Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I saw Crimson Peak last night and it's visually pleasing but overall the movie is just okay. Definitely my least favorite Guillermo del Toro.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I saw Crimson Peak last night and it's visually pleasing but overall the movie is just okay. Definitely my least favorite Guillermo del Toro.
    I kinda figured.
    I was so excited about this one, until i saw the trailer, with the voice whispering "bewaaaare crimson peeeaaak!" or some shit like that. And i realized that it wasn't gonna be as good as it sounded.

Has anyone watched The Visit yet?
    i'm about to give it a go.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Green Inferno was nowhere near as warped as I thought it would be. A few gross bits, but nothing too bad.

We Are Still Here is worth checking out. Very much like a Fulci movie with some Lovecraftian elements. It does drag for the first half, though.

The Final Girls is great. I haven't seen all of it yet - thanks ShAaNiG for releasing it with a blank 28 minutes for the end of the file - but it's great fun. Some of the in-jokes lifted from old slashers had me howling. Definitely picking this up on physical when it comes out over here.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Really? It's second only to Pan's Labyrinth as my favorite. I see it more as a gothic romance than horror movie so maybe people's expectations going in were miscalculated.

Also, Lucille Sharpe is my problematic fave.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I think that is what happened, honestly.

Watched Tales of Halloween earlier and liked it, except for Lucky McKee's story which was pretty awful but the rest of the stories are good. It's no Trick 'r Treat or Creepshow but it is still a good time. Lots of cameos too.
    Last edited by Swykk; 10-18-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Does 120 Days of Sodom have any merit at all?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    As a denunciation and allegory of absolute fascism, abuse of power and human wickedness, it's pretty much 2001 : a space odyssey.
    It's not an exploitation movie, Pasolini was no small fish, he was a highly cultured, if controversial, writer and director. The film has a point, he didn't make it for the fun of rape, murder and scatology...
    But, as an illustration of the horror of absolute power, it's obviously difficult to watch for most people.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    "120 days of Sodom" isn't a horror movie...
    Surely some horrific things happen and has a lot of physical and psychological abuse, but the movie is more on the side of a drama/erotic/art kind of movie than on the horror genre.
    It's like "Alien": sure it has horror elements but it's mostly a Sci-Fi movie...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 10-20-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "120 days of Sodom" isn't a horror movie...
    Yeah it's just horrific. Its point isn't to provide the viewer with the usual horror thrills, it's not Hostel.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Yeah it's just horrific. Its point isn't to provide the viewer with the usual horror thrills, it's not Hostel.
    As you said, it's not an exploitation film and the focus is more on the drama aspect and the psychology of the characters, but it's more artsy and almost an essay on human perversions than it's "scary".

It's funny because i was discussing recently with a friend what movies are "horror" and what movies are not.
    "Deliverance" came up which is a great movie but I don't consider it "horror", i said that the whole point of the movie is to make you feel the pain and suffering the characters are going through but in the end it's a "thriller" that ends up as a reflection of the human condition, i guess the same applies to "Salo", but obviously Passolinni had a bigger message on the human condition, along with a wider artistic vision for it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    So I'm watching the Hellraiser sequels past number 3 for the first time, and I have to say, Inferno and Hellseeker would have probably been great movies if they weren't shoehorned into being associated with the Hellraiser series. Bloodline, however, is a complete turd either way.
    The story is that Bloodline got all screwed up in production because of studio meddling. That’s no guarantee that the original plan for the film would have been better, but it would have been interesting to see. I personally always found Hellraiser III to be the toughest one to watch (not even counting the Revelations here). But some of the straight to video installments were solid.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    I dug The Visit.

I'm fresh outta horror movies. I like the supernatural kind mostly. Any suggestions?

I've come to the conclusion that MOST horror movies are bad, but the rare good one is my favorite kind of film.

edit: from what i've read about Salo, it didn't sound like a horror movie. The reason i asked you guys, however, is that i've also read that it's very hard to watch.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-22-2015 at 12:18 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    edit: from what i've read about Salo, it didn't sound like a horror movie. The reason i asked you guys, however, is that i've also read that it's very hard to watch.
    It's pretty tame really. The only gory stuff happens in the last 10 minutes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^much like miike's 'the audition'
    if i just stumbled across that film, i wouldn't have stuck with it. since i had an idea of the coup de grace beforehand, it ended up being a great watch and the slow beginning was worth it. possibly the same could be said about 'salo?' i haven't seen it.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah no, that's just not the same thing, there is no delivery in Salò, no climax, that's not the point.
    Comparing it to any horror movie is pointless I think, they don't operate on the same rules, they're just different beasts. That's like comparing 2001 and star wars.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I don't think Salo is a horror film in the traditional sense but it does invoke some very strong reactions as I saw it last December as part of my Blind Spot and I freaked the fuck out. I don't think I ever want to see it again. It was too much for me to handle. Right now, I just finished watching Christine as it's the last John Carpenter film I'm watching this month. There's still some films of his that I want to see as I really think he is one of the greats and should go up there with the Hitchcocks of the world. Here's my list of John Carpenter's films ranked from what I've seen from him so far: http://letterboxd.com/thevoid99/list...penter-ranked/

I also finished Suspiria last night for my Blind Spot this month and.... man.... that is one of the best films I had ever seen in my life.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Some wonderful person put my favourite horror comedy short on YouTube (originally part of the Chillerama anthology movie) -

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Pretty decent early 80's South Korean horror film on youtube. They should do a criterion release of this

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Morgan Creek have been posting rather cryptic tweets about a possible special release of The Exorcist III.

William Peter Blatty wrote and directed it in 1990, and his version of the film was lost by the
    producers. They looked for the missing footage many times but came up with nothing.

I just emailed Bill Blatty, who is a good friend of mine, and he confirmed that they are indeed planning on releasing a special Blu-Ray for it. He said it isn't clear as yet how they found all the missing material. So excited. Check my website/s: http://www.theninthconfiguration.com / http://legion.theninthconfiguration.com

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I remember John Carpenter was supposed to direct The Exorcist III but creative conflicts between him and Blatty led to Carpenter's departure.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    God dammit, i just bought "The Exorcist III" on Blu Ray a few months ago (i also already own it on DVD).
    But i'm also happy that it's happening, i hope they release it as "Legion" and include the original ending they intended.
    I fuckin love that movie, obviously the first one is classic but i've always found "Legion" very underrated, oh and that "statue scene" it's one of the scariest ever!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just watched Bone Tomahawk, it's a western/horror starring Kurt Russel, Patrick Wilson etc..

Regardless of genre this is one the best films i've seen this year, there are scenes of gore that made even me look away and i thought i'd seen it all..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2494362/

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Lots of jump scares in The Ghost Dimension.

Katie wasn't in it! Older Katie anyway.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw Crimson Peak this morning as while I don't think it's a traditional horror film but rather a Gothic romantic-horror film. It is what I think an amazing film by del Toro that owes more to The Devil's Backbone than Pan's Labyrinth and Pacific Rim in terms of people's fascination with death and ghost. It's visually-beautiful while the thing that impressed me the most is Jessica Chastain. Please, give her an Oscar nod for her performance in this film.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Recent seasonal watches -

Deathgasm: New Zealand are knocking it out of the park in terms of horror-comedies as of late and this is another great one. Teen metalheads instigate a demon apocalypse. It's like a foul-mouthed version of The Evil Dead. Recommended.

The Vatican Tapes: I went in expecting yet another found-footage Exorcist knock-off, but it's actually just an Exorcist knock-off with absolutely no suspense whatsoever. Avoid.

All Hallows' Eve 2: It started out promising, but it turned out that the first story was by far the best part of the anthology. It was a chore to get through.

Tales of Halloween: A definite mixed bag. It seem to drag near the end of the movie - sadly, I thought the story involving Ben Woolf's final role was shockingly bad - but I liked the links to the other tales in the final story. Perhaps it deserves a rewatch.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It's pretty tame really. The only gory stuff happens in the last 10 minutes.
    nothing about it is tame. it's vile, start-to-finish. i get passolini's intentions and the cinematography is beautiful in parts, but it's a disgusting and deplorable film.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.horror-movies.ca/2015/10/...-in-australia/

Wolf Creek to be 6 part miniseries mid 2016.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Kiss of the Damned- nice soundtrack, at least.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    The Vatican Tapes: I went in expecting yet another found-footage Exorcist knock-off, but it's actually just an Exorcist knock-off with absolutely no suspense whatsoever. Avoid.
    I second that.
    Watched it yesterday. Pretty dull. 5/10 (rounded up from 4.5). Barely better than The Gallows.

Also saw Dark Waters (not to be confused with Dark Water).
    One rare occurrence in which, I think the IMDB rating is way too high. I fast forwarded the last 30 minutes, resulting in a 3/10.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 11-01-2015 at 11:46 AM.