Page 11 of 150 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    *hands in face*

Why did I give Chris Corner so much money yesterday?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Vinyl and Deluxe, preordered. I might reserve a holiday for this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks fantastic for sure, but to echo earlier statements...this has to mean the Adore special edition is up next. Next year's the 15th anniversary...perfect timing. Cannot wait for that shit.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    So vancouver's cancelled Oct 7th show gets rescheduled in Missoula, MT ~ Wilma Theatre instead

Thanks for doing everything you could to the fans that bought tickets in Vancouver Billy Corgan and friends.
    This just shows he just cares about the money and not the fans. Apparently this place in Montanna is a tiny ass little theatre. They totally could have come up with another venue in Vancouver if they pulled this together last minute.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/1...ouver-concert/

"UPDATE (Oct. 2): While we still have not been provided with a reason for the show’s cancellation, the band has apparently just announced a concert in Missoula, Montana, on Oct. 7. Details here: http://www.crestfallen.com/2012/10/0...ng-to-montana/"

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    This just shows he just cares about the money and not the fans. They totally could have come up with another venue in Vancouver if they pulled this together last minute.
    those are some strong claims for someone not in the band/in the band's camp. why do people automatically assume it's all about greed and money? shit happens, problems arise. touring and scheduling isn't as easy as fans would like it to be, so sometimes things go awry and they have to do the best they can to accommodate. would be nice to see a statement from the band though, i'll give you that.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 10-02-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    Also this is a minor complaint but why is the Brixton show only 10 songs? To keep it to one disc? Thought we were getting a full show.
    yeah, i just looked up the full show on youtube and this is MINDBLOWING:

Acoustic Set:

Tonight, Tonight
    In the Arms of Sleep*
    Cupid de Locke
    Thirty-three
    Rocket*
    Soma*
    Take Me Down*
    Beautiful*
    Muzzle*

Electric Set:

Where Boys Fear to Tread*
    Zero
    Fuck You*
    Here is No Why
    To Forgive
    Today*
    Thru the Eyes of Ruby
    Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
    Bodies* (Fades in)
    Boys Don't Cry [The Cure] (tease)*
    Disarm
    Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    Cherub Rock

Encore One:
    Firestarter [The Prodigy] (tease)*
    X.Y.U.*

Encore Two:
    Mayonaise*

Encore Three:
    Jellybelly
    Silverfuck (Space Jam)*
    Farewell and Goodnight*
    i can't believe they played that long. that's absolutely incredible. i wish they would release a pro-shot show if that length from that era. that's crazy.

here's a question...the extra tracks are very cool, but does this album really need to be remastered? its not that old, and sounds gorgeous. it's not like they cut corners or something.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    those are some strong claims for someone not in the band/in the band's camp. why do people automatically assume it's all about greed and money? shit happens, problems arise. touring and scheduling isn't as easy as fans would like it to be, so sometimes things go awry and they have to do the best they can to accommodate. would be nice to see a statement from the band though, i'll give you that.
    Well, it's quite clear it was due to low ticket sales. The promoter (Golden Voice) Overshot with booking the arena, and they didn't get the exact turn out they were looking for. In Winnipeg, They even had to move the stage up 2/3's from it's original posiiton and close the top row and move anyone's ticket's the section down who bought for the upper bowl so they could "fill the space" more.

The local radio station even said they were not sure why the promoter pulled out as sales were on par with the other citys, plus Vancouver was usually a "buy at the last minute / day of the show" kind of city, and they would be guarenteed to fill the space.

There were multiple things they could have done in this case, offer a "buy one get one free" or Groupon option if they were concerned about low sales.
    They could have even changed the venue, if it didn't hurt them to take a new smaller venue elsewhere, i'm not sure what the issue was finding a new spot here.
    Funny thing is, they're going to be making less money at the other show. They are selling tickets at $37 each, where here they were $90 each and there were already over 5,000 people who purchased tickets.

I just think the promoter knew they weren't going to break even with this, so instead of having to pay the band whatever fee they asked for, they decided to just pull out altogether. I'm sure the band is just as pissed off as the fans in this case, because they had to fill a 5 day off slot now with a random show out of the blue. The tour crew gets paid by the day, they couldn't just sit around for 5 days and not play a show.

I think the band wanted to play, but it still comes down to money. Sure, it's probably unfair to blame the band at this point, the scapegoat should be the promoter at this point. But part of me still thinks the band should have tried to do SOMETHING to pull through for all the 5000+ people that DID buy tickets.

Stuff like this sucks downright no matter who the artist and fan is, as is makes the artist resented by the fan, especially people who have been waiting years for a chance to see the band and can't always follow the band around where they go.

I think the addition of the other city being added was just a total punch in the face to all the fans while we were already down. But yeah, at this point an appology on the Smashing pumpkins site, or a tweet or something would be nice by the band to show they really do care. But to them it seems like, "oh well, just another show we can play elsewhere, it doesn't matter"

I'm starting to think The Pumpkins just have bad karma when it comes to playing in Vancouver. back in 1996, they were scheduled to play the SAME arena (at that time it was called GM place) but they had to cancel that show as well. Then when they came in 2007 and played the PNE forum, a fan died in the most pit!

**UPDATE**

Here is an update based on someone that got back from the Winnipeg show tonight:

Sad turn-out. Talked to security guard friend who worked the show - only 4000 tickets sold, a few HUNDRED were given away. The pit was barely half full, the top stands were closed, and holes everywhere in the seats.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 10-03-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    OK, here's a review & setlist of the show in Winnipeg: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/10/0...-at-mts-centre

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    i can't believe they played that long. that's absolutely incredible. i wish they would release a pro-shot show if that length from that era. that's crazy.

here's a question...the extra tracks are very cool, but does this album really need to be remastered? its not that old, and sounds gorgeous. it's not like they cut corners or something.
    uhhh, this album needs a lot more than remastering, but that's a start. the production approach between SD and MCIS is a gigantic step down. despite the guitar tone being ten million times better, the raw approach hinders gigantic songs like "Tonight, Tonight," "Bodies," and "Porcelina." where it fits songs like "Jellybelly" and "XYU," the raw approach makes the more decorated and layered songs like "By Starlight," "1979" and "Beautiful" sound further out of place. it wouldn't be MCIS without being so schizophrenic and varied, true, but Flood's mixing went in a direction that just didn't match the enormous sound of the band — even Machina's production does that much better, for all the other problems it has.

i suspect most people would disagree, but also that those opinions are steeped in the nostalgia and impact of hearing MCIS at important and impressionable moments in youth that cause serious clinginess and obsession still. i realize MCIS is a monument in music everywhere, but it certainly isn't perfect (hello "We Only Come Out at Night"), and it had correctable flaws caused by deadlines that were obvious the day it came out.

kinda sad they're putting the normal tracklist on the vinyl. i wanted the original vinyl tracklist without having to shell out $200 on an original copy. everything else looks fantastic.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i agree about the need for remastered sound on mellon collie. while many of the songs are triumphs for the band, i've always felt that the production was too raw and muddy on certain tracks- as you say a plus for the more visceral songs and a deterement to the more melodic ones. and i do generally love flood, but vastly prefer butch vig's production to what would come to be on mellon collie. i'm hopeful, but also nervous given the various sound and glitch issues that plagued the pisces i scariot reissue...but i reckon that there will be a lot more care going into this one.

speaking of the vinyl edition- and i may have overlooked it--- is "infinite sadness" *not* among the bonus tracks on the cds? that's a bizarre omission, as it's only been officially released on the itunes b-sides and rarities set and the original vinyl...

MANBURNING- you nailed what i was getting at-- that this was likely a promotor's bad call and that i feel sometimes people feel more betrayed by the band than they should, when in actuality there are a lot of other factors involved, some of which we know absolutely nothing about. it's also easy to offer contingency plans, with a lot of focus on hindsight, and it also has a lot to do with the artist/fan relationship and how there is an unspoken code of conduct that constantly changes. i'm no great BC defender, but at the same time, i think some of the antagonistic remarks he's made over the years paint a very interesting picture about him being a selfish tyrant. i'm sure it's true to an extent, but there's just as many statements that testify here to his character and general caring to fans and friends (see allegro's posts a few pages back), it's just easy to focus on the negative, call the man crazy, and project a lot of negativity on the guy since he has a less-than-stellar media presence.

if anything, charging $37 for the newly added show kind of proves that it wasn't a greed move, or they'd charge the same for the downgraded venue. it would definitely be good of the band to offer a statement- even if it's a blind apology.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    as an aside, it's too bad to see that some of the really rare nuggets (soot and stars, luna, etc.) haven't made it to this leg of the tour so far. hoping that changes as it progresses. would be curious to hear what songs are being performed backstage for the meet & greet portion...

nevermind, from setlist.fm:
    1. there it goes
    2. plume
    3. quiet

(that's more like it)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i agree about the need for remastered sound on mellon collie. while many of the songs are triumphs for the band, i've always felt that the production was too raw and muddy on certain tracks- as you say a plus for the more visceral songs and a deterement to the more melodic ones. and i do generally love flood, but vastly prefer butch vig's production to what would come to be on mellon collie. i'm hopeful, but also nervous given the various sound and glitch issues that plagued the pisces i scariot reissue...but i reckon that there will be a lot more care going into this one.

speaking of the vinyl edition- and i may have overlooked it--- is "infinite sadness" *not* among the bonus tracks on the cds? that's a bizarre omission, as it's only been officially released on the itunes b-sides and rarities set and the original vinyl...
    Bob Ludwig apparently mastered the entirety of this set, a change from the usual setup of the other reissues where Ludwig handled the actual albums' remastering and someone else did the bonus discs. this hopefully ensures better consistency — the problems from the PI reissue mostly seem to bloom out of Howie Weinberg's shitty brickwalling of the bonus disc and also some manufacturing issues.

and indeed, "Infinite Sadness" is not among the MCIS bonuses. odd to leave it off. perhaps it was forgotten or simply left to the Aeroplane reissue, which will obviously see less sales. maybe there was a cockeyed EMI suit bothering BC about trying to keep the MCIS bonus discs for album songs and new stuff, where TAFH could be left with the lesser material... or BC decided it himself!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just preordered the deluxe 6 disc set on amazon for $146, which I thought seemed a bit high. I figured it'd be around $75-$90. Hopefully the packaging is mindblowing.

I'm satisfied with the bonus track listing and very excitied for it, though as it was said earlier I am confused as to the omission of "infinite sadness". I also would have liked to have seen "depresso" and that instrumental version of "mouths of babes" all cleaned up and mastered. Maybe they'll be on the aeroplane flies high reissue.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just preordered the deluxe 6 disc set on amazon for $146, which I thought seemed a bit high. I figured it'd be around $75-$90. Hopefully the packaging is mindblowing.

I'm satisfied with the bonus track listing and very excitied for it, though as it was said earlier I am confused as to the omission of "infinite sadness", especially since it was on the original vinyl version. I also would have liked to have seen "depresso" and that instrumental version of "mouths of babes" all cleaned up and mastered. Maybe they'll be on the aeroplane flies high reissue.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    depresso! yes! hopefully on TAFH...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    depresso! yes! hopefully on TAFH...

haha absolutely! Depresso is such a cool, little moody piece. I remember listening to it constantly on repeat back in the day, always wondered why they never did anything with it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    146 is a little too much for me...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I'd be confounded if 'Infinite Sadness' wasn't present in some way shape or form on the TAFH reissue at least...but it still seems impossible for it not to be here. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 'MCIS (nighttime version)' could be an alternate title for it, seeing as how it comes on the tail end of the 'Twilight to Starlight' half of the album/the vinyl's 'starlight' portion.

Then again, Not Worth Asking and Honeyspider II were absolutely nowhere to be found on Pisces Iscariot's reissue.

It was also on Mashed Potatoes as the very last track. There's always the possibility that's getting a far distant commercial release in some form and it's being saved for that (snort).

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    this is too much music to sift through. this is why i never attempted to get into Lil Wayne, too intimidating.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    these sets are clearly aimed at the hardcore fan, who welcome all the additional material. if you just want to get into the band casually, just grab one of the regular disc editions, past or present.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    no, im a huge Pumpkins fan...have all the records. but man, that's alot of demos and stuff.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just wanted to let everyone know that, even with shipping, i saved about $65 on the Mellon Collie box set & vinyl (purchased together) because i bought them on amazon.ca (would have been over $200 with free shipping from amazon.com, was only $140 with shipping on amazon.ca)

seems like they generally have better deals on box sets, because i saved a lot on the Pisces box, too.

unfortunately, they wouldn't let me use my amazon.com gift card. oh well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Meh. I'll just download it for $140. No, wait, download it for free. It's just a cash-grab anyway, as all reissues are. Now, the Adore reissue. I may pay money for that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    just wanted to let everyone know that, even with shipping, i saved about $65 on the Mellon Collie box set & vinyl (purchased together) because i bought them on amazon.ca (would have been over $200 with free shipping from amazon.com, was only $140 with shipping on amazon.ca)

seems like they generally have better deals on box sets, because i saved a lot on the Pisces box, too.

unfortunately, they wouldn't let me use my amazon.com gift card. oh well!
    Yep I pre-ordered from amazon.ca as well. Much cheaper inclusive of international shipping.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
    Meh. I'll just download it for $140. No, wait, download it for free. It's just a cash-grab anyway, as all reissues are. Now, the Adore reissue. I may pay money for that.
    your statements are contradictory and confusing...

either way, i collect box sets. it's how i spend my money. i like having something large and tangible to go along with my favourite music. it's why i got the Minotaur box set by Pixies and TGWTDT box set by trent & atticus. i love extravagant packaging and rare items. and mellon collie is such a masterpiece. the fact that it's finally getting a domestic release on vinyl is pretty incredible, too. so i'm excited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    your statements are contradictory and confusing...

either way, i collect box sets. it's how i spend my money. i like having something large and tangible to go along with my favourite music. it's why i got the Minotaur box set by Pixies and TGWTDT box set by trent & atticus. i love extravagant packaging and rare items. and mellon collie is such a masterpiece. the fact that it's finally getting a domestic release on vinyl is pretty incredible, too. so i'm excited.

Yeah, I see your point. I just don't think the MCIS box set reissue is really offering us anything new. In some form or shape or demo or bedroom recording, we already have all these songs. There are a handful of MCIS demo bootlegs already available out there. I just want the all elusive Adore-era Let Me Give the World to You studio recording. It's like the holy grail of pumpkin land, but I'm sure you know that already. Plus, I also want Eye demos. The more, the better.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yeah I want this box set. But I am not paying $150 for it. FUCK that. And I'm a die hard pumpkin fan.

Thankfully it's already come down to 99 on amazon.ca. I have confidence it will drop even lower at some point in the next two months. Possibly a Christmas sale after the release. I was patient for Pisces and that paid off, and I can't imagine the price going up. They didn't produce a limited amount of these so they will eventually need to price them to move.

The Vinyl set is currently 65.99 but was apparently listed for less than $30 bucks the other day but it only lasted about an hour before they fixed it. Now THAT would have been a steal.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    The Vinyl set is currently 65.99 but was apparently listed for less than $30 bucks the other day but it only lasted about an hour before they fixed it. Now THAT would have been a steal.
    when i pre-ordered it, it was only $30. hence how i saved over $65! i don't think i knew how lucky i got with that until just now, because it is back up to $70.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i presume everyone got the cancelation notice of the amazon.ca order, and then the offer to buy it again once they sorted out that mess? you had to act fast, but i think it worked out in the end for most.

anyway, sifting through a 128kbps leak of the bonus discs now. obviously lacking in quality, but i'll chalk it up to the idiot who ripped it so poorly. some excellent stuff though, worth the price of admission.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yeah, i managed to "live-chat" with a really lovely amazon representative who was able to put the vinyl back on my order for the same $28. it seems the availability of the vinyl has disappeared again...but it's still in my order and shows that it will ship on the 4th. i hope this works out...