Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Deafheaven

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I hope they play "Luna" on this upcoming tour and I really dig the outro to "Gifts for the Earth". Beautiful way to end the album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really Really liking this on my first listen through. One thing I noticed about Deafheaven is that they sound 1000% through really good headphones.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I enjoy New Bermuda more than Sunbather. The last track is amazing.
    Last edited by Archive_Reports; 09-24-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: More stuff.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yup, this is easily their best yet and that's saying something. Sunbather is one of my favorite albums of the past few years.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    It's hard comparing this to Sunbather really.

I think why Sunbather has an edge is that the record feels more moodier thanks to the ambient and noise pieces in between all of the chaotic metal tracks. Gives the record more character. This new one is more to the point and feels like more of a live album, but it's still damn good. I'm really excited to hear this stuff live. I was on my way home from work listening to the record and I was blown away at how crazy "Luna" is. I think the only thing I really didn't care for was the wah-wah solo during "Baby Blue."

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I think the only thing I really didn't care for was the wah-wah solo during "Baby Blue."
    my friend was texting me yesterday while she was listening to the album and when she got to that part she said "there's, like, a full-on Metallica wah-solo happening, but...i think i like it?" haha

i'm really excited to hear the album but i'm gonna wait for vinyl because i'm THAT guy now, i guess

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I'm glad I'm not held accountable for everything I said in my early 20s.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    whether kerry was joking or not, reading all of those made me cringe. that word is just so filled with hatred and i can never remove it from the context of how it has been used against me so consistently. this leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

as for george, that is just fucked up and absolutely not ok.

i hate it when shitty people make good art, because how do you enjoy the art without supporting the shitty people who make it?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Not making excuses or anything, but who knows, maybe that dude has grown up and wised up a bit in those 3-4 years.

I'm sure I've said shitty things on twitter 5 years ago that I'd probably cringe at nowadays. I dunno.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This entire thing started because someone from 4chan hated Deafheaven and wanted to find a way to ruin the band. So, he dug up dirt, went and mailed it to every media outlet he'd think would publish.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    This entire thing started because someone from 4chan hated Deafheaven and wanted to find a way to ruin the band. So, he dug up dirt, went and mailed it to every media outlet he'd think would publish.
    that doesn't mean they're NOT dickbags, though. i mean, i love their music, but everything i read about them makes them seem like egotistical a-holes who have let their newfound fame go to their heads instead of humbling them, considering all the shit they went through to get there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I never claimed they're not dickbags. I don't know these guys well enough. All I'm saying is that the person who sent these to media outlets obviously didn't care about anyone who might have been offended by them.

And I can't judge the guy. I'm sure I've said some messed up things in the past that I don't remember, probably on twitter as well. I mean, I was an edgy MSI fan at some point, so you can imagine the stupid stuff I might have said.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i hate it when shitty people make good art, because how do you enjoy the art without supporting the shitty people who make it?
    This is an interesting question a lot of people act like they have a simple answer to, and they want to ban any artist who isn't a perfect person in their personal life. If we did that we'd have no good art left because most great artists tend to be problematic people at best.

I like to try and separate art from the person making that art: I enjoy Burzum('s early stuff) for example.
    But would I have a problem employing a neonazi to mow my lawn? Yes.

Ultimately I think art should be allowed to be art and not censored because the people making it aren't picture perfect, or the art is something we find politically unpleasant. I also think countering intolerance with more intolerance won't work either.

I think it's wrong to try and throw DH off a festival because of the personal behavior of its members.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 09-29-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've really enjoyed the two songs they've released for New Bermuda, and went ahead and pre-ordered the album. I've only been listening to these guys for about a week and they're stuff is still growing on me, but I'm looking forward to their new album and like what I've heard from their earlier output. Anyone seen these guys live? I'm thinking about catching a show in November.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    This is an interesting question a lot of people act like they have a simple answer to, and they want to ban any artist who isn't a perfect person in their personal life. If we did that we'd have no good art left because most great artists tend to be problematic people at best.

I like to try and separate art from the person making that art: I enjoy Burzum('s early stuff) for example.
    But would I have a problem employing a neonazi to mow my lawn? Yes.

Ultimately I think art should be allowed to be art and not censored because the people making it aren't picture perfect, or the art is something we find politically unpleasant. I also think countering intolerance with more intolerance won't work either.

I think it's wrong to try and throw DH off a festival because of the personal behavior of its members.
    Agreed. I usually never let shitty band members stop me from enjoying their music. If anything, knowing the band members are such shitty people can make me look at the music from a different angle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think this album is as fantastic as Sunbather was, if not even better. Really enjoying it and I haven't dabbled in the Black Metal sound since listening to some Emperor back in the 90's. I feel like this is what the genre we called "post-rock" evolved into.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    New Bermuda is a fantastic record, and it gets better and better with each listen. Definitely a contender for album of the year. Favorite tracks are Baby Blue and Gifts for the Earth, but the whole thing is spectacular.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This is them firing on all cylinders. I think this album is a little tighter than Sunbather, that's what sets it apart for me. So stoked to see them on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    I think this album is as fantastic as Sunbather was, if not even better. Really enjoying it and I haven't dabbled in the Black Metal sound since listening to some Emperor back in the 90's. I feel like this is what the genre we called "post-rock" evolved into.
    Yeah, there's a few bands that went with this type of sound. Deafheaven easily do it the best. I really feel like the majority of post-rock has become Explosions in the Sky clones. And not in a good way. I'm finding the only post-rock stuff I like nowadays probably wouldn't be classified as post-rock.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened to the new album yesterday. don't really like it.

i like sunbather a lot and i LOVE roads to judah, but this new one is too upbeat/happy-sounding, a little too predictable, and it just doesn't hit me emotionally like their other stuff. one of the only moments i really enjoyed was the wah solo in baby blue, because it felt really honest, like "hey, i grew up listening to stuff like this, so i'm gonna pay homage to it" and it came out sounding great.

guess i'm glad i didn't pre-order it on vinyl? :: shrug ::

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Just got back from tonight's show and it was great!

Setlist:
    Brought to the Water
    Luna
    Baby Blue
    From the Kettle Onto the Coil
    Come Back
    Gifts For the Earth

Encore:
    Sunbather
    Dream House

The opening act Tribulation surprised me. I was expecting over blown blast beat with shitty drone riffs but surprisingly enough it wasn't either. They were more of an rock band with black metal vocals and it didn't suck. Lot's of energy, great stuff.

Deafheaven has a new intro now in the set and it's long too. Good 4-5 minutes before the bands heads to the stage. The band pummel the crowd song by song with very little interludes. George really knows how to work the crowd, it was surprising to see him swing dance to "Gifts". "Baby Blue" wah wah solo was either completely omitted and shoved at the end of the song. I can't recall but I know it didn't sound like the record. All the other new songs sounded great.

Random tidbits:
    Dream House got the biggest noise.
    Sound guy kind of fucked up "Brought" mix.
    Cool new light show.
    No songs from Judah.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    listened to the new album yesterday. don't really like it.

i like sunbather a lot and i LOVE roads to judah, but this new one is too upbeat/happy-sounding, a little too predictable, and it just doesn't hit me emotionally like their other stuff. one of the only moments i really enjoyed was the wah solo in baby blue, because it felt really honest, like "hey, i grew up listening to stuff like this, so i'm gonna pay homage to it" and it came out sounding great.

guess i'm glad i didn't pre-order it on vinyl? :: shrug ::
    Really? I feel like this one is way darker and less upbeat as Sunbather, personally. Where Sunbather sounded like My Bloody Valentine trying out metal, this one sounds like Godspeed vastly expanded upon Mladic's heavy style and embracing their inner metal.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Many more shades of MONO on this one than the post-rock influences on Sunbather. Though the intro of "Come Back" is very clearly indebted to "Sleep" from GY!BE.

The crown for me, here, is "Baby Blue," as "Vertigo" was on Sunbather. Every note is brilliant. The coda is serious Max Richter territory, elevating the already amazing song.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    the "champagne supernova" moment on this new album is.... surprising

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Love the new album, bought a copy of it yesterday

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    SF show was great over the weekend. Same set as listed above. Not sure if it was just the Fillmore, but this is easiest the clearest they've sounded. Probably a little less intense than the last time I saw them, but still amazing nonetheless. My friends convinced me to join them in the pit and I stupidly joined them. Paying the price the last few days. I'm getting too old for this shit!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Never enjoyed black metal in any form (except Gehenna, perhaps), and decided to check out Sunbather for some reason, and didn't enjoy it at all, but I'm checking out New Bermuda, and it's quite better, more memorable riffs, and in general seems more cohesive and interesting that a mix of standard black metal drones / bland post-rock noodling. The first solo on Baby Blue kicks ass!
    Not a band I would listen a lot to, but anyway, the new record is kind of good.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    New Bermuda is likely to be my AOTY. Seeing them a second time up close and personal really pulled me in. I was kinda worried that I'd lose interest with the new record but I've been blaring it relentlessly, probably even more than Sunbather.
    Last edited by Soma; 04-18-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Deafheaven's 2017 tour with This Will Destroy You and Emma Ruth Rundle supporting begins February 23rd. Tickets on sale this week / details: deafheaven.com/shows
    Jan 12 Los Angeles, CA – The Echoplex w/ HEALTH - SOLD OUT
    Jan 13 Los Angeles, CA – The Echoplex w/ HEALTH

DEAFHEAVEN, THIS WILL DESTROY YOU, EMMA RUTH RUNDLE
    Feb 23 San Francisco, CA –The Independent (Noise Pop)
    Feb 26 Las Vegas, NV – The Bunkhouse Saloon
    Feb 28 Albuquerque, NM – Sister
    Mar 02 Austin, TX – The Mohawk
    Mar 03 Dallas, TX – Trees
    Mar 04 Houston, TX – Warehouse Live Studio
    Mar 05 New Orleans, LA – The Republic NOLA
    Mar 07 Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade
    Mar 08 Nashville, TN – Mercy Lounge
    Mar 10 Charlotte, NC – The Underground
    Mar 11 Richmond, VA – The Broadberry
    Mar 12 Baltimore, MD – Baltimore Sound Stage
    Mar 13 Philadelphia, PA – Theatre of Living Arts
    Mar 14 Brooklyn, NY – Warsaw
    Mar 15 Boston, MA – Paradise Rock Club
    Mar 17 Detroit, MI – Shelter at St. Andrew’s Hall
    Mar 18 Bloomington, IL – The Castle Theater
    Mar 19 Milwaukee, WI – Turner Hall
    Mar 20 Minneapolis, MN – Fine Line
    Mar 21 Omaha, NE – The Waiting Room
    Mar 23 Denver, CO – The Summit Music Hall
    Mar 24 Salt Lake City, UT – Urban Lounge
    Mar 26 Seattle, WA – Neumo's
    Mar 27 Eugene, OR – WOW Hall

I might try and get a ticket to see the Charlotte show!