Page 112 of 150 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 4497

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Album literally hits streaming services in like a half hour. I can wait lol. Cool that you like it though.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Billy keeps calling it a double album... erm.
    It's a long road front to back, really sounds best broken into two parts. On my third listen now.

Title track is ungodly beautiful, might be one of the best things Corgan's ever penned IMO. There's some real artistic maturity showing through on this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Billy keeps calling it a double album... erm.
    I agree completely. 17 tracks and 62 minutes does not seem long enough to justify being labeled as a double album. And neither did Metallica's Hardwired... to Self Destruct, for that matter. What's with bands trying to tell us an album that would fit on a single CD is a double album?
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 11-22-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Maybe they mean double or triple EP?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I agree completely. 17 tracks and 62 minutes does not seem long enough to justify being labeled as a double album. And neither did Metallica's Hardwired... to Self Destruct, for that matter. What's with bands trying to us an album that would fit on a single CD is a double album?

Yeah, but remember that Trent re-defined the parameters of an album with Bad Witch

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I agree completely. 17 tracks and 62 minutes does not seem long enough to justify being labeled as a double album. And neither did Metallica's Hardwired... to Self Destruct, for that matter. What's with bands trying to us an album that would fit on a single CD is a double album?
    It's a shift/regression in the (marketing) language due to the rise of vinyl. Anything over 10-12 tracks and 44 minutes is eligible to be labeled a double-album now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    It's a shift/regression in the (marketing) language due to the rise of vinyl. Anything over 10-12 tracks and 44 minutes is eligible to be labeled a double-album now.
    Yeah, I understand, but I doubt most people got that memo. As far as I'm concerned, it's just an average, conventional album – in number of tracks as well as overall length. Tool didn't try to pull this with Fear Inoculum and that would have actually made sense (mainly for the digital version).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    double albums back in the day (White album comes to mind) are not real long, its just on two vinyls (double). Even Billy has said Mellon Collie having 14 tracks each was really even longer than old double albums.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Do the two parts even differ from each other? Have yet to hear the whole thing.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Are the remasters of old material like Siamese Dream, MCIS, Adore etc worth getting over the original releases? Just the straight CD albums, not the super deluxe editions. They seem a little tricky to track down (especially at a sane price), even though they only came out relatively recently. Remasters are so often blown out and brickwalled.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Are the remasters of old material like Siamese Dream, MCIS, Adore etc worth getting over the original releases? Just the straight CD albums, not the super deluxe editions. They seem a little tricky to track down (especially at a sane price), even though they only came out relatively recently. Remasters are so often blown out and brickwalled.
    Actually, I thought the album remasters themselves sounded quite good and not blown out. The bonus disc material masters were handled by someone else and those are little bit cranked. Not horribly brickwalled like those atrocious Deftones remasters, but definitely a bit louder from the old leaked versions heard. But I think they did a great job on the albums. I actually have all the CD boxsets as well as the hi-res digital for the albums that did get a 24 bit release (Gish, SD, PI, MCIS). Sadly, the Aeroplane Flies High and Adore sets didn't get a hi-res.

Funny thing, a part of me was thinking of selling my CD boxsets. Now I just gotta find a someone that wants all 6 of em. Don't get me wrong, they are great, but I'm a synthhead and synth gear lusting is making me break down.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Remastered Gish and MCIS sound far better, MCIS in particular was made less muddy.

SD and Adore are barely different. Originals are fine, SD had some channel-swapping going on for some weird reason.

Pisces and Aeroplane had different and inferior vocal takes on a few tracks. Seek originals.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Pisces and Aeroplane had different and inferior vocal takes on a few tracks. Seek originals.
    I know Soothe on PI is a different demo version, but which tracks on Aeroplane?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Remastered Gish and MCIS sound far better, MCIS in particular was made less muddy.

SD and Adore are barely different. Originals are fine, SD had some channel-swapping going on for some weird reason.

Thanks for this. Did some more research after posting above and could only find info for MCIS. This helps a ton!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I know Soothe on PI is a different demo version, but which tracks on Aeroplane?
    Dreaming. D'Arcy sounds like she has a cold on the reissued version.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I think Plume might have been a different take too. At the very least the noise at the start before the guitar riff starts goes for a little bit longer.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dreaming. D'Arcy sounds like she has a cold on the reissued version.
    I hate that they used a different mix of Eye on the Adore bonus disc and there's no mention of this. It even labeled as Eye from Lost Highway, but it's clearly a completely different mix. I honestly prefer the original mix. Also, same thing with Glynis, but that was at least labeled a different mix. I just wish they included a remaster of the original version. On the boxset mix, Billy starts giggling at the end of the vocal take he used and it kinda ruins the mood. I like the electronic beat version of Blissed And Gone, but that is missing from the Adore set. We get a drone mix and acoustic version instead. Also, The End Is The Beginning Is The End is missing from the Adore set too, but The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning is included. My one knock against MCIS set is the doubling of tracks that are from the Aeroplane Flies Set (Meladori Magpie, The Aeroplane Flies High, Pennies, Rotten Apples).

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    All is forgiven for the live CD on Aeroplane set.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    All is forgiven for the live CD on Aeroplane set.
    The band is absolutely on fire on that disc, I wish there was more. I have tons of bootlegs from that era, but the mixing on those songs is unbeatable.
    Last edited by Disassociative; 11-24-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I hate that they used a different mix of Eye on the Adore bonus disc and there's no mention of this. It even labeled as Eye from Lost Highway, but it's clearly a completely different mix. I honestly prefer the original mix. Also, same thing with Glynis, but that was at least labeled a different mix. I just wish they included a remaster of the original version. On the boxset mix, Billy starts giggling at the end of the vocal take he used and it kinda ruins the mood. I like the electronic beat version of Blissed And Gone, but that is missing from the Adore set. We get a drone mix and acoustic version instead. Also, The End Is The Beginning Is The End is missing from the Adore set too, but The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning is included. My one knock against MCIS set is the doubling of tracks that are from the Aeroplane Flies Set (Meladori Magpie, The Aeroplane Flies High, Pennies, Rotten Apples).
    The box sets really are a maddening mix of positives and negatives. Track doubling, new mixes nobody asked for, but also never before heard stuff, the odd completely unreleased track and really sweet acoustic or completely different versions of album tracks like Jupiter's Lament barbershop version.

What also kinda makes me crazy is the batshit lack of any kind of logical ordering to the tracks whatsoever. A while ago I reordered everything and put all the Billy solo acoustic stuff on one disc, studio alt takes on another, etc.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    What also kinda makes me crazy is the batshit lack of any kind of logical ordering to the tracks whatsoever. A while ago I reordered everything and put all the Billy solo acoustic stuff on one disc, studio alt takes on another, etc.
    I agree, and I've been tempted to do that. Even when I just had the original box set I ended up deleting the a-sides from the singles and just collapsing the thing into two discs. I can't remember why, i think it made it feel a bit more of a coherent b-sides compilation.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sorry if someone mentioned this before, but it looks like this will be coming out on CD and vinyl on 1/31.
    ETA--Billy's new solo album.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-04-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    It's available to preorder on Amazon now. So much for that '500 CD copies' comment.

Today is 20 years to the day since The Everlasting Gaze single was released.

At this rate I am completely willing to bet that we'll have a new Guns 'N Roses album, 2 new Cure albums + Wish Reissue before this ever sees the light of day

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Hey, maybe Billy's planning a surprise release on the exact 20th anniv-

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Headlining Saturday at Shaky Knees

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Liking that lineup

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    listened to Oceania for the first time in awhile and it wasn't that bad. I don't listen to lyrics usually and even then it's not until I'm more familiar with the song that they start to make sense so all I was really listening to was the band and it was good.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    listened to Oceania for the first time in awhile and it wasn't that bad. I don't listen to lyrics usually and even then it's not until I'm more familiar with the song that they start to make sense so all I was really listening to was the band and it was good.
    Great album, better than the last one, not even close.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Anyone here who picked up Jeff's Night Dreamer - Treasure EP that would like to share it thru PM? I couldn't find it on any stores in lossless.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Off topic, but you're the first person I've come across who listens to music the same way I do. I listen to albums that just sound good to my ears, lyrics are secondary.