Page 46 of 156 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    As I stated earlier Chili had an 8.1 earthquake last night after it was announced CNN went back to speculating on the missing plane and right now they are still talking about the missing plane.
    With regards to earthquakes I do find it troubling when you think of what they call the pacific ring of fire. There are fault lines that run along the coast of South America as well as North America. This purely speculation on my part but I have noticed that when there is a large earthquake in the Southern Hemisphere along the pacific side there seems to be a counter balance earthquake in the northern hemisphere along the pacific side. I'm not making a prediction but simply stating the peculiarity of it. There have been recent minor earthquakes in the Los Angeles area and I'm not saying the next big will be in Los Angeles it could be in Alaska. I was in the Northridge quake in Los Angeles in 1994 and it was no picnic and depending upon what news source you use you either hear that the Northridge quake was a 6.7 or a 7.1 either way it was a strong quake. As a displaced Angelino I'm concerned for my many friends in Los Angeles. It's not a prediction as far as if an earthquake will happen but when. It could be San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver or somewhere in Alaska. I find this Chili quake very troubling, but hey it's not a missing plane. I do realize that I myself am speculating but the difference between me and CNN is that I'm not broadcasting news 24/7.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    What exactly do you expect CNN to report about the earthquake? It happened at night, after dark, so there would be no video. If it was a major disaster, communications would be disrupted. There's not much to say right after something like that happens, and as it was the president of Chile didn't have much to say even the next morning. "The fact is, we will know the extent of the damage as time goes by and when we inspect the areas in the light of day," Chile's President Michelle Bachelet said early Wednesday. "The country has faced these first emergency hours very well."

You can fault CNN for endlessly reporting on a story with no updates (but at least it has some mystery and intrigue), but don't fault them for not reporting on something when there wasn't anything for them to give you.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    They don't really have to continually report on the earthquake but an 8.1 quake is very strong. When you get into the 8's and 9's with earthquakes you are talking about devastation. It has never stopped CNN in the past from endlessly reporting on the Haiti quake or the quake in Japan which was almost complete devastation especially after the tsunami.
    I don't think I am alone here after reading some of the other posts here that it's time for CNN to give this fucking missing plane a rest until they have something new to report on. There are a lot of stories going on in the world and they don't know what happened to this plane and have nothing new to report on.
    Sometimes I just want to turn on a news channel and get an update as to what is happening in the world. You can't watch FOX because it's politically biased for conservatives and MSNBC is biased for liberals and the only thing CNN can talk about is the fucking plane. The news media is fucked. The sad thing is if CNN isn't talking about missing planes they go back to celebutard news which isn't news it's junk food for the brain we already have E! Entertainment cover celebrity news and personally I don't give a fuck what Katy Perry or Justin Bieber are doing. I will say this about FOX and MSNBC they have both moved on from the missing plane.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    They don't really have to continually report on the earthquake but an 8.1 quake is very strong. When you get into the 8's and 9's with earthquakes you are talking about devastation. It has never stopped CNN in the past from endlessly reporting on the Haiti quake or the quake in Japan which was almost complete devastation especially after the tsunami. .
    They did that after there was actually news to report.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    All three channels are covering this shooting at fort hood at the moment.

On one other side note about this missing plane on the day they first reported flight 370 missing my yahoo email account sends me news stories. Ironically one of the stories yahoo reported on was a story about this great white shark that they tagged off the coast of Florida to monitor its movements. The story went on to say that in the last year they have monitored this twenty foot female shark travelled across the Atlantic up as far as Ireland (which I didn't even think they could go into water that cold). I remember because it was right before St. Patricks day and somebody posted a comment that shark went to Ireland for st pattys day.
    It did make me think that in this digital age when they can track a shark over the Atlantic Ocean, people who commit murders and robberies are convicted on digital evidence based off of what cell phone tower their phone pinged off of.
    That this antiquated system of transponders(which can be turned off) and black boxes that can take up to two years to find in the ocean, that they can't track a plane with regards to altitude, speed and direction with the new technologies that are available today. I just watched a forensic files show where this guy murdered somebody went on the run, had a friend that drove an 18 wheel transport truck and when law enforcement contacted the trucking company they knew to the mile where this truck was in Nebraska. Why can't they do that with a plane? More than likely the airlines are too cheap to install this technology.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The San Francisco anti-tech/gentrification protests have hit an interesting point this weekend. They decided to protest Kevin Rose.
    Kevin went on Leo Laporte's show to chat about it. It's absolutely hilarious. It reminds me a bit of the old TechTV Screen Savers episodes when the two worked together.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    that they can't track a plane with regards to altitude, speed and direction with the new technologies that are available today.
    If the general public had ANY idea how many planes are up there in the sky at the same time, they may never fly again, LOL.

then we have another problem ...

see this

YIKES!!!!
    Last edited by allegro; 04-08-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I keep telling myself I shouldn't have such a big issue with religious fundies, live and let live, blah blah blah, and then I hear about some bs like this, and I'm reminded why it's so vital that we as a society grow up and stop believing in fairy tales.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    ^ I"m facepalming the article.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I keep telling myself I shouldn't have such a big issue with religious fundies, live and let live, blah blah blah, and then I hear about some bs like this, and I'm reminded why it's so vital that we as a society grow up and stop believing in fairy tales.
    People like this make me ashamed to be from Minnesota. What's even worse is that this chucklehead could with that Congressional district. Here's hoping that the smart people in those college towns will keep this fundie douche from going to Washington.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post

If that makes her cry, wait til she has to work out

lim
    x-> 0
    -1/(1-x)-cos(x)
    2cos(x)sin(x)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    If that makes her cry, wait til she has to work out

lim
    x-> 0
    -1/(1-x)-cos(x)
    2cos(x)sin(x)

lim
    x-> 0
    -1/(1-x)-cos(x)
    2cos(x)sin(x)

=

cum in vagina

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    lim
    x-> 0
    -1/(1-x)-cos(x)
    2cos(x)sin(x)

=

cum in vagina

I really shouldn't post here when I'm drunk. I don't even remember posting that lol.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I wonder if he continues on with the character, or it will be as himself.

Should be interesting, either way. But he won't get away with nearly as much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I wonder if he continues on with the character, or it will be as himself.

Should be interesting, either way. But he won't get away with nearly as much.
    From Twitter:

Bill Carter ‏@wjcarter 9m
    Colbert: "I won't be doing the new show in character, so we'll all get to find out how much of him was me. I'm looking forward to it."

Bill Carter being the author of The Late Shift about the succession battle for Carson between Letterman & Leno.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Interesting! I've never seen anything from him other than The Colbert Report.

I'm happy for him! Good dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/09/justic...hool-stabbing/ a kid stabbed 22 people in pennsylvania. i don't know how he got that far, no one thought to run away or like, try to hit him or anything.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    All the teachers should have had knives.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Ban high capacity assault knives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ban knives that don't fall apart after a single use, save the children. stop eating food that requires knife use.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Ban high capacity assault knives
    I sure hope by that statement, that you do not imply that the end result would have be the same if he had used an assault rifle instead of two kitchen knives.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I sure hope by that statement, that you do not imply that the end result would have be the same if he had used an assault rifle instead of two kitchen knives.
    My statement was poking fun at the inconsistency of panic and regulatory demands when the weapon is anything but a gun. 22 people hit in the span of 5min. That's more than many of the gun situations that cause national freakouts.

A change in weapon doesn't change these situations. The root cause and the fix are still the same. Until grown adults can address this, the problem will not improve.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    My statement was poking fun at the inconsistency of panic and regulatory demands when the weapon is anything but a gun. 22 people hit in the span of 5min. That's more than many of the gun situations that cause national freakouts.

A change in weapon doesn't change these situations. The root cause and the fix are still the same. Until grown adults can address this, the problem will not improve.
    The number of people hit is irrelevant. The number of deaths is what truly matter.
    In this case, that number is 0.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The number of people hit is irrelevant. The number of deaths is what truly matter.
    In this case, that number is 0.
    I'll address this by role playing as a knife control advocate who uses the same logic as a gun control advocate.

So stabbing is cool and requires no sort of intervention? We should allow it in our schools? This needs to be stopped. One knife is too many in our schools. Knives are the chosen weapon when you want to inflict severe pain and damage on someone. There are thousands of people who DIE every year from knife violence. This weapon is also a weapon of stealth. Very few people knew what was happening in the PA stabbings. A CHILD had to pull the fire alarm to alert his schoolmates to get out of the building.

Besides, there have been several mass stabbings where people were killed. Where was your "knives don't kill people" statement when this happened? Your disgusting need to have a knife killed these people. Are you seriously rationalizing knife violence in our schools?! Maybe you can tell the 4 people in critical condition from the PA stabbing that you are ok with it because they didn't die and thus don't "truly matter"
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 04-15-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    My point was that I would rather have 20 kids stabbed with no deaths than 2 kids killed by gunfire.
    That's my personal opinion of course.

And knives do kill people of course...
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/04...-young-people/

But I won't adhere to the idea that knives are as dangerous as guns.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 04-15-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    My point was that I would rather have 20 kids stabbed with no deaths than 2 kids killed by gunfire.
    That's my personal opinion of course.

And knives do kill people of course...
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/04...-young-people/

But I won't adhere to the idea that knives are as dangerous as guns.
    Right, but that's not the choice you are making. You aren't having to choose between kids getting shot vs stabbed. It's that false choice that is being used as justification for NOT acting on stabbings and being outraged at the accessibility of knives to a similar degree as what unfolds during shootings. I think it is the justifications for the inconsistency that shed some light on the true nature of ANY type of mass violence/harm.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Right, but that's not the choice you are making. You aren't having to choose between kids getting shot vs stabbed. It's that false choice that is being used as justification for NOT acting on stabbings and being outraged at the accessibility of knives to a similar degree as what unfolds during shootings. I think it is the justifications for the inconsistency that shed some light on the true nature of ANY type of mass violence/harm.
    Ugh, jesus this is a silly argument in this thread so can we please stop? But I'll just say this: we do have knife control in schools. Kids have had the brilliant idea of bringing switchblades to school since the Sharks vs. the Jets and that's not legal, either. But the smartasses thinking it's funny to compare knives and guns when a bunch of kids are stabbed by an obviously disturbed kid who grabbed a couple of his mom's really fucking sharp Japanese kitchen chef knives are just being assholes.

Can we PLEASE get back to "random general headlines" in this thread?????
    Last edited by allegro; 04-16-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Eric Bolling believes the US should ditch labor laws and minimum wages because Chinese people work harder than Americans.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/1...na-works-hard/