Page 30 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    He Never Died - I really wanted to like this, but it was just lifeless and dull. Such a waste of Henry Rollins.

Werewolf Woman - hysterically over-the-top Italian sleaze from the 70s. My favourite scene is when our heroine is writhing on a bed calling her sister a "fucking whore" and yelling "I LIKE TO MAKE LOVE TOO, YOU KNOW". Glorious.

Looking at the media centre box I have, the genre watchlist for the rest of the week includes:
    Curtains
    Tourist Trap
    Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
    Rawhead Rex
    Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    He Never Died - I really wanted to like this, but it was just lifeless and dull. Such a waste of Henry Rollins.

Werewolf Woman - hysterically over-the-top Italian sleaze from the 70s. My favourite scene is when our heroine is writhing on a bed calling her sister a "fucking whore" and yelling "I LIKE TO MAKE LOVE TOO, YOU KNOW". Glorious.

Looking at the media centre box I have, the genre watchlist for the rest of the week includes:
    Curtains
    Tourist Trap
    Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
    Rawhead Rex
    Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension
    My friend owns the Curtains blu-ray. I previewed it, looks great. He also said the movie is good.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i've never seen jaws until tonight. no shit. i didn't love it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Just finished watching Crimson Peak. I wouldn't really call this a horror movie. I mean, it has element of horror but it's more macabre than pure horror.
    Movie looks amazing. The story is pretty simplistic and predictable. The first act drags a bit in length. When they get to the manor, things get more interesting but I felt like the movie never really find its pace.
    Don't get me wrong. I liked the movie but i really wanted to love it,especially after seeing those amazing previews. Still a solid 7/10. Cannot give it an 8 because it lacks replay value and is definitely not memorable enough.

Also watched the following movies during the weekend.

Howl: Pretty decent monster movie. Setting was great; train stuck in the middle of nowhere during the night. Acting was alright but the characters were not very likable.

Last Shift: That was another good supernatural movie. There were some decent scares. Good pace. Overall, a nice surprise. @elevenism you should check this one out if you haven't yet (Btw: Did you like Exeter?)

I realized that while I've seen a lot of modern day horror movies, I completely missed some some old classics. Sure, I've seen the original Hallowee, Friday the 13th etc.. but for instance, I realized that I had never seen the original "The Omen".
    It can now be crossed off the list. Really enjoyed it. I can only imagine watching this back when it came out, when religion was omnipresent in your every day life. It was probably more terrifying then. Still good today.

Next on the watchlist: Jeruzalem and Digging Up The Marrow
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 02-02-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid , i felt the same way about Crimson Peak. It wasn't great, but good lord, it LOOKED incredible.

I haven't given Exeter a whirl yet, but my mom loved it. I will check out Last Shift too-thanks.

I found DUTM to be fairly enjoyable, btw

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    What do you guys think of Daria Argento movies? any you'd recommend?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I watched Suspiria last year for the first time and it's a must-see.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I watched Suspiria last year for the first time and it's a must-see.
    i just don't get into watching people get hurt. it doesnt scare me. it just makes me feel bad for the people getting sliced or whatever

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Suspiria (as already mentioned) and Deep Red/Profondo Rosso are the usual two recommendations. I mention the Italian name because the "International/Director's Cut" is the only complete version out there. If you're torrenting, just add "Director's Cut" to your search.

Inferno, the second part of the Three Mothers trilogy (Suspiria being the first), is a visual treat, although the movie itself makes little sense without repeat viewings. If you enjoyed the visual tone/mood of Suspiria, you'll enjoy Inferno. For the love of whoever, skip the third part. Udo Kier is still a badass.

Tenebrae, Phenomena, and Opera round out the '80s and Daria Nicolodi's run with Maestro Argento that are worth a shit. Excellent scores and some memorable deaths, for sure.

His two contributions to the Masters of Horror series, Jenifer and Pelts, are often-overloooked but excellent nonetheless. Pelts is reminiscent of a Tales from the Crypt episode, with Meat Loaf playing the main character.

---------------------------------------

I tried to keep this brief and had to censor myself, so some of these sentences might sound a little fragmented/funky. I'm a big fan of Dario Argento, and gialli in general.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I found DUTM to be fairly enjoyable, btw
    Watched Digging Up The Marrow last night. I really liked it. However, Adam Greene screwed up big time by casting Ray Lewis as Deckell. Should have gone with an unknown actor. Having this recognizable face took away the mockumentary vibe. 7/10

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid i liked last shift.
    it wasn't GREAT, but it had some killer creepy visuals, didn't it?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid i liked last shift.
    it wasn't GREAT, but it had some killer creepy visuals, didn't it?
    Absolutely! I agree it wasn't great but when we've seen much of all the new releases, "decent" movies are good enough for me. Last Shift fits into this category.

I watched Jeruzalem this morning. POV movie shot from the perspective of Google Glass. It's about the end of times. Not much happening in the first 40 minutes besides the awesome footage from some Vatican exorcist. Then things start to get interesting. You do want to punch the main character in the face a few times. It's a very cliche movie with very little originality. Still recommending it if you have nothing to watch. 5/10

Also saw Hidden starring Alexander Skarsgard. Movie about a family hiding from some things in a post-outbreak world. It had some elements of horror but it's more of a suspense/thrillrr/horror guess. Reminded me of Monsters but definitely not as good.
    Ok I had to upgrade this rating from a 6 to a 7 because of the last 20 minutes. Should have waited before reviewing it. Didn't see any of this coming.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 02-07-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    The Diabolical was watchable.
    It wasn't scary but it had a really cool story, despite a few plot holes.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid , hidden was the shit.
    it went from zero to fucking awesome in the last half hour. i ALMOST turned it off though
    i'm glad i didn't. thanks for the tip.

also, it made me cry a bit-am i getting too soft?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The greatest scene ever from a horror movie.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid , hidden was the shit.
    it went from zero to fucking awesome in the last half hour. i ALMOST turned it off though
    i'm glad i didn't. thanks for the tip.
    Yeah those last 30 minutes totally saved this movie from being pointless.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    The greatest scene ever from a horror movie.

Hahaha! I haven't seen that movie in ages.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

Suspiria, Tenebrae and Phenomena are all very good.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Witch is an excellent film. I walked out unsure if I liked it at first, but it sticks with you. It's haunting visuals, strong writing, and well developed characters made it an eerie, tense, and unsettling experience.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't think The Witch is getting a cinema release over here. Sad times.

EDIT: IMDB has a UK release date in mid-March, which works for a border-dwelling denizen like me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I don't think The Witch is getting a cinema release over here. Sad times.

EDIT: IMDB has a UK release date in mid-March, which works for a border-dwelling denizen like me.
    I feel your pain. I remember reading about The Witch when it premiered at Sundance this time last year, then reading it had gotten picked up for distribution the following month, and then nothing for almost all of 2015. Finally heard it was getting a February release date a few months back, but the wait was worth it.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Saw The Witch. Sure, it's about the devil, but it's the hypocritical nature of family and fake Christians that I liked the most.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i saw it tonight. i'm so baffled. i was beyond bored, kept telling my husband that it'd pick up. but it just didn't. the rs review i read ended with "it'll scare the hell out of you." it wasn't scary. at all.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Saw Deathgasm last night. Wildly entertaining. Good mix of humor, gore and heavy metal.
    Solid effort worth a 7/10.

I also watched The Haunted Palace. The story itself is subpar but the ambiance, atmosphere and music were really great! Another solid 7/10.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    saw the witch and I thought it was extremely underwhelming. The movie was extremely slow, which I don't care as long as it's interesting, and the best part of the movie was on the trailer. I honestly don't get the high reviews. I notice on metacritc, and rotten tomato the professional reviews were high and the user reviews weren't that high. I was really excited to see this movie too. : (

I will say the acting and the cinematography were great

5/10
    Last edited by Rdm; 02-23-2016 at 04:00 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I buddy of mine went to see The Witch and thought it was one of the most boring movie he has ever seen. Said it it really didn't deserve the score it has on Rotten Tomatoes (88%).
    Asked for a refund after 45min but you needed to step out before the 30 min mark.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    SEE?!

wtf is with this hype?

honestly the crucible was more intense.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I hate that every good or above average horror movie gets hyped as "the scariest thing ever." Things can't just be good anymore. People saying The Witch was the new Shining - really? Can you really say that a day after seeing it? Can you really assess anything that thoroughly immediately after seeing it? It's like people called it this amazing next best thing movie and now there's backlash to it when really it seems like it's just generally accepted as good. But it didn't get to just be good -- it had to be the new Rosemary's Baby.

Reminds me a ton of the Babadook situation where you had the director of The Exorcist calling it the scariest thing he'd ever seen. It was not. It was not that amazing. It was very good. It was not some reinvention of the genre. But because people touted it as that people came at it expecting that and were rightfully disappointed so then they hated it. I feel bad for people who make these movies because they end up with audiences expecting things out of them they themselves never even promised.

It stands for criticism at large in every medium but I just miss when things were allowed to just be good again. Not everything has to be life-changing and not being a masterpiece doesn't make everything a pile of shit, either. Ugh. I sound so cranky.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So I guess the next "much talked about" movie is The Conjuring 2? My expectations are high on this one. The first one as solid as it gets for modern day horror.
    Hopefully, this one will be as good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Iit when really it seems like it's just generally accepted as good. But it didn't get to just be good -- it had to be the new Rosemary's Baby.
    honestly I can't even say that "The Witch" was good. The actors were good, especially dealing with the very clunky dialogue, they delivered the lines well, it was a good looking film with the scenery and such.

The plot totally lost me though, I feel like they could have taken the movie into full on Lynchian weirdness, or tried their best to tell it as a coherent story, but instead chose some middle ground that was never weird enough nor coherent enough to make any sense.

and then by the end when i just want to get out of there, they spring that ending? i have difficulty remembering and ending that was just that poorly executed.