Thread: The Prodigy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    This is really fucking me up.
    And, as I said in the other thread, this might be the end of the prodigy as THE PRODIGY.
    I know, I know, even the name refers to Liam, and I've been a huge fan since the early nineties. But things changed with FOTL, and that was, what, 22 years ago?
    This is just my personal opinion, but I think it'd be odd for them to go on as The Prodigy.
    I'd expect it to become Liam and Maxim of The Prodigy, personally.
    I mean, shit, wasn't Dirtchamber Sessions originally released as Liam Howlett Presents? It says "Prodigy Presents" now when I look it up, but even so, if the prodigy still meant " just liam" in 99, why wasn't it a Prodigy album? I know it was different than other releases, obviously, but still.
    Idk. I know I'D damn sure have a hard time continuing as The Prodigy if I were Liam.
    Ultimately, I guess that's all I'm really saying here.

And, good god, whatever they call it, future shows will inevitably feature images of Keith, and it will be fucking heart wrenching.

This is just so fucking awful. The Prodigy Experience is what got me into electronic music, full stop. It's why I'm so into dnb, and was a dirty junglist raver as a teenager. The Prodigy was a MASSIVE part of my teenage years, and my life in general. My young nephew is named Liam, after Liam Howlett, and not "kinda ;" he's seriously named after him. My brother and I were best friends growing up, and that's an example of what a massive influence they had on the both of us.

I can hardly fucking think about this.

At least I caught the show in the 90s. A
    This one HURTS.
    I'm not sure what you mean, the official release of Dirtchamber Sessions Volume One was always Prodigy Presents and Liam was preparing a Volume Two. It's not a Prodigy album, it's a DJ mix album done by Liam. Liam originally debuted it on the Breezeblock show. He had to make some edits to the Breezeblock mix due to song clearance and released it as The Dirtchamber Sessions. He even did a short DJ tour during this time.

Honestly, there are more non-Keith tracks than tracks with Keith on them. When The Prodigy were first signed to release What Evil Lurks, the first EP under The Prodigy name, it was Liam who got the record deal. It was several years into their career, their third album, when Keith sang on a Prodigy track. Musically, The Prodigy is Liam. He is the main songwriter/producer and where it all began. Maxim was the frontman live as their MC and the first to have vocals featured on a Prodigy track. It was until Firestarter and Fat Of The Land, the press pushed Keith front and center. Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, the follow up to The Fat Of The Land didn't even feature Maxim or Keith on it at all as the band wanted to shed their FOTL image and go back to their roots and what The Prodigy were about.

I hope Liam and Maxim continue on in some form. It will be a much sadder world without that feeling waiting for the next Prodigy album. For me, The Prodigy was always Liam, but the media turned Keith into their image. It was actually more due to America putting Keith at the front as the media here couldn't quite understand a band like The Prodigy. I've read their bio books and their US radio/media promo stories are embarrassing. Not for them, but the clueless industry people and dum radio DJs who couldn't comprehend a band like Prodigy where they'd asked crap like "Who's the guitarist?" Maxim would respond "No, I'm the drummer."
    Last edited by neorev; 03-05-2019 at 02:44 AM.