Page 23 of 55 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone Girl (2014)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    NYFF are getting a preview of the film tomorrow, anyone going to hear this in context?
    I'm seeing it Monday here in KC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    (I haven't read anything in this thread yet since today's GG release, but I just wanted to share my thought (singular) after a first listen. I plan on giving this thread a good read-through tomorrow.)

It really only got "exciting" toward the 75% mark, just like a real movie should. That might sound like a diss, but in fact it should mean that T&A are really becoming experts; the 3/4 mark is where the action starts to happen, and around the climax is where the music should actually get intense.

Someone earlier in the thread, I think, stated that they thought this is where Trent might truly become a great ST creator; I couldn't agree more. This will not go down as the most "catchy" or "cool" thing he has done. It will go down as the point where just a few more ppl recognize his genius, I hope.

I look forward to the slow, slow burn. Can't wait to see the film and how this music fits in

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That other guy View Post
    Great work , headphones made it better , now just need to piece it together with film..is it me or is there a lot of layering?
    At 192 kbps, there could be all kinda shit but we won't know until the 320/HQ files

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Reviews are getting in. So far it has an 89/100 metacritic
    I’ve been listening to it on YouTube. Atticus and Trent made an impeccable soundtrack with this one. It is impressive just how good this is.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    This'll have Null 03 as the catalog number, right? Has anyone asked Rob about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Who knows - up to this point, the albums with Null weren't ~the soundtracks~, but just the non-NIN and non-HTDA music by Null. That happened to be the soundtracks, but I'm sure if we'd had other projects under it, they wouldda got the number too. Maybe they'll retcon it and say that Null totally means soundtracks, but that could screw with how the film studio deals with releases.
    I believe Null numbers are for things released through The Null Corporation so since this is being released on Columbia, I don't think it would get a Null number.
    Last edited by piggy; 09-26-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    If anyone happens to have a way of listening to this without a constant internet connection, that would be of significant assistance to me tonight. Please PM with any suggestions.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    "Technically, Missing" >>>>>>

That guitar + full orchestra!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Jumping jack Jesus! This is really good. I really liked TSN and didn't really care for TGWTDT. I'll see once the movie comes out.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I believe Null numbers are for things released through The Null Corporation so since this is being released on Columbia, I don't think it would get a Null number.
    Aye, but some Null releases have no Null number: NIN releases since Ghosts, including the Seeds, haven't carried both - not even the LITS sampler which was multiple artists.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    There may be signed, deluxe versions of this, yes? Were there some for TSN? Though, 300 bucks is expensive, too pricey for me..discount code?. Lol..anyone else get that cking out? Are there really discount codes available or is it just the way the cart is set up? Probably the later?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    There may be signed, deluxe versions of this, yes? Were there some for TSN? Though, 300 bucks is expensive, too pricey for me..discount code?. Lol..anyone else get that cking out? Are there really discount codes available or is it just the way the cart is set up? Probably the later?
    I doubt there'll be any, TGWTDT's were announced in advance - and they sold AWFULLY. There's still many left don't forget. And TSN had none, the three options were CD/Vinyl/BD-A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The end of At Risk is some of the spookiest TR/AR scoring I've heard thus far.

And I love it.

Side-note: Someone earlier said Clue Two sounds like The Frail? Not entirely sure where that comparison is coming from?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That's what I thought, sheepdean, thanks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misternegative View Post
    Side-note: Someone earlier said Clue Two sounds like The Frail? Not entirely sure where that comparison is coming from?
    The strings starting at 3:30 sound similar to the ones in The Frail (version).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So now we know which of the tracks have been used for the second Gone Girl trailer:

- What Have We Done To Each Other?
    - Still Gone
    - Technically, Missing

I was watching (listening!) this trailer over and over only to hear the piano from "Still Gone" and those guitars from "Technically, Missing".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, I think this might be their best work yet. I love the Brian Eno and Twin Peaks vibes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    I don't think anything's gonna recreate the wow factor that TSN had. It was all new back then.
    I honestly think GG OST has the most finness to it than either of the other 2 OSTs. This could pass for a second Ghosts installment.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Edit, missed a few posts, lol. Nvm.

Empty Places sounds like something off Still.
    Last edited by Omega; 09-26-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Should At Risk have a question mark at the end or not?
    @sheepdean - Any idea?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Oh my. This is beautiful, annnnnnnnnd pre-ordered!

edit- i am stuck on repeats of Clue Two, somebody halp!
    Last edited by somethingelse; 09-26-2014 at 05:46 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Also just pre-ordered. Cd+dl.

There are great scores..and then there are Ross and Rez..who make the best ones. Smokes everyone else out.

It's so dang good. **standing ovation**.
    Last edited by Omega; 09-26-2014 at 06:07 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    @sheepdean - Any idea?
    I see no reason it should, the nin.com listing, NPR playlist and Amazon listing don't have one

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Also just pre-ordered. Cd+dl.

There are great scores..and then there are Ross and Rez..who make the best ones. Smokes everyone else out.

It's so dang good. **standing ovation**.
    Agreed it is amazing. Though I disagree about Ross and Reznor being the best at making scores for film. Film soundtracks are eclectic and there is SO much ear candy out there
    Last edited by somethingelse; 09-26-2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: edit- I damn quoted myself!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I listened to the NPR stream and it's simply breathtaking.

One of the few complaints I had with Trent and Atticus' work from 2007 onwards was the loop-based style of songwriting. Of course, it worked beautifully for Year Zero and Ghosts, but, after a while, it had become a bit stagnant. TSN was, essentially, built from loops, and Dragon Tattoo felt like just an extension of the loops we had heard on the Comes Forth in the Thaw website. Welcome oblivion showed hints of a return to a more fluid, organic structure of songs, and Hesitation Marks fully delivered on that front. Now, Gone Girl is the first soundtrack to really satisfy me on a structure basis.

It often sounds "blurry" and avant-garde; I couldn't piece together how many of the songs worked, and it made for an unnerving experience. It didn't shock me in the way Dragon Tattoo did, but I loved how it built upon the sounds Tattoo introduced (I think At Risk had the same "snowy" synth drone present in many Tattoo songs and was the website's background noise for a while). Though still synth-based, it never feels artificial. Of course, part of that is due to the orchestra, but the synth and drum machine loops also feel "real", you know? I can't wait for the 24-bit version to really delve deep into this soundscape.

I can imagine it will still piss off traditional film score fans and reviewers, though, hehe. I'm sure there's gonna be another negative review on Filmtracks.com. Still, it will all make sense when the score is heard in context!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I listened to the NPR stream and it's simply breathtaking.

One of the few complaints I had with Trent and Atticus' work from 2007 onwards was the loop-based style of songwriting. Of course, it worked beautifully for Year Zero and Ghosts, but, after a while, it had become a bit stagnant. TSN was, essentially, built from loops, and Dragon Tattoo felt like just an extension of the loops we had heard on the Comes Forth in the Thaw website. Welcome oblivion showed hints of a return to a more fluid, organic structure of songs, and Hesitation Marks fully delivered on that front. Now, Gone Girl is the first soundtrack to really satisfy me on a structure basis.
    i haven't listened to this yet, but i think it's interesting you bring up ghosts/dragon tattoo and hesitation marks in terms of loop-based writing. i feel the complete opposite...that ghosts and dragon tattoo are very organic and that HM is almost all loop-based. interesting...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I can imagine it will still piss off traditional film score fans and reviewers, though, hehe. I'm sure there's gonna be another negative review on Filmtracks.com. Still, it will all make sense when the score is heard in context!
    Honestly that film tracks review was bizarre, the way he singled out the boat race scene as an example of how the score didn't entirely reflect the exertion of the rowers etc...erm, it's kind of a stylised video showcase scene in the middle of the film, and the whole film was mocking of the Winkelvosses hence the comedy Mountain King in electronic form music. It just didn't seem that difficult to understand, and the guy seemed to think all scores should be like Peter & the Wolf, people falling over to a slide whistle. Yet people obviously respect him??

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i haven't listened to this yet, but i think it's interesting you bring up ghosts/dragon tattoo and hesitation marks in terms of loop-based writing. i feel the complete opposite...that ghosts and dragon tattoo are very organic and that HM is almost all loop-based. interesting...
    Actually, now that I think of it, you're right...

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    For those who have read the book, how does it fit with it?
    Also, Consummation (starting at around the 2:00 mark) needs to be the next live intro for NIN.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So is this getting traditional distribution, like through amazon? They don't have a listing for it but is rather order it there.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    There's no release date for the physical products yet, so Amazon can't list it.