It was an april fools thing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    It was an april fools thing.
    That was lame.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So, is Picard still Picard, or did he die and there is now a new character, Golem?

https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...mJfstxrcJqLlYA

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just watched episodes 2 & 3 of picard. didn't love them the way i loved the first episode, but i'm definitely intrigued!

it's funny that alison pill's character does arguably similar work in this as her character on devs, but is such a different character.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    just watched episodes 2 & 3 of picard. didn't love them the way i loved the first episode, but i'm definitely intrigued!

it's funny that alison pill's character does arguably similar work in this as her character on devs, but is such a different character.
    watched episodes 4 & 5 last night. Spoiler: i am SO MAD that they had alison pill's character turn out to be bad. i couldn't tell if they were going to go that route after her meeting with commodore Oh and i wish they hadn't because it's the more predictable route. UGH! i'm loving rios and all his holograms, they're super fun. and it was awesome to see Seven. Spoiler: i knew that was Icheb before she even said his name and i started crying. oof. i think i'm a rare person who actually liked that side plot on voyager. wish it had been the original actor, though.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    watched episodes 4 & 5 last night. Spoiler: i am SO MAD that they had alison pill's character turn out to be bad. i couldn't tell if they were going to go that route after her meeting with commodore Oh and i wish they hadn't because it's the more predictable route. UGH! i'm loving rios and all his holograms, they're super fun. and it was awesome to see Seven. Spoiler: i knew that was Icheb before she even said his name and i started crying. oof. i think i'm a rare person who actually liked that side plot on voyager. wish it had been the original actor, though.
    Just finished the series last night. Keep watching.

I liked the show, but some questionable decisions left a little sour taste Int my mouth. The biggest is that this doesn’t feel like Star Trek at all.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Just finished the series last night. Keep watching.

I liked the show, but some questionable decisions left a little sour taste Int my mouth. The biggest is that this doesn’t feel like Star Trek at all.
    it's interesteing that so many people feel that way. i've seen a lot of reviews saying the same thing, and putting it down to "star trek is supposed to be an idealized version of our future" and while i get that...it's really not true of next gen and especially DS9. there's so much dark shit on both about the corruption inherent in society and other such things, i'm just seeing that amped up on picard as a reflection of our current world. i will say this show is a lot more violent than i was expecting, which is a bit jarring...as is hearing someone on a star trek show say "fuck" haha

anyway, i'll report back with my thoughts when i'm done! maybe i'll change my tune and be saying the same thing you're saying.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    it's interesteing that so many people feel that way. i've seen a lot of reviews saying the same thing, and putting it down to "star trek is supposed to be an idealized version of our future" and while i get that...it's really not true of next gen and especially DS9. there's so much dark shit on both about the corruption inherent in society and other such things, i'm just seeing that amped up on picard as a reflection of our current world. i will say this show is a lot more violent than i was expecting, which is a bit jarring...as is hearing someone on a star trek show say "fuck" haha

anyway, i'll report back with my thoughts when i'm done! maybe i'll change my tune and be saying the same thing you're saying.
    It just doesn’t fit with what Came before. Now, I’m glad the show worked for me. I was loving almost everything about it. But they went the current Star Wars trilogy and modernized the language. For me, that breaks, ( I’m sorry,but I can’t think of the term to be used here. English is not my first language. ) character I think it is the term to use?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I feel that both Discovery and Picard feel more like Battlestar Galactica (2000's series) than classic Trek, in terms of the serialized storytelling, look, visuals and dark tone. I get why some people wouldn't like it, but that's just what they must think modern audiences want. Although I do feel that Picard's speech to Soji in the finale was TNG-esque.

If the proposed Captain Pike show comes to fruition with Anson Mount (who was amazing in Discovery), I hope that they ditch the serialized storytelling in favor of self-contained stories, like on TOS/TNG. I also hope the tone is a little lighter too.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 04-19-2020 at 04:27 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

After her character in AHS I've learned never to trust her lol

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finished the show today. i liked it a lot. we were going to watch all the "ready room" extras hosted by wil wheaton (because i love him) but didn't realize they're all around 30 minutes.

also, for me, best parts of the show: all the rios holograms, alison pill, & elnar.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Ouch...a Plinkett review is coming for this? Gonna body this whole show like they did the prequels. I don't have a horse in this race as I never watched any Trek past the JJ Abrams movies. I would be interested what some of the fans of Picard in this thread think of the criticisms to come since you guys seem to really enjoy this season, but Mike from RLM is a psycho Trekkie too who clearly was not a fan.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 04-30-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    We recently signed up for CBS all access to watch Picard. Holy shit, what a fantastic series! The first episode was just beyond amazing. Really felt like the prior Treks in many ways, but moved forward a notch. Very impressive. The next few episodes were not quite as exciting, but the story line did develop throughout the season and the overall effect was very entertaining and vivid. Four thumbs up for sure!

Since we were already signed up for CBS, we decided to watch Discovery. What a massive disappointment, at first. The first several episodes were so horrible. WAY too much stupid Klingon talk, and absurdly buried story lines. We came very close to just giving up on the series as another ST disaster.

But we decided to give it another chance. So thankful that we did, because it really developed into something worthwhile! The Klingon speak is still slightly overdone (and very distracting) but the story line and character development is just superb. Really love it! And the design of the star ship is really interesting - very spindly, and the disc is not solid. How cool is that?

My wife and I have been huge ST fans for decades. It's one of the things which brought us together, and helped us stay together for several decades. It's really fun to have new ST to watch which is worthy of praise.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    @zero ,

I thought that the mirror universe from season 1 was the best storyline of both seasons.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My husband bought me a new Apple TV HD for Christmas and I got a month of free CBS All Access so we started watching "Picard" the other night.

Wow! We got sucked in and watched three episodes until 1 a.m., can't wait to watch the rest. Really good!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Hope this happens.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    We finished watching "Picard" last night. *sobbed* OMG. But, I thought it was AWESOME. Can't wait until the next season.

Now my husband wants us to go back and watch the entire "Voyager" series because he never saw any and he'd never seen Seven of Nine.

(I'm okay with that, but I'm gonna watch "Discovery.")
    Last edited by allegro; 05-09-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    We finished watching "Picard" last night. *sobbed* OMG. But, I thought it was AWESOME. Can't wait until the next season.

Now my husband wants us to go back and watch the entire "Voyager" series because he never saw any and he'd never seen Seven of Nine.

(I'm okay with that, but I'm gonna watch "Discovery.")
    i think i talked about it at some point in this thread. voyager was my favorite. the crew felt like my family/friends. and i still really love a lot of it, but parts of it are really hard to watch as an adult, and captain janeway's decision-making is really bad a lot of the time. to the point that sarah ended up mostly disliking her by the end of the series. BUT i still have a big place in my heart for it.

glad you liked picard as much as i did! gonna cancel all access before my free month runs out in a few days and then try to get another free trial when season 2 is done airing so we can binge it haha

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    i think i talked about it at some point in this thread. voyager was my favorite. the crew felt like my family/friends. and i still really love a lot of it, but parts of it are really hard to watch as an adult, and captain janeway's decision-making is really bad a lot of the time. to the point that sarah ended up mostly disliking her by the end of the series. BUT i still have a big place in my heart for it.

glad you liked picard as much as i did! gonna cancel all access before my free month runs out in a few days and then try to get another free trial when season 2 is done airing so we can binge it haha
    Janeway is THE biggest (only?) reason why I disliked Voyager.

I was trying to talk my husband OUT of watching the series, and he pushed back. I realized that I loved many other characters in the series but I disliked the premise of the series; to me, “space, the final frontier” means traveling around on Federation missions meeting interplanetary life, just like the original series and TNG. DS9 to me was just a gas station LOL. Voyager’s REDEMPTION from that deviation for me was: Borg. NOTHING in the ST history scares the fuck out of me more than Borg.

Anyway, I told my husband that Janeway reminded me of crappy women managers I’d had throughout my life: Kate Mulgrew was the wrong choice for the role, she’s wooden and is the same character in every role she plays; she tries too hard and comes across as a crappy woman-in-charge stereotype, kinda like the strong women “In Charge” in the Federation in “Picard” except for Raffi, whom of course they made a bad Mom junkie alcoholic. The men “In Charge” are respected lovable well-rounded and relaxed people making sound decisions. Troi, of course, is another stereotype, always the Earth Mother. I wish for once they had someone like Guinan as Captain. I really DO like the Soji character, though! And I will ALWAYS love Seven! My husband and I are going to rewatch Voyager and he can form his own opinion, and I may change mine, who knows.

Reviews of “Picard” complained about this series having one long storyline vs. random individual typical Trek storylines. We both LOVED this method, PARTICULARLY since people view TV differently, now; we can binge-watch an entire season in one sitting as if it’s one entire story; why not take advantage of that? It makes perfect sense. Nearly all other series are doing the same thing.

The theme song is GREAT. It’s been stuck in my head for days, I’ve been waking up to it each morning in my head. It is perfection.

Last edited by allegro; 05-09-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Exclusive: Jake Cannavale Eyed for James T. Kirk in Captain Pike Series ‘Star Trek: Enterprise’

I love the idea of Mount getting his own show as Captain Pike, as I thought he was awesome and a bright-spot in the uneven season 2 of Discovery. But why the hell would they call this spin-off Star Trek: Enterprise? Did the studio forget that a show with that title already existed from 2001-2005?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It's happening! Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Some details about the upcoming Captain Pike show.
    Says it will be more optimistic and episodic. Sounds awesome.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-16-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Finally got around to seeing season one of ST: Picard. Unfortunately it wasn't for me. But at least Klingons look like Klingons in this show. Credit where it's due...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mike attempts a thorough takedown of Picard. Lotta love for the show in this thread, so I imagine the reaction has been divisive and alot of people fall on one side or the other, not so many in the middle.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I can't watch that video--I loved Picard. But different strokes.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This scene is just too good:

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I love the idea of Mount getting his own show as Captain Pike, as I thought he was awesome and a bright-spot in the uneven season 2 of Discovery. But why the hell would they call this spin-off Star Trek: Enterprise? Did the studio forget that a show with that title already existed from 2001-2005?
    Having started watching Star Trek: Enterprise while we've got CBS All Access, and only being a few episodes into the second season, I can totally understand why CBS would want to erase it from existence.

But I think this is just an error in reporting, and they're talking about Strange New Worlds.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Having started watching Star Trek: Enterprise while we've got CBS All Access, and only being a few episodes into the second season, I can totally understand why CBS would want to erase it from existence.

But I think this is just an error in reporting, and they're talking about Strange New Worlds.
    Yeah, much better title. There are some really good episodes of Enterprise, but the show was pretty uneven.

My favorites:

The Andorian Incident- season 1, episode 7
    Cogenitor--season 2, episode 22
    Twilight--season 3, episode 8
    North Star--Season 3, episode 9
    In a Mirror Darkly, season 4 episodes 18/19

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Mike attempts a thorough takedown of Picard. Lotta love for the show in this thread, so I imagine the reaction has been divisive and alot of people fall on one side or the other, not so many in the middle.

An hour and a half is too long to watch.

For me it's a matter of, do the characters, story, and world stick with me after the episode has ended? ST: Picard never did. It just felt to me like something to watch, but never had me invested or absorbed. I'd describe the show as moody, unclear, and edgy all at once.

The one part that I thought was real messed up, (AND THIS MAY BE A SPOILER!!!) was learning towards the end that they essentially had Data's consciousness trapped all alone, not quite alive or dead. And his only desire was to finally die. Data, all alone, in some kind of digital purgatory. That part just struck me as really cold and weird.