Thread: The Relationship Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    My girlfriend said she wouldn’t mind having a baby with me this morning.

Tonight she said she never wants to get married.

I realize the two are not synonymous, but still the disparity perplexes me.
    If only I caught this sooner, as it's something I've thought about for quite some time. (I also haven't been to this thread all that much, so it must have slipped my mind.) I've seen it from the other way around though. Most people I know believe that one of the main reasons to get married is to procreate and start a family, as opposed to just getting married due to love. Most of them believe in becoming husband and wife long before becoming father and mother, and to the majority of them, a childless marriage is incomplete and even severely lacking. Some of them even asked me why I should ever bother getting married if I don't want children, or just have always told me time and time again that one of the most important and main reasons to get married is to start a family, and not just because you love each other. Granted, it's also based on cultural and religious reasons as well.

And that's just me, nor do I mean to speak for anybody but myself, but if I actually wanted a child or two, I'd absolutely get married first, but also not after getting to know each other long enough in an actual loving relationship. Either way, aside from not being able to help it, I'm still not in a rush to get married anyway. I also still lean more on not wanting children, and although I know that one could never be completely ready to rear children, somebody like me is just way too far from being ready to parent in any capacity, as I have enough of my own problems with myself. On the other hand, I still lean more to being just absolutely fine with not having any children at least for now though, nor do I have any plans to have kids at all.

If it's anything I've also taken from just reading about couples disagreeing on marriage and/or procreation, the safest and overall best bet is to be with somebody that simply matches your lifestyle and values, especially on matters such as marriage and/or procreation. It always seemed like something that should always be taken seriously from the get-go.

Aside from all that, Valentine's Day always hits me every year, but not because I hate it or because it makes me sad. I just find it fascinating mostly due to being extremely curious from always being single, and I also suppose it figures on the account that I'm already into giving presents to friends, so how much more for that special somebody? And I always thought it's kind of cool to add an extra occasion in addition to birthdays and anniversaries anyway.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-15-2019 at 12:27 AM.