Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1648

Thread: Gone Girl (2014)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    I find myself returning to Consummation a lot. Such an ominous track! Haven't seen the movie yet, nor have I read the book, but judging from the track title and the music it must be a disturbing scene.
    I've been playing that a lot in the car too. Almost like I'm expecting that would be the soundtrack to a car wreck or something.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Saw this last night - loved the film, though the ending is a little meh. Have been really enjoying the score over the last couple of weeks, and seeing it in it's rightful place was very satisfying, so many times I was smiling when I shouldn't have been! For the people saying that the score was more in the background this time, couldn't disagree more. I thought the score was upfront, but just perfectly pitched. This may now be my favourite score they've done, took a bit of getting used to, but now I'm hooked!

Side note - one of the producers was Reese Witherspoon.....how bizarre!

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    I'm sorry if this has been posted already. I haven't been able to keep up with the board much recently.

I haven't listened to it yet, but based on the preview I heard, Fincher discusses the music in his films, including TSN, GG, and the Closer remix in Se7en:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ksdx3

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Haven't seen it posted yet, nice find.

Saw the film last night, it's the best implemented score Trentticus have done so far by a VAST margin. It fits very naturally into the film, and changes accordingly to what's happening in a scene.
    As a stand-alone piece of music though, I think it gets wearing in the second half - there aren't enough strong melodies later on, and are too many reprises. Social Network still stands apart from the rest as a solo album.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Haven't seen it posted yet, nice find.

Saw the film last night, it's the best implemented score Trentticus have done so far by a VAST margin. It fits very naturally into the film, and changes accordingly to what's happening in a scene.
    As a stand-alone piece of music though, I think it gets wearing in the second half - there aren't enough strong melodies later on, and are too many reprises. Social Network still stands apart from the rest as a solo album.
    Very much agreed with this. As a piece in service to the film, yes, Gone Girl is the best out of the three. As a stand alone album, The Social Network is still the best. The other thing to note, this is the first TR/AR soundtrack with not a strong opening musical piece. "Hand Covers Bruise" and "Immigrant Song" were awesome ways to start those two movies, those two helped me to get amped up with the film, not so much with "What Have we Done to Each Other?"

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Just from cinema, liked it. The music certainly added an extra dimension to what's happening on the screen, i hope the CD packaging features Nick and Amy and some other faces, that advocate and that cop for example are great characters too. Though i don't pin any specific tracks to any actors, Affleck is in each of them for me now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Very much agreed with this. As a piece in service to the film, yes, Gone Girl is the best out of the three. As a stand alone album, The Social Network is still the best. The other thing to note, this is the first TR/AR soundtrack with not a strong opening musical piece. "Hand Covers Bruise" and "Immigrant Song" were awesome ways to start those two movies, those two helped me to get amped up with the film, not so much with "What Have we Done to Each Other?"
    I find that the opening title works very well for Gone Girl. Both the film and book start in a questioning way, "What have we done to each other? What will we do?". 'What Have We Done To Each Other?' invokes that same sense of "questioning" thought, to me.

Agree completely that GG is the best score/film synergy of the three thus far. However, comparing 'The Social Network' to 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' is similar to comparing 'The Richard D. James Album' to 'Selected Ambient Works, Vol. II'. What is "better" will always be subjective, despite things such as length and intensity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    I find myself returning to Consummation a lot. Such an ominous track! Haven't seen the movie yet, nor have I read the book, but judging from the track title and the music it must be a disturbing scene.
    That scene and track in the film are fucking intense. Many people in my audience actually gagged.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been posted already. I haven't been able to keep up with the board much recently.

I haven't listened to it yet, but based on the preview I heard, Fincher discusses the music in his films, including TSN, GG, and the Closer remix in Se7en:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ksdx3
    Is it just me or did they play In Motion too fast?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    What is it with these 'film score aficionados' who think they know better than directors what music to use in their films?

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/10/06/go...-atticus-ross/

Completely weird to be that into film scores anyway, why not just listen to classical music that's written to be listened to on its own if you like it that much

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    What is it with these 'film score aficionados' who think they know better than directors what music to use in their films?

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/10/06/go...-atticus-ross/

Completely weird to be that into film scores anyway, why not just listen to classical music that's written to be listened to on its own if you like it that much
    The greatest film composers all wrote film scores which worked in their films, but also took audiences on a journey. They were storytellers, almost as much as the director and screenwriter were. They were able to convey complex emotions to the audience – either overtly, in direct response to the images on the screen, or covertly, playing to the subtext or the hidden meaning of a scene. They were able to make the audience feel for the characters they were watching, and empathize with whatever situation the characters were in: love, exhilaration, danger, sadness, loss, freedom. And then they were able to pour years of musicality into their work, using interesting and intelligent compositional techniques to make their music satisfying on an intellectual level as well as an emotional one, guiding the audience through what may be difficult narrative ideas with structured thematic design, and recurring motifs, whether they be melodic or textural. From my point of view, it is when being judged under these criteria that Reznor and Ross fail entirely – not only here, but over the course of their entire film music career together.
    wow, what an a-hole.

he really just comes off sounding like a snob who doesn't like anything but orchestral film scores.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wow, what an a-hole.

he really just comes off sounding like a snob who doesn't like anything but orchestral film scores.
    I read his Social Network soundtrack review and he liked it though, it's like he's backtracked since it won the Oscar

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wow, what an a-hole.

Don't take him too seriously. It's not like he's a journalist, or even someone with professional music credentials. He's just some dude with a blog on the Internet. He's actually a banker.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Don't take him too seriously. It's not like he's a journalist, or even someone with professional music credentials. He's just some dude with a blog on the Internet. He's actually a banker.
    Yeah this is his social network review

http://moviemusicuk.us/2010/11/18/th...tticus-ross-2/

Its like all his film score blog mates ostracised him till he went on-message

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona Radiata View Post
    I immediately thought it sounded like Robin was playing on Technically, Missing.

I want the album credits for this shit.
    That's got Trent written all over it. Very TDTWWA.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    That scene and track in the film are fucking intense. Many people in my audience actually gagged.
    Bit of an overreaction!!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    At Risk is "album only" track in itunes, can somebody say why?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    At Risk is "album only" track in itunes, can somebody say why?
    Because it's long.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Bit of an overreaction!!
    eh, i beg to differ. almost the entire audience in my (very large) theater collectively gasped, and at least half of us covered our mouths with our hands. i felt like i could potentially be sick. it was pretty intense.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Finally getting around to listening to this.

On At Risk now, and initial reaction: hello, new tour bus soundtrack. This will be great for those 3:00AM rides in the jump seat, driving through who knows where, watching whatever the landscape has to offer. And then crawling into a coffin-sized bunk to get a little sleep.

This doesn't strike me as something I'll go to much just to hear a particular song at some random time, but as more of...well...a soundtrack. Yeah, I know. But there are songs from both TSN and TGWTDT that I'll pull up just because I feel like hearing them. This one, so far, feels a bit more like something to play in the background. Which is by no means a dig at it, because I'm really enjoying it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    Last week I fell asleep listening to the sound track and woke up in the middle of Consummation. Scary as fuck and I felt nauseous.

Brilliant.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    POTENTIAL SPOILER

Not knocking TR or Fincher…
    but does the "Consummation" scene seem VERY similar to this reveal from Prometheus?

Not on in style, but editing, and the music?

I mean I just re-watched this with Consummation playing and…it works just as well. haha
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 10-09-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I'm sorry if it's been addressed before, but I don't have the brainpower to go through all 34 pages of this thread...
    So why isn't the physical CD/vinyl release scheduled for the same time the movie is in the theaters?! Just stuck me as strange.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    There's no stated reason for it. Maybe art assets weren't ready in time or something - that might explain the lack of a PDF.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I'm sorry if it's been addressed before, but I don't have the brainpower to go through all 34 pages of this thread...
    So why isn't the physical CD/vinyl release scheduled for the same time the movie is in the theaters?! Just stuck me as strange.
    not sure about the CD, but vinyl production is at a level it hasn't seen in i don't even know how long. so much stuff is getting pressed, and there are only a few pressing plants in the US. the amount of time it takes to press a batch of records is a fixed amount of time. there's no rushing the process. so everything is taking longer and longer, which is shitty for when you're trying to get something pressed (just put down the deposit for my band's record on tuesday, received an estimate of 12-18 weeks), but great for people like me who prefer buying all of their music on vinyl.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    He's actually a banker.
    Lol. He should stick to finance. Dial-up modem? Ya, but even if there was a dial-up sound used in any of his stuff..he would make it sound freaking cool. Lol..don't wanna see what's in this dude's playlist.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    He's actually a banker.
    not that there's anything wrong with that

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Im a completist and I NEED a copy of the SEALED Gone Girl FYC album.

When did the TSN and TGWTDT FYC albums begin showing up after the initial release?

And if anyone has any "inside" help in getting on, please PM me as I am very anxious to snag this. You will be compensated.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Im a completist and I NEED a copy of the SEALED Gone Girl FYC album.

When did the TSN and TGWTDT FYC albums begin showing up after the initial release?

And if anyone has any "inside" help in getting on, please PM me as I am very anxious to snag this. You will be compensated.
    Sealed? The whole point of them is to be opened to judge for awards