Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Prodigy

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Another new track is about to drop very shortly. Stay tuned. It will also be premiered on Zane Lowe's Beats 1 show.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shit! This is some Experience shit!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is great. Definitely a modernized Experience style.
    All the songs they released so far from this record are already miles ahead of TDIME, which I listened to last night just to confirm how much I dislike it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    This is great. Definitely a modernized Experience style.
    All the songs they released so far from this record are already miles ahead of TDIME, which I listened to last night just to confirm how much I dislike it.
    Yeah I don't like it much either aside from a few songs. This is definitely shaping up to be more up my alley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Digging it a lot! I really like the beefier old school sound. They just announced Australian tour dates too, seeing them up close would be awesome!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Expect some more old skool, bass and breaks
    Evil rave

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Put the needle on the record...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BpkZSRFHJUF/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    New album out today, I've been a Prodigy fan for 20+years and this is the first album I don't like - It does sound like old school Prodigy but that doesn't help it. Too much high speed dubbing vocals for me and no dark edge or interesting new sounds like the last few albums - thank goodness for streaming sites, I can't imagine pre-ordering a big deluxe package only to hate the album and be stuck with a bunch of merch for it. Will still give it a few listens to give it a chance, maybe listening to it at 8am on the way to work in rush hour traffic was a bad idea...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Best album they have done since The Fat Of The Land

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It's better than the last one. I'll say that.
    There is a few gems on here but alot of the same otherwise.

I noticed that along with the "breathe" sample they also use the sound from "babys got a temper" in the background of 'need someone"

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Best album they have done since The Fat Of The Land
    This. They finally found their groove again. This is everything I wanted The Day Is My Enemy to be (and I actually liked that record).

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    After couple of listens, I'm gonna stand by my earlier thought that this album is Invaders III aka TDIME II. While there are some occasional standout tracks here and there, overally these three records sound pretty much exactly the same. I dunno, maybe it has to do with the fact that they are using much less samples now than in the 90s (and on AONO even), but all their beats and synths became the same.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It really doesn't bother me if Liam reuses a sound here or there in a new way. These are his sounds. This is sonic pallette that he created. Be like telling Trent Reznor to stop using the typical NIN sounding guitar or Tom Morrello to stop using his typical guitar sound on everything or any rock band using the same instruments. Tom has multiple projects that even sound the same. Even Trent has regurgitated his sounds quite a few times and folks seem cool with it. Most of EDM is filled with different producers using the same drum sounds. Dubstep producers... drum n bass producers Tell Rusko to stop using his Rusko wobble bass or Aphrodite using his same bass sound again and again. Tell rappers to stop using the same 808s. Be like yelling at an acoustic guitar player for every guitar on his songs for sounding the same.

I don't hear IMD or TDIME with this album, to me it's a fresher and funner record. Plus Liam has been reusing sounds since the beginning, even on the classic albums you love. The Out Of Space bells are on Diesel Power, Memphis Bells, and Omen. Break And Enter and Rhythm Of Life shares some beats. I can go on and on.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Prodigy: 'We don't need to reinvent ourselves'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46049254

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Holy shit! This is some Experience shit!!!!!!!
    Oh FUCK yes.
    I LOVE this. I've been a fan since before FOTL, and while I accepted the evolution and grew to like it, I HATED it at first.
    This is a return to form in my opinion.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Oh FUCK yes.
    I LOVE this. I've been a fan since before FOTL, and while I accepted the evolution and grew to like it, I HATED it at first.
    This is a return to form in my opinion.
    There's lots of old skool moments like this on the new album. Timebomb Zone is another awesome one.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    It really doesn't bother me if Liam reuses a sound here or there in a new way. These are his sounds. This is sonic pallette that he created. Be like telling Trent Reznor to stop using the typical NIN sounding guitar or Tom Morrello to stop using his typical guitar sound on everything or any rock band using the same instruments. Tom has multiple projects that even sound the same. Even Trent has regurgitated his sounds quite a few times and folks seem cool with it. Most of EDM is filled with different producers using the same drum sounds. Dubstep producers... drum n bass producers Tell Rusko to stop using his Rusko wobble bass or Aphrodite using his same bass sound again and again. Tell rappers to stop using the same 808s. Be like yelling at an acoustic guitar player for every guitar on his songs for sounding the same.

I don't hear IMD or TDIME with this album, to me it's a fresher and funner record. Plus Liam has been reusing sounds since the beginning, even on the classic albums you love. The Out Of Space bells are on Diesel Power, Memphis Bells, and Omen. Break And Enter and Rhythm Of Life shares some beats. I can go on and on.
    dude dnb doesn't just use the same SOUNDS. They use the same BREAKS,.over and over, and have been doing so.for.decades.
    (I know you already know this.)

And i, for one, don't mind AT ALL.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    dude dnb doesn't just use the same SOUNDS. They use the same BREAKS,.over and over, and have been doing so.for.decades.
    (I know you already know this.)

And i, for one, don't mind AT ALL.
    Yes, same drum sounds, same breaks. I don't mind it either. I am just pointing the hypocrisy if you're giving The Prodigy crap for reusing sounds while also a fan of the artists/styles I mentioned. I had one guy on another forum knocking the album and its production using some old sounds again and then brought up drum n bass producers they prefer in the same sentence and I had to laugh a little. I ain't bashing the genre, you make music, find your sound, and make that sound like everyone else. But these folks seem to hold Prodigy to this whole other standard. The Prodigy are doing what they always do. Perhaps it's the person who doesn't like it that has changed and the older albums they love more is more based on moments in their own past and nostalgia. It doesn't mean the music has gotten worse, they just grown and moved on.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Yes, same drum sounds, same breaks. I don't mind it either. I am just pointing the hypocrisy if you're giving The Prodigy crap for reusing sounds while also a fan of the artists/styles I mentioned. I had one guy on another forum knocking the album and its production using some old sounds again and then brought up drum n bass producers they prefer in the same sentence and I had to laugh a little. I ain't bashing the genre, you make music, find your sound, and make that sound like everyone else. But these folks seem to hold Prodigy to this whole other standard. The Prodigy are doing what they always do. Perhaps it's the person who doesn't like it that has changed and the older albums they love more is more based on moments in their own past and nostalgia. It doesn't mean the music has gotten worse, they just grown and moved on.
    do you think it's because some of these people didn't get into pre FOTL Prodigy?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    do you think it's because some of these people didn't get into pre FOTL Prodigy?
    It seems later Prodigy fans enjoy this one and their recent albums more. You got fans like me who have been here since 1993 and introduced to the band with Experience. A lot of the ones who hate the album seem to come from the Experience-Jilted-FOTL pool. But there's old school fans like me who still love what they do. Then you got folks who discovered them during AONO and that album is such a oddball compared to the rest. They won a bunch of new fans over with IMD and No Tourists will win more new fans over. Whatever album that made us fall in love with them, what we loved about that album, the new fans are having that same feeling we had with the new ones. So The Prodigy are doing something right. From my experience, out of the minority of fans who hate this album, a majority of them come from the Experience-Jilted-FOTL pool rather than the IMD-TDIME pool. I think that's because the new fans won over with IMD and/or TDIME are still young. So IMD, TDIME, and NT are like their Experience, Jilted, and FOTL. Perhaps on the next album they'll start hating them
    Last edited by neorev; 11-04-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Interesting @neorev

I couldn't imagine an experience fan not liking that one track though.

Also, while I'm at it...see, every time we bring, we are the ruffest. We are the ruffest...see?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I got the new album today. After my 1st time through I have to say I like it.
    I don't love it though. I think there are some bangers for sure. Just maybe I have moved on from the Prodigy? I guess I am asking myself that, lol.
    I think I prefer when a artist tries new things. But I understand Liam's mindset.
    I will give the album more spins to see how if it's a grower. We Live Forever was my favorite so far.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Interesting @neorev

I couldn't imagine an experience fan not liking that one track though.

Also, while I'm at it...see, every time we bring, we are the ruffest. We are the ruffest...see?
    lol nice

I have found fans who loved them since Experience say they don't like this album. Trust me, it baffles me as well.
    Last edited by neorev; 11-05-2018 at 01:09 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    "we live forever" did remind me of Experience, but of playing an Experience-era 12" at 33⅓rpm by mistake. I still enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is the first Prodigy album in a long time where I haven't fast forwarded a song. Really quite consistent material for a change, nothing's annoying me. Might be an odd thing to write, but I have found a lot of their material since AONO instantly turn-offable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Very familiar melody on No Tourists, apart from the last few notes which have been changed!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascender View Post
    Very familiar melody on No Tourists, apart from the last few notes which have been changed!
    Except the melody is a sample from the 1990 movie Bullseye!...

Appears at 1:10:47

Trent's got some explaining to do.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Saw them the other night at ally pally - Very good, love the 2 double decker buses on stage. Didn't play "their law" though...?!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Saw them the other night at ally pally - Very good, love the 2 double decker buses on stage. Didn't play "their law" though...?!
    That's because instead of Their Law, a track that has been in their live sets since 1994, they swapped it out for the Experience track Fire, which they haven't played in 24 years. I love Their Law, but it's been played to death in the live set, especially when swapped for Fire! You witness something pretty rare that night.

For the old school fans...

Fire (Edit)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So I've given the new album a couple of listens and beside the single, nothing else really stands out. I'm going to give it a few more spins in hopes of finding another gem or two but sadly this release isn't all that great. However, I do enjoy the early 90's vibe it's got going on.