Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    DeepDiscount is offering the lowest pre-order price for the 80s box I've seen so far, in America anyway. After exchange rate and possible customs fees it's likely cheapest on Amazon.ca for us Canucks right now, but either of these outlets is a better deal than the two official stores.
    Last edited by botley; 08-31-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    DeepDiscount is offering the lowest pre-order price for the 80s box I've seen so far, in America anyway. After exchange rate and possible customs fees it's likely cheapest on Amazon.ca for us Canucks right now, but either of these outlets is a better deal than the two official stores.
    is that a legit website? i've never even heard of it haha. haven't actually bought the set yet but that's a pretty good deal.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    They're legit, they've been around for years and years. I want to say I bought from them way back in the early 2000's, but not too sure.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    My copy of the new bluray shipped out! Unseat the hold on my monkey mind, KC. Unseat it hard.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm planning to get a little "unseated" myself before I watch this, if you know what I mean.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The band played a private show tonight for friends and family, but the setlist has leaked

Spoiler: They played "Lizard" for the first time (the "The Battle of Glass Tears" section), "Cirkus", "Fracture", and "Heroes" was part of their encore
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 09-04-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    There's a more detailed nitty-gritty listing of everything in the 80s box on SuperDeluxeEdition. It's actually nineteen discs, contrary to earlier reports. Truly the final word on this era of the band, as I had expected!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Okay nevermind, ImportCDs has the lowest price for On (and Off) the Road. $91.55 USD plus shipping, which for five complete live albums, three studio albums in hi-res surround, alternate takes, sessions, live videos and memorabilia... is, um, insanely good. Cancelling Amazon and going with them!
    so, i just ordered it (was waiting for my new credit card statement to start) and it says (in my order confirmation e-mail) Backordered. so...i really hope i actually get it. i've only pre-ordered from import CDs once before (placebo vinyl) and it went fine, but i'm a bit worried about this...

on another note, my Radical Action box set came yesterday. i've listened to one and a half CDs worth of it, so far, and it's pretty good. i feel like some of the songs aren't quite as polished/tight as they were on the Toronto recording, and it's really weird hearing a live recording with no audience (still not really sure why they did that), but overall it's not bad. looking forward to watching the blu-ray.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Wow, Radical Action is really mind-blowing. Just listening to the CDs, it's clear how the band rapidly developed last year even in the short time between Toronto and Takamatsu. Even that short little reprise of the title track, which acts as an embellishment upon & bridge between "Meltdown" and "Level Five", is just incredible. Almost sounds like an outtake from The Fragile.

Can't wait to watch the whole Blu-ray absolutely baked out of my mind. Enjoy the European shows this year, you lucky Europeans.
    Last edited by botley; 09-15-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I was just watching that video. Fuck that is a performance.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    "Meltdown" is a new song, right? It's not from A Scarcity of Miracles and it didn't exist pre-Seven Heads lineup. If this (and "Radical Action") is the direction of future new music, I hope they decide to make an album before they call it a day. Even if it's mixed from multitrack live recordings. Give us something!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yep, I believe they were devised after the first shows by Fripp and Jakszyk in their studios. I believe Fripp has said there's no intention to go into the studio with this lineup but who knows. Less than 3 years ago before the first announcement was made it was a foregone conclusion that Fripp was done with the music business entirely.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Yep, I believe they were devised after the first shows by Fripp and Jakszyk in their studios. I believe Fripp has said there's no intention to go into the studio with this lineup but who knows. Less than 3 years ago before the first announcement was made it was a foregone conclusion that Fripp was done with the music business entirely.
    Yeah. At least there's a great performance or two out already to enjoy.

Also, anybody up on their Crim minutia? There's a disc called The Guide to Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Parts 1-4) from 2001 and I can't figure out if it's official or not. Discogs seems to say it's legit, but with the total lack of acknowledgement on the DGM Live site, no specific dates for the tracks, and a typo in the liner notes ("remasered"), it seems iffy. Check out the tracklist:
    01. Part 1
    02. Part 2
    03. Part 3
    04. Part IV A
    05. Part IV B
    06. Part IV C
    07. Part 1 Live 1970s
    08. Part 2 Live 1970s
    09. Part 2 Live 1980s
    10. Part 3 Live 1980s
    11. Part IV Live 2000
    12. Goodbye

The live tracks are soundboards/pro mixes and are edited to flow together as a full suite. Good listen. I'm gonna make my own 'superior cut' once we finally get the '80s box released (are there tracklists for that yet? Hoping there's a part 3 performance included in the Japan discs) and whenever the hell ConstruKction gets an anniversary release – I know it wasn't originally announced, but didn't Jakko say something about doing it? I hope he does.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Yeah. At least there's a great performance or two out already to enjoy.

Also, anybody up on their Crim minutia? There's a disc called The Guide to Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Parts 1-4) from 2001 and I can't figure out if it's official or not. Discogs seems to say it's legit, but with the total lack of acknowledgement on the DGM Live site, no specific dates for the tracks, and a typo in the liner notes ("remasered"), it seems iffy.
    It definitely looks like a bootleg; the cover art is notably poor compared to that of a real DGM release (some uncredited person made it, which is not a surprise) and I've never heard of this "International King Crimson's Fanclub" plastered on the cover, nor the "project coordinator" purportedly involved. Editing the Discogs entry to reflect this.

I'm gonna make my own 'superior cut' once we finally get the '80s box released (are there tracklists for that yet? Hoping there's a part 3 performance included in the Japan discs) and whenever the hell ConstruKction gets an anniversary release – I know it wasn't originally announced, but didn't Jakko say something about doing it? I hope he does.
    The 80s box listing is out, there is a performance of "Part 3" on the Montreal CDs but the Japan gig is on Blu-ray only. Re: ConstrukCtion, it was just released to the iTunes Music Store (with a digital booklet and a pair of live bonus tracks) not long ago. I don't know if they remastered it, but it has the Mastered for iTunes designation, which basically means DGM provided a 24bit master for Apple to use in preparing their files in the store and checked it for clipping. That could indicate they may put out a high-definition physical version at some point, but who knows?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    It definitely looks like a bootleg; the cover art is notably poor compared to that of a real DGM release (some uncredited person made it, which is not a surprise) and I've never heard of this "International King Crimson's Fanclub" plastered on the cover, nor the "project coordinator" purportedly involved. Editing the Discogs entry to reflect this.
    Totally. It's a damn shame, though. I hope RF does something like it officially. Hilariously, if you play the Absent Lovers part III and EleKtriK part IV back-to-back, they segue with perfect timing. I doubt it was intentional. (And the bootleg doesn't use the AL recording of part III, so I have no idea what it uses as a source. It also edits the intro off part IV live, which is a terrible idea.)

Also, on the topic of LTIA: Someone on Reddit (how reliable...) said the other day that "Level Five" had originally been worked as LTIA part 5 before the decision to keep it separate (perhaps creating a source for its final title). Anyone ever hear of this? It sorta fits the way the '90s-and-forward band configurations looked backward, what with "VROOOM VROOOM" essentially being a sequel to "Red" and "FraKctured" seemingly reconfiguring/reinterpreting "Fracture" (or so is my assumption, having not specifically attempted to compare the two).

The 80s box listing is out, there is a performance of "Part 3" on the Montreal CDs but the Japan gig is on Blu-ray only. Re: ConstrukCtion, it was just released to the iTunes Music Store (with a digital booklet and a pair of live bonus tracks) not long ago. I don't know if they remastered it, but it has the Mastered for iTunes designation, which basically means DGM provided a 24bit master for Apple to use in preparing their files in the store and checked it for clipping. That could indicate they may put out a high-definition physical version at some point, but who knows?
    D'oh. I have Absent Lovers but stupidly glossed right by part III opening the show, hence my suggestion of the Japan feature instead. The presence of TCOL in MFiT is certainly promising as you say, but maybe that was in effort to offer the complete catalog, rather than indicating a future remaster. Hoping for the latter, betting on the former. C'mon Jakko...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Also, on the topic of LTIA: Someone on Reddit (how reliable...) said the other day that "Level Five" had originally been worked as LTIA part 5 before the decision to keep it separate (perhaps creating a source for its final title). Anyone ever hear of this?
    Yes, there was a song called "Larks' V", mentioned a lot on RF's diary, back in 2000-2001. But I don't remember reading "Larks' V has become Level Five" anywhere. It seems very likely, though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Yes, there was a song called "Larks' V", mentioned a lot on RF's diary, back in 2000-2001. But I don't remember reading "Larks' V has become Level Five" anywhere. It seems very likely, though.
    Thanks very much for the source hint. I've compiled relevant quotes for the other curious ones:
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fripp
    (posted December 14, 1999)
    19.17 Beast! Beast! On my right ear, "Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part IV". On my left ear, "Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part V". Returning from a bout of feeding & shopping, I went into the control room to check in. Ken is rough-mixing "Larks' IV" with Pat sitting behind. Yow! Each section moves forwards and each time I thought - "Enough already!". Then, next section, the ratchet turns once again. Like, power chording in 11/8 from the 3 guitarists and Pat puts a triple fill through the middle of it. Then, triple offsets on the main theme & a descending bridge. Peace at last? Right. An outbreak of guitar in 15/8 at 138 splattering over the top of a rhythm section there to support the guitarist by stomping all over him! I left the room, unable to handle more Crim mayem. Until Trey said - "You wanna hear it?". So, into the garage for the Fairy Fingers on "Larks' V".
    Trey has found what was needed here.
    TG: What d'you think?.
    RF: It's on the edge. I don't know what it's on the edge of, but I know it's on the edge of it. And it's ambiguous. And definite. Definitely ambiguous.
    BM: Is that a good thing?
    RF: If you like ambiguity.

(posted December 16, 1999)
    Conversation between Pat, Adrian & Robert while looking at the white board with titles, times & running order of the album.

PM (to RF): How fixed are you on the title of "Larks' V"?
    RF: Well, it shares lineage with "Fracture".
    PM: That's what I think. And Ken thought you were playing "Fracture" when he heard you practising.

RF kneels to board, rubs out "Larks' V" and writes "Fractured" in its place. AB, RF & PM look at board, consider how it looks and its implications, and agree on the new title. RF runs to find Trey to ask his approval, but he's just driven off to pack.
    Bill has been remixing (what was) "Larks' V" and this has significantly uncovered / clarified its character. So, as the piece's identity has become clearer, we have renamed it prior to its full birthing and moving out into the world.

And here is a dedicated page to every Fripp diary entry related to "FraKctured."

So it seems "Larks' V" is actually "FraKctured," and the origin of "Level Five" in relation to the suite is still unclear. I'm sad Fripp didn't do a diary for TPTB but I suppose it developed on the road instead of in the studio.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's exciting to think that Adrian Belew was in NOLA tracking his parts on The Fragile immediately prior to those sessions.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Turns out I missed a line on the webpage dedicated to "FraKctured:"
    This morning at the beginning of my Pencil Frenzy, I wrote the title "Larks' VI" at the top of the page and then a main phrase in the next stage of this continuing saga.
    The mystery continues.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Just finished watching the Blu-ray of Radical Action. As expected, the visual motifs throughout didn't bother me. In fact it added to the frenzy of the performances. This band never does things the easy way, but that doesn't make it any less a chore to get through. More than that, I'm glad that every song performed throughout the tour was represented. Setlist junkies like me surely look at some live releases and wish this or that song made it onto the final release but didn't.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Just finished watching the Blu-ray of Radical Action. As expected, the visual motifs throughout didn't bother me. In fact it added to the frenzy of the performances. This band never does things the easy way, but that doesn't make it any less a chore to get through. More than that, I'm glad that every song performed throughout the tour was represented. Setlist junkies like me surely look at some live releases and wish this or that song made it onto the final release but didn't.
    Agreed, I was very happy "One More Red Nightmare" made it. If they'd done "Fallen Angel," we could've had a great alternative Red on our hands. Hopefully they add it before the tour ends; they already added "Fracture" which is mindblowing.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm hoping "Exiles" makes it's way in eventually. Such a majestic tune.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky
    they already added "Fracture" which is mindblowing.
    I saw them live on Monday an Fracture was by far my favorite part of the concert! Mindblowing performance

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If you're following DGM/KC on social media you can find links to download individual tracks from the recent tour, free for MP3 and a buck for FLAC.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Read that Fripp offered David Sylvian to front King Crimson in the early 90's. This is what it may have sounded like.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Sylvian in the lead would have been insane, and a very different band. I can't imagine him singing any Belew material, though, which likely would have been the primary source of touring programmes besides improvisations and the new songs they wrote for The First Day, etc.

Did Sylvian say no? Or did it not happen for some other reason?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He said no, but didn't turn Fripp away to work with him on this album.