Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Um ....we classical fanatics beg to differ, Tony. You're so cultured, LOL.
    @eversonpoe
    Us nin fans are a different crowd, I hate to point to the music charts but the closest to instrumental type music that's ever hit the popular music charts that I can think of is skrillex and MAYBE that turn down for what song. I LOVE ghosts, I was just saying I can understand why someone wouldn't be able to get through it all way way is all.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I will probably not miss Nine Inch Nails that much in the coming few years of almost-inactivity.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe , I beg you to listen to classical besides Mozart. There is lots and lots of it. Atonal fun stuff, even.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I often minimize my [insert music player here] at work due to my fellow co-workers realizing that I listen to NIN 99.9% of the time.
    Last edited by r_k_f; 08-21-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: poor grammar

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    When I listen to the recordings from Tension I put Hurt after Head Like a Hole, so the set ends with While I'm Still Here, which is much more powerful end.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atu View Post
    When I listen to the recordings from Tension I put Hurt after Head Like a Hole, so the set ends with While I'm Still Here, which is much more powerful end.
    Find My Way is also extremely moving live. It actually brought tears to my eyes. :/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe, I beg you to listen to classical besides Mozart. There is lots and lots of it. Atonal fun stuff, even.
    My problem with classical is I have a terrible memory and a really shit musical education at school, I can listen and enjoy something but wouldn't remember what it is to go back to because it was called 'symphony in d minor blah blah' and it never sticks. The stuff I love that I remember from my dad playing it when I was growing up are 'pictures at an exhibition', 'moonlight sonata' because they were called something memorable. I've been to the Proms to see Pictures and Holst's The Planets (again a memorable name)? Obviously I love the music too, but I just remember what to look for, I wouldn't know where to start with anything else, except that I hate anything involving wind instruments emulating birds or children playing, it's just too twee

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe , I beg you to listen to classical besides Mozart. There is lots and lots of it. Atonal fun stuff, even.
    sorry, i was over-generalizing. there's plenty of "classical" music that i listen to and enjoy. Ligeti is fantastic. any of john zorn's "classical" stuff is great.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sorry, i was over-generalizing. There's plenty of "classical" music that i listen to and enjoy. Ligeti is fantastic. Any of john zorn's "classical" stuff is great.
    stravinsky!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I never heard Ghosts tracks 37 & 38 until about 10 minutes ago...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Something I adore with NIN is that I'm constantly thinking I've heard every possible thing and then find out I haven't, I remember last year I had no idea what the Top of the Hour thing was and finally heard that. I've given up trying to hear everything.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    My problem with classical is I have a terrible memory and a really shit musical education at school, I can listen and enjoy something but wouldn't remember what it is to go back to because it was called 'symphony in d minor blah blah' and it never sticks. The stuff I love that I remember from my dad playing it when I was growing up are 'pictures at an exhibition', 'moonlight sonata' because they were called something memorable. I've been to the Proms to see Pictures and Holst's The Planets (again a memorable name)? Obviously I love the music too, but I just remember what to look for, I wouldn't know where to start with anything else, except that I hate anything involving wind instruments emulating birds or children playing, it's just too twee
    That's why I have a 'favourite classical music' folder on my pc. My memory is awful for that sort of song name retention too. I still can't tell Ghosts 15 from Ghosts 25 or 35 tbh!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Never hurts to check http://www.ninwiki.com/Category:Rare_NIN_Songs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Don't encourage them...those 2 tracks are pants (comparatively).

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I love 37 Ghosts, I understand its omission as it doesn't really fit, but it's a good track. And 38 is a good .. demo?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    That section always just frustrates me, because I have the biggest desire to listen to songs like Just Do It, or the outtakes from With Teeth included in the PDF, and I can't, and life is just terrible.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I only just noticed moments ago that there are muffled screaming sounds at the end of "Leaving Hope".

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    LOL, yeah, that's a pretty typical problem with classical. It takes a REALLY long time to come anywhere CLOSE to memorizing the actual names of pieces (forget ever coming closing to memorizing more than 10 of Mozart's works other than his really well-known operas, they've tried to make it simple by cataloging it hahahahahaha you'll hear classical radio announcers say "that was K blah blah blah" ugh). Thank God there are nicknames! (Beethoven's Emperor's Concerto) and sometimes they have real names (Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, etc.). The way to get to "know" them is to listen to a classical radio station a LOT. But sometimes you'll just get to the point where you'll know you like this composer or that composer over others, and maybe one or two pieces in particular as favorites, or maybe out of Chopin's catalog, you only like the waltzes and the nocturnes and the polonaises, but not the études. Or, like me, you can love Chopin and most of the Russians, but get pretty bored by Mozart, LOL, but love Beethoven, but get bored by most of the impressionists ... nobody except professors, music majors and professional musicians memorize a ton of the full names of these works. But, if you really enjoy something you hear, maybe at least make a point to note the composer and, if you want to study the composer's work, at least note if the piece you liked was a concerto or a symphony or a sonata or an overture or an étude, etc.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-24-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This seems to be a habit I've had for quite some time, and it would seem to fit nicely into this thread, as I could see how this could make some people cringe. I've noticed that I sometimes use "Nine Inch Nails terminology" when I'm discussing other bands to other Nine Inch Nails fans I know in real life. I'm going to use Slipknot as an example here, and any Slipknot fans will definitely understand this.

Slipknot, Iowa and Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses) are to Slipknot the way that Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and The Downward Spiral are to Nine Inch Nails.

Disasterpieces and 9.0: Live are to Slipknot the way that Closure and And All That Could Have Been (Live) are to Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Of my 7 shows this tour, I only actually saw about 1/3 of the visuals during The Great Destroyer.

Because I was rocking out too hard.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    But sometimes you'll just get to the point where you'll know you like this composer or that composer over others, and maybe one or two pieces in particular as favorites, or maybe out of Chopin's catalog, you only like the waltzes and the nocturnes and the polonaises, but not the études. Or, like me, you can love Chopin and most of the Russians, but get pretty bored by Mozart, LOL, but love Beethoven, but get bored by most of the impressionists ...
    Or like me, stumble across the polyphonic Ordinary Mass and get hooked — the names stay the same and you only have to keep track of the composers.

Oh, and Stravinsky rules. That is all.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Or like me, stumble across the polyphonic Ordinary Mass and get hooked — the names stay the same and you only have to keep track of the composers.

Oh, and Stravinsky rules. That is all.
    Yes, yes he does :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Somehow ACDC came up in the office and I mentioned how I didn't like them... not that I hated them, thought they sucked or anything like that and a coworker lashed out with a "We all can't cut ourselves and listen to Nine Inch Nails all day long".. I thought it was amusing [while cutting my inner thigh and ordering new fishnet gloves :P]
    anyone else find this stereotype super annoying?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Somehow ACDC came up in the office and I mentioned how I didn't like them... not that I hated them, thought they sucked or anything like that and a coworker lashed out with a "We all can't cut ourselves and listen to Nine Inch Nails all day long".. I thought it was amusing [while cutting my inner thigh and ordering new fishnet gloves :P]
    anyone else find this stereotype super annoying?
    Ugh. Yes. People seem to think that all NIN is super angry and aggressive shit. And most of it really isn't... No idea where that stereotype came from, since his biggest hits were probably Closer and WITT(? I'm just guessing).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Probably because the album that made him a bona fide star was TDS. On top of that music, you have what the concerts were like at that time. Voila.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Ugh. Yes. People seem to think that all NIN is super angry and aggressive shit. And most of it really isn't... No idea where that stereotype came from, since his biggest hits were probably Closer and WITT(? I'm just guessing).
    There was a time up through maybe the end of the With Teeth tour where the shows REALLY WERE angry and aggressive. You didn't leave without bruises if you were on the main floor (now known as the Pit, formerly known as just The Floor). I refused to go to any shows during Self Destruct tour because of all that testosterone. I was afraid I'd get killed. During the private member-only Spiral show at the Key Club at Morongo, just before NIN took the stage, two frat dicks next to us told each other, "okay, when Trent hits the stage, let's go up there AND KICK PEOPLES ASSES!!!" (eye roll) That was when they still had a mosh pit during shows. This all perpetuated mostly from the below video. Admittedly, some of it was fun. At Coachella in '05, when NIN hit the stage, I was literally lifted from my feet, pushed forward and carried at least 6 feet forward by the crowd. During one of the two club shows in Chicago during the first leg of the With Teeth tour, a guy with us got slugged in the head and was bleeding. I had a giant bruise on my foot. There were a ton of casualties everywhere. Hell, even REZNOR was bleeding on the 2nd night. At one of the arena shows in Moline during the With Teeth ButtFuckIdaho Leg, I got slugged in the nose and ended up with a bloody nose very briefly. And I was a 5'5" 125 lb female. But, it was awesome.

Here, cut to the crowd at around 2:00

Last edited by allegro; 08-26-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    NIN Confessions... hmm...

I can't watch BYIT because the audio mix is so bad.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    NIN Confessions... hmm...

I can't watch BYIT because the audio mix is so bad.
    Bad how?

I had a reaction like that to The Police's Certifiable, but only because I was watching it on my laptop with headphones and eventually* figured out that it was defaulting to the 5.1 audio track. [smacks forehead] Switching to 2.0 stereo made a biiiiiiiig difference. (Andy Summers' guitar was practically inaudible, but I did get a really up-close-and-personal sense of Sting's bass playing. So there was that.)

* As in, after I'd watched the whole damn thing. So I immediately watched it all again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    20 year fan, been listening & going to shows since '94. I think 'Everything' is one of the greatest songs he's ever written and recorded and I woukd make room for it on NIN greatest hits disc, were I tasked with curating one. Not getting it on either NA tour is my biggest live Disappointment of the last year.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I actually regret getting the DualDisc versions of The Downward Spiral and With Teeth in spite of having my curiosity satisfied. I can't really complain though, as it was inevitable with the interest I have in Nine Inch Nails. On the bright side, I can still give them away as gifts, as I already have enough multiple copies of The Downward Spiral and With Teeth at home. The same also goes for Pretty Hate Machine in my case as well.