Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
Another year, another Puppetry Conference - this time, via Zoom. I was tasked with creating music for a piece called Demon Daycare by Marte Ekhougen. Marte sent me a few examples of the direction she wanted, and I knew right away where I need to go.

You can listen to it here on Soundcloud

Behind the scenes/ruining the magic: I started by breaking out my ride cymbal and my Blue Babybottle mic, which I placed very, very close to the cymbal. I recorded a few hits, and then I put three of them on the timeline, panned left, center, and right. Then I set them to play at half speed. So that drone at the beginning - that's all Sabian HHX ride cymbal. Then I grabbed my Ibanez soundgear bass and played a few notes in the same frequency - then reversed them & added copious quantities of reverb. The middle part's mostly Roland JP-08 drones. The electronic cicada sounds are a patch I made on my Poly Evolver Keyboard many summers ago trying to mimic the sound outside - so glad I finally found a home for that patch. The FM sweeps are on my Sub 37. Melissa played a melody on our toy piano, and I did some tweaky delay over it.
definitely the most unsettling thing i've heard you do, and maybe my favorite?