Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone Girl (2014)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I'm 2/3 of the way through the book right now, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the movie pans out because it almost feels like the score is, at points, way too dark and ominous for what I'm reading....although from all of this thread's indicators, 'Consummation' will indeed score something very unpleasant. Hell, one listen made me uncomfortable. Looking/not looking forward to that...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona Radiata View Post
    I'm surprised people haven't been talking about Secrets more. I think that might be my current favorite track from this album.
    It's up there, certainly, for me. Strange Activities is my fave though. Lovely little ditty.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    'Consummation' will indeed score something very unpleasant. Hell, one listen made me uncomfortable. Looking/not looking forward to that...

Giggle...yeah saw it last night and my fiance's face during that scene was priceless. I will say I was taken aback as well, as Fincher takes said scene and delivers it more than the actual book does.

I absolutely loved the film and how the score fit in.

My only peeve with the score now is that the track titles aren't original like those of TSN & TGWTDT...where as these are titled as blatant signs on the roadmap of the story.

Granted some are a tad catchy but most are quoted within the book or film...no biggie though.

GO SEE THE DAMN THING IN THEATERS!

EDIT: And I have to say, I didnt really care about Margo in the book, but I absolutely LOVED the character in the film. Carrie Coon did such a great job with Margo.

EDIT2: Back to the topic of the score, especially Consummation and Consummation (Reprise) aka the track at the end of At Risk..I just relistened to it on my iPod and originally loved it...now after seeing the way Fincher used said "Reprise" in the film, it gives me fucking goosebumps and actually makes me very uneasy.

When you see the film, you'll know what I'm talking about. Without giving any spoilers away...Fincher is such as master because he can take an action we have seen in NUMEROUS films and just make it absolutely disturbingly graphic yet somehow so damn memorable...
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 10-04-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I've read the book but can't remember a specific scene to which "consummation" might refer. Could someone spell it out for me please, in spoiler tags?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I've read the book but can't remember a specific scene to which "consummation" might refer. Could someone spell it out for me please, in spoiler tags?
    Spoiler: BOY GETS GIRL BACK (or vice versa) aka the demise of Desi...

EDIT: Spoiler: Consummation really covers the scenes previous to the spoiler above...and the Consummation (Reprise) aka the hidden At Risk track is from the scene above.
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 10-04-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just watched the movie and it was amazing. I can't get over how Consummation fit into the movie and how I will never be able to listen to that song again without just stopping whatever I may be doing while I remember everything. Also, The Way He Looks At Me on the first couple of listens had me thinking it was going to fall somewhere else in the film, but holy shit I'm glad I was wrong because the way that song worked with that scene was intense and EXACTLY the vibe I got from the song.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    EDIT2: Back to the topic of the score, especially Consummation and Consummation (Reprise) aka the track at the end of At Risk..I just relistened to it on my iPod and originally loved it...now after seeing the way Fincher used said "Reprise" in the film, it gives me fucking goosebumps and actually makes me very uneasy.
    Consummation (Reprise) already did a good job of making me uneasy, but yes, the film took that to a new level.

The building, "pulsing" distortion on the synth starts to make me wonder about my eardrums as the volume increases to an uncomfortable level. Playing the 3 minutes of silence before the reprise helps seal the mood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Listened to the soundtrack a couple times before seeing the movie. I've never read the book. That being said, I thought the movie was very very good. One of the few movies I have seen in recent memory that I was still thinking about the morning after seeing it.

I'll put this next part as a spoiler for those who haven't seen the movie, since song titles might give away something, but, after seeing the movie, if I had to pick a group of songs that I think captured the mood of the movie overall, it would be the following:
    Spoiler:
    Like Home
    Technically, Missing
    Consummation
    Like Home (again)

​End Spoiler.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Okay, can anybody please help me locate an interview that was out there last week (which i cannot find now)?

It's an interview with Fincher in which the person interviewing is saying something along the lines of "Trent said this film was darker than he had expected" or "Trent called this a nasty film", and then Fincher reflected on Trent's words. Just can't find it now.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    CBS interview

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for that video. Hadn't seen that yet!
    Last edited by GoodSoldier333; 10-04-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    CBS interview
    Wow, they got that up rather quick. Too bad it wasn't during the work week so we could have seen Trent with Charlie Rose.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Double post, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSoldier333 View Post
    Okay, can anybody please help me locate an interview that was out there last week (which i cannot find now)?

It's an interview with Fincher in which the person interviewing is saying something along the lines of "Trent said this film was darker than he had expected" or "Trent called this a nasty film", and then Fincher reflected on Trent's words. Just can't find it now.
    Full interview on Film Comment:

I read that Trent Reznor [who wrote the score] said this is a really, really dark movie. Do you think it is?

I think there are certain conceits in the kind of story and the storytelling… Well, let’s put it this way, I think he read the book or part of the book and he felt kind of the way you do. This is not me, it’s about Midwesterners or this writer who returns to this small town. And then when it got to the third act, as absurd as some of it is, it began to resonate with him. That was shocking to him because he thought at first that Fincher’s doing a popcorn movie. He hadn’t read the script so he hadn’t realized that once we had pruned back, we didn’t have Desi’s mother and we didn’t have more than an impression of Amy’s parents—they are much more caustic in the movie because they have only two or three scenes. Their suffocating presence in her life becomes more crystalline. And I think he was expecting to see something that was more polite.

Or more National Lampoon?

You don’t get much from Trent when you show him stuff. He’s cagey that way. But when he came out of the screening, he was laughing, almost giddily. And he said: “That’s so sinister in what it’s talking about. It makes me feel bad about myself.” I don’t really want to speak for Trent because he’s wildly articulate.

But I'm not sure yet what you think the tone of the movie has.

I think there were people on the crew who thought we were making Fatal Attraction. One of those Paramount thrillers of the late Eighties or early Nineties.

It’s definitely not that.

But there are these TV spots that all dance the same gig. Have you seen the trailer? Does it seem as if it’s selling the proper aspect of the movie that could possibly hook people without giving anything away? One of the things it took six months to negotiate in my deal was that they couldn’t use anything in the trailers of Amy past reel four. Because if you do, you ruin the movie. People go to the movies to discover things. They want to see actors as they’ve never seen them before and to see them in situations you never imagined them in because hopefully you never imagined seeing yourself in that situation. I need that sense of discovery when I look at movies.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I need to donate to the site. I've got a lot of facepalming to catch up on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've listened to the score at a minimum of twice a day since it's come out... I'm now afraid of the movie ruining the imagery or mood my mind has began to trigger for each track... Lol

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Gone Girl

Quote Originally Posted by jonhedoesitqueefer View Post
    The main thing the movie ruins is the music. Especially if you've listened to it before hand in your car or on loud speakers. Because when you see the movie, the score is NOT loud at all. It's basically a faint background noise.
    Yeah that does seem strange for a film score to not be much louder and to only be a compliment to the imagery you see on screen. How was it you said? Background noise? Pun intended

Please note the extreme sarcasm

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    CBS interview
    Must remember to watch this when I get home. At the cinema now, whoop!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm surprised at the comments re: the score being background noise. It's not as upfront as TSN, which was a score-driven movie, but it's definitely there. During Amy and Nick's first meeting, I couldn't even hear the dialogue because the score was overwhelming. (In a good way, it seemed like they were making the viewer struggle to hear the characters like in the night club scene in TSN.) And then obviously as the reveals come/we enter the third act, the music becomes more and more of a character.

I know TSN spoiled us, but these movies aren't supposed to be the TR/AR show.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yea, the score was out-front in some places and not so much in others. I think some of these comments on here stem from the one huge track on the OST being so quiet (which I'm sure we all expected to hear in the film with a big bang). But to be fair, there was a lot of dialogue over it so there you go.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Been listening to the soundtrack non-stop this week.

Went and saw the movie earlier today. It's phenomenal to begin with. One of the best book adaptions in a long time. Then again, it helps that Gillian Flynn who wrote the book also handled the screenplay. If you've read the book, you know how insane the ending is. It got tweaked just a bit for the movie. Still fucked up.

The soundtrack itself added a greater atmosphere to each and every scene that the music is on. Easily TR+AR have topped themselves yet again.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSoldier333 View Post
    Yea, the score was out-front in some places and not so much in others. I think some of these comments on here stem from the one huge track on the OST being so quiet (which I'm sure we all expected to hear in the film with a big bang). But to be fair, there was a lot of dialogue over it so there you go.
    Do you mean Spoiler: Technically, Missing

Also, it appears that the vinyl wont be out until 2015

http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Vinyl-Tre...one+girl+vinyl

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yep, that one!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Weird, because I (and a couple of total non-TR/AR-fan friends) thought that was the most musically memorable sequence in the flick.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Yeah that does seem strange for a film score to not be much louder and to only be a compliment to the imagery you see on screen.
    Yeah, it's almost like they did that on purpose. 0_0

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I enjoyed the previous two OSTs Trent/Atticus made, but something about Gone Girl feels off to me. The near-complete lack of percussion is certainly a perplexing omission. I'm all for atmospheric piano-driven music, but a lot of these tracks could have had more bite if more was added to the formula. Social Network and TGWTDT did a great job of mixing tender piano-based tracks with the more hard-edge cinematic thriller-type compositions, making Gone Girl feel very diluted in comparison.

I'm sure the soundtrack is great in terms of how it fit into the movie, but as a standalone work there's simply not enough going on to hold my attention. It's like they drew from the same well one too many times, came up empty halfway through, and were too stubborn to look for more water elsewhere. Other than a few tracks ("Technically, Missing" of course) the bulk of this collection can be downright meandering at times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Must just be my overwhelming Reznor fan-boy-ism, but I actually enjoy the score more than the movie.... I enjoyed the movie, but I probably have maybe one more viewing of it left in me... I rarely watch a complete movie multiple times.. That score though... Can't get enough.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    CD has now popped up on Amazon UK, £13.99
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gone-Girl-So...irl+soundtrack

no vinyl yet though.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan View Post
    CD has now popped up on Amazon UK, £13.99
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gone-Girl-So...irl+soundtrack

no vinyl yet though.
    The artist is "Trent & Atticus Ross Reznor". Wasn't aware they'd taken each other's name.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The artist is "Trent & Atticus Ross Reznor". Wasn't aware they'd taken each other's name.
    Well, they DO make a good couple...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Actually, it's Trent "& Atticus Ross" Reznor. "& Atticus Ross" is just a nickname.

That's why people on TV/radio never mention that Atticus worked on the soundtrack.