Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    OMG Elisabeth Moss <3! Time to watch the first season because I give a shit all of a sudden.
    She was so great as a detective in Top of the Lake and obviously is a genius as Peggy Olson. Woot woot!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    OMG Elisabeth Moss <3! Time to watch the first season because I give a shit all of a sudden.
    She was so great as a detective in Top of the Lake and obviously is a genius as Peggy Olson. Woot woot!
    oh shit, the first season is SO good.
    so Top of the Lake is pretty good?

BTW, i thought that Brad Pitt was going to be in season 2. was that a false rumor?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

BTW, i thought that Brad Pitt was going to be in season 2. was that a false rumor?
    Yeah, they really quickly said that the Brad Pitt thing was wrong. There have been a ton of rumors going around about this.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Whenever they get their head out of their asses and make the blu-ray below 20.00 I'll happily snap it up. No matter how great the show is, paying 40.00 or so for an 8 episode season is a ripoff.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Whenever they get their head out of their asses and make the blu-ray below 20.00 I'll happily snap it up. No matter how great the show is, paying 40.00 or so for an 8 episode season is a ripoff.
    The cost of TV series in general, especially on Blu Ray, are absurd to me. Have you seen the cost of Game of Thrones sets? The first season is still something like 40 dollars on Amazon used.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The cost of TV series in general, especially on Blu Ray, are absurd to me. Have you seen the cost of Game of Thrones sets? The first season is still something like 40 dollars on Amazon used.
    Those are quality and have more bang for the buck. I paid 40.00 for season one of Game of Thrones and it included the blu-ray set, DVD version and digital code. That's worth it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Those are quality and have more bang for the buck. I paid 40.00 for season one of Game of Thrones and it included the blu-ray set, DVD version and digital code. That's worth it.
    Had no idea they included the DVD, though I really hate that trend of packaging. You can always buy DVDs separately and cheaper, and if you're buying Blu Ray I'd figure you don't really want DVDs, if I could just get a cheaper package of nothing but BRD's I'd take it in a heartbeat. And getting it in a digital format doesn't mean a thing for me, as far as I'm concerned it should be standard and not considered an additional cost.

Does the TD set not have many bonus features? If it had commentaries on all 8, I'd be way more understanding of the cost.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Holy shit! This takes place where I live!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Yes, please, give Vince Vaughn a role to revitalize him. Seriously, I hope it's happening!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

Yeah you're right about that! Just watched the first episode and it's awesome. Also Matthew Mcconaughey looks ridiculously good. I've never thought he was cute until now...Someone pay his character designer.

Top of the Lake is fantastic. It made me realize how much modern narratives especially in that genre sort of don't explore womanhood equally. Idk its like Mad Men where every realistic problem they'd probs have to deal with is there. It's really unique and beautiful, a little slow though. I don't mind that though. True Detective seems to be a little more slow paced even and it doesn't hurt the show at all.

Brad Pitt was a rumor as was Jessica Chastain (sighhhh). Im happy with Vince Vaughn as well. Also Colin Farell an underrated actor imo.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 08-05-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    killer, @littlemonkey613 .
    so you think mcconaughey looks BETTER like that? lol, you must get into that heroin chic look.
    my wife is the opposite...she always had a crush on him and was shocked and disturbed by his appearance in true detective.

Gotdamn, his acting blew me away in true detective...and the interactions between him and woody...they are like a dream team.
    I'm NOT so happy with vince vaughn, but i bet he'll surprise me.

i was hoping to see a role on this show become something that a-list actors are fighting over. Maybe it still will be.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Hopefully theyre shooting locally, would love to get a gig on this! Ive already started prodding the local powers that be...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    This better not be the cast. This better not be the fucking cast.

I wont even watch it until reviews come out if that's the case.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Nic Pizzolatto is being accused of plagiarism

http://lovecraftzine.com/2014/08/04/...ti-and-others/

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I can co.firm that the location is Monterey/Big Sur anf that they are shooting locally, so the casting rumors are probably true as well.

Unfortunately it seems like most of the hiring is done, so thats about as far as i could get.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Prior to Breaking Bad if someone had told me that Bryan Cranston was a great casting choice for a teacher, turned meth cook, turned drug king pin I would have laughed in their face. Over the years I've learned not to underestimate the potential of an actor (Google a dude named Heath Ledger) who is given quality material to work with. Anyone who says they're not gonna watch the first episode of season 2 because of this is full of shit.
    Last edited by BrewHa; 08-07-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    This better not be the cast. This better not be the fucking cast.

I wont even watch it until reviews come out if that's the case.

The reviews are IN! Transformers 4 has made 1 BILLION dollars globally!!! Must be a hit…this is your logic.

On that note, no one really cares if you don't "waste your time" on season 2. I do think Community has a new season though...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    The reviews are IN! Transformers 4 has made 1 BILLION dollars globally!!! Must be a hit…this is your logic.
    Box office gross isn't a review, all the reviews of Transformers 4 have been abysmal. Making a billion dollars technically makes it a hit. I don't think it's an absurd thing to want to wait for reviews about a show if you don't like the cast that has been chosen...

Hopefully Vince Vaughn lays off the cupcakes before this starts shooting.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Box office gross isn't a review, all the reviews of Transformers 4 have been abysmal. Making a billion dollars technically makes it a hit. I don't think it's an absurd thing to want to wait for reviews about a show if you don't like the cast that has been chosen...

Hopefully Vince Vaughn lays off the cupcakes before this starts shooting.

I just don't trust reviews at all. Whether its on a movie, show, album or book. How does one reviewers opinion make or break a show.. "Oh well Siskel says its good so I'll actually watch it." "Well if Pitchfork, hates it, it MUST suck."

"I'll wait to listen to Year Zero until I know what Pitchfork says about it, since TR is doing the whole think on his laptop."

I'll quit ranting, but I hate when people base their opinions on someone ELSE's opinion. What the damn season premiere if you want to…if you like it great, if not great. But "Ill wait for the reviews…why? Take a fucking chance…its literally 45 mins of your life.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    45 minutes that could be spent doing something you know you'll enjoy

Anyway, I've never been a big fan of Collin Farrel, always thought he was douchy, but actors surprising the hell out of me is becoming a theme the past few years so hopefully that will continue. I like Vince Vaughn in a lot of comedies, obviously, not so sure how he'll handle a super dramatic role like what I assume this will be. But again, I'm learning to reserve judgement about actors stepping out of their comfort zone.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Just finished watching the series and it was darkly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Nic Pizzolatto is being accused of plagiarism

http://lovecraftzine.com/2014/08/04/...ti-and-others/
    That sucks, it seems a pretty convincing case. Did the series writer (Pizzolatto) thought he could base the entire tone of the series and its fulcrum, Cohle's character and philosophy, on someone else's material (Ligotti) without anybody noticing? Just get Ligotti's permission dammit, acknowledge him and you're home free!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewHa View Post
    Prior to Breaking Bad if someone had told me that Bryan Cranston was a great casting choice for a teacher, turned meth cook, turned drug king pin I would have laughed in their face. Over the years I've learned not to underestimate the potential of an actor (Google a dude named Heath Ledger) who is given quality material to work with. Anyone who says they're not gonna watch the first episode of season 2 because of this is full of shit.
    I agree. Let's all remember that Matt McC has been toiling through a lot of rom-com crap for awhile. I think Vince Vaughn has it in him to play dark and Colin Farrell has been good and bad - if he keeps off the sauce, I bet he could do well in something like True Detective. I will give it a try - yes I will.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    I just don't trust reviews at all. Whether its on a movie, show, album or book. How does one reviewers opinion make or break a show.. "Oh well Siskel says its good so I'll actually watch it." "Well if Pitchfork, hates it, it MUST suck."

"I'll wait to listen to Year Zero until I know what Pitchfork says about it, since TR is doing the whole think on his laptop."

I'll quit ranting, but I hate when people base their opinions on someone ELSE's opinion. What the damn season premiere if you want to…if you like it great, if not great. But "Ill wait for the reviews…why? Take a fucking chance…its literally 45 mins of your life.
    Stop, you're making yourself look worse.

Critical reviews do matter to a degree. If i'm not interested in seeing something because i believe there's a strong possibility it's going to disappoint me a great deal or waste my time i wont see it unless i'm swayed. In this case if the reviews came back saying "wow, this cast pulls it off" even though i'd still be hesitant i would give it a try with an open mind. If the reviews come back and it's a complete utter bomb i'll skip it.

Now if i thought something looked promising and the reviews were mixed, or even somewhat negative i would still see it. Are we good now? I still think that cast sucks serious balls and i am hopping it is a false rumor.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    HBO and Nic Pizzalotto have responded to the plagiarism accusations. Kind of weird that Pizzalotta doesn't even mention Thomas Ligotti since that seems to be the main source of what he is being accused of plagiarizing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/...sm-allegations

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Totally on board with this. It will very interesting to see how Vaughn will play in a more serious role this time around with Farrell being able to do it pretty well imo. Cannot wait for this show to come back!!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Vaughn started out his career doing some serious roles, like The Cell and Psycho. Somehow he got into being 'the out of shape relatable guy' in comedies, most of which are of dubious quality, but based on his older work I think he could pull off a good dramatic performance in this. Colin Farrell I've always thought was a good actor who picks too many mediocre or bad films, so I believe he'll be fine in this as well.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    Vaughn started out his career doing some serious roles, like The Cell and Psycho. Somehow he got into being 'the out of shape relatable guy' in comedies, most of which are of dubious quality, but based on his older work I think he could pull off a good dramatic performance in this. Colin Farrell I've always thought was a good actor who picks too many mediocre or bad films, so I believe he'll be fine in this as well.

Yea, The Cell is one of my favorite movies with Psycho just sucking hard... I just feel it's been all too long to see him do this and I cannot wait to see how it all pans out. I'm 100% with you on Farrell.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Vince Vaughn is taking a page right out of Matt McC's play book: rom/com to true detective. I totally get it an actually look forward to it. I really really appreciate actors who can sell you into every character they play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewHa View Post
    Prior to Breaking Bad if someone had told me that Bryan Cranston was a great casting choice for a teacher, turned meth cook, turned drug king pin I would have laughed in their face. Over the years I've learned not to underestimate the potential of an actor
    There is much truth here. I'm very curious to see the next season of TD, much like American Horror Story, there is a lot of potential for a show that isn't afraid to re-invent itself every season.

Vince & Colin may not be the most super exciting of leads, but imho both are good enough to pull this off, and possibly really do some amazing work. time will tell.