Page 81 of 156 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Oklahoma Governor vetoed the abortion bill.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I know this seems alarmist, but it really caught my eye.

There is now a superbug in the U.S. that is completely resistant to any antibiotic, including our 'last resort' one.

EVERYTHING IS FINE.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Shooting at UCLA campus, happening right now go to CNN or MSNBC
    Murder-suicide after all.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    http://www.wfaa.com/mb/news/nation-n...enta/226221300

Placenta is a third party or not. Bless Mississippi's heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    17yo girl fights off a rapist. The only person being charged is the girl... for owning pepper spray.
    https://www.rt.com/news/330264-denma...l-rapist-fine/

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I like how the article shifts midway in total speculative territory and decides to ignore the actual issue at hand by going "anyhoo WAS HE A MUSLIM ? MAYBE !"
    I get it, that poor girl hasn't been raped after all, everything's peachy, right ?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Holy FUCK, Orlando. </3

A gay club called The Pulse got shot-up, at least 20 dead, shooter included, possibly upwards of 40-50 injured. Heroic bouncer knocked shit down to get people out through the VIP room exit. Texts from the bathroom as the shooter descended upon the victims hiding there. Goddamn.

Cops took almost THREE HOURS to enter and kill shooter. WTF?!?

OMG. FUCKING HORRIFIC.

:-\

http://www.bbc.com/news/36510272

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Now they're saying at least 50 dead

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Worst Mass Shooting in US history now. Unbelievable. Yet, Id bet every dollar I've ever made, that still nothing will come of this, and it'll just be used as another piece of propaganda in the tired ass political debate about gun control, with a little bit of racism (and god forbid, homophobia) thrown on top for good measure.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This is just appalling. Seeing my friends "check in" as safe on Facebook is just a terrifying thing. People I know might've been there and I don't even know yet. Nothing will get changed and this will only give pro-gun Republicans a boost. I hate this place and things like this should not be able to happen in modern America.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Holy fuck, i thought this was a joke at first. Ohhhhh shit. It's on now. Shit's about to get hectic in this country, for real.
    Here comes The Unrest.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Holy fuck, i thought this was a joke at first. Ohhhhh shit. It's on now. Shit's about to get hectic in this country, for real.
    Here comes The Unrest.
    I truly don't think so. I wish this would make something happen. It probably won't. We'll fight and bicker for a few weeks and then it'll be over. Trump's numbers will get a nice little boost. Nothing will get done.

A group of elementary school children had their faces destroyed by bullets and that wasn't an agreeable enough set of victims for us to all get together and do something about it. A group of LGBT people isn't going to unite anybody.

I hate how apathetic I've become to this. I hate how if you're under 30 this is just normal. Columbine was an appetizer and we've been eating the meal ever since.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don't know that we have enough info, yet, to determine how this guy got the guns. Or if he was a part of ISIS.

Re Sandy Hook: That kid (mentally ill) stole his mother's legally-purchased guns and then killed his own mother. He broke into the locked gun cabinet.

I'd like to know how we can stop people from putting "killing" on the number one "To Do" list every time they have a grievance. Not just via guns but via bombs, etc.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-12-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I truly don't think so. I wish this would make something happen. It probably won't. We'll fight and bicker for a few weeks and then it'll be over. Trump's numbers will get a nice little boost. Nothing will get done.

A group of elementary school children had their faces destroyed by bullets and that wasn't an agreeable enough set of victims for us to all get together and do something about it. A group of LGBT people isn't going to unite anybody.

I hate how apathetic I've become to this. I hate how if you're under 30 this is just normal. Columbine was an appetizer and we've been eating the meal ever since.
    mark my words. things are about to get very fucking strange

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    There's a culture of violence that isn't going to go away no matter what because we were founded by people who felt that paying taxes to pay off a war they fought wasn't fair so they picked up some rifles and shot people. We're a country where our heroes are all basically bulging biceps of people who take action into their own hands, a culture where for pretty ever people like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are the dudes everyone sees as heroic, people who pick up a gun and shoot everybody doing something they perceive as unjust. We're a violent culture that loves our violence. It's not getting fixed.

I just don't believe anything will change in any significant way for a long time. I just don't believe it. I thought, for certain, when I saw a bunch of toddlers get their mouths blown apart that something would be different. Didn't fucking happen.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    A man with weapons and explosives was arrested on his way to the LA Pride parade.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    @kleiner352 i didn't say that the gun issue was getting fixed. I said that shit was about to get hectic.
    You aren't going to like it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    A man with weapons and explosives was arrested on his way to the LA Pride parade.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
    I guess Federal authorities are looking into whether or not the Florida shooter (they are calling him a terrorist) acted alone or if he was a part of a bigger organization targeting LGBT people.

Pete Williams of NBC News reported that Mateen called 911 and swore his allegiance to al-Baghdadi of ISIS before the shooting massacre.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-12-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I don't know that we have enough info, yet
    I think we can just shorten it to this. Holy fuck people need to stop jumping to an immediate political agenda.

I mean... The guy called 911 to pledge his allegiance to the head of ISIS just before doing the shooting. And people are already yapping about whether gun laws will or won't change and if they need to. God damn people.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 06-12-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I think that's because our American Reality has always been "mass killing" is due to somebody who is mentally ill got ahold of a gun.

Now, we have to contend with Terrorists having many guns + bombs = mass killings, and that will be the new "normal" when these things happen.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I really like the idea that maybe, just maybe this will lead to the homophobia in Islam getting discussed but I know it won't. Republicans won't want to acknowledge homophobia with a ten-foot pole (haha) and Democrats will be too afraid to offend to say anything, despite the fact that, you know, gay people get flat-out executed in many Muslim countries. I don't get how it is that it's fine to discuss homophobia in institutional Christianity despite the fact that most Christians person-to-person don't hate gay people, when the worst that American Christianity has done on a large scale has been denying rights that don't actually kill people, and yet places like Saudi Arabia can kill all the LGBT people they want and to bring it up is to be a bigot.

I don't often bitch about "PC culture" because I find the people who do often have their own version of PC culture and their own bizarre agenda (people against it often fall into a wage-gap-denying, insanely misogynistic camp, for instance) but holy hell people need to just grow a spine and address the fact that Islam does condemn on a wide-spread level LGBT people and that it says people like myself should be executed and that, unlike Christianity -- which says the same thing, and yet people don't do it at an institutional level, at least -- it actually has entire governments that obey those laws.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I think that's because our American Reality has always been "mass killing" is due to somebody who is mentally ill got ahold of a gun.

Now, we have to contend with Terrorists having many guns + bombs = mass killings, and that will be the new "normal" when these things happen.
    Now throw all that at the fucking convoluted election, the subtle way the media has been race baiting us, the way the christers will be confused as to whether or not the gays deserved it, the protests surrounding said election, being anti gay briefly being discussed as officially unamerican by major news outlets (coming soon i'll wager,) and the imminent fucking next attack, whether real or imagined, and you have yourself a recipe for shit to get Once In A Lifetime fucking Hectic.
    I fear this is the beginning of a great period of strife.

Like Year Zero 2017.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-12-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If this turns into breeders crying about 'the gay lifestyle', I swear to god...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    This appears to be radical Islam terrorism, so far anyway.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

ISIS seems to be claiming responsibility
    https://www.rt.com/news/346390-isis-...ando-shooting/

Separately, the attacker was investigated on two separate occasions by the FBI for ties to terrorism groups. He was a security guard for a juvie center. He had gun carry permits that seem to have allowed him to carry while on the job and would have required psych screening (haven't fully confirmed this). His ex-wife says he was unstable and would beat her for not having things like laundry done.

Meanwhile, Obama gives a speech in which he mentions gun control but nothing about the possible ISIS ties. Places like /r/news are censoring he shit out of anything pointing toward Islamic mention. On the good side, it seems like a lot of "the left" want to discuss the Islamic ties.

I'm curious how much of this turns out to be true.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 06-12-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This shit gets crazier every second.

Meanwhile, reading the idiot comments on WaPo for their streaming press conference is worse, where people are saying this is "all Obama's fault." Huh?

Obama said: "We know enough to say this was an act of terror and act of hate."
    Last edited by allegro; 06-12-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    oh, it will, trust me. but they will also be confused. Some high level Baptist preacher WILL say that "maybe Islamic terrorism is punishment for gay marriage" any fucking second now.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    oh, it will, trust me. but they will also be confused. Some high level Baptist preacher WILL say that "maybe Islamic terrorism is punishment for gay marriage" any fucking second now.
    I mean Lt. Governor of Texas Dan Patrick already posted a Galatians verse about reaping what you sow. This is nothing new. Why anyone thinks any of this is somehow unprecedented is beyond me. I grew up in an America where this is all old hat. The only thing that surprises me is how surprised anyone is.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    also, i have been watching the coverage on cbsn and, not gonna lie, fucking WEEPING.
    This CAN NOT be the new normal. I CANT HANG WITH THIS SHIT.
    Hearing the reporter say "people thought they were going to have a good time," seeing the video of the injured and possibly dead being carried out, seeing the footage of the mom who can't find her son, and the photos of the anguished survivors.

This is not another mass shooting, this is the only seriously successful terror attack on our country in my adult life (i was a kid at 21, bet that,) and precisely the type of thing i feared post 9/11: probable lone wolf attacks of precisely this nature.

It took 15 years and a new, more powerful demon rising from the ashes of our own middle eastern jumblefucks to inspire it, and a new, bigger middle eastern jumblefuck, but alas, we are here.

also, i've never watched the details from a shooting like this emerge in real time. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck SAKE.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-12-2016 at 03:37 PM.