Back then LD was a more niche market and Criterion had more room to get rights for stuff from Hollywood studios. Oddly enough, I think that's coming around again. On top of a slowly-emerging relationship with Warner Brothers, they just signed a distribution deal with Sony which actually sounds kind of vague but it's likely we are going to see more titles from them like the upcoming Tess and the highly rumored Tootsie.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Oh, that would be awesome. Criterion needs more Bowie in their collection.
    With any luck they will put out The Hunger and Basquiat, you can never have enough Bowie and he did a killer Warhol in Basquiat.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I've had a christmas gift card just burning a hole in my wallet so I treated myself to the Three Colors trilogy blu-ray box set.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    I've had a christmas gift card just burning a hole in my wallet so I treated myself to the Three Colors trilogy blu-ray box set.
    Nice!!! I used my Xmas money to get the Qatsi trilogy at Barnes & Nobles before the sale ended w/ a coupon for 20-25% off.