Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Austin City Limits show aired April 5, 2014

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    First show ever with no HLAH?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Perhaps in a really long time if you don't count CRC or KROQ events.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfang View Post
    barely got in thanks to a friend. All the love was on the setlist but not played.
    fffffffuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dunebug81 View Post
    i hope another taper was able to go so we can have the entire performance since it doesn't look like the entire thing will air on the Internet or TV.
    Quality isn't the best, but it was covered. There will be a torrent eventually.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Meh, I saw the setlist. Nothing special played just all the heavy stuff stripped out. If I would have paid big money to see this I would have been disappointed. I hope this isn't what the Vegas shows will be like.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfang View Post
    Barely got in thanks to a friend. All the Love was on the setlist but not played.
    Are you fucking joking? That would've been The Best. Damn it Trent, you have like fourteen people singing on stage, you can do this song now.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Program & ticket. On both of the set lists I saw, I didn't see "All The Love in the World."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I took this photo of a paper setlist someone was holding right after the show, though a few of the songs are in the wrong order in addition to All the Love being included. I don't know if this was an early draft different from what the band used onstage?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Some great photos from this on the Brooklyn Vegan blog

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive..._nails_17.html

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Fuck. I'll never be as good as the photogs from BV. Totally jelly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Fuck. I'll never be as good as the photogs from BV. Totally jelly.
    What's really amazing is how fast he edited his shots and uploaded them.

I shot NIN at Mountain Oasis over a week ago but haven't even gotten my photos up yet. But also I didn't have a deadline, and I have a different day job.

And another photographer at tonight's gig thinks the BV guy left after three songs.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Oh man, I can only hope that ATLITW gets played in LA. I'll be pissed if it's only a Texas thing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Here's a blog about it where for some bizarre reason the blogger reckons the guitarist is Robert Fripp from King Crimson??

http://www.austinbloggylimits.com/20...or-acl-tv.html

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    So wait...is THIS the accurate setlist? Because if so....fuck me, that's about the best set list I could have asked for given what's being played on the current tour. It's all of the HM tracks that I wanted to hear and didn't, plus two of my favorite Fragile tracks and In This Twilight. So eager to see what makes the cut for the broadcast. Was there any news at the studio in regard to the potential air date?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    So eager to see what makes the cut for the broadcast. Was there any news at the studio in regard to the potential air date?
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona Radiata View Post
    The show will air in spring 2014. I asked one of the producers on twitter.
    ten characters

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    So wait...is THIS the accurate setlist? Because if so....fuck me, that's about the best set list I could have asked for given what's being played on the current tour. It's all of the HM tracks that I wanted to hear and didn't, plus two of my favorite Fragile tracks and In This Twilight. So eager to see what makes the cut for the broadcast. Was there any news at the studio in regard to the potential air date?
    Yes, that's accurate. And they don't schedule a broadcast date this far ahead, just some time in the spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What an amazing show! I waited all day in the standby line which eventually grew to 100+ people. I was up at the very front and not a single person was 'officially' let in as all tickets had been claimed. The few of us that got in had the ACL volunteers looking out for us and snuck us in when a few people left after the first few songs. I finally got into the show during Came Back Haunted and was surprised to see a few more empty seats.

The screenprint sold out in 40 minutes and was limited to 250.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dunebug81 View Post
    Meh, I saw the setlist. Nothing special played just all the heavy stuff stripped out. If I would have paid big money to see this I would have been disappointed. I hope this isn't what the Vegas shows will be like.
    1. When mentioning a live NIN show, the word "Meh" should never be used.
    2. I was there. It was a setlist appropriate for the venue, which is why I believe some of the "heavy stuff" may have been avoided.
    3. I've been to enough NIN shows (though never a festival unfortunately) to know that the crowd on the floor--where I was--spread out for my movement during The Wretched. The group of obviously wealthy (donors) middle-agers (I am nearly middle-aged, so I can judge) next to me practically feared for their lives when Survivalism got going. Can you imagine if something like Wish had been played? A funny daydream...
    4. Why would Vegas be different from the rest of the non-festival shows on this tour? This isn't a smart-ass answer, but a legitimate question. Is there a reason--other than they added a second night?
    5. I saw them in STL on this tour, only a month after HM came out...and I didn't know the album that well. With two kids, I don't have the kind of free time to give albums like this their proper attention. After seeing the show, which was heavy on the HM stuff, I listened to the album with more vigor. His sound is evolving, maturing, and he's obviously A. so confident that his new stuff is THAT good that his fans will embrace it B. "over" the self-loathing, bratty-but-nihilistic music he put out in his twenties and thirties. Don't get me wrong--I still like it, but I've matured too. C. a capitalist who realizes that this is the "old-fashioned" way of selling new albums.

I would bet, after reading some interviews, that the correct answer is D. All of the above for #5.

All I wanted was an experience unlike ANY other NIN experience I've had--and I left satisfied, sweaty, and grateful.
    Last edited by BRH129; 11-05-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: grammar "different than" to "different from"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Full Tension production? Or more like a festival date?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It was netiher Frydek. Just the standard ACL backdrop and use of typical stage lights. So a tradeoff--intimacy unlike any other show but we lose all the crazy production. And that was ok by me.

As BRH129 said, I went in hoping for a completely unique NIN experience and I got exactly that. So I am grateful. I loved hearing all of the new stuff. Opening with "All Time Low" was incredible and getting to hear "Satellite" live made me swoon with excitement. The highlight for me personally was "Big Comedown" tho. So much energy and...tension...heh. Plus the backing singers really shined in that song.

Bring on the arena show in San Antonio tonight!!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Neither. Review and pictures from ACL's site. http://acltv.com/2013/11/05/nine-inc...-expectations/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRH129 View Post
    2. I was there. It was a setlist appropriate for the venue, which is why I believe some of the "heavy stuff" may have been avoided.
    also, the "venue" in this case includes TV, which is a different audience than at a regular NIN concert or a festival. i'm sure plenty of people watch ACL just to be introduced to music they don't know about. and there's no ticket price or huge time commitment, so if someone watching doesn't like it, it's not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BRH129 View Post
    4. Why would Vegas be different from the rest of the non-festival shows on this tour? This isn't a smart-ass answer, but a legitimate question. Is there a reason--other than they added a second night?
    the las vegas shows are supposed to not have the full tour visuals because of constraints of the venue. i don't think there's any reason to think the las vegas shows will be so close to this one. ACL is ACL - it's not just a small venue.

btw, love that you edited your post to change "different than" to "different from".

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I don't see how broadcasting the show 6-9 months from now is going to benefit the promotion of the album. By that time, the album will be dead anyway. they should air the damn thing this month

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I don't see how broadcasting the show 6-9 months from now is going to benefit the promotion of the album. By that time, the album will be dead anyway. they should air the damn thing this month
    you even interpret "spring" in the most pessimistic way . . .

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    because I am a sucker for posters/lithos etc, anyone have a pic of it? Not that I want it... just want to see.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RITCNIN View Post
    because I am a sucker for posters/lithos etc, anyone have a pic of it? Not that I want it... just want to see.
    http://i.imgur.com/G7yeTb7l.jpg

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frothy_ham View Post
    I don't usually bitch about anything that the NIN camp does, and I know this is extremely immature, but I am so fucking bummed that I didn't win tix to this show. I live SOOOO close to Austin, and it would be so easy to go to this but the fact that I had absolutely zero control over my chances of getting to be able to see this show...that I just had to throw my name in a few hats and cross my fingers...just feels bad...and I'm frankly just bitter about it.
    I would have been overjoyed to lose a hypothetical lottery for the NY club shows in 2009, rather than seeing my dreams crushed by something as capricious as an overloaded web server. At least you had a shot, remote as it may have been.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I agree that being yoked to a TV network schedule in the 21st century makes no sense at all.

If I were them, I'd put the whole thing online next week. The venn diagram of PBS viewers and motivated NIN fans probably has minimal overlap in 2013, so I don't think it would harm their broadcast audience all that much.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Oh... That's nice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I agree that being yoked to a TV network schedule in the 21st century makes no sense at all.

If I were them, I'd put the whole thing online next week. The venn diagram of PBS viewers and motivated NIN fans probably has minimal overlap in 2013, so I don't think it would harm their broadcast audience all that much.
    not saying i wouldn't want to see the concert online right now, but there is some value* to keeping interest up over a longer time. an album release and tour already have promotional power. maybe someone will not really be paying attention now, but in a few months, they might see the show and think, "oh yeah. i've been meaning to check out what NIN has been up to."

it's good for us big fans, too. there's a lot to talk about now with the touring and all. in 4 months (in the US), there might be much less to talk about, and it'll be good to have a reason to get excited again.

* there's such a thing as non-monetary value, btw. (note not specifically directed at JPH.)