Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I was only 5/6 when Ten came out but the videos for Alive and Jeremy were easily some of my favorites at the time. I remember looking forward to it showing up on MTV.

Fun fact, they filmed the school scenes of the Jeremy video at my high school. My parents brought me to audition to be an extra as they overhead from a friend that a video would be filmed (small town and people talked back then...we didn't know what band it was for) but were immediately told they were looking for high school kids.
    (I was also told I was too young to be an extra in Pete & Pete from Nickelodeon, which also filmed at the school and parts of my hometown. )

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Went to MoPop in Seattle yesterday and got to see the Pearl Jam exhibit. I thought it would be kind of dumb and dorky but it actually looks like some massive fan was given access to everything/anything and was told "you have this much space, make it work". Pretty interesting to see all the different shirts, especially the one from the 1998 tour. I wish I had gotten one at the show I was at but I was only 21 and not really big money at the time.

apologies for the size.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/rsd-list/pearl-jam/

Pearl Jam offers up rare, unreleased ‘Give Way’ LP for Record Store Day

“Give Way,” the rare, unauthorized promotional Pearl Jam live album is getting an official release on CD and vinyl for Record Store Day 2023.

Originally intended for release in 1998, the album includes 17-tracks from the band’s March 5, 1998 concert at Melbourne Park in Melbourne, Australia. The record was meant to be a promotional giveaway item for the first 50,000 fans who purchased Pearl Jam’s “Single Video Theory” film at Best Buy in 1998. The electronics chain promoted the giveaway in newspapers across the country but had to rescind the offer because Pearl Jam’s management and its record label did not authorize the release of the live album.

Instead of receiving a free promotional Pearl Jam CD, fans who purchased “Single Video Theory” received any CD valued at $14.99 or less for free. According to Rolling Stone, Best Buy lost $500,000 on attempting to give away the unauthorized release and all 50,000 copies of the album were returned to Sony to be destroyed and only a handful of copies were kept and have remained out of circulation.
    I drove an hour from where I worked to the "local" Best Buy in Topeka so I could be there for opening and get a copy. I played hookie from work! gah.

Also it turns out that it's literally the Give Way release and not the whole show. lol

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    They're offering the album in a new Vinyl Me Please version (rah?) and also Spatial audio on Apple music and I'm sure others.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I love this album

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    “No hyperbole — I think this is our best work,” enthused Vedder...
    That's what every band says about their newest album.

Still, I'm looking forward to hearing this. They never released a bad album.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Dark Matter single at midnight ET

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Oh, this is fucking great. Dat guitar is howling in the solo.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Album drops April 19.

Dark Matter Tracklist:
    01. Scared of Fear
    02. React, Respond
    03. Wreckage
    04. Dark Matter
    05. Won’t Tell
    06. Upper Hand
    07. Waiting for Stevie
    08. Running
    09. Something Special
    10. Got to Give
    11. Setting Sun

Pearl Jam 2024 Tour Dates:
    05/04 – Vancouver, BC @ Rogers Arena *
    05/06 – Vancouver, BC @ Rogers Arena *
    05/10 – Portland, OR @ Moda Center *
    05/13 – Sacramento, CA @ Golden 1 Center *
    05/16 – Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand Garden Arena *
    05/18 – Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand Garden Arena *
    05/21 – Los Angeles, CA @ Kia Forum *
    05/22 – Los Angeles, CA @ Kia Forum *
    05/25 – Napa Valley, CA @ BottleRock Napa
    05/28 – Seattle, WA @ Climate Pledge Arena *
    05/30 – Seattle, WA @ Climate Pledge Arena *
    06/22 – Dublin, IE @ Marlay Park $
    06/25 – Manchester, UK @ Manchester Co-Op Arena #
    06/29 – London, UK @ Tottenham Hotspur Stadium $
    07/02 – Berlin, DE @ Waldbühne #
    07/03 – Berlin, DE @ Waldbühne #
    07/06 – Barcelona, ES @ Palau Sant Jordi #
    07/08 – Barcelona, ES @ Palau Sant Jordi #
    07/11 – Madrid, ES @ Mad Cool Festival
    07/13 – Lisbon, PT @ NOS Alive Festival
    08/22 – Missoula, MT @ Washington-Grizzly Stadium %
    08/26 – Indianapolis, IN @ Ruoff Music Center %
    08/29 – Chicago, IL @ Wrigley Field %
    08/31 – Chicago, IL @ Wrigley Field %
    09/03 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden %
    09/04 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden %
    09/07 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center %
    09/09 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center %
    09/12 – Baltimore, MD @ CFG Bank Arena %
    09/15 – Boston, MA @ Fenway Park %
    09/17 – Boston, MA @ Fenway Park %
    11/08 – Auckland, NZ @ Go Media Stadium Mt Smart !
    11/13 – Gold Coast, AU @ Heritage Bank Stadium !
    11/16 – Melbourne, AU @ Marvel Stadium !
    11/21 – Sydney, AU @ Giants Stadium !

* = w/ Deep Sea Diver
    $ = w/ Richard Ashcroft
    # = w/ The Murder Capital
    % = w/ Glen Hansard
    ! = w/ Pixies

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Album cover really reminds me of the Fear Inoculum art from Tool (also Meshuggah's Nothing). Im enjoying the single far more than I expected too which is nice.
    Last edited by richardp; 02-13-2024 at 04:39 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I liked "Gigaton" a lot, so i'm up for this one!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I signed up for the presale. Looks like they're going the Cure route on ticketing. Chances of getting tickets for the Seattle shows are pretty slim. It's always bedlam.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    those ticket prices are just a little high for me. Little weird coming from the Ticketmaster guys.

Also I was listening to Riot Act last night; Green Disease hits a little different now.
    G-R-E-E-D..... G-R-E-E-D
    Though I am happy to see that the Atmos/HD version of the album is on a disc instead of having to pay the Apple/Amazon/whatever other streaming tax for that.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I got really good ADA seats for the second Seattle show. Right by the stage. They were spendy this time. $175 for lower bowl. I had similar tickets for the Cure & they were $100 less.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

It's pretty much what most expected from Andrew Watts: it's very slick sounding. I missed the movie premier on Tuesday - was on work travel no where near one of the locations - so I guess I'm off to ebay to see what the swag was and if it's worth the markup.

Speaking of the movie, apparently some enterprising bootleggers recorded it. Since it was in Atmos I kind of wish someone would put a binaural recording head in there.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Listening to Dark Matter right now. To my ears it sounds really good. & I go back with PJ to the beginning. Glad I ponied up for tickets. I had to think about it as they were rather spendy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    New album sounds good. McCready shines on this record

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Really is quite an enjoyable album. There's some serious bangers on this too. Production and mixing sound absolutely phenomenal on a great set of headphones.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I have a set of really good cans so now that the release is official and not a 256 mp3 I can't wait to listen again. there are a few parts where it feels like they forgot they already wrote and recorded them on different albums (there's a short riff on one song that's remarkably similar to an obscure b side and another one that comes straight from Gigaton) but it hasn't been a deal breaker.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Josh Klingenhofer plays guitar on the album, right? Is that the first time they hired someone from outside the group to play guitar on an album?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Yup, he was just a touring addition (guitars and drums) but he played on Ed's solo album and I guess that moved him to a 'member' like Boom. Speaking of, I don't seem Boom in the credits so I guess that's over?

Apparently Watt plays on the album as well according to the credits.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Dark Matter is a very good album. This is one of Pearl Jam's more fun recordings, with a fast, almost slick feel. While I liked the album right away, I also feel this will grow on you more with repeated plays. Really sweet guitar playing from McCready/Gossard. 12 albums and not a dud among them. Pearl Jam really are one of the greats.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Yup, he was just a touring addition (guitars and drums)
    Ah, I didn't know that. Are there songs where they need two drummers or three/four (if you count Ed) guitars? Or is it to give the guys a break from time to time?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The drums were from Matt getting Covid. Mostly he just played keyboards and guitar on the side. Though, that article shows Boom so I have no idea what his actual status is.

Picked up the RSD copy of the album this morning, asked about the patch that was on the floor and they said with purchase only. Oh well.

Also I have been trying to rip the bluray for the audio and it's not working at all, no matter what programs I try.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The more I listen to Dark Matter album, the more it sounds like a follow up to Eddie’s Earthling. Also a good record

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Did anyone pick the Deluxe Blu Ray version, is it worth it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What a surprise! While I like PJ a lot (they have no bad albums in my book) they have seemed like a tired band for a while now-- I've basically felt like they were becoming throwback rock as far back as their Self-Titled record. I don't mean to shit talk that album or any that came after, but there's a way that they have sounded like "an idea of Pearl Jam" more than Pearl Jam ever since their first decade. it's simply remarkable they have put out a record of this caliber at this stage in their career. It doesn't really tread a lot of new ground or anything, but it is concise, sounds awesome, and the performances are great and energetic throughout. "Wreckage" is my fav PJ song in decades-- Maybe since something off of Yield? Wow. I also wasn't a fan of the first two singles, but they sound better in context of the record and have really grown on me. The whole album is good.
    Last edited by ZeroSum; 04-22-2024 at 05:13 PM.